weekend finds

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    My Soul strutting and record buying has been drastically slipping in the recent history. I hope I'm not losing interest. I dunno, emotional shit getting the way, but finding this was a good pick-me-up...

The first volume of a 1977 Los Angeles-based radio program called Joyful Wisdom featuring Timothy Leary and Grace Slick (who shares my birthday, actually). There are musical interludes in between diaglogues about space, aliens, time travel, the mind and all that good stuff. It just came in a sleeve, no jacket. This is a picture of the third volume...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My sunday run begat a few goodies, too:

Another Etta, yay!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

Wolfmoon- God Bless/My Kinda People 45 (Fungus)
    Clarence Ashe- Dancing in a Dream World/Trouble I've Had 45 (J&S)
    John & Ernest- Super Fly Meets Shaft/Part Two 45 (Rainy Wednesday)
    Marion Black- Off the Critical List Part I/Part II 45 (Shakat)
    Jerry McCain- 728 Texas/Homogenized Love 45 (Jewel)
    Maceo and the Macks- Parrty Part I/Part II 45 (People)
    Archie Bell and the Drells- Dancing To Your Music/Count the Ways 45 (Glades)
    Archie Bell and the Drells- Love Will Rain on You/Do the Choo Choo 45 (Atlantic)
    The Music Machine- Talk Talk/Come On In 45 (Original Sound)
    The Bar-Kays- Don't Do That/Give Everybody Some 45 (Volt)
    Question Mark & The Mysterians- I Need Somebody/8 Teen 45 (Cameo)

Jim McCall, Vernon McIntyre, and the Appalachian Grass- Presenting LP (small label folk/bluegrass from Cincinnati, my dad was getting rid of all his records and this was one of the few that looked interesting)
    Mini Curry- If They Only Knew/Serious 12" (sealed)

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    My Soul strutting and record buying has been drastically slipping in the recent history. I hope I'm not losing interest. I dunno, emotional shit getting the way, but finding this was a good pick-me-up...

The first volume of a 1977 Los Angeles-based radio program called Joyful Wisdom featuring Timothy Leary and Grace Slick (who shares my birthday, actually). There are musical interludes in between diaglogues about space, aliens, time travel, the mind and all that good stuff. It just came in a sleeve, no jacket. This is a picture of the third volume...

Nice find.

If you'd like, I'll buy your collection.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

quoi 93 clichy represent.
    oh wait. i'm just fronting.
    what part of paris you from?
    i grew up off ave des gobelins and blvd saint-marcel.

Actually I'm in AUBERVILLIERS (93!) right now, but I'll move soon.
    Who you?

And what is this?

sdakfgjasdl;kgfjasdlkgjsdlk;gfjasdlk;gjqads

• ruben hernandez-new day on the rise (don't know anything about this except i saw it onece on ebay, it's sealed should i crack it?)

YES! "Loving You" off there is the joint. The first 30 seconds of that song are cheesy as fuck, but after that the other 3 minutes are great. Hecka soulful vocals on there.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    it was a fun weekend...

the junie is sealed.

the dearie was signed

big up to cool chris who let me cop the under the oho, even though a dealer offered it to him first. very dude of him.

• Post deleted by dan90059

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

the Blue Notes are mostly OG mono press, 63rd St address (with a couple of later pressings)-No PMs on any of these, please, these are all staying at home

plus about another 200 jazz LPs to go through

I had a great MLK Day in DC

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    jeez, what a bunch of T[/b]epid J[/b]azz T[/b]erds!

• it was a fun weekend...

the junie is sealed.

the dearie was signed

big up to cool chris who let me cop the under the oho, even though a dealer offered it to him first. very dude of him.

damn those records look mad familair...you cop 'em at the KUSF swap?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Wow.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    MLK frozen ass long weekend, unheated storage records thawed out nicely. or was that my hands? pass the soup.

suspecting Bedford is pre-residents residents?? - its SO out thurr.. dobie cover
    cracks me up. the riverside cover is cool, lots of wee riversides in the sand.
    deadly leadbelly, ok jimmy smith.

WEIRD late press afro-harping. finally an og rubaiyat! the prestige one seems
    to be a repackaging of earlier prestige, but im not sure. th joe simon is niceee.

choose this jpeg and win big time. isley, richards, and vincent X2 are all og and
    real nice, the top left and center are

strut trade power! thank you brother!

again!

there were about 10 of these 78rpm red wax strange self help records. so i purchased them. the end.

anybody need a freida payne autograph? a great example of "what was he thinking?"
    and a great example of "my god! its freaking colonel sanders on wax!"

both sides of this are actually pretty good.

diddley, 1st inclredible string band, this 'incorporated thang band' was sealed so
    i had no clue: 1988 "p funk" style (same artist on the back as those clinton
    computer games etc records) - is this crap?, zoom = modern soul, don ellis, and
    'yanoska', a weird guitar folk dude that i took a chance on.

also got some trade material for later and some common whatevers, plus some
    private lesbian folk rock on the Shhh cuz im samplin.

Mindblowing.

If you want to unload one of those red wax 78 jammies, let me know.

What is the record to the left of Mandrake Memorial?

oh, and is there a Led Zep LP inside the JB cover??

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

What is the record to the left of Mandrake Memorial?

its: the jason lodge poetry book 'gothic horizon' on London.

oh, and is there a Led Zep LP inside the JB cover??

zeppelin 4! poor kid must have been "its led ZEPPELIN, not this weird

james brown guy! im cool, i swear!" hahaha

if i tire of the 78 rpm self help, ill contact you. (theyre all different,

sorry i didnt clarify)

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    damn, birdman.

that is the haul of a lifetime.

wow.

candy, jackie's bag, the kenny dorhams, sonny clark, mobley etc. etc. etc. etc.

seriously, congrats.
    that is a ton of music to be enjoyed.

i can only dream of hitting a stash like that.

i won't PM as requested, but if you decide to unload any of those, PM... i'd love to own a couple new classic blue notes.

wow again.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Man, Chris, those Blue Notes = awesome.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    damn, birdman.

that is the haul of a lifetime.

wow.

candy, jackie's bag, the kenny dorhams, sonny clark, mobley etc. etc. etc. etc.

seriously, congrats.

that is a ton of music to be enjoyed.

i can only dream of hitting a stash like that.

i won't PM as requested, but if you decide to unload any of those, PM... i'd love to own a couple new classic blue notes.

wow again.

The Kenny at the Bohemia-DMM press (but ain't it pretty?), the Mobley No Room For Squares a Liberty press,the rest are 63rd st. I am not enuff a scholar to know the details and if they are first press,etc but I don't really care that much, these are home. Most are at least VG as is, but I may need to invest in a VPI to get these cleansed, which may not improve the grade visually, I know from experience it will help the sound. The Sonny Clarks and Candy alone made this the best jazz day everfor me.

That Miles Davis on Mosaic is a 10 LP set! Never played. And that James Moody is off the chain too. The rest of the collection ranges from OG Prestige (Sonny Rollins, Miles) to doo doo Marsalis-type stuff. Lots of nice 70s and 80s represses, including an 80s sealed Dorothy Ashby Afro Harping(the same one that Karlophone has pictured above), and at least 2 sealed 80s presses of Kind of Blue. Couple of Mosaic CD collections too.

thanks for the kind words, A!

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

strut trade power! thank you brother!

whats the bilitis(?) record like?
    i found a similiar one (same title, naked chick(s) on it, but somehow different.)
    but i don't remember it being so good...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    whats the bilitis(?) record like?
    i found a similiar one (same title, naked chick(s) on it, but somehow different.)
    but i don't remember it being so good...

I sold it years ago, but I remember it as being easy-cheesy listening with some very mildly funky moments in between a truckload of strings.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    got some mlk day scores...

Hawkwind - warrior on the edge of time (atco)
    kraftwork - autobahn (vertigo)
    bobbi humphrey - blacks & blues (blue note)
    parliament - mothership connection (casablanca)
    mark ronson - ooh wee/on the run (elektra)
    new orleans funk 60-75 (soul jazz)
    hollertronix #3
    chuck womack & the sweet souls - ham hock & beans (1&2) (rejoint)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    fuck...

best weekend finds thread in a while. kudos to you guyz!

• WTF is 'NUMBERS'?!?!

i think they're some san francisco pop/dance band that was on tigerbeat6 for a while. probably moved on to emperor norton or kill rock stars by now.

Actually that EP is on Troubleman Unlimited, good label run by my friend Mike Simonetti. New school post punk shit, but weirder and better than the multitudes of gang of 4 rip off bands these daze. Also worth checking on that label is the group Tussle, who are rechanneling some 99 records no wave funk/disco schlitz.

Mike Simonetti DJs around NYC. Pretty eclectic musically, but dude has the stoopid collection of 80's DIY post punk/synthwave schitt, especially from the US. I've copped some cool things via his doubles, and he's one of the 1st people I hit at the WFMU rekkid fair. He hooked me up with slightly beat copy (fine for DJin') of disco dave and the force 5 mc's 'High Power Rap'. Cheep. Nice guy.

$??

• Nice Finds though... What about that Six thousand dollar n***er, is it the Kari Saxton OST ? i've had it with a different cover.. or is it a different record???
    peace G

the music is by Kari Saxton but it's a Wildman Steve record...might as well be Blowfly...raunchy jokes over funk beats...but i don't know if it's the same music as from the movie.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    simonetti= nice sometimes. mean some other times. i'm not going to get into it. but dude has a sick collection--yes. attitude--not always so hot.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    also birdman's scores= incredible

• Birdman, damn! that stack of BNs is nuts. AND the Plugged Nickel sessions? congrats, beautiful stuff.

nothing too heavy for me, but a couple nice things over the wknd, top to bottom, L to R:

- Don Randi / Plays the Theme to Romeo & Juliet (Axelrod, has The Fox theme on it and some other nice tracks)
    - Impressions / Preacher Man
    - EPMD / Rampage 12"
    - Ramsey Lewis / The Piano Player
    - Kenny Dope & Shaggy / Gunshot 12"
    - Nonce / Live & Direct 12"
    - Al Green / Gets Next to You
    - Biz / Something for the Radio 12"
    - and while this doesn't count as a weekend find, Cool Chris laced me with a Trap Door promo when I was in SF last week....GOOOOOOOD LOOKS CHRIS on that. shit's nuts.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    This came in the mail today and made me happy:

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

Actually that EP is on Troubleman Unlimited, good label run by my friend Mike Simonetti. New school post punk shit, but weirder and better than the multitudes of gang of 4 rip off bands these daze.

ah yeah troubleman. they put out some of the earlier (read: better) black dice records and erase errata's first album. i'll check out the numbers ep. i seen them live a few times when they were starting to get popular around here and they didn't sound too exciting but i'll check mp3s of the album to see if they've gotten better over the years.