Pharrell - In My Mind

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sooo looking foward to this cd coming out Jan. 27th I just heard a track on this cd called "Mamacita" w/ Daddy Yankee, it is off the chain . So far the track list is:Can I Have It Like That (w/ Gwen Stefani)AngelKeep It Playa (w/ Slim Thug)MamacitaYoung Girl (w/ Jay-Z)Baby P.S. This is gonna sell way more than Kanye's L.R.

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    baby milo, indeed. *cough*

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

P.S. This is gonna sell way more than Kanye's L.R.
    doubt it. the single has really caught on, i'm surprised too, cuz that track is BONKERS!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

doubt it. the single hasN'T really caught on, i'm surprised too, cuz that track is BONKERS!

baby milo, indeed. *cough*

nigo, plaese?

doubt it. the single hasN'T really caught on, i'm surprised too, cuz that track is BONKERS!
    lol thats what i meant

BURN OUT

BoURNe OUT
    ??

lol

kinda like

SEACREST OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no, like, my mind is fried

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm looking forward to this LP too but let's keep this in mind:

Pharrell's biggest single (his song, not someone he produced for) was 2003's "Frontin" which was #34 for the year.

"Gold Digger" on the other hand, is 2005's #6 single of the year.

Much as I like Pharrell, he hasn't proven a consistent ability to carry an album on his own (look at how well the "Clones" album didn't do). Kanye has knocked out two best-selling CDs, two years in a row. Provided, he's not selling 50 Cent or Mariah numbers, but I'd reel in the enthusiasm for Pharrell's project until he actually puts out a good song from it. That first single?

I'm sooo looking foward to this cd coming out Jan. 27th I just heard a track on this cd called "Mamacita" w/ Daddy Yankee, it is off the chain . So far the track list is:

Can I Have It Like That (w/ Gwen Stefani)
    Angel
    Keep It Playa (w/ Slim Thug)
    Mamacita
    Young Girl (w/ Jay-Z)
    Baby

I'm looking forward to this LP too but let's keep this in mind:

Pharrell's biggest single (his song, not someone he produced for) was 2003's "Frontin" which was #34 for the year.

"Gold Digger" on the other hand, is 2005's #6 single of the year.

Much as I like Pharrell, he hasn't proven a consistent ability to carry an album on his own (look at how well the "Clones" album didn't do). Kanye has knocked out two best-selling CDs, two years in a row. Provided, he's not selling 50 Cent or Mariah numbers, but I'd reel in the enthusiasm for Pharrell's project until he actually puts out a good song from it. That first single?

SPOT ON!!!!!!!

I hope Interscope is listening to this analysis and figures out a PHAT game plan to promote the album (and have it be a solid product) otherwise this album will go the way of the "Clones."

WHILE WE ARE AT IT:

INTERSCOPE, WHY YOU IGNORE THE CLIPSE FOR SO LONG?????????????????

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Aren't the Clipse still tied up in their Arista contract?

• well keep in mind almost every single this year is hitting about a month to two months after its been released... we have been having to sit on stock until joints get their push.

but even so I don't see this outselling Kanye...

• more importantly has anyone copped THIS?

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Doesn't he sound like a bad Nas rip off on that Gwen S duet?
    I think so...

He should stick with singing...

• i still bump the first N.E.R.D album regularly and the second one isn't too shabby either. thought that his solo album might pick up where NERD left off, but based on the first single, it doesnt look that way.

• i've become a big fan of this guy....
    i like his little dance w/ the shoulders in the "can i have like that" video.. what's that... it's like the harlem shake?
    w/ the shoulders?
    i like that. nice marketer niche.

• P.S. This is gonna sell way more than Kanye's L.R.
    doubt it. the single hasN'T really caught on, i'm surprised too, cuz that track is
    absolutely nowhere near being[/b] BONKERS!

That Pharrel single is wretched. Gwen Stefani needs to return to 30 yrs old. That shit is pathetic watching her try to grind on Slim Thug, enjoy a 'rican BBQ, do the Busta chorus thing.

And Pharrel has been far from hitting lately. Dude killed that Thicke song (not in a good way). I was excited for that move on Thicke's part at first. Further, now that he is cutting his hair he might actually get a real push from interscope. But if that materially stays like that, I'll have to stay with the first album.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm expecting it to be hit-n-miss like everything else Pharrell/Neptunes are involved with. Moments of pure genius as well as moments of extreme t??rdness. The single belongs to the latter category. Dude needs to stick behind the boards and lay off the vocals. Singing the occasional chorus or doing a few adlib grunts is acceptable, but somebody please make him stop rapping. N.E.R.D. is 90% garbage IMO, and I'm dreading a whole album of Pharrell, Pharrell & Pharrell. I've got massive respect for him as a producer, but as a performer???survey says

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm expecting it to be hit-n-miss like everything else Pharrell/Neptunes are involved with.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Even though its presented as such I don't think of CLONES as a Neptunes album... and if its sales were low that very well could've been because the public isn't yet ready for an album where the producers are the artist...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Even though its presented as such I don't think of CLONES as a Neptunes album... and if its sales were low that very well could've been because the public isn't yet ready for an album where the producers are the artist...

That album (clones) was all over the place. It's tough to call that a proper album. What was that rock band on there? Pharell's new album should have some good joints on there but I doubt it will bump all the way through. I'm more excited about the Clipse's next album. Release it already. It's like a stagnent pond of hip hop out there. Drop it already.

• Even though its presented as such I don't think of CLONES as a Neptunes album...

Clones was a Neptunes produced compilation and its far from a Pharrell album, except for Frontin and maybe a couple other songs where he had guest vocals.

What don't you like about NERD?

Clones was a Neptunes produced compilation and its far from a Pharrell album, except for Frontin and maybe a couple other songs where he had guest vocals.

I'm saying: the Neptunes couldn't generate that much hype for an album they oversaw; why is there any confidence that Pharrell can come up with an entire album's worth of material (though I suppose, all he needs is two good singles)?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I'm saying: the Neptunes couldn't generate that much hype for an album they oversaw; why is there any confidence that Pharrell can come up with an entire album's worth of material (though I suppose, all he needs is two good singles)?

what does generating hype have to do with coming up with good material? plaese to give criteria

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    The first NERD album has some classics on it, the 2nd is poo!

what does generating hype have to do with coming up with good material? plaese to give criteria

I'm just saying: "Clones" actually had some good singles on it but as an album, that shit didn't move that many units. And it wasn't like a N.E.R.D. album; it was a comp, but more tailored at the urban contemporary market than something like N.E.R.D. which was for skater dudes who grew up on modern rock and hip-hop.

The idea that a Pharrell solo LP is going to kill - let alone kill Kanye's numbers - just seems unfounded unless he can come with a bigger single that even "Frontin".

• The idea that a Pharrell solo LP is going to kill - let alone kill Kanye's numbers - just seems unfounded unless he can come with a bigger single that even "Frontin".

"Frontin" might technically be his only real single, but he put snoop on his back with that chorus for "beautiful" and held his own on "drop it like its hot". Also, not everything on those NERD albums was rock/hip-hop, i think lap dance is basically a hip-hop song, especially the first version, but then again, that wasn't really a chart topper. didn't he also do some vocals on timberlake's album too? i guess my point is that if Pharrell's album ends up being a killer, i don't think people will be too shocked.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

I'm just saying: "Clones" actually had some good singles on it but as an album, that shit didn't move that many units. And it wasn't like a N.E.R.D. album; it was a comp, but more tailored at the urban contemporary market than something like N.E.R.D. which was for skater dudes who grew up on modern rock and hip-hop.

The idea that a Pharrell solo LP is going to kill - let alone kill Kanye's numbers - just seems unfounded unless he can come with a bigger single that even "Frontin".

i agree with you but you didn't answer my question.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yes I'm looking forward to this too but doubt it will surpass KW in numbers. Gold Digger vs. Can I Have It Like That - don't compare to the masses, even tho I like Pharrell's joint better.

I think the Neptunes are one of those (for lack of better words) "entities" that will never be able to generate the numbers we expect even tho their singles get played everywhere all the time. Clones was an overall good album (when you look at it from the singles that came out, not to mention the line up - Busta, ODB, Nelly, Nas, Snoop, Luda and so on). I know here in SoCal the Snoop joint was played all the time, Hot Damn w/Clipse = niceness, the Busta joint and of course Frontin. 4 solid singles should've produced better numbers but it didn't. The first NERD album was cool, but remember the first run didn't do shit - they went back and re-recorded everything and that's when they started sellin more units. 2nd NERD album didn't do shit... Pharrell's new album.......??? Don't think it will do much better. I agree they should stick to just producing for other artists and make brief guest vocals on some joints...

I'll still be coppin the new album tho...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I think the first N.E.R.D. would've got a lot more attention if Virgin/EMI hadn't put it out--they didn't know how to promote it.