2005 Non Hip-Hop Albums of the Year Thread

Comments

• Am i the only person who dislikes kelly clarkson? Well dislike is a bit strong but i just aint feelin her...
    nope alot of folls hatt on her but her album is still the best album of the year. i really really really dislike coldplay but i cant front their album is good. same thing with kanye i really wanted to hatt on em' but his album is good. peace, stein. . .

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    This one kept me going through the year, I would say the album i listened to the most...nice drum sound, no toms, just plain crash, kick, snare and hihat swamprockfunk...mixed by edwyn collins...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i dont know if it came out last year somewhere else, but it came out in the US in 2005

not according to allmusic homey... but if you wanna get technical the demos were out in like 2003 no??

anyhow if we're giving it honorary 2005 status then add Autolux - Future Perfect to my list too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• This one is a late contender. Been listening to it on repeat for about three days now.

• i used to not like deerhoof not too long ago

but this album is AWESOME!!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dungen album is great but pretty sure it came out last year. Same with Go!Team

So, no love for Fiona Apple then?

I really didn't notice that album came out in 2004. Great release though. I upped fiona apple in my list, but not that mike elizondo crapper.

- spidey

• This is about a month old..

Gris Gris always keeps it real on the modern psych tip. Damn good live too!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my faves --

David Axelrod - capitol 66-70 comp (kind of new--though not really though it is a new release)
    Pissed Jeans --- Shallow (they are a punk rock band from Allentown, Pa. Of the very dirty, sludge variety--think early Flipper, Black Flag, No Trend. Really fun live band and great on record. I think Matador Records has been sweating them recently)
    Caribou - Marino Audio
    Dirty Three - Cinder
    The Evens - s/t

and fave re-issue comp of the year--

Scritti Politti - Early (thier early stuff from the rough trade era. post-punk/dub/funk stuff before they cheesed out. it's excellent)

Really don't think Re-issues should count towards album of the year.

Though this deserves a shout.

- spidey

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Top 5 (in no particular order):[/b]

Afrirampo - Urusa In Japan

Vex'd - Degenerate

Gang Gang Dance - God's Money

Ryan Teague - Six Preludes

Soil & Pimp Sessions - Pimp Master

Others I liked:[/b]

Autechre - Untilted, Es - Sateenkaarisuudelma, Chouzu - s/t (shouts to Rape_Donkeys for this one), Hauschka - Prepared Piano, Islaja - Palaa Aurinkoon, Paavoharju - Yh?? H??m??r????, Marissa Nadler - The Saga of Mayflower May, Jane - Berserker (I only really like that ambient voice jam tho...), and many more...

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts

• 1.Antony and the Johnsons -I Am a Bird Now
    2.Sujan Stevens ??? Illinoise
    3. Blood on the wall ??? Awesomer
    4. Wolf Parade ??? Apologies to Queen mary
    5. Spoon- Gimme Fiction
    6. M.I.A.- Arular
    7. Broken Social Scene
    8. Seu Jorge ??? Cru
    9. Queens of the Stone Age -Lullabies to Paralyze
    10. The Fiery Furnaces- EP
    AND....

GOOD YEAR FOR MUSIC I THINK...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i initally didnt want to check out Arcade Fire because of the hype, but I checked it out and its solid as hell. love it. opposite of

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    here are a few non rap things i heard this year that i really enjoyed:

this thread is overwhelming and reminds me how out of touch i am with "white people" music as of the past few years. could you guys recommend some stuff from this thread in greater detail, bearing i'm really not looking for archtypically pussy emo, shoegazer or hipster post punk retread shit. preferably experimental.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

this thread is overwhelming and reminds me how out of touch i am with "white people" music as of the past few years. could you guys recommend some stuff from this thread in greater detail,[/b] bearing i'm really not looking for archtypically pussy emo, shoegazer or hipster post punk retread shit. preferably experimental.

seriously, its great to see the appreciation for all this non rap game music coming out recently, but i have heard of about %20 of what's mentioned here, and heard only %10. so inspire me. sell that real subarban street schitt.

• bloc party- silent alarm

i've seen belle and sebastian mentioned in some posts off and on, and i dont care if u call it emo, its great sheit to listen to on a lazy sunday, so check some of their albums out. you'l either dig the male singer's voice or hate it, he sounds like a pussy. the chick in the band has a really dope voice and she did/does a solo project called gentle waves, which is worth hearing if just for her voice alone...she sounds like that claudette chick that sang "nothing to lose" in that peter sellers movie about a brown immigrant homie..i think she shot her boyfriend too, hardcore!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i've seen belle and sebastian mentioned in some posts off and on, and i dont care if u call it emo, its great sheit to listen to on a lazy sunday, so check some of their albums out. you'l either dig the male singer's voice or hate it, he sounds like a pussy. the chick in the band has a really dope voice and she did/does a solo project called gentle waves, which is worth hearing if just for her voice alone...she sounds like that claudette chick that sang "nothing to lose" in that peter sellers movie about a brown immigrant homie..i think she shot her boyfriend too, hardcore!

B&S didn't release anything this year tough (did they?)

Stuart Murdoch is seriously one of the most talented cats in music right now, hate the genre, hate the fans but hating on stuart shows pure saltiness

• . the chick in the band has a really dope voice and she did/does a solo project called gentle waves, which is worth hearing if just for her voice alone...

SHE'S GOT A DUETS RECORD COMING OUT WITH MARK LANEGAN.

B&S didn't release anything this year tough (did they?)

Stuart Murdoch is seriously one of the most talented cats in music right now, hate the genre, hate the fans but hating on stuart shows pure saltiness

i dont think they released anything this year, my post was directed towards noz in terms of something he might wanna check out, on the suburb listening tip...if u want a sample, here's my favorite belle and sebastian track, "slow grafitti", off the soundtrack of acid house (dope dope dope movie)

http://s54.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14PPZU7SO8KKL38TD4430683IU

here's a track where u can hear the chick with the sweet vocals, "is it wicked not to care"
    http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0M1I76YLIXID216FNUAQDXRFZJ

...i dont know if my ears are phucked up, but they always reminded me of velvet underground somehow, maybe its cause the dude sounds like nico at times, of all people, but even musically its along the same lines.

again when i think of this music, im reminded of a good quote "its not the band i hate, its the fans"

• i've seen belle and sebastian mentioned in some posts off and on, and i dont care if u call it emo, its great sheit to listen to on a lazy sunday, so check some of their albums out. you'l either dig the male singer's voice or hate it, he sounds like a pussy. the chick in the band has a really dope voice and she did/does a solo project called gentle waves, which is worth hearing if just for her voice alone...she sounds like that claudette chick that sang "nothing to lose" in that peter sellers movie about a brown immigrant homie..i think she shot her boyfriend too, hardcore!

Co-sign... on B&S & Gentlee Waves.
    You might want to check out Aussie group Architecture in Helsinki. You might dig them.

Also check Spanish label's Elefant & Siesta...
    http://www.elefant.com/en/
    http://www.siesta.es/

• Alice Russel - My Favourite Letters: it took me a few listens to get into this one. i wanted that good ol' quantic production asthetic, but tm juke was truly on this one.

QSO - Pushin' On

El Michels Affair - Sounding out the City

Budos Band - s/t

Sharon Jones and the DK's - Naturally

Breakestra - Hit the Floor (i like the O.G.'s even better than their covers)

PPP - Triple P (love the Georgia tracks, of course Timobe, too)

Mark de Clive Lowe - Tide's Arising

Annie - Annimal (mainly for the production)this was only released in Canada this year

Kenny Neal Jr. - The Best of Bounce (T.O. producer / multi-instrumentalist with blues in his blood)

Jaime Lidell - Mulitply

Nobody else into electronic Russian horror surfrock psychobilly freakout?

- spidey

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Jaime Lidell - Mulitply

yeah i should've mentioned that. three thubms up

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

some that weren't mentioned.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    (if it counts)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    hi guys i'm listening to and really enjoying this record right now. . but i don't think too many people here would be into it. peace, noz . . .

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i gotta check that. is it like playthroughs stuff? dude used to have a server dedicated to Old Electronic LPs. I wish it was still around.