L.A. Riots Part II?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
Tookie's bid for clemency got rejected. Discuss.

Comments

• Why would this spur a riot?

• Why would this spur a riot?

There have been "threats" of violence if he is not given clemency.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Desperate attempt by Arnie to curry favor with the rightwingers?

No great surprise, but it's bullshit.

• Not a surprise when you consider that Arnold was being accused by Republicans of siding to much with "liberals". Sad that even a man's life is up for politcal statements.

I don't think there will be rioting cause the alleged crimes took place so long ago, whereas when people got really heated during the riots it was cause of crimes EVERYONE saw with the verdict proving injustices that had become de facto.

There used to be protests and moral outrage over this type of "justice". Now Snoop wears a shirt and that's how many know about this case. Complacency. . .

• this is fucked

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    this is fucked

I shouldn't be surprised but really thought Arnold was going to do it. Guess it was just posturing.

• that sucks, Tookie seems like he really turned himself around.

but... you really can't blame the Governator though, because even Clinton rejected clemencys as a governor. since the 1970's, governors will only allow clemency if there was foul play in the trial, tampering with evidence, etc.

a few exceptions were Illinois and Ohio (I think) where outgoing governors gave clemency to everyone on death row b/c they were against the death penalty on principle

• With the LAPD history it's amazing that any death penalty case of the era stand. I'm sickened and I don't even know how to express my outrage right now. I want to go out on the street and yell. I've been against capital punishment my whole life. It's obviously not a deterrent.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Last week there was a party in San Bernardino with over 300 people. A man who was there took a 4 year old girl to an alley nearby. They found her bloodied and bruised. He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

The death penalty is a hard topic to discuss because despite the fact that killing is wrong and the justice system is flawed, some motherfuckers deserve to die.

I don't think Tookie should die personally, but then again, he did'nt kill my grandparents.

Who deserves to live or die for their crimes and what crimes deserve the death penalty?
    Like I said, it's a touchy subject.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've been against capital punishment my whole life.

• Last week there was a party in San Bernardino with over 300 people. A man who was there took a 4 year old girl to an alley nearby. They found her bloodied and bruised. He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

The death penalty is a hard topic to discuss because despite the fact that killing is wrong and the justice system is flawed, some motherfuckers deserve to die.

I don't think Tookie should die personally, but then again, he did'nt kill my grandparents.

Who deserves to live or die for their crimes and what crimes deserve the death penalty?
    Like I said, it's a touchy subject.

I agree that some people, maybe even Tookie deserve, or at least deserved to die. But they can live in prison. Death is an easy way out. My biggest problem with the death penalty is the state can't be trusted not to kill innocent people. The system is faulty.

And if we are going to "murder" murderers, at least do it swiftly. Not a 2 generations later. It's wrong on so many levels.

And about the girl, that is disgusting and very sad. My heart goes out to her.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Last week there was a party in San Bernardino with over 300 people. A man who was there took a 4 year old girl to an alley nearby. They found her bloodied and bruised. He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

That is horrible.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I've been against capital punishment my whole life.

me too...

and I also think everyone's death row sentences should be commuted to life without parole.

But listening to people talk about what a great guy a career criminal is while practically ignoring his crimes is getting pretty old. I understand that Tookie claims his innocence and all, but his case was pretty solidly tried from all I have read and watched.It's an old cliche, but practically EVERYONE in prison claims they were innocent. This is NOT a Mumia case or something similarly overtly [/b]political(like Geronimo Pratt or Leonard Peltier).

I applaud dude's moves to direct kids away from the folly of gang life and a career of crime, but some people are being led to believe that he is wrongly imprisoned, and this perspective is just plain untrue. And while I agree his sentence should be commuted, to me the real story is the injustice of the Death Penalty, not the injustice of Stanley Williams' being in prison.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    the real story is the injustice of the Death Penalty, not the injustice of Stanley Williams' being in prison.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'm not against capital punishment because I'm pro abortion. Nuff said. Plus some people need to die if they are cold blooded killers.

• I'm not against capital punishment because I'm pro abortion. Nuff said. Plus some people need to die if they are cold blooded killers.

Cold blooded killer

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I guess I am a cold blooded killer. Oh well.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm not against capital punishment because I'm pro abortion. Nuff said. Plus some people need to die if they are cold blooded killers.

Flawed logic.

• I'm not against capital punishment because I'm pro abortion.

Two seperate issues here. Faux, will you hold this guy's hand?

• He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

death is too light a punishment for someone who does that

While the system, I believe, more often than not can determine within a reasonable doubt if someone has killed someone else(and is therefore a 'killer'), I am uncomfortable with the notion of the system being able to reasonably determine if said killer is indeed, 'coldblooded'.

Indeed, it is the very 'hot-blooded' nature of some people's emotional state that creates a lot of unneeded violence and crime. I bet most 'coldblooded' killers aren't even in jail.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

Honestly, I have huge HUGE HUGE[/b] problems with the prison system.

I mean really huge. So when I say this please forgive...

... but for this guy, the treatment he would get if he went to prison would be infinitely worse than if he was executed.

• I bet most 'coldblooded' killers aren't even in jail.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm not against capital punishment because I'm pro abortion. Nuff said.

I think one can be pro-choice and anti-capital punishment without hypocrisy...is human life that cut and dry to you? Not an attack - a serious question.

• He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

Honestly, I have huge HUGE HUGE[/b] problems with the prison system.

I mean really huge. So when I say this please forgive...

... but for this guy, the treatment he would get if he went to prison would be infinitely worse than if he was executed.

you have a point, shits that do things to kids do not have an easy time of it behind bars

He had beaten and raped her.

A FOUR YEAR OLD.

He should die.

People need to realize this kind of thing happens a lot more than they think.
    Is any punishment going to stop horrible crimes from happening? That is the logic of most death penalty proponents, which I feel is disingenuous. I can at least understand the logic of revenge, and extermination of a specific problem. as flawed as it may be. It is more honest than using the Penalty as a preventative measure. It doesn't stop shit.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Last time I checked the score since 1978 was something like this...

Tookie's Crips 1,000+ Murders
    State Of California 10 Executions
    State Of California 13 Death Row Suicides

Tookie turned his life around.....didn't write a book himself but spoke to a writer long enough to get his name on the writing credits.....his new found respect for society is why he made the statement this week asking for people to NOT riot if his sentence was carried out.(You guys read that....right??)

Last "celebrity" Death Row prisoner here in Tejas was Karla Faye Tucker a sweet young CHRISTIAN girl who killed a man with a pick-ax to the head and claimed she had an orgasm while doing it.....the usual suspect Hollywood crowd rallied for her too.....didn't work.....good riddance.

Our country is seriously fucked up when the same people who want a 14 year old girl to be able to get an abortion without her parents knowledge want to save the life of the founder of the most murderous civilian gang of our lifetime.

Wake the hell up!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Last time I checked the score since 1978 was something like this...

Tookie's Crips 1,000+ Murders
    State Of California 10 Executions
    State Of California 13 Death Row Suicides

Tookie turned his life around.....didn't write a book himself but spoke to a writer long enough to get his name on the writing credits.....his new found respect for society is why he made the statement this week asking for people to NOT riot if his sentence was carried out.(You guys read that....right??)

Last "celebrity" Death Row prisoner here in Tejas was Karla Faye Tucker a sweet young CHRISTIAN girl who killed a man with a pick-ax to the head and claimed she had an orgasm while doing it.....the usual suspect Hollywood crowd rallied for her too.....didn't work.....good riddance.

Our country is seriously fucked up when the same people who want a 14 year old girl to be able to get an abortion without her parents knowledge want to save the life of the founder of the most murderous civilian gang of our lifetime.

Wake the hell up!!!

Really not that cut and dry, dog. Not in the least.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I hear you...but at some point, in order to move forward, you have to look at things being black and white.....

Watch this hypocrasy...

How many of you would support giving George W. Bush the Death Penalty??

I'm gonna drink a shot of JD for every yes answer......GO!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm so on the fence with things. For example, anyone in Canada knows all about karla homolka. She took part in the deaths and rape of alot of young gurls (Including her own sister). She got 12 years in a pretty easy and lax prison and she's now out after 12 years. This is very sad to me.