MovieStrut reccomendations!! (NRR)

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Jet Li + Yuen Wo-ping...enough said.

This is also

SPL's fucking garbage IMO...lol

Hong Kong's a flop this year.

Election Sucked. SPL sucked. The Promise sucked. What else...Drink Drank Drunk....KungFu Majong...Everlasting Regret...Chinese Tall Story...Dragon Blade...Dragon Squad...House of Fury...Tokyo Raiders...Set to Kill...Initial D...GARBAGE

Well, I guess Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles was ok

Don't get me wrong, SPL sells great. I moved maybe 300 copies of SPL, but I honestly thought it was a B movie...lol

I'll see what Fearless is saying

The one HK thing I've enjoyed to some extent is Split Second, but I'm not sure you can buy it anywhere. It's a series that's basically a HK version of "24". It's 30 episodes, and it takes place over 30 days. Each episode obviously accounts for 1 day. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere, other than the OST on YesAsia.

Did you like one night in mongkok?

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i saw this movie "primer" this weekend. it's definitely low-budget artsy, but i still can't decide if it's good or crap. it's a time travel movie which takes itself very seriously (maybe the only time travel movie to do so). the last 20 minutes or so are a complete mess (it's only 78 minutes long). i had to watch the second half of the movie a second time the next day to try to figure out what the fuck happenned.

anyone else see this?

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts

People don't really seem to mention Being there but I thought it was dope.

you may think it's soft but this film is real.

this list is a good list.

Thanks miss, what are your recommendations??

• snosno 332 Posts
    SPL's fucking garbage IMO...lol

Hong Kong's a flop this year.

Election Sucked. SPL sucked. The Promise sucked. What else...Drink Drank Drunk....KungFu Majong...Everlasting Regret...Chinese Tall Story...Dragon Blade...Dragon Squad...House of Fury...Tokyo Raiders...Set to Kill...Initial D...GARBAGE

Well...SPL is a B-movie and I don't think the director make any efforts to sell it as a masterpiece or something. That said, I think SPL is a notch or two above the crapfest you mentioned above. Tokyo Raider is not 2005 production, no? "Seoul Raiders" perhaps?

The one HK thing I've enjoyed to some extent is Split Second, but I'm not sure you can buy it anywhere. It's a series that's basically a HK version of "24". It's 30 episodes, and it takes place over 30 days. Each episode obviously accounts for 1 day. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere, other than the OST on YesAsia.
    This is the first time I ever see the word "enjoyed" mentioned in the same sentence with the "Split Second". Watched an episode of it in a cafe. Just a tad too silly. Everybody here clowned the serial when it first came out. Now what about the CSI rip-off?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what are your recommendations??

New stuff in the theatres ??? I have no idea.

Some great things that come to mind are

Funny Games, The Piano Teacher - Haneke
    Sexy Beast - Glazer
    The Baby of Macon ??? Greenaway (this is one of the most difficult films I???ve ever experienced)
    Show Me Love (Fucking Amal), Together, Lilya-4-Ever ??? Moodysson (Lilya-4-Ever is also one of the most difficult films I???ve ever experienced)
    Shadows, Gloria, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, A Woman Under the Influence ??? Cassavetes
    Rope ??? Hitchcock
    On Top of the Whale, The Golden Boat - Ruiz
    Beau Travail, Trouble Everyday, Vendredi Soir, Nenette et Boni ??? Claire Denis
    Fat Girl ??? Breillat
    Mamma Roma ??? Pasolini
    Battle of Algiers ??? Pontecorvo
    Menace II Society ??? Hughes Bros.
    Putney Swope ??? Downey Sr.

• cassavetes! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

• constant gardener and syriana were the two best films i saw last year... milla jovovich looks like she needs a big mac attack.

I Heart Milla's eyes. I had a dream about her once,crush ever since.
    i will fight for her honor holmes

cassavetes! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

hah! oh yes! we will watch Gloria and be in awe of Rowlands, discuss the ethics of using children in violent films and the racial sub-text.

and we WILL have FUN.

• The Detroit/Pittsburgh connection - great film.

• cassavetes! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

hah! oh yes! we will watch Gloria and be in awe of Rowlands, discuss the ethics of using children in violent films and the racial sub-text.

and we WILL have FUN.

is this the plotline to Saw pt. 4 that has the innernet all abuzz?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    constant gardener and syriana were the two best films i saw last year...

dude steven soderbergh is a badass. after the limey, sex lies & videotape, out of sight, traffic & syriana I seriously think he is my favorite contemporary merican dir especially since john sayles fell off hard. oh yeah and i saw erin brockovich for the first time on tv last week going in thinking that i was going to hate it cause of the julia roberts factor, but it was still pretty engrossing.

anyway, dude has a new movie coming out this week that is supposed to be really brilliant called "Bubble" and he is releasing it simulataneously in the theater and for dvd release so that peeps in nebraska don't feel left out.

• its funny cuz here in LA the news reports on stuff like this and theyre talking about how this new business scheme will be the ruin of the theatre.

for me, michael mann is my favorite murican film dude.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    What's up with the US forcing Korea to reduce the Korean Quota of local films via the FTA?

WTF is that about? Is the US scarred of the Korean Film Industry?

They cut that shit in half!?

They just announced that shit this morning!!!

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=AP&Date=20060126&ID=5448302

• constant gardener and syriana were the two best films i saw last year...

dude steven soderbergh is a badass. after the limey, sex lies & videotape, out of sight, traffic & syriana I seriously think he is my favorite contemporary merican dir especially since john sayles fell off hard. oh yeah and i saw erin brockovich for the first time on tv last week going in thinking that i was going to hate it cause of the julia roberts factor, but it was still pretty engrossing.

anyway, dude has a new movie coming out this week that is supposed to be really brilliant called "Bubble" and he is releasing it simulataneously in the theater and for dvd release so that peeps in nebraska don't feel left out.

john sayles did not fall off. 2 ehh movies doesn't mean falling off.

here are my recommendations (not sure if these would qualify as "indie" though)

and speaking of john sayles, this movie is necessary viewing:

yes and yes.

antonioni is amazing.

john sayles did not fall off. 2 ehh movies doesn't mean falling off.

he's re-writing the screenplay for Jurassic Park IV dude

Silver City was awful

its funny cuz here in LA the news reports on stuff like this and theyre talking about how this new business scheme will be the ruin of the theatre.

i can see it being the ruin of the theatre if it was for accessible widely released blockbuster movies, but for independent films it makes so much sense to me. i have friends in the midwest who couldn't see Grizzly Man until it came out on dvd cause there isn't a theater nearby that would run it. i think it's a great idea.

more antonioni - these two films have the most incredible endings ever

• its funny cuz here in LA the news reports on stuff like this and theyre talking about how this new business scheme will be the ruin of the theatre.

i can see it being the ruin of the theatre if it was for accessible widely released blockbuster movies, but for independent films it makes so much sense to me. i have friends in the midwest who couldn't see Grizzly Man until it came out on dvd cause there isn't a theater nearby that would run it. i think it's a great idea.

yeah, i dont get it myself. i mean, when it costs $12 to see a movie and the industry is still supposedly in the dumps, something is very wrong. anyways, they were saying some theatres are not going to screen bubble because of that whole dvd thing.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    these two films have the most incredible endings ever

really?

I liked it until I started sobering up

these two films have the most incredible endings ever

really?

I liked it until I started sobering up

really!

i love the beginnning - inventive, beautiful, good way to establish the setting and mood.

the story is a good one and i think it's well-paced with good characters, there were scenes that were clearly improvised and still worked. i think he's a great director.

granted, some of it seems corny, but i think that's us in this century looking back at something that was new then and is cliche and over-done now.

the big sex scene was admittedly so cheesey and flakey and earnest as to be almost laughable. she is not a good actress - this didn't help the intense/emotional moments.

but, dude, the last 15-20 minutes when she goes to the house and on is un-fuk-wit-able.

i was laughing out loud, i thought it was so good.

and i was totally sober.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I saw New World today. I liked it a lot, it was amazing, although "arty." I'm thinking the Strut would disagree with my opinions as always, but thought I'd throw that out there.
    Peace
    T.N.

A few of my friends in the Bboy crew Sour Patch from Arizona. Are representing in this movie from what I heard. I saw my boy Nomak on the making of. Also this dude We:whum I believe is the dude with the hand on his face. Haven't seen the movie yet, but kinda interesting fact.

- spidey

• Manhattan - Woody Allen sureshot, it rivals Annie Hall for me

The Panic in Needle Park - "A couple loves heroin as much as they love each other in Jerry Schatzberg's grim drug drama." Pacino drug movies are always good, if not rather depressing.

901 After 45 Years of Work(just put this one up on the site, spidey) It's a short about Charles and Ray Eames mythical studio. Amazing stuff.

Powers of Ten - I remember watching this in elementary school, in science class. A scientific film essay, narrated by Phil Morrison. A set of pictures of two picnickers in a park, with the area of each frame one-tenth the size of the one before. Starting from a view of the entire known universe, the camera gradually zooms in until we are viewing the subatomic particles on a man's hand. http://www.powersof10.com/

Afterlife by Hirokazu Koreeda is a Japanese movie with a very interesting concept. "After people die, they spend a week with counselors, also dead, who help them pick one memory, the only memory they can take to eternity..." I liked it.

More soon.... Has anyone heard of a documentary about Stevie Wonder's - Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants?

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

best movie I've seen in a long time, Hoffman might be one of my favorite actors ever..

• Top ten of 2005

Revenge of the Sith
    Grizzly Man
    The Squid and the Whale
    Kung Fu Hustle
    War of the Worlds
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Capote
    A History of Violence
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
    Sin City

Didn't see yet but want to
    The Holy Girl
    Last Days
    Nobody Knows
    The Intruder
    Mysterious Skin
    My Summer of Love
    Land of the Dead
    Keane
    Me and You and Everyone We Know
    Match Point
    Darwin's Nightmare
    Junebug
    The Beat That My Heart Skipped
    The Best of Youth
    Forty Shades of Blue
    Hustle & Flow
    The Aristocrats
    Shopgirl
    The Baxter

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

i'm looking forward to this.

but why they get a taiwanese pop/rap retard to do the main theme song shits me a little bit! i mean c'mon.

• john sayles did not fall off. 2 ehh movies doesn't mean falling off.

he's re-writing the screenplay for Jurassic Park IV dude

for real?

sunshine state was pretty weak, too. I'm taking it back to lone star as his last film that I really enjoyed.

I got a couple:

and it's a given but it's one of my all-time favorites:

• snosno 332 Posts
    but why they get a taiwanese pop/rap retard to do the main theme song shits me a little bit! i mean c'mon.

It's even more baffling consider how much time and effort Jet Li and Ronny Yu pimp this movie as Jet Li's manifesto on transcendance of martial arts (whatever that means, I just watched that trailer/interview/teaser on the bus to work this morning). At least they can George Lam to do another rousing rendition of some Chinese style marching tune. The movie is about Master Fok Yuen Gaap. Show some respect.

I guess either I have to watch it before sunday or catch it a week later. I think I can see where the ending of the movie is heading and I don't wanna see *that* kinda thing first thing in the CHinese New Year.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    It's even more baffling consider how much time and effort Jet Li and Ronny Yu pimp this movie as Jet Li's manifesto on transcendance of martial arts (whatever that means, I just watched that trailer/interview/teaser on the bus to work this morning). At least they can George Lam to do another rousing rendition of some Chinese style marching tune. The movie is about Master Fok Yuen Gaap. Show some respect.

whenever i see jet li, I always hear that music from "once upon a time in china" in my head! They should have gone for that in the soundtrack....I'm sure there will be a sick director's cut with michelle yeoh & good music.

• snosno 332 Posts
    LOL. Same here. That song has been associated with Wong Fei-hung for ages. And yes, whenever I see a Jet Li period piece, the tune just starts playing inside my head.