Rockers vs. Harder They Come

Comments

• Maybe I'm the one who's soft because I need those subtitles. I can't understand a damn thing the dude at the beginning with the big giant dread is saying. And I kind of feel that since I need the subtitles because the speech is so REAL it adds credibility to the idea that the movie is so REAL as opposed to some dude running around popping off shots at cops (which is entertainging to me too).

Nah man, you're right on. That's exactly why the subtitles are . Cos even tho the muthafuckers are speaking english you can't understand what the fuck they're saying. That only makes the film more authentic. You think you're going to get an 'actor' to speak patois like that?

Also, isn't those rasta in the beginning members of Count Ossie and the Mystic Sounds of Rastafari? Can't seem to find any info on the net. But for those fronting on this, don't sleep on the whole Nyabinghi drumming scene in jamaican music. Their answer to afro-beat in a way, and Count Ossie has done some really hot shit. Not necessarily for the dancefloor, but he has put out some dubbed out deepness that would rival any strata east/tribe/etc release.

I'm not saying I don't like "Draw Your Brakes". In fact I like that song a lot. I used to try to drop it into mini reggae sets, but no one was able to dance to it. But, hey, I'm not a real dj, I just spin at my friends' houses for free and everyone is nice and ignore it when I have trainwrecks or get too fucked up and lift the needle on the record that's playing instead of the one that just stopped....

Its not easy trying to get people to dance to things around 70bpm, but it can happen. It depends on the party and the crowd, but it can be done, I've played this party in San Diego a few times called Dub Dynamite and had people grooving to shit at that tempo. In general tho, its too slow for the common punter. If you like Draw Your Brakes check Augustus Pablo's 'Bells of Death', which is the melodica dub version. And Jah Lion does decent DJ version of Police and Thieves called 'Soldier and Police War' on the 12" EP that came out on island in the 70's.

$??

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I like Rockers better. As far as soundtracks go, I like Harder they come better. Taking nothing away from Rockers. I can do without two versions of the title song. What's up with that???

• Thanks for the recs smallchange. Always looking for new stuff especially if it's called "Bells of Death".

• If you like Draw Your Brakes check Augustus Pablo's 'Bells of Death'

"Bells of Death" is HEAVY.

• If you like Draw Your Brakes check Augustus Pablo's 'Bells of Death'

"Bells of Death" is HEAVY.

we putting two ultra classics up against each other.
    i celebrate every moment of rockers...scenery, script, soundtrack....its all so ill and on point. everything about it. ruffy and mothef*kin tuffy

but harder they come is just as ill , just as rough and definitely had more screen significance

rockers

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts

we putting two ultra classics up against each other.
    i celebrate every moment of rockers...scenery, script, soundtrack....its all so ill and on point. everything about it. ruffy and mothef*kin tuffy

but harder they come is just as ill , just as rough and definitely had more screen significance

• "don't [slash], fuck [slash], with me... [slash]..."

THTC wins for sipreano bar that boss scene in rockers of tommy mccook blowing pure gold in a de yard...
    lates...

• The opening scene in Rockers blows Harder They Come out of the water IMO.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

The Harder they Come is basically a Blaxploitation film located in Jamaica.

The Harder They Come has nothing in common with blaxploitation movies except black actors and a crime theme. Between Harder and Rockers, THTC wins for me...

• Count Ossie has done some really hot shit.quote]

sorry, but this made me laugh...its deeply spiritual sufferah music...not sure the word "hot" applies here

• Come on. Isn't it just a little over the top? I guess I've got to rewatch it...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    What I mean is that it's the same era, got a gangster thing going on and music is a big part of THTC but it's an uncomfortable, real, gritty picture rather than the standard blaxplo blinged-up comic book violence-fest. I like blaxploitation movies too but it's a genre that's coming from somewhere else entirely.

• Count Ossie has done some really hot shit.quote]

sorry, but this made me laugh...its deeply spiritual sufferah music...not sure the word "hot" applies here

noted. The shit isn't a dancefloor burner. But I like nonetheless.

$??

• The opening scene in Rockers blows Harder They Come out of the water IMO.

• Rockers blows Harder

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    that DJ scene I think is reminscent of what was happening then, you had people dancing to disco,

WHAT IS THAT DISCO SONG????!!!!!!????!!!!!?????

This shit has been buggin me for years.

Roundtree "Get On Up (Get On Down)" on Omni Records

You can find this on the cheapy cheap.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    So I just watched the harder they come after like...ten years. Rockers is way better

• I have not seen THTC, but I will get around to it.

The intro to Rockers with Higher talking and the drums kicking in is classic. Respect.

• it's Rockers all day, airyday. THTC has nothing on just like, the 'Stepping Razor" montage.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The book that Michael Thelwell wrote based on Harder They Come is also quite good. I was very skeptical when it was first described to me, but it's not a straight novelization--the film is more of a departure point for Thelwell, a Jamaican ex-pat who had been a SNCC student organizer in the sixties and later founded and taught in the Af. Am. Studies program at U. Mass. Amherst.

It was out of print for a long time but now seems to be available again.

• Countryman! is better than both!

Just kidding. Rockers, all day every day. "Don't touch I-man food!"

• girgir 329 Posts
    it's Rockers all day, airyday. THTC has nothing on just like, the 'Stepping Razor" montage.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Also, isn't those rasta in the beginning members of Count Ossie and the Mystic Sounds of Rastafari?

It's The Abyssinians and the Sons of Negus. It's actually Satta Massagana "nyahbingi" style.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    All I know is that the two pistol action in THTC is serious. I just actually grabbed it up from Netflix recently and cherished it. But, yeah, ya can't fuck with Jacob Miller defending his food in Rockers.

Great thread!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Rockers better be good,i just ordered a copy of the dvd,i'll have it by the end of this week hopefully.

Me: Do you have the movie Rockers?

Music Store Clerk: "WHA NAME SO?! MI NUH KNOW BOUT DAT DEH MOVIE"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Rockers better be good

Trusss...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Hahaha! I knew before I even clicked on it that you'd linked to something about "Babylon". That's a great picture. The only reason I can think of that this hasn't had a full DVD release must be down to licensing problems. It's one of the best British movies of the last thirty-odd years.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

I've never seen this! Putting it on the to-do list???

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

I've never seen this! Putting it on the to-do list???

It's great - superb Aswad soundtrack (Brinsley Dan plays the lead role), some great performances and a really gritty late '70's feel to it. Only available on bootleg DVD or VHS as far as I know.