Best of Rawkus - Hatters Load Your Clips

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    do you mean the Brick City Kids 12''?

i love that record

REGIONAL BIAS

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    correct technique is raw!
    7xl with grand puba and sadat X is raw too.

really one of my favorite songs EVAR.

C'mon guys, seriously--I like Black Attack's first 12" on Correct Records (can't remember what it was called), but this record is just boring.

I meant 7XL.

C'mon guys, seriously--I like Black Attack's first 12" on Correct Records (can't remember what it was called), but this record is just boring.

Verbal Attack feat Problems?

Verbal Attack feat Problems?

I think that's what it was called... definitely featured Problems.

• a "best of" without company flow makes no sense. co-flow was a reason for rawkus sucess, if not THE reason...

I agree.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    best of rawkus is called soundbombing 1 & 2

not again

huh?

• this list looks good I think, at least there's no Shabam Saadiq.

01. Talib Kweli - Get By - ehh

02. Mos Def - Ms. Fat Booty - good

03. Black Star - Respiration - great

04. Pharoahe Monch - The Life - yay

05. Pharoahe Monch - Oh No - loves it

06. Hi-Tek - The Blast - dope

07. Black Star - Definition - nice

08. Mos Def - Beef- I forget

09. Big L - Flamboyant - yay

10. Mos Def - Universal Magnetic - great

11. Mos Def - UMI Says - Nike

12. Common - 1999 - ok

13. Hi-Tek - The Sun God - dunno

14. Mos Def - Body Rock - eh

15. The High And Mighty - B-Boy Document '99 - DOPE!

I actually liked several of Shabaams' singles...5 Star Generals was really dope even though he was the third best MC on the track (Eminem & AL killed it)...DJ Spinna gave him some dope beats.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    a "best of" without company flow makes no sense. co-flow was a reason for rawkus sucess, if not THE reason...

I agree.

I don't understand this mode of thinking. Now I don't have sales figures, but I'm thinking that CoFlow wasn't even top 5 in Rawkus sales (maybe not even top 7 or 8). I have more respect for El-P than most on this board, but dammit, they were and always will be a niche market[/b].

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    El-P will rerelease the co flow stuff so i thjink he bought off the rights so its not on the comp

• a "best of" without company flow makes no sense. co-flow was a reason for rawkus sucess, if not THE reason...

I agree.

I don't understand this mode of thinking. Now I don't have sales figures, but I'm thinking that CoFlow wasn't even top 5 in Rawkus sales (maybe not even top 7 or 8). I have more respect for El-P than most on this board, but dammit, they were and always will be a niche market[/b].

Rawkus was, quite simply, a different label before and after CoFlow. I think this is significant enough to merit them inclusion on any best of.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What exactly is the point of a "best of"? Is it purely sales figures? If any of you were asked to compile a "best of" for a label (in any genre), would you strictly stick with what sold?

Yeah, exactly, I think not.

I think this Rawkus comp features some legitimately good songs - most of you hatters shitting on the ENTIRE tracklisting are just embarassed to admit you bumped this shit back in 98 but now you're fronting so you don't seem poptart soft.

That said, a "real" best of Rawkus comp would definitely have to include Co Flow, "Simon Says," and yeah, R.A. the Rugged Man. Not because folks like Co or R.A. appealed to EVERYONE but because they helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation. That's all there is to it.

Not because folks like Co or R.A.[/b] appealed to white people[/b] but because they helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation with white people[/b]. That's all there is to it.

I agree.

That said, a "real" best of Rawkus comp would definitely have to include Co Flow, "Simon Says," and yeah, R.A. the Rugged Man. Not because folks like Co or R.A. appealed to EVERYONE but because they helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation. That's all there is to it.

You can't fit "everyone" within the space of a single CD, and I don't think that RA the Rugged Man was among the acts that "helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation"--most of the people I knew in 1997 that were enthusiastic about Funcrusher Plus, "Universal Magnetic" and "Fortified Live" (including, to a degree, myself) absolutely hated that RA the Rugged Man 12".

My friend stopped at my apartment on his way from buying a bunch of 12"s at EarWax that included that one and, upon actually listening to it, promptly "forgot" it at my place. Needless to say, I made a big point of returning it to him.

• this list looks good I think, at least there's no Shabam Saadiq.

I was in the studio with Shabaam a few weeks ago, he just got outta jail. he sounded dope. I thought he was cool back in Rawkus times, but he sounds better now than he ever did. dude is definitely not bad. dont hate!!

• El-P will rerelease the co flow stuff so i thjink he bought off the rights so its not on the comp

from what i understand, co-flow had some sort of contractual agreement where rawkus owned the rights to funcrusher for like 5 years and just now did that contract end, which is why coflow has the rights to the album again.

dunno if it has anything to do with industry rule 4080 but rawkus bumped my headphones back in the day. if anything you can sell your old 12inches on ebay to cats in japan for major duckets.

-richard

if anything you can sell your old 12inches on ebay to cats in japan for major duckets.

-richard

Rawkus deadstock gold[/b]. I disagree with that assessment though. Rawkus shit can still be found in some stores. A good portion of it was printed in huge numbers (relatively). A few years back, these would go for some $. If you have an eBizzle link that proves me wrong, I wanna see it. I'm willing to dump every single Rawkus related record that I own if I can get anything out of it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Not because folks like Co or R.A.[/b] appealed to white people[/b] but because they helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation with white people[/b]. That's all there is to it.

I agree.

oh god, here comes that same song and dance "It takes a white person to appeal to a white person" bullshit again. If you don't think Mos Def and Talib Kweli were apealing to white folks than you probably never went to their shows, bought their records, orgot into a conversation about "underground" hip-hop. Either that or, like I said earlier, you're smoking crack

• correct technique is raw!
    Hi-Tek Sun God

definetly, especially the first one. "Correct Technique" is a lush rosebush in my mind garden and you could even get away playing "Sun God" in the club (fuck it...i'mma play it this weekend...)

• Not because folks like Co or R.A.[/b] appealed to white people[/b] but because they helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation with white people[/b]. That's all there is to it.

I agree.

oh god, here comes that same song and dance "It takes a white person to appeal to a white person" bullshit again. If you don't think Mos Def and Talib Kweli were apealing to white folks than you probably never went to their shows, bought their records, orgot into a conversation about "underground" hip-hop. Either that or, like I said earlier, you're smoking crack

Adam, you're misunderstanding it - these artists didn't come out all at the same time, Co Flow made it possible for those other records to come out. I think them being white definitely factored into it.

I agree.

don't be booty hurt holmes, it's

You're overly sensitive, either pull the skirt down or your panties up.

I never even said that. In fact, I know that ALL Rawkus shit was more or else aimed at white audiences. I'm specifically talking about Coflo and RA being almost completely targeted towards whites.

• Not because folks like Co or R.A.[/b] appealed to white people[/b] but because they helped give Rawkus an identity and reputation with white people[/b]. That's all there is to it.

I agree.

Adam, you're misunderstanding it - these artists didn't come out all at the same time, Co Flow made it possible for those other records to come out. I think them being white definitely factored into it.

that and wheren't they the "godfathers of molecule rap"?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I agree.

oh no I get that, and I understand that Co-flow came first on the time line and most definitly financially paved the way for Mos Def and others to come out, but I don't thnk of them as the symbol of Rawkus.

IMO white people dug rawkus for the same reason they dig De La and ATCQ a lot of the music was coffeeshop ready and there wasn't much talk about packing pistols, and even if there was it was more introspective than your average "gangsta" rap track.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• as far as i know the main rawkus record that still pulls some $$$ is the blackstar lp. the japanese like the simon says 12in a lot, promo or p/c. and i bet internal affairs does pretty decent. aside from those i would be surprised if anything else from the catalog gets you more than 10 bucks these days. i still got a bunch of sealed/mint rawkus shit to unload myself.

as far as i know the main rawkus record that still pulls some $$$ is the blackstar lp. the japanese like the simon says 12in a lot, promo or p/c. and i bet internal affairs does pretty decent. aside from those i would be surprised if anything else from the catalog gets you more than 10 bucks these days. i still got a bunch of sealed/mint rawkus shit to unload myself.

Yeah man, I'm saying.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'm specifically talking about Coflo and RA being almost completely targeted towards whites.

Why did i care then? i'm not white.Everyone knew him from the BIGGIE song,and saw his potential.

I'm specifically talking about Coflo and RA being almost completely targeted towards whites.

Why did i care then?

Your answer might be found here:

"crabflaretripleclicktear"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Why did i care then? i'm not white.Everyone knew him from the BIGGIE song,and saw his potential.

Sorry Magnetic the board has spoken. You automatically become white when you like a white rapper on Rawkus.

as far as i know the main rawkus record that still pulls some $$$ is the blackstar lp. the japanese like the simon says 12in a lot, promo or p/c. and i bet internal affairs does pretty decent. aside from those i would be surprised if anything else from the catalog gets you more than 10 bucks these days. i still got a bunch of sealed/mint rawkus shit to unload myself.

Yeah man, I'm saying.

In New York, you really can't even give most Rawkus schitt away; all the shops are clogged with it because so many people of the people that bought it eventually realized it just wasn't very good.

Sorry Magnetic the board has spoken. You automatically become white when you like a white rapper on Rawkus.

So you guys are saying that it's impossible to target music to a specific demographic?

Are you black because you like modern soul now?

I don't get it.