Comton's Most Wanted VS. Slum Village

Comments

• sv gets the duck sick!!!! its a compton thang is classic...the production/engineering was brilliant..i still jock that record.

and to some a lot[/b] people consider Jay-Dee's production and engineering classic as well. Little dudes to Big Dudes.

Young Phonics, you seem to be struggling with the concept of "a lot"

Maybe I can help: "a lot" does not = several dozen mindless sycophants that post on www.okayplayer.com who think that ?uestlove will take a personal interest in them if they conspicuously jock his boy.

D:

When I said a lot of "liitle dudes to big dudes" I meant everyone from okay player sycophants , to people with actual tastes all the way to some of the biggest producers (inside and outside the real of hip-hop music) have all sweated/copied Jay Dee's style. I know Kanye (Scratch Interview) and Jake One have given dude props on his production and I'm pretty sure a lot of other dudes you wish you could spend quality time would say the same.

[archaic] I think he's been on the most influential people in hip-hop/soul/whatever music in past decade or so [/archaic]

My whole point isn't to convert you because I could care less, but damn man...you just can't deny dude his props and place in music.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    sv gets the duck sick!!!! its a compton thang is classic...the production/engineering was brilliant..i still jock that record.

and to some a lot[/b] people consider Jay-Dee's production and engineering classic as well. Little dudes to Big Dudes.

Maybe I can help: "a lot" does not = several dozen mindless sycophants that post on www.okayplayer.com who think that ?uestlove will take a personal interest in them if they conspicuously jock his boy.

D:

When I said a lot of "liitle dudes to big dudes" I meant everyone from okay player sycophants , to people with actual tastes all the way to some of the biggest producers (inside and outside the real of hip-hop music) have all sweated/copied Jay Dee's style. I know Kanye (Scratch Interview) and Jake One have given dude props on his production and I'm pretty sure a lot of other dudes you wish you could spend quality time would say the same.

[archaic] I think he's been on the most influential people in hip-hop/soul/whatever music in past decade or so [/archaic]

My whole point isn't to convert you because I could care less, but damn man...you just can't deny dude his props and place in music.

There is a reason for Jaydee being considered one of the best by his producer peers. They know what it takes to do what he does. So I really can't understand the hate.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Slum Village. V2 is just too damn good not to give it to them. I guess if you look at Slum V as a whole, they are okay. And when Dilla cut, well we know what happend. I can't give away my Trinity CD for a dollar. So just alone on that one lp, I think they changed the face of hip hop for sure. When you got every producer saying Jay Dee as a fav... you know something is up. But Dilla isn't SV.

On a side note, I think it is weak for them to kick Baatin the SlumLord out of the group and all, for whatever excuse they gave. Dude still makes music and does shows, but isn't down with SV? Says something.

• sv gets the duck sick!!!! its a compton thang is classic...the production/engineering was brilliant..i still jock that record.

and to some a lot people consider Jay-Dee's production and engineering classic as well. Little dudes to Big Dudes.

We can compare some shit like Above The Law to CMW...

yeah

ABOVE THE LAW vs CMW

DISCUSS
    i agree with that....i should'nt have dissed..i just thought it was a good excuse to quote a cmw song title..i've never heard a slum album so i have no basis....i'm just a really big fan of a compton thing, never really gets its shine when people talk about classics from that era...imo...above the law had some great beats too..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    sv gets the duck sick!!!! its a compton thang is classic...the production/engineering was brilliant..i still jock that record.

D:

Oh, but I can. He's been responsible for some moderately interesting productions, but when we talk about the larger landscape of rap music, dude is nothing more than a footnote.

And a PSA: everybody please drop these "Well, the artist you like actually likes the artist that I like, so you should like him too" lines of argument. It's ridiculous. Jay-Z is apparently a fan of Linkin' Park and Phish--does it follow that all of us who appreciate Jay's music should also embrace these artists?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

D:

Oh, but I can. He's been responsible for some moderately interesting productions, but when we talk about the larger landscape of rap music, dude is nothing more than a footnote.

And a PSA: everybody please drop these "Well, the artist you like actually likes the artist that I like, so you should like him too" lines of argument. It's ridiculous. Jay-Z is apparently a fan of Linkin' Park and Phish--does it follow that all of us who appreciate Jay's music should also embrace these artists?
    But Jay-Z isn't influenced by those artists. If I liked 9th Wonder and he says he changed the way he flipped drums after listening to Dilla's beats, it's different. I'd be more likely to see what the hell is up with this guy Dilla he's talking about, if I didn't know who it was. There is a greater chance I'll be into the shit also.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i've never met anybody in the real world who likes jay dee.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Are you SERIOUS?! You met some funny people then hommie. Jay Dee is one of the best hip-hop producers of all time. period.

Basically. It's funny how when people want to prove that jay dee is a dope producer they use other producer's opinion of him. How many of these same (or more) producers would validate say Mannie Fresh or say Dj Quik as even doper producers?

D:

But Jay-Z isn't influenced by those artists. If I liked 9th Wonder and he says he changed the way he flipped drums after listening to Dilla's beats, it's different. I'd be more likely to see what the hell is up with this guy Dilla he's talking about, if I didn't know who it was. There is a greater chance I'll be into the shit also.

Jay has performed or recorded with both of those artists.

And a cosign from a fanboy producer like 9th Wonder is not exactly impressive to me.

Are you SERIOUS?! You met some funny people then hommie. Jay Dee is one of the best hip-hop producers of all time. period.

Wow, I would say that you have met some even funnier people then.

Basically. It's funny how when people want to prove that jay dee is a dope producer they use other producer's opinion of him. How many of these same (or more) producers would validate say Mannie Fresh or say Dj Quik as even doper producers?

Their fallback claim is always "Well, I guess you have to be a producer to appreciate Jaydee," which is a patently ridiculous argument for his merit. It's like saying that you have to play guitar to appreciate Hendrix; yes, some actual experience with the instrument might help you more fully appreciate the subtleties of what Hendrix did, but the schitt still sounds good to people that have never plucked a string in their life.

Get your coffee shop and poetry slam attendence game up, player.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Their fallback claim is always "Well, I guess you have to be a producer to appreciate Jaydee," which is a patently ridiculous argument for his merit. It's like saying that you have to play guitar to appreciate Hendrix; yes, some actual experience with the instrument might help you more fully appreciate the subtleties of what Hendrix did, but the schitt still sounds good to people that have never plucked a string in their life.
    The same goes for Dilla... but it's all opinions, right?

[not trying to taunt] Try coming to Detroit and saying that stuff man. It'd be like the scene in the Scary Movie sequel with the 8 Mile spoof.

All I know is that certain labels won't even mess with Detroit artists if they aren't produced by Dilla or they can't get a Dilla beat. I don't know what it is, but dude sells records. Hate him or love him... he's getting his.

[not trying to taunt] Try coming to Detroit and saying that stuff man. It'd be like the scene in the Scary Movie sequel with the 8 Mile spoof.

All I know is that certain labels won't even mess with Detroit artists if they aren't produced by Dilla or they can't get a Dilla beat. I don't know what it is, but dude sells records. Hate him or love him... he's getting his.

No, actually, he does not sell records.

Are you fanboys that divorced from reality?

He's placed beats on a few major albums, but the people buying a Busta Rhymes album because of Jaydee's presence only account for a miniscule portion of Busta's sales.

And as for the Hendrix analogy, you seem to have missed the point entirely; whereas Jimi's music still sounds compelling to people that don't play guitar, Jaydee's productions just sound boring to... well, pretty much everyone.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Well, I've met Young Phonics.

Seriously, there's probably something to appreciate about Dilla sonically, but aside from the stuff he did on Stakes Is High and Labcabincalifornia, I find him to be irredeemably boring.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

No, actually, he does not sell records.

Are you fanboys that divorced from reality?

He's placed beats on a few major albums, but the people buying a Busta Rhymes album because of Jaydee's presence only account for a miniscule portion of Busta's sales.

And as for the Hendrix analogy, you seem to have missed the point entirely; whereas Jimi's music still sounds compelling to people that don't play guitar, Jaydee's productions just sound boring to... well, pretty much everyone.
    And for that, you sir are a dick. You're a funny guy though.

When I talk about record sales, I'm talking about indie releases. I've heard what cats that have shopped records from around my way were told. "Oh, you got that Detroit sound, is Dilla on it? Oh no? We can't fuck with it."

I'll be that fanboy, if we're talking Dilla. Dude is like a hero around where I'm from.

I mean, the only folks from Detroit (non-Em-related) that are getting any love anywhere outside the city are the associates of Jay Dee. That don't say much... but Big Tone, Lawless Element and Platinum Pied Pipers - all work with Dilla. PPP are the only ones with critical acclaim, but still... it shows his influence.

Well, I've met Young Phonics.

Oh damn, I've met Young Cuffee Shoppe too, so I guess I can no longer make this claim.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Jay dee gets love in some circles in Montreal, but this is a kinda wack town for rap.

• "Hey homie, you need some help?"

Inland Empire Represent!

Jay dee gets love in some circles in Montreal, but this is a kinda wack town for rap.

There's a statue of Jay Dee in Austin, Tx somewhere. Don't feel bad. Living Legends and Project Blowed share museum space there too. Great place for hip hop tourists.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

There's a statue of Jay Dee in Austin, Tx somewhere. Don't feel bad. Living Legends and Project Blowed share museum space there too. Great place for hip hop tourists.

If Archaic was curator of that museum, that would be cool.

• i've never met anybody in the real world who likes jay dee.

Well the thing I would have to bring up is that Jay Dee is a dope beat maker. He has a lot of range, and the way he chops, layers, filters base lines and puts things together is next level. But I think also as far as producing albums; DJ Unknown, DJ Slip, MC Eiht, Chill and Mike T were an ill as fuck as a team. The CMW albums had a feeling of an album not just a collection of songs. "Music to Drive By" is just the kinda of album that you would listen to if you were rollin around with your crew lookin to do some dirt, so the album theme is def there.
    But personally I just like the CMW albums better then the Slum Village albums. I think this has to do with the emotion I feel when I listen. From my point of veiw, not to get caught up in the technical side and make this a who is proficently more skilled on a sampler(just cause something is technically hard or complex doesn't mean it's going to evoke an emotional responce) I would say that Jay Dee's music(not sayin every song) has a feeling to me that is real laid back and chill, and there is nothing wrong with that. CMW music on the other hand to me has a feeling that is sinister, agressive, intense, and live(MC's trading back and forth verses and Mike T cuttin it up just something you hear that brings life to the track). I personally don't always want my Hip-Hop to sound clean and produced like an R&B track, I like it nasty, dirty, ruff, funky, and grimy. Also the intensity has got to be there, like we are gonna throw done right this minute and battle. The CMW albums came from a time period were Hip-Hop was Hip-Hop so you can here that in those albums.
    Comparing the two is like apples to oranges. But they are both part of hip-hop(and that used to mean something in regards to skills, originality, show"n"prove and what not, regardless where you were from) so fuck it.
    I hope this explains why my vote is CMW.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

I could have sworn it was a Hiero statue...Opio looks quite nice bronzed.

but yet you're sweating SA-RA? those dudes don't even have records...and the tracks they do have are pretty boring on some "HEY LET'S BE FUTURISTIC AND SING LIKE GEORGE CLINTON". I mean without Dilla there woudn't be SA-RA.

but yet you're sweating SA-RA? those dudes don't even have records...and the tracks they do have are pretty boring on some "HEY LET'S BE FUTURISTIC AND SING LIKE GEORGE CLINTON". I mean without Dilla there woudn't be SA-RA.

Let's rephrase that. Sweating? no no, never that. Actually, I'm more disappointed by those dudes than enamored with them. I think I said that I like some of their stuff. I'm fully aware that the MAJORITY of Sa-Ra's production is blah (for example, EVERYTHING that they make that sounds like Jay Dee) at best, BUT I think when they make their brand of high bpm "modern soul"-ish shit they do that better than anyone.

The tracks that I meant to forward to Aser were all on that tip. I'm definitely not feeling their "jay dee tributes".

And to the fact that they do not have records out, I addressed that as well. Most of the shit I bang from them is completely unreleased. period. I doubt that these types of tracks will ever be released because of cats looking out more for the bland ass Jay dee shits than something with actual soul to it.

Let's rephrase that. Sweating? no no, never that. Actually, I'm more disappointed by those dudes than enamored with them. I think I said that I like some of their stuff. I'm fully aware that the MAJORITY of Sa-Ra's production is blah (for example, EVERYTHING that they make that sounds like Jay Dee) at best, BUT I think when they make their brand of high bpm "modern soul"-ish shit they do that better than anyone.

The tracks that I meant to forward to Aser were all on that tip. I'm definitely not feeling their "jay dee tributes".

And to the fact that they do not have records out, I addressed that as well. Most of the shit I bang from them is completely unreleased. period. I doubt that these types of tracks will ever be released because of cats looking out more for the bland ass Jay dee shits than something with actual soul to it.

sweating= anxiously spreading the SA-RA gospel by forwarding tracks to fellow Strutters

I wonder if Taz where his 9 belts to the corner store.

sweating= anxiously spreading the SA-RA gospel by forwarding tracks to fellow Strutters

do NOT forget that highly suspect Fendi scarf.

do NOT forget that highly suspect Fendi scarf.

witness the fit[/b]ness