An "I Heart Records SS Campaign"

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
All these RIP record store posts got me to thinking about 2 things. 1) As much as my secretive nature was against it, Soulstrut should have a record store address book. Look, these stores are dying peoples. We can't be squirreling the obvious anymore because these dudes are hurting out there. You don't even need to rep the dicks like guys who let you choose their eBay auction listings type guys. Just the obvious solid record stores throughout your hoods, A to Z. 3 strikes you're out rule, if 3 strutters say the store is a bunch of cocksuckers, they don't make the list. Stores are closing every day out there, and making raer harder to snag in the real world. Perhaps proactive SS involvement like the Heatrock can make a difference to help struggling stores out there. I know there are record store listing places out there on the internet, but they're written by dudes looking for punk and Beatles records. Let's try to turn this around by giving Soul, funk, psych, hip hop, etc stores some shine, 2) An "I heart records" campaign by Strutters, be it in the real world, in their auction listings, etc. to generate more interest in records in general and maybe get people out there and shopping again for vinyl. Fuck an mp3. Although convenient, nothing does it like putting a needle to the record and listening to it (NoRecordPron). Record stores will die if they A) Don't fix their pricing structures B) No one knows they're there and C) People feeling that vinyl is irrelevant. Let Timmydigalot have the 4 second drum break. [/b] A campaign to inspire people to shop again for records, and ALL[/b] records, not just raer. We all know via Real Headz that a lot of Private Press boners are not worth their salt. For 2006, let's make this site the premier site to talk about records, more so than it already is. In addition to this, let's try to give back to our purveyors of raer. PeaceT.N.I'll start it off, perhaps if this post can get big, RAJ can cut and paste them to a Soulstrut database for stores.Last Vestige173 Quail St. Albany, NY (518) 432-7736Music Shack1272 Central AveAlbany, NY (518) 436-4581Mr Bills CDs881 New Loudon RdLatham, NY (518) 783-8067Beat Shop197 River StTroy, NY (518) 272-0433 (Not sure of accuracy of address and phone)Rhino Records (I'm especially afraid of this one dying, they moved into the village, I'm not sure of the new address, the published one is the old one)New Paltz, NY (845) 255-0230Rhythm RecordsWoodstock, NY (It's on the main drag through town)ADD ON!!!![/b]

Comments

• fuck it.. Soulstrut(Raj) should have a record store. Nerds from all over would flock there, wouldnt they?

• fuck it.. Soulstrut(Raj) should have a record store. Nerds from all over would flock there, wouldnt they?

Raj don't want to run a record store...

None of you motherfuckers really want to run a record store, trust me.

John, I was gonna do an NYC record map (similar to the one for Japan) so much so that I actually bought the domain name and shit.

I'm kind of slacking on that though... I'll probably do it once my own site is done.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Great Post!!!

I dont know the exact addreses to the NYC shops.

GOOD records.........

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I could yahoo yellow page the whole US, BUT[/b] (the key but) I don't know which stores sell vinyl and which don't, let alone which have a crate and which stores you can't walk through filled with raers, that's why you guys need to help fellow big and little dudes alike out.

• I had done this

• #6 RIP

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Last Record Store
    1899a Mendocino Avenue
    Santa Rosa, CA 95401

Good shop, and it really is the last record store in Sonoma County

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I had done this

ATTN: BAMBOUCHE

YOU ONLY SHOWED ME TO, LIKE, THREE OF THESE LOCATIONS. YOU WERE ALL LIKE, "THAT'S ALL THERE IS, DOG." I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION![/b]

No infighting!

JP: Addresses plaese for us country bumpkins...

hahaha!!!

• JP: Addresses plaese for us country bumpkins...

I don't have the time to dig it all up, but if we do this for real for real then I'll do it.

This post will vanish to the back of the site and there will be umpteen more "any good spots in?" posts so let's get a place to put it all.

In the meantime, you have the cross streets!

PM me for specifics if you really can't figure it out.

• 2) An "I heart records" campaign by Strutters, be it in the real world, in their auction listings, etc. to generate more interest in records in general and maybe get people out there and shopping again for vinyl. Fuck an mp3. Although convenient, nothing does it like putting a needle to the record and listening to it (NoRecordPron). Record stores will die if they A) Don't fix their pricing structures B) No one knows they're there and C) People feeling that vinyl is irrelevant. Let Timmydigalot have the 4 second drum break. [/b] A campaign to inspire people to shop again for records, and ALL[/b] records, not just raer. We all know via Real Headz that a lot of Private Press boners are not worth their salt.

Isn't the real heads forum hurting said campaign? Download overload? Just to play devils advocate, ya know? I can only imagie how many ipods are filled with raer that is now checked off of some peoples (herbs) wantlists.

• 2) An "I heart records" campaign by Strutters, be it in the real world, in their auction listings, etc. to generate more interest in records in general and maybe get people out there and shopping again for vinyl. Fuck an mp3. Although convenient, nothing does it like putting a needle to the record and listening to it (NoRecordPron). Record stores will die if they A) Don't fix their pricing structures B) No one knows they're there and C) People feeling that vinyl is irrelevant. Let Timmydigalot have the 4 second drum break. [/b] A campaign to inspire people to shop again for records, and ALL[/b] records, not just raer. We all know via Real Headz that a lot of Private Press boners are not worth their salt.

Isn't the real heads forum hurting said campaign? Download overload? Just to play devils advocate, ya know? I can only imagie how many ipods are filled with raer that is now checked off of some peoples (herbs) wantlists.

Well. You know a bunch of folks asked for one particular record that I had in stock. I sat for an hour or so and ripped the MP3s. Then said requesters were all like, "oh ok. It's alright but I don't really need it."

:/

I'm sure that's happening a lot. I guess I can't really be mad, I don't want to sell people records that they end up hating

• St. Louis, MO[/b]

Vintage Vinyl

6610 Delmar in the U. City Loop

(314) 721-4096

http://www.vintagevinyl.com

Euclid Records

4906 Laclede in Webster Groves

(314) 961-8978

Record Exchange

5320 Hampton Ave in South STL

(314) 832-3220

Minneapolis, MN[/b]

Hymie's Vintage Records

3318 E. Lake St.

(612) 729-8890

Cheapo

1300 W. Lake St. in Uptown

(612) 827-8238

Cheapo

80 Snelling Ave. N in St. Paul

(651) 644-8981

Treehouse Records

2557 Lyndale Ave. in Uptown

(612) 872-7400

Roadrunner Records

4304 Nicollet Ave in South Minneapolis

(612) 822-0613

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BROOKLYN pleez?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

2) An "I heart records" campaign by Strutters, be it in the real world, in their auction listings, etc. to generate more interest in records in general and maybe get people out there and shopping again for vinyl. Fuck an mp3. Although convenient, nothing does it like putting a needle to the record and listening to it (NoRecordPron). Record stores will die if they A) Don't fix their pricing structures B) No one knows they're there and C) People feeling that vinyl is irrelevant. Let Timmydigalot have the 4 second drum break. [/b] A campaign to inspire people to shop again for records, and ALL[/b] records, not just raer. We all know via Real Headz that a lot of Private Press boners are not worth their salt.

I don't know about all that. I'll admit that a few LP's in the Real Headz were crossed off my mental "want list" when I heard what they sounded like (ie Raw Spitt) - but when I download an album and it melts my face, it makes me want to own the LP even more, and I may go out of my way to find it whereas before I was more ambivalent. Also, I have personally made a point of posting some more common but maybe under-the-radar pieces up there, so maybe Timmy D will now go back and buy that Ahmad Jamal record he thought couldn't be good "because it's from 1976" and give his local spot a few bucks in the process. I don't buy into the downloading-kills-sales theory, I think it just weeds out the truly good from the simply

Well. You know a bunch of folks asked for one particular record that I had in stock. I sat for an hour or so and ripped the MP3s. Then said requesters were all like, "oh ok. It's alright but I don't really need it."

Are you suggesting they should at least give a polite, "Thank you?" Or are you saying people shouldn't request albums that they might not end up liking?

• I'm sure that's happening a lot. I guess I can't really be mad, I don't want to sell people records that they end up hating

i feel that.. then again,
    Maybe they're only hating because the music is becoming more disposable.
    Download - hate it, erase. Download - ehh, erase. etc. etc.
    If they had found said raer out in the field after pumpin' all day it might not be so to them.. again just playin' devils advocate.

I can remember exactly where and when and what I had eaten for lunch and how I had to take a duke and how the record store smelled for most of my beloved raers. I'm pretty sure I don't need to see/know/hear everything just so I can shit on it when people bring it up in conversation.

I'm a completist, if I hear something I like on mp3, I want it in my possession someday. Let's get this post huge! Thanks CasualMale, Crink, JP. Spill it Batmon, SOI, Thes, et al!This post should get like Private Press post huge! Euros, Canadians, all yall need to pitch in!

• I'm sure that's happening a lot. I guess I can't really be mad, I don't want to sell people records that they end up hating

i feel that.. then again,
    Maybe they're only hating because the music is becoming more disposable.
    Download - hate it, erase. Download - ehh, erase. etc. etc.
    If they had found said raer out in the field after pumpin' all day it might not be so to them.. again just playin' devils advocate.

I can remember exactly where and when and what I had eaten for lunch and how I had to take a duke and how the record store smelled for most of my beloved raers. I'm pretty sure I don't need to see/know/hear everything just so I can shit on it when people bring it up in conversation.

Yeah word. I guarantee said folks, if they had pulled it from a local dollar bin or whatever, would be like "this is the HEAT!" To respond to SoulOnIce's comments, I think the problem with it all is making it disposable. It definitely made my desire for certain things greater but not necessarily more immediate. It's kind of the, "Oh well I've got it on the Ipod so I can live without for another year" syndrome.

Twoply - yeah, thanks would be nice but then again I'm not doing it for charity or health. I'm never mad because someone doesn't like a record

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It is hilarious, but just about everyone does it, myself included, how a $1 record that is a "crazy heat-banger" would be "an okey 1-tracker" if you paid $40 for it...but like they say, "that's the name of the game"

Orange County, CA[/b]

Goathill Records

1920 Harbor Blvd

Costa Mesa, CA

Best shop between LA & San Diego.

Noise Noise Noise

1505 Mesa Verde Dr E Ste A

Costa Mesa, CA

Has "fallen off" somewhat over the years, but can still be good.

Vinyl Solution

18822 Beach Boulevard Suite 104

Huntington Beach, CA

Mostly punk records, but I've found some awesome shit there. Not for a while though.

Pepperland Records

850 N Tustin St

Orange, CA

Used to be real good. not anymore.

My frustration with the uploads was that there were (are) so many options that I had to rely on descriptions and hype to choose. People hyped up some fairly mediocre LPs with multiple melting-face graemlins which unduly raised my expectations. True, I might have been more interested in those records had I found them for $5 in the field, but I think a lot of the negative reactions stem from dudes acting like rarity equals mega-face-melt heat.

SOI, Twoply, post up shops in your hoods or you're soft.

People hyped up some fairly mediocre LPs with multiple melting-face graemlins which unduly raised my expectations.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    but I think a lot of the negative reactions stem from dudes acting like rarity equals mega-face-melt heat[/b].

Necessary record stores in Portland:

Everyday Music[/b]
    1313 West Burnside
    Portland, OR 97209 - 2628
    (503) 274-0961

Everyday Music[/b]
    1931 NE Sandy Blvd
    Portland, OR 97232 - 2894
    (503) 234-7373

Crossroads Music[/b]
    3130 SE Hawthorne Blvd
    Portland, OR 97214 - 4123
    (503) 232-1767

Mississippi Records[/b]
    4007 N Mississippi Ave
    Portland, OR 97227 - 1164
    (503) 282-2990

2nd Avenue Records[/b]
    400 SW 2nd Ave
    Portland, OR 97204 - 3404
    (503) 222-3783

360 Vinyl[/b]
    214 NW Couch
    Portland, OR 97209 - 3919
    (503) 224-3688

Jump Jump Music[/b]
    7005 NE Prescott
    Portland, OR 97218 - 3510
    (503) 284-4828

• but I think a lot of the negative reactions stem from dudes acting like rarity equals mega-face-melt heat[/b].

Yo man that is the culture here. For real, that's yalls fault (i mean not you specifically but you know what i mean) for sweating these records. Rare does not = good. Rare = rare. Hard to find. Elusive. Obscure. Kids sit around on these websites and talk about records they've never heard but saw a reissue of or saw on the wall of a record store. I mean Eddie fucking Kendricks - you know, several years ago Cosmo made mention of this AWESOME record and dudes were all like, "I need this in my life". How the hell are you talking about some rare record and you don't have Eddie Kendricks??? Uhhhh, enough of my ranting, I'm in a bad mood, but seriously - don't blame the people that own these records or think they're good, blame the people that DON'T own them and keep sweating them like there's some kind of difference in the music just because they're rare.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Some good ones around pasadena, inland empire and la

1. Freakbeat records -- 13616 Ventura Blvd.
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

2. Rockaway records -- 2395 GLENDALE BLVD, SILVER LAKE, CA 90039

3. Poo bah records -- 2636 E. Colorado Blvd.
    East Pasadena, California, U.S.A.

4. Atomic Records -- 3818 West Magnolia Boulevard, Burbank, CA ??91505 (818)848-709

5. Counterpoint Records & Books -- 5911 Franklin Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90028

6. D.B. Coopers -- 1724 W Verdugo Ave, Burbank (818)563-2222

7. Pasadena City College record swap meet -- first sunday of each month
    1570 E. Colorado Blvd. Pasadena, CA. 91106-2003
    Lot 10, 1/2 block west of the PCC campus, at the corner of Green and Holliston

8. Rhino records (claremont)
    235 Yale Ave, Claremont, CA (909)626-7774

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Didn't Raj mention a "record store listing" as part of some of the SS 2006 renovation? Or am I just imagining things?