Draw a cartoon of Muhammad, youre basically fucked

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    goddam, who gives a shit? some people need to do the 3 soulstrut golden rules. drink a 40, smoke a blunt, and get laid.

a cartoon. boo fucking hoo.

"In Gaza, masked gunmen briefly took over an office used by the EU, demanding an apology from Denmark and Norway."

seriously? what the fuck?!?!?!?!?

• goddam, who gives a shit? some people need to do the 3 soulstrut golden rules. drink a 40, smoke a blunt, and get laid.

"In Gaza, masked gunmen briefly took over an office used by the EU, demanding an apology from Denmark and Norway."

Dude, i know cultural sensitivity is not your strong point, but it's forbidden in Islam to draw ANY picture of Muhammad, let alone a silly/satiristic one.

• wow, someone royally fucked up

i hope you don't mean the person that drew the pictures or the newspapers

yes that is who i meant. I didn't know you were into blasphemy

goddam, who gives a shit? some people need to do the 3 soulstrut golden rules. drink a 40, smoke a blunt, and get laid.

Dude, i know cultural sensitivity is not your strong point, but it's forbidden in Islam to draw ANY picture of Muhammad, let alone a silly/satiristic one.

Fine, then to them I say don't draw pictures. But getting pissed because somebody in denmark drew a picture??????

And you are right though, I'm not culturally sensitive. To drawring hatters I say fuck off.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

wow, someone royally fucked up

Huh? Not to sound like a neo-con but which side are you taking here?

oh lord have mercy. I get the feeling this isn't sarcasm, in which case I don't know what to say.

I eat pork all the time and thats blasphemous to some people. My GF doesn't cover her entire body, including her face. I say "goddamit" all them time. I'm not afraid to write a friends name in red ink.....

• Do I have to be on a side? I wouldn't advocate filling your bidet with holy water either.

• Gary, eating pork is not the same as drawing the holiest man in the world's largest religion as a bomb toting terrorist.

Shoulda never posted this. The intellectual discourse on this site is really not worth it.

oh dont give me that shit, are you for nutty christians taking hostages over some lame artist putting pig dung on a picture of mary?

• oh dont give me that shit, are you for nutty christians taking hostages over some lame artist[/b] putting pig dung on a picture of mary?

i wouldn't call chris ofili a lame artist...

oh dont give me that shit, are you for nutty christians taking hostages over some lame artist putting pig dung on a picture of mary?

Are you prepared to defend a lame newspaper cartoon as high art?

I do not have to advocate hostage-taking to recognize that neither the paper nor the artist acted in a very smart or forward-thinking fashion.

It's a lot of trouble to cause, hope they had a good laugh.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Do I have to be on a side? I wouldn't advocate filling your bidet with holy water either.

but would go peepee on the Tooth Fairy while she's sucking off Santa Claus as the Easter Bunny beats off in the corner?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Are you prepared to defend a lame newspaper cartoon as high art?

I do not have to advocate hostage-taking to recognize that neither the paper nor the artist acted in a very smart or forward-thinking fashion.

It's a lot of trouble to cause, hope they had a good laugh.

are you saying that if a drawing was made in the context of high art that it would be ok?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

The funny thing I guess killing for god is ok though.

• johnny you are really wrong on this one, really wrong!

• This kind of sums up why I hate pretty much all religions (or should I say all religious zealots of whichever faith). They have no sense of humor and flexibilty and understanding of other ways of thinking just aren't in their vocabulary.

yeah. I dont see how just becuase someone religion says that you cant draw him that that means NOONE can draw him. If you dont follow the tenents of that religion, you can do what you like.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    it's forbidden in Islam to draw ANY picture of Muhammad, let alone a silly/satiristic one.

From what I understand, 'the Hadith forbids making pictures of living things because this is an attempt to imitate Allah in His act of Creation,' which is why Islamic architecture historically has elaborate motif patterns and designs, but usually no pictoral scenes of people, figures, animals, vegetation, etc.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    johnny you are really wrong on this one, really wrong!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Well believe it or not, this is a MAJOR issue right now between Denmark and the majority of arab countries in the Middle East and Northern Africa. The danish dairy product giant Arla Foods just pulled out of all their activities in Saudi Arabia because of the boycott. 800 people fired and a 64 million $ expansion plan was buried. Two of their salesmen were assaulted in Mekka.

This is being made into a symbol of western arrogance, and a lot of accumulated frustrations in muslim countries are being released because of this issue. My girlfriend just visited Cairo, and she was told not to go around telling everybody she is danish, as to not stir up any unnecessary confrontations with the locals. I believe in freedom of speech, but I also believe that these drawing were a pretty stupid move by Jyllands-Posten (danish conservative newspaper), given how the situation is over here.

I don't know man, things are just getting a little out of hand right now

You can see the charicature drawings in question here:

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Gallery/28.htm

Yes, they might seem harmless to a lot of people, but muslims are really taking offence to them.

• I think that in most people's minds there is a desire to protect artistic freedom, however there is also a desire not to see a Virgin Mary with dung on it or a Prophet Muhammad with a bomb on his head. I thought the Shitty Mary in the Brooklyn Museum was awful.

I don't think it's OK either way. I think it's in terrible taste and not a very smart thing to do.

Seriously. just because you beleive in something, don't expect the rest of the world to give a fuck.

Look, these guys had every right to be offended. Just like catholics were offended by the "bloody mary" south park.

So if you are offended, make a public statement saying that you find the drawing offensive. Maybe ask for an apology. The cartoonist might look like an ass, or he could apologize and then end of story.

taking hostages and acting like fucking stoogetards on the other hand, then its the religious nutballs that look like asses.

Like the "God Hates Fags" people. To those people I say "Fuck off, and Get over it."

I think it's in terrible taste and not a very smart thing to do.

This is true for sure.

I dont support the "Shitty mary" either, but for I wouldnt go so far as to say they are wrong, or the shouldnt do it.

• I think it's in terrible taste and not a very smart thing to do.

This is true for sure.

I dont support the "Shitty mary" either, but for I wouldnt go so far as to say they are wrong, or the shouldnt do it.

This thread kind of makes me sick. The "Hey, we'll feel free to piss on Muhammad's grave if we like" attitude is kind of disturbing.

I don't know if there are any devout Muslims on this board. Terdstream, you sure do pick your battles - if this was anti-gay would you feel differently?

I didn't in any post say this was personally offensive or that the artist couldn't do it, merely that it was not very smart and a "fuck up".

• I think it's in shitty[/b] taste and not a very smart thing to do.
    shitty[/b]

• The concept of "blaspehmy" requires some sort of faith, any kind. Some people have none (faith), so they gives a fuck.

I understand Johnny Paycheck's point as well. Some lines it's smarter not to cross.

There's no accounting for taste, and apparently there's also no accounting for religious zealotry.

• hi!

well, i for one am personally offended that there is mention of a silly cartoon, yet there is no evidence of said silly cartoon to back it up. WHAT THE FUCK. show the damn cartoon already. i dont want to read about that shit! but NOOOOOO alls i get here is the same bunch of goofballs arguing about some shit. WHERE'S THE DAMN CARTOON!!![/b] i'll be the judge as to whether its silly or not.

thnak you

This thread kind of makes me sick. The "Hey, we'll feel free to piss on Muhammad's grave if we like" attitude is kind of disturbing.

I didn't in any post say this was personally offensive or that the artist couldn't do it, merely that it was not very smart and a "fuck up".

these seem like contridictory statements.

Maybe it is not smart. But the fact stands that people can hate or "piss" on anyones grave. Its no different than the Jesus pics that people throw around here. Its not different than using "the lords" name in vain.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I was surprised to find this out, but in a lot of religions, you can't depict religious figures because of the fear of idolotry. I met this one guy who was ultra orthodox and he wouldn't even keep a photograph or realistic drawing of anyone in his house (family photos, comic books, paintings) because he thought they could represent false idols. I thought that was really something - very different from anythinh I had ever seen before.