Gettin’ Right...Health-Wise!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited March 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
Hey Guys,

You're killing me with all that fast-food talk. The wife and I are "gettin' right" health-wise by working out regularly, eating right, and quitting smoking. I'm approaching 40 years old (in 4 years) where all the problems start, so "Time Has Come Today". The last few years I've kind of let my lifestyle slide down the proverbial hill. I already eat right, outside of the occasional "Whopper" fiendin' and sweets. Gettin' my fat ass on the treadmill (right beside my bed, mind you) 5 times a week is a must because I lay around too damn much. But, quitting smoking is gonna be a bitch!!!! I'm nic-fittin' right now. Anybody else trying to get right health-wise?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
TAGGED:

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Trying! Eat less, more frequently (to keep metabolism up) and take walks around campus (briskly!!!!) Cardio+weights.

AND with smoking, I read where this guy ate a carrot everytime he got the urge to smoke a cigarette. He ate so many that the beta carotene turned his skin yellow. Weird but TRUE!!!

Peace

T.N.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I try to go to the gym at least three times a week but I usually end up too tired after twelve hours of school and work. This past summer I was going four times a week and felt great. Hopefully I can keep that up this summer.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    lay off the carbs and cheese. my diet for the last few years has been on some disgraceful shit. i'm talkin like 70% carbs and cheese with little to no ruffage....i am a tall lanky fuck but i definitely have a gut coming through....bike rides though and a trip the gym and the occasional sit up/push up session at home will make all the difference

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I just got back into my running schedule (3-4 miles outside, 5 times a week). I used to fuck around and try cardio at the gym but it just isn't the same as running outdoors. I also started playing badminton, and will most likely start playing tennis again when it gets warmer. On the diet tip, I eat lots of vegetables and lean protein, and have recently substituted soy bean oil for vegetable oil which cut a substantial amount of saturated fat out of my diet. Beer is still my greatest enemy. For real though, it's CRAZY how much better you'll feel (mentally and physically) after only a few weeks of living right.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I just got back into my running schedule (3-4 miles outside, 5 times a week). I used to fuck around and try cardio at the gym but it just isn't the same as running outdoors. I also started playing badminton, and will most likely start playing tennis again when it gets warmer. On the diet tip, I eat lots of vegetables and lean protein, and have recently substituted soy bean oil for vegetable oil which cut a substantial amount of saturated fat out of my diet. Beer is still my greatest enemy. For real though, it's CRAZY how much better you'll feel (mentally and physically) after only a few weeks of living right.

Yeah Breakself,

That's the weird thing, I've been an active guy all my life. I pushed the boundaries a bit on some lifestyle shit back then (drink, buddah, and bonin'), but otherwise, lived a fairly clean life. I don't know what happened in the last few years, but it was like I said "fuck it". Got all big and stopped working out consistently. Shit, I used to dunk before I got married. Huh? Maybe there is an insight, getting married makes you...lazy!!!! No excuse, but that seems to be around the time my lifestyle started slippin' though. I never kept sweets in the house until I got married and didn't have great (but good) home cookin' either as a bachelor.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    not toally healthy living but one thing i have done to get some more greens into my diet is to blend a fistful of baby spinach into my morning smoothies. sounds nasty but spinach doesnt really have a powerful scent/taste so it goes down pretty smoothly. throw in a carrot, some berries, vegan rice protein, OJ and soy milk and youve got yourself one powerful smoothie / way to start your day...

oh yeah, get at least some cardio in your daily grind and no munchies after 9pm.

good luck.
    -rich

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i quit smoking cold turkey 8 1/2 months ago.

im trying to eat better, my girl and i started rolling sushi the other night and we are already getting pretty decent at it. and if you get the crabstick at the grocery store its pretty cheap. i dont know how good that is for you though, the crabstick.

salads too, i need to eat some more of them.

my problem is the beer. i drink a healthy amount. like chill out at the house making beats or whatever and drink 4 or five beers. i need to cut that shit out and save it for when i go out.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Maybe there is an insight, getting married makes you...lazy!!!!

ABSOLUTELY!! About a year after I started dating my present girlfriend I just got apathetic about living healthy. I was so comfortable with the relationship i just figured, 'who do i have to impress when i'm coming home to a dime piece urrr night?'. The problem is the laziness extends to the rest of your life and before you know it you're spending 6 hours a day on soulstrut and 6 on ebay.

stay focused.

no munchies after 9pm.

This one is really difficult for me, but so necessary.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I've been making some changes in the way I live lately. Somehow I lost 15lbs since December. I still don't get it. 185->170 like woah. I don't know what exactly is working, but this is what I've been doing recently:

B-boy practices 3x a week has really gotten my lively hood back. It whipped me into shape when I was in high-school, and now I'm continuing to get back to where I left off. Haven't felt this good since 18.

NO MORE SODA! I'm doing away with the sugars. And have been substituting most of my snack craves with hot tea or cold water. I totally curbed the fast food as well, except for quiznos and subway. Making my rations a little smaller than norm too. I didn't think I could get thru the day without a whole footlong sub at one point.

I've also been staying up much later and sleeping less. Maybe this is effecting a lot. Even though I'm just busy working on this computer for most of these extra hours in my day.

But yeah man. Good luck with it all, especially the smoking (that might be the toughest). The whole key is consistency. I've been told if you can be strict with something for 30 days straight, you can be strict with it for life, but you have to muscle your way through those first 30 days. They are the most important days. They will set the tone.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!
    NO MORE SODA!

• just think about your the records you can buy if you don't buy junk food.

I don't drink soda, eat candy bars, chips, ice cream cuz they all cost too much.

When I go shopping I don't buy no junk food cuz the bill is too high with just the shit I need. (Cuz I wait till the fridge's empty before I go buy groceries)

The hardest part is making my girl not buy junk food.

She got me hooked on them mini ranch rice cakes. Also ice pops are good.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    NO MORE SODA!

Yeah, leave that sh*t alone... it does nothing good for you. Rots your teeth, gives you a gut, and if it's got caffiene the sh*t can be seriously addictive. Getting off of Coke (the Cola, I mean) was no easy task for me- crazy headaches errrday. I'm almost strictly Juicy Juice now and have been for awhile. Still need to drink more water, but water is just sooooo boring. There's nothing better for your body, though.

I have GOT to get into shape this summer, or at least some semblance of it. I don't think I'll ever see my 175 lb. well defined torso with the abs of steel again, though... it just gets so much more difficult to stay disciplined as you get older. I'm gon' try regardless.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I'm on my fourth attempt to quit smoking. I only started in the first place when my college girlfriend dumped me. Two years later we got back together but by then I had the habit. Two years after that and now she's telling me everyday to quit. Yesterday, I found a couple old butts in my apartment, squeezed the tobac out of them and made myself a fresh cig. (I don't think that counts.) Is there any credence to gradually weening yourself off the smokes -- like 15 a day, then a month later ten a day....?

Oh and I'm trying to eat more fish but am worried about mercury poisoning. If I quit smoking so I can be an old dude, don't I want to have my mind intact???

• Capri Sun is ganKsta too!

And ice cold water is the sh!t

the only fattening shit I wont stop drinking is beer and alcohol.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn, yall are all on some good shit.
    when kids at hte school ask me what to do, firs tthing i mention is the soda. kill it. keep in mind even 100% juice is mad sugar too. its just that juice has good vitamins,etc. along with it (but not as much as the whole fruit).

ive been severly time challenged lately, not much time for gym and working out. i try to exercise while working....biking to work , skipping elevators, etc.
    sets of situps, pushups, pullups, etc whenever i get the chance...even if its spread throghout the day.

whole grains...protein,fiber,vitmains, minerals, antioxidants...its superfood. refined grains (whitebread,whiterice,etc) is pretty much just starch, soon to be sugar...not doing anything for you.

i still got along way to go...theres a lot of habits i gotta learn. but our world is designed for overworked, sedentary, convenience living.....its hard for an individual to stay healthy in this shit.

good look yall. especialmente with the cigarillos, stacks. no more pocket money to jesse helms! fuck that follllll!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Damn, I want a cigarette. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!! I'm fiendin' like Pookie!!! I've stopped cold-turkey.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Become a vegetarian. I lost like 30 + pounds.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Become a vegetarian.

Yep. I get absolutely no exercise but at 35 years old and 5'11", I've been able to stay around 165lb-175lbs by never smoking in my life, eating right with no meat or dairy, no soft drinks (ok maybe 1 a week), and about 2 gallons (no joke) of water a day. Sure I drink a lot more beer since I started DJing 4 years ago, and would probably weigh 160lbs if I didn't. But hey, I can still fit into my 1995 wedding suit without worrying about that top trouser button popping off so it's all good.

Good luck Stacks from a fellow Carolinian wishing you
    NONSTOP WILLPOWER??MY MAN

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Damn, I want a cigarette. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!! I'm fiendin' like Pookie!!! I've stopped cold-turkey.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

run around the block. and do 4 sets of 20pushups. proceed to taking shower, and pigging out while watching t.v. does the trick for me.

almost 2 months cold-turkey for me. we in this together PEOPLES!

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Fast food joints aren't the problem... It's getting the wrong food at those places that's the problem. The key is learning what's decent and what's just asking for a heart attack. In that Wendy's thread I mentioned what I got, which was the Ultimate Chicken Grill and chili rather than fries. That's actually not a bad meal health-wise right there. I haven't set foot in a McDonalds in like 6 years to buy food for myself though because that place is bereft of any decent healthy food whatsoever (do I get bonus points for using "bereft" in a sentence??). Even their salads are loaded with fat and calories!

Anyhow, I've gone to the gym off and on for a number of years now, but I just turned 31 and it's just high time I get serious about getting in shape and not dying of a heart attack. Honestly, getting to the gym and exercising is the easy part. I actually enjoy going to the gym and lifting weights. For the past couple weeks I've been going to the gym 4-5 times a week and doing cardio, and tonight I got back into lifting again. For me the hard part is always eating properly. Due to having my gall bladder removed I don't eat stuff high in fat and that means I don't really eat much in the way of red meat, so that's a good thing. My cholesterol is 185 and my blood pressure is low so that shit's in check. The problem is really just avoiding sugar.

My main downfall is soda, just like has been mentioned already. Goddamn, I love me some Coke. You have to understand that I don't smoke, I don't drink, don't do any drugs at all, so Coke is like my one big vice. I'm trying to switch over to drinking unflavored ice tea rather than Coke, but it's a BITCH finding unsweetened tea in the "south", I tell ya.

People act like it's hard to lose weight but it's really not rocket science. Back about 5 years ago I started going to the gym and just running on the treadmill about 4 days a week, and I cut Coke out of my diet. Within a year I went from 280 pounds down to 210 pounds without a whole lot of effort aside from just exercising and not eating crappy.

• I am getting really serious about this shit. You know what's funny though? The only way for me to do it is to cut out the bad shit. Cold turkey. No moderation. Just quit it.

I never smoked cigs so that ain't a struggle but I'll tell you ephesema took my dad out at age 74 and it was totally sad. He was a former smoker. Quit when he was 40 or so and it still nailed him in the end.

My herbal intake however is present but very limited. Minor inhilation at that. No B, just twiddle sticks. My adult beverage intake is at a low. I barfed last time I went there so I am not really feeling the need.

Caffeine: quit in 1997 and have not had coffee, caffeinated tea or caffienated soda even once since. It did wonders for me to drop this overlooked sinister drug addiction that 90 percent of the developed world is hooked on.

Soda, fast food, candy: quit it all last year. will not even take a bite or a sip. Nothing. Never again. McDonalds, taco bell, jack in the box... it is all garbage. Soda... straight poison. carbonated water with syurp in it. Candy... It's poison... I gave it up. What a revelation. I dropped 10 pounds and did nothing except bail this shit ( I am still 10 pounds overweight ).

I eat mostly veg with chicken and fish once or twice a week or so and red meat once a week at the most. I'm feeling better than ever and take pride in the fact that i am clean and feel good.

I am into Kombuca and herbs and shit like that. I get off on that shit.

Working out... oh boy. Let's just say i am the book and record type. All mental and super sendentary. I need to get with that shit fast.

Nevertheless i got a physical and my check up was cool.

So... Stan Kaplan has high cholestorol. My boy EH told me so. Factor that. Check yourself before you wreck yourself. My boy LL went down in flames. It was ugly. Age 64. I decided i want to live to age 97. That is my goal.

Best of health to you and yours,

ap

• oh and by the way i am still a total sugar addict. cookies, clif bars and assorted other crap. i am still working on that one. every day i have to have something or else in 72 hours i will have a spliting headache and can't get my ass up out of bed.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I've been vegetarian for 5 years now, no meat whatsoever. I go back and forth with the coffee/soda/caffeine though. Wish I could quit it for good. I probably drink too much but overall I feel pretty healthy. All these stupid fast food threads have been grossing me out lately. I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat that garbage but hey that's just me, it's your life.

• yea... i do not think coffee and all that is so bad. it seems that i just quit because i got ill off too much ice tea one day and just dropped it

i was veg for 14 years and went meat again about 5 years ago. i found myself weekend by the veg thing. i need my clean protien. i was not a good enough veg to do it right. nothing is worse that the veg man who is nothing but a bread and bean and cheese fat ass. to be veg you got to be into the serious healthy diet to pull it off. to many years of grilled cheese sandwiches and bagels and creamcheese brought me down. the chicken breast and peas and curry powder now a days keeps me lean and clean.

ap

True. I didn't drink coffee for a full year last year and then all of a sudden I started up again. I live in dreary Seattle though plus my girlfriend is a barista so there you have it. Maybe I'll try to quit the coffee again, we'll see. I love the taste and the routine of starting the day off with coffee is my problem. Oh well.

• you can always try tea. it can be awesome. more varites than coffee, many positive health properties and lots of good decaf items. you gotta have something in the cold weather climate.

oh don't get me wrong, I drink a lot of tea. Throughout the week I probably drink tea half the time and coffee the other half. And I'll order single tall's. I'm not tryin to drink big gulps of caffeine ya know?

• tea or coffee... you can't go wrong. just don't eat any dog shit and you should be OK.

Dogshits not healthy? I thought that it had the proper nutrients and vitamins.

That mar dell lp might make me feel a lil healthier, you find that "pile" yet?

• dude...

i will find it soon. i got to dig through all this shit, mardell rules by the way... how did you hear about her? talk about healthy. she is the nature nugget of the poetry woman scene. if those thugs who were talking bullshit in that " pimp and ho " thread earlier today could just hear her they would be reformed feminists in a mico-second. she is the sensitivity we need up in here. she embodies the true meaning of beauty and she glows with the life force. she is my penpal by the way. she sends me poetry via the internet and sends bearded d care packages. factor that.

ap