Best of Rawkus - Hatters Load Your Clips

1235»

Comments

• All the greats in my eyes have worked with RA

This is a hip-hop quotable right here!

yeah, that's some funny shit. but seriously, I find it very hard to believe that some of the people shitting on R.A. in this thread have heard enough of his back catalog (Night of the Bloody Apes) or his newer material (Die, Rugged Man, Die) to pass judgement. I have no problem saying he is without a doubt the most underrated emcee in hip hop history, white or black. "Every record label sucks dick" prod. by Buckwild is another shining example. He's recorded with some of the most talented/ respected hip hop prodcuers and emcees EVER, and I never have heard him sonned by a guest rapper or outdone by a producers beat, which says alot when that list includes names like Tragedy and Eric Sermon. I can understand how he might not be your cup of tea, but hip hop talent at that level is undeniable.

• After handing zeros to E-40 and sp!ce 1

BIG doesn't know shit about rap music. E-40 was/is fatter than him in all respects.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    or his newer material (Die, Rugged Man, Die) to pass judgement.

This would be the album that Guzzo pitched to us as "brimming with '98 style lyricism!"....

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    All the greats in my eyes have worked with RA

This is a hip-hop quotable right here!

yeah, that's some funny shit. but seriously, I find it very hard to believe that some of the people shitting on R.A. in this thread have heard enough of his back catalog (Night of the Bloody Apes) or his newer material (Die, Rugged Man, Die) to pass judgement. I have no problem saying he is without a doubt the most underrated emcee in hip hop history, white or black. "Every record label sucks dick" prod. by Buckwild is another shining example. He's recorded with some of the most talented/ respected hip hop prodcuers and emcees EVER, and I never have heard him sonned by a guest rapper or outdone by a producers beat, which says alot when that list includes names like Tragedy and Eric Sermon. I can understand how he might not be your cup of tea, but hip hop talent at that level is undeniable.

doneiver
    dollarbincommon

Reged: 11/24/05
    Loc: BK, NY

Re: New to Soulstrut (introduction) [Re: cHiller]
    #525158 - 12/06/05 11:49 AM

Shameless promotion:
    www.nature-sounds.net

some of our higher profile releases included[/b] Masta Killa of the Wu-Tang Clan's solo debut "No Said Date", R.A. the RUGGED MAN "Die, RUGGED MAN, Die"[/b], Best of KMD, a couple of the DOOM special herbs (vol. 4 and 5&6), Mathematics "the problem", Black Market Militia (Tragedy Khadafi and Killah Priest Collabo). In 2006 we're doing the Ghostface/ DOOM collabo, a new Pete Rock album, Strong Arm Steady Gang (Xzibit and Co.), Ayatollah Instrumental record "now playing", and a Tragedy/ Raekwon record. We've also released some dub/reggae stuff from Augustus Pablo, Chinna Smith, King Tubby, and have a new project coming out in 06 by the Scientist. Busy year it will be.
    w-

Speaking purely for aesthetics, Company Flow also made the label's transition from putting out Scorn records to putting out club bangers for guzzo's private mind garden a more fluid one.

I need Plur to speak on the Rawkus adventure into jump-up jungle

"Not for the one-dimensional DJ!"

• And what about Ra The Rugged Man? this comp isnt complete without him.

I don't think even the Rawkus collect-'em-all obsessives f**ked with that record.
    Get half a page in The Source maybe, if that.

That comp is definitely incomplete without R.A. the Rugged Man. Anyone who disagrees is plain wrong. I am partial, but on Stanley Kubrick, R.A. had one of the illest flows that rawkus ever saw on any of their releases. On the Block (Golden Era) from soundbombing fame is also one of if not the greatest hip hop tribute songs ever recorded. Isn't that why Bob ended his show with it?

as for the rest, very few Rawkus releases will stand the test of time past Blackstar and P. Monch, but R.A. is a no brainer.

as I stated previously, yes, I am partial. The guy is talented and this is my pathetic attempt at a 4th quarter push to sell through some back catalog. happy holidays.

• I'm suprised no one has put on their Top-Hatts to talk about Rawkus signing The Procussions*

i'm 100% sure that Faux is already hatting dudes by the name alone

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    god the jungle they did was shit.. the dj hype remix of 'oh no' was a fucking breaks tune..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

This would be the album that Guzzo pitched to us as "brimming with '98 style lyricism!"....

thats the one. Something tells me that in your own lovable way youre hatting more on the guys skin tone than his lyrical ability/delivery.

would it really be too much of an assumption to say that you enjoy music more with your eyes than with your ears?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Wow. Do the links flash on and off like they did in 1998? I'm not clicking on that link.

And hey - like I said - I can appreciate El-P's original brand of work - especially the earlier DefJux stuff. But a "best of" album is not meant to actually be some artistic documentary into the soul of an artist or label - it's "The Hits, In One Place, For Sale." Best Of albums are all whore, no chore.
    Sure: stick End To End Burners on as a "hidden" track, and it'll be fine. But tha game is meant to be...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    From what I read about the 40/Biggie thing, Biggie dissed 40's music, Biggie later went to Cali for some press shit or whatever, 40's crew rolled up on him and handed him a cell phone with 40 on it. Biggie said he still wasn't feeling his shit but they came to an understanding cos they really are pretty much the same.

thats the one. Something tells me that in your own lovable way youre hatting more on the guys skin tone than his lyrical ability/delivery.

I'm not hatting on RA the Rugged Man at all, Adam--I'm hatting on you; get your reading comprehension game up.

• cos they really are pretty much the same.

crazy talk. 40 eats Big (figuratively and literally).

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cos they really are pretty much the same.

crazy talk. 40 eats Big (figuratively and literally).
    sorry, i meant personality-wise

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Big L "Holding Me Down" was dope. And Ebonics too.

"Ebonics" wasn't really a Rawkus release, though... it came out on Flamboyant before Rawkus's posthumous affiliation with him.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

"Ebonics" wasn't really a Rawkus release, though... it came out on Flamboyant before Rawkus's posthumous affiliation with him.

"holdin me down" was dope just cuz AG says "I put my nutsack back where her lungs at."