Best Movies of 2005

124»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

The Aquatic Life with Steve Zhissou: 5/5 (Not for everyone but this shit is classic to me)

Not to get all technical, but this movie sucks dick.

• I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned 'Crash'. That was a great movie.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

oh shit - i thought this was a couple of years old - yea, just great.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

The Aquatic Life with Steve Zhissou: 5/5 (Not for everyone but this shit is classic to me)

Not to get all technical, but this movie sucks dick.

I wouldn't know. it put me to sleep within 10 minutes.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Both Ed Harris and William Hurt had great performances in this one. Plus, Maria Bello was damn sexy in it. I think this is Cronenberg's best film in years. Definitely worth checking out.

Dude. Ed Harris and William Hurt sucked in this movie. Thier fake ass philly accents were just horrible and so over the top. Worst line from a movie all year.

Joey: What should I do?

William Hurts (what ever his name was): You could die joey. You could die.

WTF I laughed out loud that shit was so stupid. That movie started out ok and just got really fucking bad.

I concur. The reviews had me amped, but I was dissapointed. 80% of Cronenbergs movies leave me apathetic, and this was one of them. But Maria Bello was sexy, no doubt

I thought she was sexy then I saw her in that movie with William H Macy and she had a totally flat nasty pancake ass.

that was a great movie. the pacing is what made it for me. rhythm and pacing are big things for me these days. this is the first film that has not micromanaged me through the normative pattern of acts in a long while.

i also enjoyed watching all of the Richmonders storm out of the shortpump sprawlplex during the sex scene on the stairs.

i can see how fake regional accents can ruin an otherwise well made film. that happens with almost every movie set in the south. but i don't know the philly accent.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A lot of disappointing movies from great filmmakers -- Palindromes, Broken Flowers

I forgot about Palindromes, which I guess says something, but I was not disappointed by it at all. I loved the concept. He's got a style that I like and this movie stuck to it. The whole expose of the subrubs' underbelly can get tired but I like that he finds new ways of doing the same thing.

I know people are all ho-hum and how disappointing about Broken Flowers, but for what it was - a dry slice of life road movie musical - it was quite nice. Not Jarmusch's strongest, but I didn't feel it was a waste of time either. I think the repetition of the same song is true to how someone who just got a cd and is not necessarily a fan of/familiar with it would play it.

• oh shit - i thought this was a couple of years old - yea, just great.

Yeah, I'm sure it's been out since 03/04 over in France or whatever. 2005 US release, so ya know......

• I can't remember most of the flicks I saw this year, but I remember this being from 05 and being extremely dope:

A Very Long Engagement