weekend day finds RR

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    You've done done it again, dakar. That Rolling Stones record looks like it's Korean. Well at least the words look Korean.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    The Modigliani is most likely a skillful but not expert repro/boot. Really nice image though. A print hangs on my wall... also a flea find.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    this weekend--after endlessly scouring thrifts that only provided one of the bad era love lps (one w/ hendrix on blue thumb--on a side note--it was the first time i've ever found a love record that wasn't thier classic 1st 3 lps) indoor flea markets provided...(50 cents to a dollar each)

og blowfly in that one.

korean or chinese press (?) stones lp, xenakis/nono/etc avant lp, some algerian guy, a hip-hop/miami bass 12", and some hot rod/surf guitar records.

INCREDIBLE 45 from the Poorboys, a small 60s unkown garage punk band that i cannot find any info about. it was produced and put out by a chuck givens, who ran the label it was put out on (flame) out of nashville, tn. givens actually wrote the song on the flipside to this (the perhaps even more smokin' 'think of livin'' track that includes some spacey farfisa organ sounds with some excellent fuzzed out 60s beat/garage guitars)

this is one of over 30 promotional singles i picked up of pop stars/bands/performers being interviewed for a christian (presbyterian) radio segment geared towards teens in the 70s called 'what's it all about?'
    inbetween the segments of songs they used, the host tried to intertwine whatever the popstars said and interpret it as christian. but when donovan talks about 'god not being in a church' and then the host talking about jesus' love and biblical ideology--it does not really add up to christian teachings. it's really interesting because the religious right would never try to do such a thing these days.
    also--they also have obvious non-christians like BLUE OYSTER CULT on the program talking about violence. the host then talks about jesus' use of violence and the quote from ecclesiastes ('a time for peace, a time for war'). really freaky.

other singles i found at the flea for 50 cents--

pisstank/lesser 7" (yellow vinyl)
    baby & the pacifiers (mediocre georgia power-pop/new wave)
    soul/r&b singles--
    the men from macon -- soul of a man/fire lighter 45

lord rockinghams xi- the squelch/fried onions
    theola kilgore - the love of my man/i know that he loves me
    the blue jays -- you're gonna cry/lover's island
    the unifics -- which one should i choose/court of love
    ronnie & robyn -- blow out the candle/sidra's theme (og on sidra)

and then i found this for a dollar (not record related, but flea market related) ---

an original* on canvas -- MODIGLIANI

i have to admit, i did note even know that it was a modigliani when i purchased it from the vendor. i saw that it was poorly framed, you couldn't make out the signature (the signature may appear to be 'cut off' but the canvas is just creased at that bottom portion. it is dated 1916.

* (this could be and might just be a fake. perhaps from the infamous elmyr de hory. there was an orson welles movie made about him--at any rate--awesome for a buck.i'm going to approach some 'experts' in nyc about it.)

Dude finding K. Frimpong LPs at fleas is one thing, pulling Modig raers is another. I am starting to get scared whenever you post in the "Finds" section.

Just so you know Modigliani died very young. i think there are less than a 100 known paintings. Good luck.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Uneventful weekend. Nothing much, just some tangible musical artifacts that will help me with this emotional void I have...

The Foundations "Digging..." (Uni)
    Sonic Youth "Bad Moon Rising" CD
    Oldies But Goodies Vol. 3 (Original Sound)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Modigliani looks like a print from the 60's or 70's. Neat though.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    ...this coming from a guy who prefers the male vocal of "is it all over my face" by loose joints to the female.

Them's fightin words....

• strange track for sure

this record is the shhhhhhit. nobody ever talks about it, but everyone i know who has heard or seen it is interested or seriously loves it. i personally love the side "every idiot knows" ...this coming from a guy who prefers the male vocal of "is it all over my face" by loose joints to the female.
    here's the cover i have...i guess they tried making "every idiot knows" be the hit single too...although on this pressing it's still the b-side!? before i found the 12" i picked up a lp comp of all the silicon soul recordings...highly recommended. i found mine at kim's in the village. nice thick good sounding vinyl...and all their other tracks are really good.

and you are not alone in liking the male vocal version of loose joints!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Modigliani looks like a print from the 60's or 70's. Neat though.

it's a little too quick to judge on this. i took it out of the piece the canvas was pasted onto. canvas is pretty old. it feels a bit like it had been gessoed (sp?). it is not an oil piece. maybe an acrylic or watercolor piece. it might be a de hory--or even an imitator of a de hory. with a pretty minute chance of it being a legit modigliani in my opinion.

also--i can find no known prints of this one. prints would have been more mass produced i think. so, until someone can show me a print of this one--i'm not completely convinced it is just a print on canvas.

Yours is a skillful, but not expert, copy.

yeah--def not a print--but definitely a copycat then (can't argue on that). but it appears someone tried their hands at it skillfully. pretty nice still. interesting and not bad for a buck. weird. the similarities are striking--yet there are some definite differences. no one will ever know who did this piece i imagine.

You've done done it again, dakar. That Rolling Stones record looks like it's Korean. Well at least the words look Korean.

Dem dere words is chinese, but I think its on a korean label.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Yes, batches, straight outta a Buenos Aires state sale on sunday morning:

I will check with an expert, but I have no reason to believe this is not the real thang.

I will check with an expert, but I have no reason to believe this is not the real thang.

In the OG she's smoking a blunt rolled in brown paper.

ha. i'm not sonned. i was always skeptical of it. but it isn't a manufactured print either. too many differences. probably an art school student that attempted it.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

In the OG she's smoking a blunt rolled in brown paper.

My parade is unpissable. This is IT. Roberto Carlos and this for $2. Beat that.

ha. i'm not sonned. i was always skeptical of it. but it isn't a manufactured print either. too many differences. probably an art school student that attempted it.

I don't think anyone is trying to "son" you. It's cool. But, Modigliani is a real Big Dude??? art-wise & I doubt there are any of his originals floating around at flea markets. but, stranger things have happened.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    request for an "I'd buy THAT for a dollar" graemlin.

Yeah, statistically it's most likely it was an exercise by someone with some talent, so not necessarily an art student If that's the case then you can just judge it on whether you like it or not. I think it's cool. Better than some mall-framed print.

A lot of older style "prints" were done on primed canvas & look like paintings.

• ...this coming from a guy who prefers the male vocal of "is it all over my face" by loose joints to the female.

Them's fightin words....

i always thought the female version sounded like stale fried chicken... male vocal definitely the one.

p.s. any soundclips of silicon soul???

boogie headz would 'preciate some

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

My favorite aspect of this piece is the ganga plant in the background. In the words of the inimitable Beastie Boys. "Mona Lisa don't by cheeba. She grows it."

Which leads me to my next question, has anyone stumbled across one of these recently? I knew a guy who was a pizza delivery man, (had mad singles) he was hand making these jammies, passing em out left and right until his bosses caught wind of it. I always giggle when I run across one.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Dem dere words is chinese, but I think its on a korean label.

Thanks, Diz. ( I knew you were gonna chime in )

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Some weekend junk - David Porter is German press, hence the Stax logo instead of Enterprise...
    Bacon Fat is rare west coast hippie blues, would be able to sell it for nice $$$
    but it plays worse than it looks That's okey though, cause it's
    pretty good so I don't mind keeping it. Skip Mahoaney is OG, little h20 damage
    kept the price WAY down, which was sweet...oh and unpictured I grabbed a sealed
    Mystic Merlin Sixty Thrills a Minute to flip on the Bay.
    PS the Delroy is nice.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    that skip mahoney is sweeeet. dont see that getting repped very often

• About time I found a decent record at a thrift store - sealed copy of Heaven Sent & Ecstasy Lp - opened it to hear what all the fuss is about - I'll probably just sell it - but not bad for 2.00

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    About time I found a decent record at a thrift store - sealed copy of Heaven Sent & Ecstasy Lp - opened it to hear what all the fuss is about - I'll probably just sell it - but not bad for 2.00

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Got this in the mail from AP:

Plus my Skull Snaps and Monguito Santamaria arrived alive and in beautiful condition; a good day! The party never stops!

Got this in the mail from AP:

Plus my Skull Snaps and Monguito Santamaria arrived alive and in beautiful condition; a good day! The party never stops!

You sound lonely.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's lonely at the top.