Lurker-Free Pre-Weekend and Weekend FINDS

Comments

• So far Lavender Country isn't rocking my world but I do think it would have made a terrific soundtrack to Brokeback Mountain.

That's so funny you said that as I was pretty much thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it...I think that's why I like it so much (it would make a great soundtrack to a 70's era gay cowboy art film ).

• Man, just gotta say that movie is hella lame. No hating on my gayy peoples, but that soap opera made me want to hurl.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Buncha junk for cheap, and one happy score.

and no, the "score" is not Big Spliff's avatar LP - although he does have some songs almost as good as his name
    (including og version of "Abraham, Martin & Jawn")
    - no, it's the Spacemen 3 jawn.
    Wasn't gonna leave that one behind...

Oh, and after hearing the LP, I am convinced that this
    Cook E. Jarr is the same guy who has that Baby-Huey-style
    raw-as-fuck funk jam "Whole New World" on the Prince label
    with "the Krums," even though this LP is so lightweight.
    Same voice.
    I still like it, though - 2 Stax covers and like 6 Tim Hardin songs...
    "If I Were a Carpenter" is a song I always buy versions of, and this one is pretty dope, upbeat with nice drums.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    img src="http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/665/jan70uc.th.jpg" border="0"

Arsenal/Koskiala/Shades of Joy in the mail.
    Picked the 4 others up today

Calling ...
    In case youre still interested in a Pookah, I came across one with a COH. I didn't bother picking it up cuz I got mine a few months ago. I think it was like 20 euros/25$ ???

holleur if interested.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    img src="http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/665/jan70uc.th.jpg" border="0"

Arsenal/Koskiala/Shades of Joy in the mail.
    Picked the 4 others up today

Strange. My copy of Arsenal looks like this:

Whichiswhatandwhy?

OK USSR large orchestra fusion.

Strange. My copy of Arsenal looks like this:

Whichiswhatandwhy?

OK USSR large orchestra fusion.

Got Mine from Grope (I'll return the favor soon, homie )
    Dunno, I guess it's the same record

a1 13:15
    a2 8:45
    b1 11:50
    b2 9:57

I cant read the tracknames so this should do for comparing...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    There are at least 5 different pressings of Arsenal...

You're welcome Jay. But why did you list the Arsenal? I found it for you... haha

you should read a lil closer gropey

3 of those came in the mail recently

edit: why aint you online on msn?

Got Mine from Grope (I'll return the favor soon, homie )

Dunno, I guess it's the same record

a1 13:15

a2 8:45

b1 11:50

b2 9:57

I cant read the tracknames so this should do for comparing...

Hmm, mine has the info (tracklist, composers, players, engineers)

in english as well as russian (cyrillic alphabet):

Liner notes are only in cyrillic though.

Any russian heads in here know what the name of the label is?

ME???something. Seems like it was one of the largest russian labels.

I always see a lot of classical music on this label.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

with "the Krums,"

Plus he ran for Mayor of Las Vegas on more than one occasion!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Liner notes are only in cyrillic though.
    Any russian heads in here know what the name of the label is?
    ME???something. Seems like it was one of the largest russian labels.
    I always see a lot of classical music on this label.

Yours is on Melodia and seems to be an early pressing. All Jazz-Rock Group LPs are on Melodia. It as one of the only labels in Russia. Like AMIGA in Eastern Germany.
    The deep purple ones (I've seen two) are early pressings. There were many releases of those Melodia Jazz records. Some only with cyrillic signs, some with English translations. I used to own four different pressings of Arsneal. Pressed very soon after the original release. The last one from 1981.

E.Daily's pressing looks so bright, because the cover stood in the sun for some time. It's bleached. But the cover was more red anyways...

Yours is on Melodia

Aaah, Melodia. I always wondered what that name was. I can understand a lot of words in slavic languages (my little brother's father is from Poland), but I can only decipher russian if it is spoken, because of the cyrillic alphabet barrier. Thanks Grope.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

with "the Krums,"

Plus he ran for Mayor of Las Vegas on more than one occasion!!

STORIES PLAESE

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    isn't Melodia the ONLY label from Russia? Funded by the gov't. Pretty dag sure of it.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    isn't Melodia the ONLY label from Russia? Funded by the gov't. Pretty dag sure of it.

I bet. AMIGA was the only Eastern German label. But there might have been some sub labels or some independent labels in the Baltic states or in Southern Russia.

I've actually seen Russian releases post 1990 that weren't on Melodia, so they prolly broke up the regime in the 80s. I guess it was kinda the same deal that Ethiopia had, where the government ran the only record label in the country so they could keep tabs on all the money being made. Only Russia didn't have any Mulatu types that had the ballz to do releases behind the back of the gov't.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Only Russia didn't have any Mulatu types that had the ballz to do releases behind the back of the gov't.

Russian Punk! 80s Punk from Russia. On independent labels... Russia had zzzzz too.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Flippers has some

• Flippers has some

The Flippers were a pretty huge deal around these parts in the late 60s. I think the LP sucks, but so many of my older record friends talk about this band as if they were the Beatles. Apparently they smoked live.

• Options
    [the truly insane jamaican guy who used to set up at the Avenue A flea- he was very hard to be nice to.

Did get a Frankie Zhivago off him for a twomp though...

[got]listened to[/got]

K.

• [the truly insane jamaican guy who used to set up at the Avenue A flea- he was very hard to be nice to.

Did get a Frankie Zhivago off him for a twomp though...

[got]listened to[/got]

K.

Yes, Kevin, the one I traded to you... are you somehow trying to belittle the find because you were able to pry it out of my hands?

• Options
    NOpe. Monster find, dude. Monster.

A Loving Father, K.

P.S. Frankie is the more common record of the two traded. My love for Summer records is not normal.

• NOpe. Monster find, dude. Monster.

A Loving Father, K.

P.S. Frankie is the more common record of the two traded. My love for Summer records is not normal.

Still need you to find a "Hello Stranger" 45 for me! The rest of the LP, pfffft... you can take it

Love the Summer stuff, too...

also I should mention completely sold out of that last batch I got from you. So...

• Options
    I got some Johnnie Osbourne + ERW's for you, too. You need the disco one?

Also, I got a 45 that needs a spot at your place. 1974 soul duet with Bunny Brown (of the Chosen Few) and Johnnie Osbourne trading falsetto's over a funky (buit distracting from the vocals) solely drum and bass backing. Never really heard anything like it.

K.

• Options
    You ever heard the Earth Roots and Water "Need to LEave You" 45?

K.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Ray Bryant, Diz, Pacific Jazz, Lou Live!, Stones, Dave Hardiman, Temps, Bill Deal, Atlantic R&B 63-64.

• walked into a spot today that i seldom check out because they usually have a pretty dismal selection. the store also has tons of records that are out, but not accessible to customers. i thumb through an unpriced section, and ask the dude if he can price them if i pull some out. said he would check them out online since the records were 'higher end'. well, it was mostly shit, the same shit that i sift through on every other visit. but i did pull out vg copies of the following:

baby huey lp promo
    james brown - reality lp
    lyn collins - check me out lp
    willie mitchell - solid soul lp
    new birth - birthday lp
    nite liters - different strokes lp
    world class wreckin cru - turn off the lights lp
    too short - born to mack lp
    leroy hutson - feel the spirit lp
    betty davis - they say im different lp
    plus a couple of clunkers to possibly balance the damage.

i take the records to the register, totally expecting him to price them silly high, he looked at each of them, and told me none of them were for sale, cuz he can get money for them online. he never checked the computer, and had no interest in even trying to sell them to me. i walked out kind pissed. so now i have no weekend finds.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    walked into a spot today that i seldom check out because they usually have a pretty dismal selection. the store also has tons of records that are out, but not accessible to customers. i thumb through an unpriced section, and ask the dude if he can price them if i pull some out. said he would check them out online since the records were 'higher end'. well, it was mostly shit, the same shit that i sift through on every other visit. but i did pull out vg copies of the following:

baby huey lp promo
    james brown - reality lp
    lyn collins - check me out lp
    willie mitchell - solid soul lp
    new birth - birthday lp
    nite liters - different strokes lp
    world class wreckin cru - turn off the lights lp
    too short - born to mack lp
    leroy hutson - feel the spirit lp
    betty davis - they say im different lp
    plus a couple of clunkers to possibly balance the damage.

i take the records to the register, totally expecting him to price them silly high, he looked at each of them, and told me none of them were for sale, cuz he can get money for them online. he never checked the computer, and had no interest in even trying to sell them to me. i walked out kind pissed. so now i have no weekend finds.
    You gotta love record store clerks that get their customers to select which records to list online next week.