MovieStrut reccomendations!! (NRR)

Comments

• A couple of movies I've watched recently and enjoyed. You've got to watch Naked no matter what though. The others are entertaining, but Naked is a brilliant movie.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Fong Sai-Yuk

whenever i see jet li

Whenever I see Jet, I think of:

Fong Sai-Yuk MUTHAFUCKERS

• john sayles did not fall off. 2 ehh movies doesn't mean falling off.

he's re-writing the screenplay for Jurassic Park IV dude

for real?

sunshine state was pretty weak, too. I'm taking it back to lone star as his last film that I really enjoyed.

I got a couple:

obviously if you didn't like sunshine state then he has fallen off. i rather enjoyed that movie.

you didn't like men with guns and limbo ?! those were like two of his best imho.

• more antonioni - these two films have the most incredible endings ever

been meaning to see those and red desert as well but having a hard time getting a hold of copies of those. don't think facets has copies anymore. anyway facets mail order service is pretty half assed. i don't really have any access to any art house theaters around here you got any ideas where to get those ?

• more antonioni - this film has the most incredible ending ever

this was recenly re-released in theaters and i got to check it out on the big screen. very slow and methodical, but, yes, the ending. also highly recommended by antontioni: BLOW-UP (the mod scene w/ the yardbirds is , plus herbie did the rest of the sdtrk), RED DESERT, and LA NOTTE (part of the L'AVVENTURA, ECLIPSE trilogy)

also FRENCH NEW WAVE FILMS BY GODARD AND TRUFFAUT AND THE LIKE =

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

The Panic in Needle Park - "A couple loves heroin as much as they love each other in Jerry Schatzberg's grim drug drama." Pacino drug movies are always good, if not rather depressing.

hey la***n how/where did you see this? vhs raer? i have a friend who's been trying to get a hold of of a copy for some time.

• john sayles did not fall off. 2 ehh movies doesn't mean falling off.

he's re-writing the screenplay for Jurassic Park IV dude

for real?

sunshine state was pretty weak, too. I'm taking it back to lone star as his last film that I really enjoyed.

I got a couple:

obviously if you didn't like sunshine state then he has fallen off. i rather enjoyed that movie.

you didn't like men with guns and limbo ?! those were like two of his best imho.

yeah, you know I think I hyped myself up too much for sunshine state ("sayles!") but just kinda fell flat to me....tho I did like the whole wrap-up commentary with the golfers ending up teeing off in the middle of sprawl and all that....liked men with guns better than limbo, and they're not bad flicks to me by any stretch....just not a matewan or a lone star, etc etc.

relatedly, good anecdotes/insights here:

• wack movie but ive been in love with acid bu.. i mean angelina jolie ever since.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

you didn't like men with guns and limbo ?!

limbo was the last one i really liked, but wasn't that like 1998?

david strathairn rules. i hope he gets an oscar this year

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

A couple of movies I've watched recently and enjoyed. You've got to watch Naked no matter what though. The others are entertaining, but Naked is a brilliant movie.

Man I'd totally forgotten about this movie. Caught in on TV about ten years ago and it blew my tiny little mind. Would be interested to see if it's still so powerful now my teenage anger had matured into apathy. Is this out on DVD yet?

• This one blew me away when I saw it a couple of years back.

• The Panic in Needle Park - "A couple loves heroin as much as they love each other in Jerry Schatzberg's grim drug drama." Pacino drug movies are always good, if not rather depressing.

hey la***n how/where did you see this? vhs raer? i have a friend who's been trying to get a hold of of a copy for some time.

I've seen the dvd all over, and being that I'm not from the US, I'm even more surprised by your comment.

• Co-sign on Scarecrow, I really liked the ending.

Those who've seen Blow Up might wanna check out Coppola's Conversation and Nicolas Winding Refn's Fear X (co-written by the late Hubert Selby Jr.). Although the latter isn't that great (and a total commercial failure too), it plays with similar ideas as the previous two, and is no doubt an admirable effort.

• dude steven soderbergh is a badass. after the limey, sex lies & videotape, out of sight, traffic & syriana I seriously think he is my favorite contemporary merican dir especially since john sayles fell off hard.

Syriana sure looks like a Sodenbergh flick with Clooney in the lead and in it's style and subject matter, but it's actually directed by a guy named Stephan Gaghan, whose only other claim to fame was that weak ass Katie Holmes vehicle "Abandon" from a few years back.

Cosign on Sodenbergh though. Any director that can make J Lo come off that good (in the acting dept) must get props.

And for all their pretentions, the Ocean films were a lot of fun. I think that's all they were meant to be.

And I REALLY like The Limey too.

Good stuff of recent viewage...

Co-cosign on SPL.

No, it's definitely NOT the end-all "return to the glory days" like a lot of fools are claiming.

But it's a fun diversion and worth it just for the final brawl between Donnie & Sammo.

Good role for Sammo btw. After watching him for over 20 years as an easy-to-love, back flipping Pilsbury Doughboy, it's kind of disconcerting to see dude all intimidating and shit with a golf club ready to fuck you up.

It's not like he hasn't done serious roles before. But nothing this gangster I don't think.

(and "Shanghai, Shanghai" doesn't count)

Hard as nails noir. OG Bonnie & Clyde. Peggy Cummings is not to be trifled with.

Altman. Spacek. Duval (Shelly, not Robert). JANICE fucking RULE. Spooky. Dreamy. Non linear. Will probably require multiple viewings.

• In my permanent all time top 10 list.
    NOT for the easily disturbed.

• A couple of movies I've watched recently and enjoyed. You've got to watch Naked no matter what though. The others are entertaining, but Naked is a brilliant movie.

Man I'd totally forgotten about this movie. Caught in on TV about ten years ago and it blew my tiny little mind. Would be interested to see if it's still so powerful now my teenage anger had matured into apathy. Is this out on DVD yet?

Just released on DVD by Criterion. It's actually two discs. It has an interview with the director and some film critics. This version may be uncut, but I don't know since this version was the first version I'd ever seen. It blew my 30+ year old mind.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

A couple of movies I've watched recently and enjoyed. You've got to watch Naked no matter what though. The others are entertaining, but Naked is a brilliant movie.

Just released on DVD by Criterion. It's actually two discs. It has an interview with the director and some film critics. This version may be uncut, but I don't know since this version was the first version I'd ever seen. It blew my 30+ year old mind.

No UK release date set so will have to order this then I think, be very interested to hear the commentary as i seem to remember reading that most of the film is improvised, must have been done for a laserdisc edition or something as Katrin Cartlidge's been dead 3 years.

Been waiting since Naked for David Thewlis' career to really take off but doesn't seem to have happened.

Fucking Island of Dr Moreau excepted.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yea, Mike Leigh ??? he???s fantastic.

I loved Naked the first time I saw it and then made the mistake of watching it a second time. I read into everything too much and just got really pissed off. The women were weak, petty, desperate and perpetual victims ??? not typical of Leigh. I know the men didn't come off that great either, but fuck, at least Thewlis was smart and had something to say.

I should get the DVD and see the interviews ??? I???d like to hear him talk about it.

Innocence by Lucile Hadzihalilovic was pretty awesome.

watching this tonight. cannot wait.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Altman. Spacek. Duval (Shelly, not Robert). JANICE fucking RULE. Spooky. Dreamy. Non linear. Will probably require multiple viewings.

this has got to be one of the weirdest films i've ever seen and i can't believe it came from altman. it's interesting though, i'm not really sure what he's trying to say. i just like the subtle comedy with shelly duvall's character and how cluelessly narcissistic she is even though nobody likes her. that music, the artist woman and the pool. very spooky indeed

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

The Panic in Needle Park - "A couple loves heroin as much as they love each other in Jerry Schatzberg's grim drug drama." Pacino drug movies are always good, if not rather depressing.

I've seen the dvd all over, and being that I'm not from the US, I'm even more surprised by your comment.

no US DVD, afaik.

• Hard as nails noir. OG Bonnie & Clyde. Peggy Cummings is not to be trifled with.

great flick! underrated director. paul, have you seen the big combo? john alton shot the whole thing. another classic b-movie noir thing.

• Gorgeous Movie.

• hey i can burn him a copy if you'd like. it's an avi though..i haven't figured out how to burn anything to dvd yet.

And I checked Amazon. The VHS exists, like noz said, but it's like $24 raer. As for the DVD....

Availability: This title will be released on January 1, 2010. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

i think i'll order now

thanks to Moss for passing this to me.
    it is phenomenal[/b]...if it came out last year - it it's in my top three of 2005. and if it's this year - it'll be in my top three of 2006.

• just watched this on a whim this weekend, and DAMN! Best movie I've seen in a LONG time. Its about Gary Kasparov's match with the Deep blue Computer in 1997. But there's a huge scandol behind it. This is a very dark and sinister movie.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

i saw this movie "primer" this weekend. it's definitely low-budget artsy, but i still can't decide if it's good or crap. it's a time travel movie which takes itself very seriously (maybe the only time travel movie to do so). the last 20 minutes or so are a complete mess (it's only 78 minutes long). i had to watch the second half of the movie a second time the next day to try to figure out what the fuck happenned.

anyone else see this?

Cosign

WTF!!!!!! I saw it twice and was still

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I really enjoyed "Twilight Samurai." Not action packed by any means, but a great story. I love movies that affect you days after you see them.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Great reccomendations everybody. Can't wait to look em all up!

Just so you all know Karagarga has just opened up it's registrations for the first time in like a year and half. It definitely will not last long. I HIGHLY RECCOMEND you sign up for free now!!

If you want a ton of incredible independent/rare/hard to get/noir/psychedelic/ movies for free sign up. Seriously this site is crackrock.

http://karagarga.org/

- spidey