MovieStrut reccomendations!! (NRR)

124»

Comments

• anybody think 'birdy' is a great film???

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Jet Li + Yuen Wo-ping...enough said.

This is also

What is this called? SPL? Do you know if it's available on Netflix? I can't find it under the name Netflix.

Only Region 3 DVD is out for the time being, so I would not be surprised if Netflix does not have it yet. So if you happen to have a region-free DVD player, I reckon you can cop a copy of Region 3 in Chinatown easy.

The early versions of SPL were PAL. The region free NTSC versions came out a week or two back. But yeah.. I don't think its on Netflix yet. But maybe, since HKflix did have it and it's now backordered.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.536610/qx/details.htm

But yeah.. Pick it up on the cheap in Chinatown

dude, haha, just started working for HKFlix at the warehouse in Oakland. Shipping out shitloads of Sha Po Lang every day. I guess I should probably take one home then. Crazy, I'm getting knowledged on all types of classic kung fu, blxploitation, new Asian and Euro releases over there on some STRENGTH!

So far watched:

can't believe I hadn't seen this all these years.

Also crucial.

Shit was decent, but too much gore and not enough plot or character development.

Bout to check out this tonight:

and got these to peep out as well:

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

antonioni is amazing.

except for that rancid piece of turd he put in "Eros"

dude is quality though, but goddam that segment was awful.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

last movie that I really fell in love with was "Lost In Time". It is rare nowadays to see a hk film with real emotion, even if it veers towards sappyness at times. Plus Lau Ching Wan is the Bill Murray of hk cinema, dude just doesn't get the proper recognition he deserves.

About to pop in either......

or

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

I LOVE MY KARAGARGA

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I LOVE MY KARAGARGA

Seriously one of the greatest inventions of all mankind.

- spidey

• saw this last night. highly recommended; best film i've seen in 2006.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I LOVE MY KARAGARGA

Seriously one of the greatest inventions of all mankind.

- spidey

Whats your handle over there?

• thanks to Moss for passing this to me.
    it is phenomenal[/b]...if it came out last year - it it's in my top three of 2005. and if it's this year - it'll be in my top three of 2006.

Can someone explain to me what's so special about Innocence? Sure, it's really nice visually, the actresses do a fine job etc, but the story just didn't cut it for me. I felt as if the director was afraid or unwilling to address the questions she raises in the story. The director said something about feeling completely clueless upon reading the novel for the first time-- I don't think she was ever able to lose all that uncertainty and it shows in the film, in my opinion. The water fountains at the end? Way too blatant.

And I just searched for Panic in Needle Park at play.com-- it's cheap (not sure about the shipping costs to the US though) so if you've got a region-free dvd player...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

thanks to Moss for passing this to me.
    it is phenomenal[/b]...if it came out last year - it it's in my top three of 2005. and if it's this year - it'll be in my top three of 2006.

Can someone explain to me what's so special about Innocence? Sure, it's really nice visually, the actresses do a fine job etc, but the story just didn't cut it for me. I felt as if the director was afraid or unwilling to address the questions she raises in the story. The director said something about feeling completely clueless upon reading the novel for the first time-- I don't think she was ever able to lose all that uncertainty and it shows in the film, in my opinion. The water fountains at the end? Way too blatant.

what questions did she raise and not address?

i liked the uncertainty - it makes sense in a movie which is essentially about growing up.

i loved how it was cut in a way that represented memory.

i thought the pacing was fantastic - the shift from one girl's story to the next was seamless. it is a great celebration of female play and form and it very accurately captured some aspects of female maturation. i like that any ominous or dark thoughts are strictly those of the viewer's.

i had no idea if the story was set in the past, present or future. the isolation was perfectly depicted.

the water-fountains were definitely blatant and i loved that about it.

i think it is a beautiful fairy-tale. a beautiful film can go a long way for me.

• a beautiful film can go a long way for me.

Indeed, I've loved many a film for this reason, and thus it surprises me a bit that I find this one somewhat pretentious and lacking substance. At that age, a lot of things seem mysterious that really aren't, sure. That point could've been made without all those "subtle" hints that there's something really foul going on.

(Possible spoiler:) The film reminded me of the countless essays written in elementary school that get crazier by the sentence and finally end with "and then I woke up"-- only here the aforementioned cop-out is substituted with "and then I grew up."

Nevertheless, I'd still rate the film as 6/10 or 7/10. For as you say, it's quite beautifully executed.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    a beautiful film can go a long way for me.

Indeed, I've loved many a film for this reason, and thus it surprises me a bit that I find this one somewhat pretentious and lacking substance. At that age, a lot of things seem mysterious that really aren't, sure. That point could've been made without all those "subtle" hints that there's something really foul going on.

(Possible spoiler:) The film reminded me of the countless essays written in elementary school that get crazier by the sentence and finally end with "and then I woke up"-- only here the aforementioned cop-out is substituted with "and then I grew up."

Nevertheless, I'd still rate the film as 6/10 or 7/10. For as you say, it's quite beautifully executed.

but the subtle hints were really quite harmless...i really think that was a great aspect of the film, to show how we no longer see innocent things as such. it was our shit that was intruding on their innocence. i also was expecting things to get twisted - espcially since she is with Gaspar Noe, I admit that I assumed her aesthetic would be similar to his.

really, the terms of the school were not that outrageous from that of a boarding school, military school, orphange or strict dance school. there was also a very clear mandate of protection and controlled release into the world - this is not that unfamiliar a theme in children's stories.

I really did not think it was pretentious or lacking in substance.
    If I had a daughter who was 10 - 12, i would love for her to see it. I think, and I'm sorry if this sounds goofy, that it could be empowering for young girls.

I give it a 9/10.

I am ready for us to get our cable television reviews show now.

• snosno 332 Posts

I am worlds away from the places and settings in the movie, but somehow I was really stirred up by the Malick-like languid imagery and story-telling style.

A documentary about LMF, a now-defunct rap group based in Hong Kong. Interesting to see them making remarks about "those mainstream pop schit", lo and behold, many of the members of the group are now producing/working mainstream pop schit projects.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Whats your handle over there?

- MalusAranea