Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Grizzly Man
    The Squid and the Whale
    Winter Soldier
    Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Wait! I think this was released in Canada this year:

Regardless, it was a genuinely funny movie. I recommend it, particularly to those of you who, like me, absolutely loathe Shore's entire catalogue. Sweet cameos, too.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Also, I take issue with all this lauding of Sin City. Aesthetically it was very impressive, but that only gets you so far. The writing was horrific, the acting was lousy, and the plot was threadbare. A 15 minute short would have been sufficient.

yeah that was a strange one... i think rodriguez is easily one of the worst directors on the planet in terms of dialogue and believability.. and i HATE frank miller... that said i for some reason liked sin city alot.. it was awesome visually and i thought the over the top tone was on the money.. but everybody i've talked to really didnt like it at all.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Are you serious? This move was offensively bad. I was shocked by how much stupidity Hollywood managed to package into one film. I suppose in that sense it was actually something of a triumph.

yup very serious. saw it twice, high as a kite and was totally entertained both times. wasn't expecting anything less than totally Hollywood.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Are you serious? This move was offensively bad. I was shocked by how much stupidity Hollywood managed to package into one film. I suppose in that sense it was actually something of a triumph.

yup very serious. saw it twice, high as a kite and was totally entertained both times. wasn't expecting anything less than totally Hollywood.

She just liked checkin' out Christian Bale's Batpackage...

HAHAA

HAHAA

lol!

Cillian Murphy was so good in it too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

HAHAA

lol!

Cillian Murphy was so good in it too.

This movie was banging. First movie I saw on a plane that I was super into, and the only good Batman jawn IMO.

Christian Bale is hot too.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Both Ed Harris and William Hurt had great performances in this one. Plus, Maria Bello was damn sexy in it. I think this is Cronenberg's best film in years. Definitely worth checking out.

Dude. Ed Harris and William Hurt sucked in this movie. Thier fake ass philly accents were just horrible and so over the top. Worst line from a movie all year.

Joey: What should I do?

William Hurts (what ever his name was): You could die joey. You could die.

WTF I laughed out loud that shit was so stupid. That movie started out ok and just got really fucking bad.

I concur. The reviews had me amped, but I was dissapointed. 80% of Cronenbergs movies leave me apathetic, and this was one of them. But Maria Bello was sexy, no doubt

• Both Ed Harris and William Hurt had great performances in this one. Plus, Maria Bello was damn sexy in it. I think this is Cronenberg's best film in years. Definitely worth checking out.

Dude. Ed Harris and William Hurt sucked in this movie. Thier fake ass philly accents were just horrible and so over the top. Worst line from a movie all year.

Joey: What should I do?

William Hurts (what ever his name was): You could die joey. You could die.

WTF I laughed out loud that shit was so stupid. That movie started out ok and just got really fucking bad.

I concur. The reviews had me amped, but I was dissapointed. 80% of Cronenbergs movies leave me apathetic, and this was one of them. But Maria Bello was sexy, no doubt

I thought she was sexy then I saw her in that movie with William H Macy and she had a totally flat nasty pancake ass.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    But Maria Bello was sexy, no doubt

I thought she was sexy then I saw her in that movie with William H Macy and she had a totally flat nasty pancake ass.

Damn it! Flat arses gotta go.

Sorry, no dice, Maria. You're going into the why-do-people-jock-her pile with Cameron Diaz.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Me and you and Everyone we know.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    2004, but I don't do the movies, so 2005 DVD:

This movie was fucking intense. Ganz playing Hitler losing his rag is a sight to behold. (subtitles)

• parenparen 537 Posts

Me and you and Everyone we know.

terrible film...

pj 3's to ))>((

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

terrible film...

different strokes i suppose. My favorite 'film'. Not an action flick or anything, but not like anything else I have seen in a long time.

pj 3's to ))>((

back and forth. forever.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wait! I think this was released in Canada this year:

Regardless, it was a genuinely funny movie. I recommend it, particularly to those of you who, like me, absolutely loathe Shore's entire catalogue. Sweet cameos, too.

How are you gonna knock Batman and Sin City then recommend a Pauly shore flick?

- spidey

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

How are you gonna knock Batman and Sin City then recommend a Pauly shore flick?

- spidey

have you seen it tho? It really is quite a good flick. not my favorite, but definately worth a mention.

-pj

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    As per request:

I don't really have very many favorite movies of the year. Keep in mind, with a baby, I just don't get out much and so most of what I've seen have tended to be big (and disappointing) blockbusters or whatever shit got bootlegged and put online so I can download. That cuts out MANY smaller films that I"m excited to see but haven't been able to.

There were a lot of films I liked but wouldn't necessarily consider "great" films:

Mr. and Mrs. Smith (very dumb. Very fun).

Wedding Crashers (needed better editing but Vince Vaughn was great)

40 Year Old Virgin (a smarter juvenile film that you'd expect)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (again, needed better editing but better than the last two films in the series)

Films I wanted to see but haven't:

Syriana
    The Squid and the Whale
    Good Night and Good Luck
    Capote

Disappointing films but I wouldn't call them "the worst" I saw:

History of Violence (it was ok but I was far, far from blown away by it. Co-sign of Bello's hotness though-I liked her since "ER")

Sin City (despite indications otherwise)

March of the Penguins (beautiful but for whatever reason, I just lost interest halfway through)

War of the Worlds (the first 30 minutes were kind of amazing but then it went way downhill from there)

Batman Begins (first half was good, bottom half was ludicrous)

Constantine (I went in with low expectations. It met them. I like Catholic mythology though)

Hitchhiker's Guide (the book was better)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

There were a lot of films I liked[/b] but wouldn't necessarily consider "great" films:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (again, needed better editing but better than the last two films in the series)

This is bullshit. You diss Sin City but have some REALLY weak picks for best flicks?! the fuck? Your opinions on film have just been rendered worthless.

• There were a lot of films I liked[/b] but wouldn't necessarily consider "great" films:

This is bullshit. You diss Sin City but have some REALLY weak picks for best flicks?! the fuck? Your opinions on film have just been rendered worthless.

i have to agree oliver, your film tastes are pretty wack, mr and ms smith over batman or sin city

There were a lot of films I liked[/b] but wouldn't necessarily consider "great" films:

i have to agree oliver, your film tastes are pretty wack, mr and ms smith over batman or sin city

What's worse is that he had to qualify each flick as if we were missing something when we saw these peices of shit in the theatre.

Criticism for the sake of criticism is

Ha ha, go back and re-read ass clowns. I didn't say these were "best" or even "great" films. I said they were films I LIKED.

And yeah, I liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith more than Sin City or Batman.

Deal with it.

By the way,

If anyone of you want to come babysit for me for a day, I'll go out and watch some of the films that would likely be undisputedly better than anything I already mentioned but - like I said - I haven't been able to see yet, i.e. "Syriana," "King Kong," "Capote," etc.

What's worse is that he had to qualify each flick as if we were missing something when we saw these peices of shit in the theatre.

Unlike, of course, that masterpiece known as "Batman Begins"? Gimme a fucking break.

• "And yeah, I liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith more than Sin City or Batman."[/b]

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    There were a lot of films I liked but wouldn't necessarily consider "great" films:

i hate to join the hatin on odub club but man o man??

you teach a class on film and this is the best stuff you saw all year???

what kind of stuff do you guys talk about in this class?

Animal House and its impact on post structuralist narratives i nthe modern cinema??

i need to reiterate

this is wrong on SO many levels.. one it implies that you saw the others. two it implies dissipointment with the series meaning you must have read and "enjoyed" the books.

so so wrong

By the way,

If anyone of you want to come babysit for me for a day[/b], I'll go out and watch some of the films that would likely be undisputedly better than anything I already mentioned but - like I said - I haven't been able to see yet, i.e. "Syriana," "King Kong," "Capote," etc.

Wow, you're the only strutter with kids! Even so, somehow the FEW movies that you managed to see AND choose as favorites were all pretty much crap.

So what you like Mr and Mrs Smith more than insert movie name here, the point is that you have horrible tastes in movies and people should ignore what you say about them, so I'll be the first... starting..... NOW.

i think it was on the brink, but if it was actually 2005 - another Bale film: The Machinist. loved it.

• Here's my two favorite movies this year so y'all can hatt on them and me:

By the way,

If anyone of you want to come babysit for me for a day[/b], I'll go out and watch some of the films that would likely be undisputedly better than anything I already mentioned but - like I said - I haven't been able to see yet, i.e. "Syriana," "King Kong," "Capote," etc.

Wow, you're the only strutter with kids! Even so, somehow the FEW movies that you managed to see AND choose as favorites were all pretty much crap.

So what you like Mr and Mrs Smith more than insert movie name here, the point is that you have horrible tastes in movies and people should ignore what you say about them, so I'll be the first... starting..... NOW.

• I liked Devils Rejects, thought it was way better than the other movie he did.
    I enjoyed most of Me and You and Everyone we Know, but Miranda July's voice is irritating to me. The kids do a really good job as does the guy from Deadwood.
    History of Violence does have some incredibly wooden dialogue at points, but there is definitely some good shit in there. Didn't see hustle and flow.