Best Movies of 2005

Comments

• Me, You and Everyone We Know was far and away the best film I saw from last year. It was the only interesting, thought provoking film I've seen lately (not saying there are no others, I just haven't seen them.) Oh, And I liked Batman a lot too.

• Might have to go with War Of The Worlds. I was expecting to hate this but very much enjoyed it at the cinema. Hollywood blockbuster action flicks are not really my thing but this had a pretty big wow factor for me. Quite an under-rated film in my opinion I thought everyone would have eaten it up. Might be a bit of a throw away film when I come to watch it again however.

• i think it was on the brink, but if it was actually 2005 - another Bale film: The Machinist. loved it.

it was 2004, but no matter what year it is a great film

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    i think it was on the brink, but if it was actually 2005 - another Bale film: The Machinist. loved it.

I guess it's great if you like a incoherent story directed by a 3rd rate David Fincher wannabe.

• Might have to go with War Of The Worlds. I was expecting to hate this but very much enjoyed it at the cinema. Hollywood blockbuster action flicks are not really my thing but this had a pretty big wow factor for me. Quite an under-rated film in my opinion I thought everyone would have eaten it up. Might be a bit of a throw away film when I come to watch it again however.

I rented it on DVD...and I must say I was impressed that Cruise stayed in character considering how bananas he is...but working men don't wear $300 jeans.

And am I the only person on here who saw Walk the Line?

• i think it was on the brink, but if it was actually 2005 - another Bale film: The Machinist. loved it.

I guess it's great if you like a incoherent story directed by a 3rd rate David Fincher wannabe.

i really dont think it was incoherent, i was able to follow it and iam a massive stoner, i really dont see the Fincher comparison, cause of the story's resemblence to fight club?

you should watch session 9 which i think is better than the machinsidt, i know bassie diagrees on that, but brad anderson is a really good director, prob the best the US has right now

I rented it on DVD...and I must say I was impressed that Cruise stayed in character considering how bananas he is...but working men don't wear $300 jeans.

My wife and MiL saw "Walk the Line" and absolutely raved about it. Everyone else I've talked to that's seen it quite enjoyed it.

My wife and MiL saw "Walk the Line" and absolutely raved about it. Everyone else I've talked to that's seen it quite enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it too. I couldn't buy Reese Witherspoon though...I tried. June Carter had a 'severe' way about her that's hard for an actress of her generation to pull off.

But any movie that has a country star wrecking his tractor doped up on benzedrine and Wild Turkey gets an extra 1/2 star from me.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    i really dont think it was incoherent, i was able to follow it and iam a massive stoner, i really dont see the Fincher comparison, cause of the story's resemblence to fight club?

you should watch session 9 which i think is better than the machinsidt, i know bassie diagrees on that, but brad anderson is a really good director, prob the best the US has right now

I saw session 9 it was better than Machinist, but you have to admit that when the director finally gets a budget to prove himself,what does he do? he goes out and copys Fincher's look(visual/style & color) He cant stand out as a original doing that.I think the dude that did "Requiem" is really the best in the US now.

• I saw session 9 it was better than Machinist, but you have to admit that when the director finally gets a budget to prove himself,what does he do? he goes out and copys Fincher's look(visual/style & color) He cant stand out as a original doing that.I think the dude that did "Requiem" is really the best in the US now.

i guess we'll agree to disagree on the Fincher influence, i have high hopes brad anderson, his next film is a remake of the crazies which has so much potential for a really good scary movie, anrnokofsy(sp?) is one of the best american directors as well, it depends on what he does in the fountain, i really dont have high hopes for it though, hugh jackman is the lead and i think that might spell doom for that film

• Movies I wanna see that I think could contend for this list:

King Kong

Walk the Line

The Constant Gardener (really hyped to see this one)

History of Violence

Grizzly Man

Broken Flowers

Movies I want to see that are probably shitty but I still want to see them

Unleashed

(the aforementioned) Mr & Mrs. SMith (I like Doug Liman)

Four Brothers (why o why would I bother w/ a John Singleton movie)

Wedding Crashers

fuckin Domino (Tony Scott batches!)

pretty much any horror movie that came out

Syriana and that McCarthy flick look like good films but I can't get superexcited about them cos the subjects are kinda "eh".

I did forget to mention this piece of greatness. Yes, I know it's flawed. Make mine top 3:

• History of Violence does have some incredibly wooden dialogue at points, but there is definitely some good shit in there.

I saw that flick last night, thought it was highly over rated. I've seen better cronenberg films.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Maybe this came out last year, but Wrong Turn was the bonerest movie i've seen in a long ass time.

woooooooo hooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Inbread canniballistic hillbillies!!!!

I've talked about this movie before on here, and I swear to god its the raddest movie evar!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i cant think of anything that really made me go YEAH, and i saw more movies than usual this year.

some i liked

tragedy: story of queensbridge - cant wait till this comes out on dvd. i dug it.
    40 year old virgin
    howl's moving castle - although i also saw Pomo Poko for the first time, and it wipes the floor with all the Miyazaki Ghibli films. Miyazaki gets caught up in his parisian fetish too much, where as Pomo Poko is some straight Tanuki Lore shit that will have anyone who ever played Super Mario 3 in a joyous stayt
    block party - saw this at the toronto film festival FUCKED OUT OF MY MIND. I dont remember anything. but i bet it was amazing. no it was really good. i remember a few parts.
    history of violence - also caught this at the TO film festival premier. I actually didnt really like it but William Hurt did make the film. Also, my girl had press passes so we were like 10 feet away from the whole cast. It was kind of a surreal experience for me
    march of the penguins - this movie was pretty mucvh made with someone like me in mind so yeah. morgan freeman as the voice of the penguins was a good move. he looks good in a tuxedo
    Grizzly Man - I saw like 12 Herzog films this year (catching up)...

im not going to post in the worst movies thing BUT, i thought me and you and everyone you know was trash. I thought batman was pretty weak, and I got through about 8 minutes of fantastic 4. and dont get me started on that Harry Potter shit.. man that was horrible

• History of Violence does have some incredibly wooden dialogue at points, but there is definitely some good shit in there.

I saw that flick last night, thought it was highly over rated. I've seen better cronenberg films.

Oh yeah, that's another one I want to see.

Which are your favorites of DC's? I've criminally underlooked him as a film-watcher, so I decided to watch all of his stuff chronologically. I'm up to "Videodrome". I've enjoyed the first four I've watched. Surprisingly, I like either "Shivers" or "Rabid" the most so far.

• Maybe this came out last year, but Wrong Turn was the bonerest movie i've seen in a long ass time.

welcome to 2003 bro

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Aronofsky? ugggh. Requiem and Pi were excruciatingly bad. I'd rather watch a vincent gallo film, and I HATE VINCENT GALLO.

This year I spent most of my time downloading movies from karagarga, but I did enjoy The Corpse bride, Land of the Dead, STAY, and Sin City.

- spidey

• slushslush 691 Posts
    karagarga is awesome.
    i just downloaed some old Bergman... and broken flowers

karagarga is awesome.

You're on KG man, Hit me up there sometime! Same Username as here. I wish Broken Flowers had a better ending. Jarmusch leaves you hanging.

- spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    karagarga is awesome.

You're on KG man, Hit me up there sometime! Same Username as here. I wish Broken Flowers had a better ending. Jarmusch leaves you hanging.

- spidey

I think that's the point of the film though - the unknowability of it all.

I thought BG was ok, but way overhyped. I never got what people found so remarkable about the film though, as others have noted, the Malatu soundtrack? Good call.

• ODub, I won't babysit for you (actually I might if I can rifle through your records), but I will substitute teach your class for you while you spend more time with the little one and catch up on your movie viewing. (I hear Bewitched is pretty good)

My list is never really complete until I've had my way with the screeners, until the Village Voice poll comes out and I get myself to the video store to watch all the little arty movies... Here are a couple of titles I can remember off the top of my head...

Revenge of the Sith
    Mutual Appreciation
    The Squid and the Whale
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    Capote
    A History of Violence
    War of the Worlds
    The New World
    Sin City

It was a pretty eh year. A lot of disappointing movies from great filmmakers -- Oliver Twist, Palindromes, Broken Flowers, Domino, Corpse Bride, Willy Wonka... I was hoping The Island would be decent considering its premise and budget but I was wrong.

• Ok kiddies. I had to jump in on this one. I watch a crapload of movies and have a huge DVD collection so I like to think I know a thing or two.

The Aquatic Life with Steve Zhissou: 5/5 (Not for everyone but this shit is classic to me)

Sin City 5/5: Riveting visuals, Probably the best Comic book movie ever....(next to American Splendor)

Charlie And the Chocolate Factory: 4/5 , Really well done except for the MUSIC, and no one will ever be Gene Wilder.

Machinist 3/5: Best thing about this movie was how fucked up Bale looked. The Morale of the story was just dumb to me. I was pissed at the end.

Batman Begins: 4/5. I really enjoyed this and it destroyed all of the Batman flicks before it. Scarecrow was pretty ill. (Debating Buying this)

Me, You, And Everyone we know: 5/5, Great film. Gave me a similar feeling like Punch Drunk Love. (Must buy this one).

Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire 3/5: What kind of school sets up a competition where kids can die??? I liked the first two but I am sick of trying to suspend logic for this horseshit. Dumbledorf is an idiot. Effects were good though........

Nobody Knows: 4/5 Korean Film where some kids get left while there mother is out partying and one of em dies. Pretty Sad but drags a bit.

Thats all I can remember at the moment.

I want to see Broken Flowers and Mr and Mrs Smith (Morbid curiosity).

Oh man...

Ok kiddies. I had to jump in on this one. I watch a crapload of movies and have a huge DVD collection so I like to think I know a thing or two.

The Aquatic Life with Steve Zhissou: 5/5 (Not for everyone but this shit is classic to me)

Sin City 5/5: Riveting visuals, Probably the best Comic book movie ever....(next to American Splendor)

Charlie And the Chocolate Factory: 4/5 , Really well done except for the MUSIC, and no one will ever be Gene Wilder.

Machinist 3/5: Best thing about this movie was how fucked up Bale looked. The Morale of the story was just dumb to me. I was pissed at the end.

Batman Begins: 4/5. I really enjoyed this and it destroyed all of the Batman flicks before it. Scarecrow was pretty ill. (Debating Buying this)

Me, You, And Everyone we know: 5/5, Great film. Gave me a similar feeling like Punch Drunk Love. (Must buy this one).

Harry Potter, Goblet of Fire 3/5: What kind of school sets up a competition where kids can die??? I liked the first two but I am sick of trying to suspend logic for this horseshit. Dumbledorf is an idiot. Effects were good though........

Nobody Knows: 4/5 Korean Film where some kids get left while there mother is out partying and one of em dies. Pretty Sad but drags a bit.

Thats all I can remember at the moment.

I want to see Broken Flowers and Mr and Mrs Smith (Morbid curiosity).

Not Korean, the film is Japanese. Director is Kore-eda Hirokazu.

• The Aquatic Life with Steve Zhissou: 5/5 (Not for everyone but this shit is classic to me)

Not to get all technical, but I remember this actually coming out Christmas Day, 2004. Would have been on my best of 2005 list if it had come out a week later.

• Shitloads of excellent films...
    I probably see about 2 or 3 a week. More when the Film Festivals are on.
    I work from home so when i go out I see a film.

The Shield - Brutal Fredique Provost's French crim flick i saw all year.
    Tito - Egyptian action film... Hollywood style from an Arabic country...
    Election - Johnnie To's ultra dope triad flick.
    Everything is Illuminated - Thought this was nice & original in it's quirky way.
    Russian Dolls - Sequel to The Spanish Apartment.
    The Constant Gardener - The director of 'City of God' makes the best political thriller of teh year (Syriana hasn't come here yet)
    Snowland - German flick set in Sweden. Masterful look to it.
    UNO - Tough inner city crim film set in Oslo
    Turtles Can Fly - Incredibly emotive Iranian/Kurdish film. Heartbreaking, yet uplifting...
    Hidden Blade - Great little flick on the life of a samurai during a changing period in Japan. Dope.
    Brother - Tight script about Danish peacekeeper. A knockout.
    Calamari Wrestler - Hilarious live action film about a wrestling squid & the troubles with his girlfiriend..
    Pusher 3 - Ballsy tough guy shit from Denamrk. The end of his trilogy.
    Frozen Land - Gritty Finnish film about a bunch of fuck-ups trying to survive in a bleak environment.

Mr & Mrs Smith was extreme shithouse. Had a preview pass... Wanted to punch out the director..

Ha.. Wrong Turn was great. Looking forward to Eli Roth's Hostel...

and I saw a crazy German film about a wannabe kung-fu filmaker who work in a kebab take-away at the Turkish Film Festival...... Hilarious.

Here it is...

I wish Broken Flowers had a better ending. Jarmusch leaves you hanging.

- spidey

I think that's the point of the film though - the unknowability of it all.

Yeah, I know, but call me old fashioned. I like a reason behind my time wasted. Same reason why I can't watch a Gus van Sant movie. Afterwards, I'll only be thinking about all the stuff I could've been doing with my life during my time wasted watching it.

- spidey

Mutual Appreciation

I swear this said Mulatu appreciation, then changed back when I wasn't looking.

- spidey

• YESSSS!!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Although It technically came out last year it was only released in the West this year and was definitely the film that took my breath away this year.