weekend day finds RR

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I fully endorse Reynaldo spending habits. I don't think he asked anyone on SS for money to buy his records. It's his money, and he can do whatever he wants with it. Now, I'm going to pretend he didn't post that Teletubbies outfits he bought for the winter season. That was a LOW point on a brilliant collectro career.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Went to 2 thrift shops yesterday, and someone had unloaded their female vocals collection from mid-70s to early 80s. Thankfully, they were quite fond of soul singers, so I ended up with LPs from the Supremes, Marlena Shaw, Zulema, Gloria Scott - What Am I Gonna Do, and a load of disco-era groups I never heard of, and even some interesting twelves.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

That is fucking SICK!!!!! You lucky bastard!!! How much does one pay for something of that calibur???

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

That is fucking SICK!!!!! You lucky bastard!!! How much does one pay for something of that calibur???

Obviously, chicks and substances

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    3 words...

Ray Parker Jr.

ghostbusters 45 with instrumental
    I'm not selling it so no pm's thank you.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Did some nice finds @ a record fair in Helsinki:

Johnny "K": Come Out (AJP) 7"
    2x James Brown: Get Up, Get Into It, Get Involved (King) 7"
    King Ernest Baker: Somebody Somewhere (Funk Records) 7"
    Weldon Irvine: Sinbad (RCA) LP
    McDonald & Giles: s/t (Island) LP
    Whoridas: Talkin Bout Bank (Delicious Vinyl) 12"
    Diamond D: Sally Got A One Track Mind
    MC Shan: The Bridge / Beat Biter (Bridge) 12"

• quick googling tells me that Papete was reished on soul jazz!

and that a later lp from that latin group was a funk lp that is $100+ on popsike.

you live in a wonderful city. i found a really dope jamaican funk 12" at a thrift in downtown brooklyn. surprising dope remake of tony wilson's "try love" by a jamaican funk group Wildfire. didn't you find panache at a thrift store there??

i got the Panache "Sweet Music" 12" og at the avenue A flea market! weird thing is it was in an original sleeve to the lp...and the mixes on the 12" i have are totally different than the bootlegs and much better. but yes, nyc is quite a nice little town.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Let Reynaldo buy what he wants in peace, he's helping the record economy.

• Post deleted by tripledouble

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• i found my one white what at the queens sal's...Silicon Soul "Who Needs Sleep Tonight" 12" og...love that tune. actually my dj partner was with me and found it but he had a heart and let me take it. i love that sal's because records are $1.00 like they should be!

people want that? wassthe deal?

the deal is it's really, really good nyc post-punk club music! not sure how much it's worth but i'd been on the hunt for years since i heard it...do you have the 12"? pic sleeve? what's on the cover? there are two different covers i know of. it's a subtle track...quite dubby...really nice late-night tune! if you don't want yours, i'm sure i could find it a good home!

strange track for sure

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

big ones:
    Sonny Rollins- Sonny Rollins & The Contemporary Leaders (stereo, Contemporary S7564)
    Curtis Fuller- Cabin in the Sky LP (stereo, red and black labels)
    Louie Ramirez & His Orchestra- Latin Au Go Go LP (ATCO)
    Potts on the Spot- Rappin' Santa 12" (DiscJam)
    Flavours- Hot 12" (Plato)- sealed
    Peter Brown- Crank It Up 12" (Funk Town)
    Yellowman- Under Me Fat Thing LP (Arrival)- don't know what the deal with this is, looks old but there are a bunch of new ones on ebay...has this been reished?
    Essence- I. Know 12" (Light House)- early 80s reggae, can't find anything about it...K in Canada???

little ones:
    The Family- Family Affair (Instrumental)/Nation Time (Instrumental) 45 (North Bay)
    Funkadelic- I Bet You/Open Our Eyes 45 (Westbound)
    Sound Experience- 40 Acres and a Mule/Blow Your Mind 45 (Soulville)
    Betty Everett & Jerry Butler- Love is Strange/Smile 45 (Vee Jay)
    The Whispers- Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong/Needle in a Haystack 45 (Soul Clock)
    Paul Humphrey & His Cool Aid Chemists- Cool Aid/Detroit 45 (Lizard)
    Paul Humphrey & His Cool Aid Chemists- Funky LA/Baby Rice 45 (Lizard)
    Aaron Neville- Why Worry/Tell It Like It Is 45 (Head)
    James Brown & His Famous Flames- Ain't That a Groove Part 1/Part 2 45 (King)
    Ohio Players- Funky Worm/Paint Me 45 (Westbound)
    Doris Duke- Feet Start Walking/How Was I To Know You Cared 45 (Canyon)
    Betty Everett- Happy I Long To Be/Your Loving Arms 45 (C.J.)
    Bettye Swann- Don't Wait Too Long/I Can't Stop Loving You 45 (Abet)
    Gentlemen & The Ladies- Party Bump/Part 2 45 (Jean)
    Roky Erickson- Bermuda/The Interpreter 45 (Rhino)
    The Incredible Bongo Band- Bongo Rock/Bongolia 45 (MGM)
    Preston Epps- Bongo Boogie/Flamenco Bongo 45 (Majesty)
    Muddy Waters- Take The Bitter With the Sweet/She's Into Somethin' 45 (Chess)- white label promo
    The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band- Do Your Thing/A Dance, A Kiss and a Song 45 (Warner Bros)
    Bar-Kays- Soul Finger/Knucklehead 45 (Volt)
    William DeVaughn- Blood Is Thicker Than Water/Part 2 45 (Roxbury)
    Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s- Doing It To Death/Everybody Got Soul 45 (People)
    Shirley Brown- It's Worth a Whippin'/Between You And Me 45 (Truth)
    Maxine Brown- Sugar Cane Country/My Biggest Mistake 45 (Chart)- wrong Maxine Brown!
    Peter Brown- Crank It Up (Funk Town) Part 1/Part 2 45 (Drive)
    Betty Wright- Where Is The Love/My Baby Ain't My Baby Anymore 45 (Alston)
    Betty Wright- Let Me Be Your Lovemaker/Jealous Man 45 (Alston)
    Betty Wright- Baby Sitter/Outside Woman 45 (Alston)

• Something for the brain.

Got that NATRA, Tone.

I went all the way down to South Street and back today, hommie!

FILA is my key to the city. Freedom.

filafresh.
    what music is on that issue of NATRA?
    i'm about to do that south street run on malibu sunset

anybody say AI bring us back and AI jr (igoudala) sink that last second prayer??

i havent caught shit this weekend, but i did get Lafayette Afro Rock BAnd Malik in the mail. long time want. dropped loot.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    I pulled out a nice copy of 'Here, My Dear' @ Good Records- thanks Johnny, good to meet you pal!

Picked up a couple thangs otherwise

David Newman w/ Ayers - Lonely Avenue
    Mass Production - Welcome to Our World
    Kool & the Gang - Wild & Peaceful
    Fat Boys - Big and Beautiful
    Carol Douglas - Midnight Love Affair

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Something for the brain.

Got that NATRA, Tone.

filafresh.

anybody say AI bring us back and AI jr (igoudala) sink that last second prayer??

i havent caught shit this weekend, but i did get Lafayette Afro Rock BAnd Malik in the mail. long time want. dropped loot.

I don't think there is any music on that one. Does the copy you have feature music? I let plate one of two run through while cleaning up the crib and really enjoyed listening to the convention speeches.

I saw the beginning and tail end of that game today. Wow, how did we pull that off?

Long live Malibu!

• "i am" made in england. blank labels. cardboard flap sleeve. no info. someone tell me who/what this is plaese.

• I found two records by Los Impala. I love South American surf and beat and these are good. From the first half of the sixties, Venezuela. This stuff hardly ever comes up in The Netherlands, and the condition is not to bad too. Their '69 record Impala Syndrome is supposed to be at a whole other level.

Plus:

Tim Maia s/t
    Adelante Juventud (more Venezuela beat)
    Two Telemusic libraries

And a weird library on CAM called Out of the Way with tracks like Black Safari, Funkadelic Again, Throbbing Number, Reaching Infinity... Some nice electro funk here.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Obviously, chicks and substances

HAHAHA!!! Awesome!

• idris muhammad - peace & rhythm

azar lawrence - people moving

mtume - rebirth cycle

ornette coleman - crisis

brian eno & robert fripp - evening starr

bayeye - worlds around the sun

smiley winters - smiley etc.

all in minty fresh shape, and surprisingly good rekkids. i'm happy.

• Something for the brain.

Got that NATRA, Tone.

filafresh.

I don't think there is any music on that one. Does the copy you have feature music? I let plate one of two run through while cleaning up the crib and really enjoyed listening to the convention speeches.

I saw the beginning and tail end of that game today. Wow, how did we pull that off?

Long live Malibu!

yeah, youre right, the NATRA convention. i was getting it confused with thsoe lou rawls armed forces LPs.
    Malibu sunset rode me to record riches today....hiphop heaven out the philly dollar bins.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    sup with that Dan? private folk burner?

• Yeah, not bad. Half guitar/vocals (a couple annoying, couple decent), half pretty good Fahey-esque instrumentals.

• i found my one white what at the queens sal's...Silicon Soul "Who Needs Sleep Tonight" 12" og...love that tune. actually my dj partner was with me and found it but he had a heart and let me take it. i love that sal's because records are $1.00 like they should be!

people want that? wassthe deal?

the deal is it's really, really good nyc post-punk club music! not sure how much it's worth but i'd been on the hunt for years since i heard it...do you have the 12"? pic sleeve? what's on the cover? there are two different covers i know of. it's a subtle track...quite dubby...really nice late-night tune! if you don't want yours, i'm sure i could find it a good home!

strange track for sure

this record is the shhhhhhit. nobody ever talks about it, but everyone i know who has heard or seen it is interested or seriously loves it. i personally love the side "every idiot knows" ...this coming from a guy who prefers the male vocal of "is it all over my face" by loose joints to the female.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Chuck Norris private folk raer

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Seemed nothing was panning out on Saturday, then I stopped in for half-off day at a generally crappy Value Village. Glad I made the stop! This whole buy came to just over $12.00:

-Playing with the Opposite Sex - The Au Pairs (extra copy for my girl)

-Sense & Sensibility - The Au Pairs

-The Story So Far - The Mo-Dettes

-Penis Envy - Crass

-Itsacondition - Romeo Void

-Suicide Child - The Nuns

-Candy Apple Grey - Husker Du

-Greener Pasturers - Snakefinger

-Halber Mensch - Einsturzende Neubauten

-Edie EP - The Adult Net

-S/T - Christina

-S/T - Camper Van Beethoven

-Treasure - Cocteau Twins

-Head Over Heels - Cocteau Twins

-85555 - Spliff

-S/T - Visage

-Too Much Pressure - The Selecter

-Floodland - Sisters of Mercy

-The Cutter EP - Echo and the Bunnymen

-Like This - The DBs

-Tocsin - Xmal Deutschland

-Sequenz - Xmal Deutschland

I picked up two decent 45s at the flea market too:

-Shake It - The Vibrations

-Pepper Box - The Peppers

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    - Isao Suzuki "Black Orpheus" on Three Blind Mice. Audiophile soundz.

- And I was given a promo from "Black and white" , which sounds like some disco schitt. I know nothing about disco and couldn't find any info on the net. Anyone knows the deal with this? (I put on my little dude shield in case I'm receiving something like "duuuuude, that's Barry White")

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this weekend--after endlessly scouring thrifts that only provided one of the bad era love lps (one w/ hendrix on blue thumb--on a side note--it was the first time i've ever found a love record that wasn't thier classic 1st 3 lps) indoor flea markets provided...(50 cents to a dollar each)

og blowfly in that one.

korean or chinese press (?) stones lp, xenakis/nono/etc avant lp, some algerian guy, a hip-hop/miami bass 12", and some hot rod/surf guitar records.

INCREDIBLE 45 from the Poorboys, a small 60s unkown garage punk band that i cannot find any info about. it was produced and put out by a chuck givens, who ran the label it was put out on (flame) out of nashville, tn. givens actually wrote the song on the flipside to this (the perhaps even more smokin' 'think of livin'' track that includes some spacey farfisa organ sounds with some excellent fuzzed out 60s beat/garage guitars)

this is one of over 30 promotional singles i picked up of pop stars/bands/performers being interviewed for a christian (presbyterian) radio segment geared towards teens in the 70s called 'what's it all about?'
    inbetween the segments of songs they used, the host tried to intertwine whatever the popstars said and interpret it as christian. but when donovan talks about 'god not being in a church' and then the host talking about jesus' love and biblical ideology--it does not really add up to christian teachings. it's really interesting because the religious right would never try to do such a thing these days.
    also--they also have obvious non-christians like BLUE OYSTER CULT on the program talking about violence. the host then talks about jesus' use of violence and the quote from ecclesiastes ('a time for peace, a time for war'). really freaky.

other singles i found at the flea for 50 cents--

pisstank/lesser 7" (yellow vinyl)
    baby & the pacifiers (mediocre georgia power-pop/new wave)
    soul/r&b singles--
    the men from macon -- soul of a man/fire lighter 45

lord rockinghams xi- the squelch/fried onions
    theola kilgore - the love of my man/i know that he loves me
    the blue jays -- you're gonna cry/lover's island
    the unifics -- which one should i choose/court of love
    ronnie & robyn -- blow out the candle/sidra's theme (og on sidra)

and then i found this for a dollar (not record related, but flea market related) ---

an original* on canvas -- MODIGLIANI

i have to admit, i did note even know that it was a modigliani when i purchased it from the vendor. i saw that it was poorly framed, you couldn't make out the signature (the signature may appear to be 'cut off' but the canvas is just creased at that bottom portion. it is dated 1916.

* (this could be and might just be a fake. perhaps from the infamous elmyr de hory. there was an orson welles movie made about him--at any rate--awesome for a buck.i'm going to approach some 'experts' in nyc about it.)