where do you work?

Comments

• girgir 329 Posts
    while at school i work at a used record store in northern virginia.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    small documentary production company
    record store
    bars - dj, door person
    home - chores chores chores

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    High School teacher at Oakland Technical High in Oakland, CA. Teach California Studies (CA history and CA literature) to 9th graders in a 2 hour block class, and one 12th grade Government/Economics class. Been teaching 9 years now, all at Tech.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i am a partner in a new studio slated to take off in '06. my duties are
    a)engineering
    b)producing
    c)find bands to record and liscence
    d)be young (i am 10 years youner than my 2 partners)

hopefully we will have a good go at it. things are looking good. we are ultimately going to be writing music to be liscenced(thats where the money is these days). but until then i will record/mix/guerilla master anything that comes my way. hollur if you hear me.

before that i was a freelance engineer/wiring guy(installing audio and video systems).

before that i was a restaraunt whore.

i like being my own boss.

Congrats & Good Luck! Running the studio is easy. Keeping a steady stream of work rolling in is the hard part. Bless!

I got laid off about a year ago from

were I was the lead sound designer/producer.

Since then I've been freelancing in South Florida where everyone w/ a comp & Logic, Protools, DP,... think they do "audio". I'm trying to step up the house game in 2006 to 3000+sq ft, so until then I'm taking any and all video/audio jobs that come my way.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i've not been having a 9-5 since around 1999. been surviving off the music biz since. before that i worked in a copy shop and was a cook at a restaurant.

• I work for a high profile litigation firm in NYC and to a lesser degree a VERY high profile criminal defense attorney, I've been working with the same group of people for 11 years, they are super nice people, super smart, and super-duper liberal (they make funky16 look like Archie Bunker), I used to be the manager of the office, about 100 people, did all the leasing, buildouts, hiring, firing, etc. but since they got me into law school I just hang around and do paralegal work for them 5 hours a day. I met my fiance there, and found my apartment through them, and they'll hire me back when I graduate. Every day I thank my lucky stars that I somehow fell into that job.

• i make gasoline.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I work in a deli at a grocery store frying chicken, stirring pastas, slicing meat, and being rude to customers if they ask for it.

No shame in it: I get to throw all sorts of shit into the deep frier to see what happens, throw knives into boxes, flood the sinks -- general mayhem, in other words.

Fortunately (women don't really feel the deli worker lifestyle) and unfortunately (I'll miss acting like a kid), I begin student teaching this spring at one of the local high schools, so my hours in the deli will be cut down.

$8 an hour and still lovin' it.

• I work with disabled people...cutting checks, vocational rehab, and all that entails. Very sad at times, but very fulfulling for me. I don't have to take my work home and at the end of the day I usually feel like I've done a small amount of good. The pay's ok so I'm thinking of going tback to school next fall for a more advanced degree so I can do a little more good.

*hijack* On a daily basis I get to see the lack of attention that is afforded our soldiers and veterans...and it's bad.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

No shame in it: I get to throw all sorts of shit into the deep frier to see what happens, throw knives into boxes, flood the sinks -- general mayhem, in other words.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Pretty much.

• My background is in copywriting--everthing from print ads to web copy and plenty of other stuff. Since August, I've been working as a copywriter/translator (Spanish to English) for a cosmetics/skin care company based in Peru. I now know much more about expression lines and choosing the right foundation than I ever thought I would. It's also kinda cool to finally use my Spanish degree (12 short years after graduation).

I also DJ at clubs, make mixtapes, and write for XLR8R magazine and, on occasion, SF Weekly.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I do film and video work for a big sportscompany that has a swoosh in its logo.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I'm in sales/marketing for a traffic school company (which also does corporate driver training - that's my department). Been here seven years but am trying to make some real world moves as well and get the hell out. I guess we'll just see what happens. Also spin at weddings and private parties cuz the extra doe is nice even though its weddings and private parties...

• being such a snob, i'd never thought i'd be working in reality tv.

i have 2 jobs: one in post production at mtv on a reality tv show, and another in post at a production company that does a gang of reality shows for mtv.

easiest jobs ever (finally.)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    (women don't really feel the deli worker lifestyle)

Maybe you're just not doing it right.

• A lot of my job is assimilation[/b]

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    (women don't really feel the deli worker lifestyle)

Maybe you're just not doing it right.

Partly correct -- the hairnet certainly doesn't help.

• I run a legal forms web site. I am pretty much on my own and do what I want. I only answer to the big boss at the law firm so I don't have to deal with stupid middle management crap. Its a fairly new company, but I actually like my job and get to think as opposed to being an office drone like I used to be. I just got a promotion today so I am now formally an administrator. I also got a fat bonus and a raise. Today is a good day. Holla if you need help with a legal form.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Partly correct -- the hairnet certainly doesn't help.

but I bet you look gangsta

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I just got a promotion today so I am now formally an administrator. I also got a fat bonus and a raise. Today is a good day.

Yo will wake up very soon and you'll realize this was all just a dream.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    As senor Bobo noted many months ago, I oversee the visitors center/office on an Indian reservation. We do hiking tours through Tahquitz Canyon back to a 60ft. waterfall near downtown Palm Springs.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Let's not relive that humiliating occassion: I still feel horribly for it all.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I oversee the visitors center/office on an Indian reservation. We do hiking tours through Tahquitz Canyon back to a 60ft. waterfall near downtown Palm Springs.

that sounds good.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I used to be a layabout record dealer, now I'm studying law.

• I work at TRC record distribution as the hip hop buyer and also handle sales as well. Been here for about 5 looong years

• I used to be a layabout record dealer, now I'm studying law.

cheers to second careers.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Let's not relive that humiliating occassion: I still feel horribly for it all.

It's ancient history, man. No worries.

I oversee the visitors center/office on an Indian reservation. We do hiking tours through Tahquitz Canyon back to a 60ft. waterfall near downtown Palm Springs.

that sounds good.

It is. Small staff that gets along well (for the most part ) and the view from here is unbelievable. I'll post some pics when I get home.