Lurker-Free Pre-Weekend and Weekend FINDS

Comments

• Driving away from Ventura:

Yes those are siamese twins.

This album rules

weak

Technopolis is my JAM

This is a good spooky record

Noveltry records help me support my habit. Marj is a double, so is Ressurection Day, aka the most fucked up xian cover ever.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

Can I get an OG Czech[/b] on the Redd Holt??
    Anyone have an OG they can spec for me?

i have a sealed OG and an open reish in front of me. the OG cover is a paste over flap. (front cover: glued over the edges that fold over onto the back, then a seperate piece of paper glued over that to make the back cover. peeel it all off and you have a plain brown/grey cardboard jacket.) the reish is all one piece of printed cardboard, and white cardboard at that.

there is no art/text difference at all, not even on the spine.

i dunno about the record/label because the OG is sealed and im not sure if im gonna crack it or not.

but the reissue label is obviously a reissue, its got that precise look to the writing, all computer perfect style, though the paula graphic looks right.

hope this helps..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

JP:[/b] That Paulette Reaves was a bit of blind buy, I'll grab anything I see on Blue Candle, had seen this one on a couple websites but never seen it out in the world or listened to it. Still havent actually, I'm getting lifted, listing ebay auctions and saving that one for halftime

Great Record! She has a 12'' on Dash from 81 that is also worth picking up.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Can I get some audio of this? Looks dope.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    OG Czech[/b]

Thanks. The cover seems pretty legit, but it was the label & vinyl that seemed suspect. The vinyl is heavy and feels like my Scorpio press of PoZ - I would expect a Paula pressing from 1975 to be on pretty flimsy vinyl, and the label print looked kinda too sharp and yet sloppy with an overlap on some printing.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

• Did you find another A-train??

$$$$$$$$$

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My penis isn't as big as aleit's but these were $3.00 a piece at a new Antique Mall that opened down the street....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [quote

Nice find....condition??

• ryanryan 334 Posts

other weekend finds. . .

big black

michal urbaniak

fela

gil scott heron

barry waite & ltd. (45)

coal kitchen (45)

african heritage (45)

the whatnauts (12")

• What is the deal with vault records, anyways?

Charles Owens has a good one on it.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    [quote

Nice find....condition??
    not great- VG-. plays fine though. cool listen. ry coot[/b]er

what's this about the size of my....

let me know when you're ready about which weekend.

yes, yet another a*train, andrew.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

other weekend finds. . .

big black
    michal urbaniak
    fela
    gil scott heron
    barry waite & ltd. (45)
    coal kitchen (45)
    african heritage (45)
    the whatnauts (12")

what's up african heritage? seen it before, but never heard the lowdown.
    is the fela an OG?

are you in austin, ryan?

• ryanryan 334 Posts

what's up african heritage? seen it before, but never heard the lowdown.
    is the fela an OG?

are you in austin, ryan?
    fela is an og on decca/aphrodesia. . .i couldn't pass it up. african heritage appears to be from kenya from 1981. the a side is high life (not my cup of tea), the flip is pretty nice uptembo afrobeat with some great flute work.

i lived in austin for about six years in the mid 90s, i now try to visit as often as i can!

• Options
    That's a dope Leo 45, too. Supreme Disco funk that is actually The Revolutionaires and the BArry Waite made-up name they suggest.

K>

• Options
    Nice find on the LEon Cook, A*i. Been jamming that up here for a bit.

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my finds: indoor flea rampage, thrift shop that was overflowing, and my hookup (--who tripdub met-- was even cheaper than usual)--25 cents- a dollar each (w/ exception of a 2 dollar picture disc)

in addition--a bunch of blues, gospel and early r&b 78s--all in pristine shape with og label sleeves. from the likes of albinia jones, gatemouth moore, dick thomas, roy brown, the ravens, joe turner, sacred four quartet, etc--really too much to mention.

12"s you probably can't read in that photo -- natasha king 'am/fm' and young & company

the trust co. = xian soft psych/folk. junior vega is a private press latin jazz/funk lp--autographed by vega! it's great--and there are some nice breaks! la playa sextet boogaloo lp, katraska = latin disco funk. the one up top and to the right is lucita--popular latin pop vocalist--very break-beaty with funky backing band/rhythm section.
    arm your child with music is a halarious private press childrens safety record put out around 1990.

rare cure pic disc lp for 'disintegration'. polish new wave band and the PLP LP titled Power to the Working Class--put out around 1970 by a communist/Trotskyite group PLP (Progressive Labor Party) from Brooklyn, NYC. First side of that lp is more standard folk protest songs, but the 2nd side is where it's at! very cool soul/r&b/funky workouts! song titles on this may rival those by crass --(though this is more red than black)--'get out your red flag, workers!'

in center is a rare leadbelly 10" under the name of the lonesome blues singer.

the younger generation "we rap more mellow" 12" -- younger generation was grandmaster flash & the furious five pre-dating that name change. this was early--1979.

7"s/45s --
    the colors-- power-pop/punk band from nyc around 1980. blondie's clem burke produced it. also--lady at flea market i got this at said that the most amazing thing happened--one of the guys from the band who was the bassist/vocalist (robert vickers) actually came through this small town flea and told her he was in the band and autographed it! autograph is on the back. it's great--5 songs and on green vinyl!

also in that bunch is a promo only flexi for a fellini film called 'juliet of the spirits' (music of course by nino rota). it looks like it was put out by the film company that distributed it. weird.

'12 o'clock rocks' is a single for an old radio show on kpfk out of l.a. includes live recordings from flesh eaters, dream syndicate and savage republic.

malibus (soul/r&b) and a rare r&b/doo-wop single by the robins.

also--12"s and lps not pictured ---
    kool g rap & dj polo --road to the riches lp (in generic 12" sleeve), superstar a-mar feat jay bee rock on zakia, stetsasonic 12" on tommy boy, nyc crew-- we likes it 12" on big apple, mix master spade on la posse, & joe battaan's el rap-o clap-o

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I got that record today, too. Kind of , needs another listen.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Nice find on the LEon Cook, A*i. Been jamming that up here for a bit.

K.

yeah, it's really good. i've already given it a few spins and i just picked it up yesterday. pretty much every tune is a winner.

the ruy-blas was maybe the coolest thing i found- really unique spanish jazz fusion record.

• Options
    Got a couple things up my alley this weekend...

OG on Hardwax

K in Canada.

• my finds: indoor flea rampage, thrift shop that was overflowing, and my hookup

I used to have that Kreator album but I left it on my mom's car roof before I drove off one night. Never saw it again.

Otherwise re: your finds - wow.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    psych from korea and sweden (i think)

Not Swedish, it's Estonian. What's it like?

• Can I get some audio of this? Looks dope.

Mm, no audio, but this is a dope record. It's just harp but it creates and sustains a real mood. Sells cause it was briefly used in Blade Runner, an interesting record because it was made in 1969 (the cover here) and reissued in the late 70s as new age was taking off as a genre.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    PLP LP titled Power to the Working Class--put out around 1970 by a communist/Trotskyite group PLP (Progressive Labor Party) from Brooklyn, NYC. First side of that lp is more standard folk protest songs, but the 2nd side is where it's at! very cool soul/r&b/funky workouts! song titles on this may rival those by crass --(though this is more red than black)--'get out your red flag, workers!'

Pretty sure I encountered that one... must've only listened to side one

• (us sleeve for the trio lp w/ "amalgam")

$$$$$$$$$

Jaysus. I've seen that album posted on here twice recently. What's the deal w/ the collectro status? My Dad has that album, and maybe one other by them.

They were one of the top barbands in North Louisiana in the mid 80s. Playing at places like Enoch's in Monroe and Shreveport. I haven't heard them in over 15 years, but I'm guessing it's jazz-tinged rock?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Did you find another A-train??

$$$$$$$$$

Jaysus. I've seen that album posted on here twice recently. What's the deal w/ the collectro status? My Dad has that album, and maybe one other by them.

They were one of the top barbands in North Louisiana in the mid 80s. Playing at places like Enoch's in Monroe and Shreveport. I haven't heard them in over 15 years, but I'm guessing it's jazz-tinged rock?

the first one is the only one worth picking up.

the other post you saw of it was mine.

it has a couple jazz fusion tunes that seem to be popular with japanese collectors.

are you from louisiana?

$$$$$$$$$

the first one is the only one worth picking up.

the other post you saw of it was mine.

it has a couple jazz fusion tunes that seem to be popular with japanese collectors.

are you from louisiana?

Yes, born and raised in North Louisiana.

I've probably seen those guys a bunch of times. The only one I remember was at an outdoor fest in S'port that SRV headlined.

But yeah, my dad loved A-Train. He writes arts and entertainment coverage for a small paper in that part of the country. Shit, I could probably get him to track down copies of that if I tried hard enuff.

Sorry, small world moment for yr boy.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    psych from korea and sweden (i think)

Not Swedish, it's Estonian. What's it like?

thanks for the knowledge. the music is hard to describe. the record is from '68 but sounds a little earlier-- like 60s beat--and it has these really weird vocals drenched in reverb which make it sound really tripped out. if i ever figure how to convert itunes to mp3, i'll post a link.