SERATO POST

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I have been making all my stuff for a new record and will be assembling the whole thing in Serato. can't do that without presssing up a couple g's in dubplates.

yeah that is something nobody is really talking about and it is one of the reasons i love serato. i have been making so much more music since i got it, becuase of the instant gratification of being able to play it out in the club or put it on a mixtape when it is still brand new and i am not sick of it yet. beats, new tracks, remixes, re-edits, party breaks, scratch sentences, all custom.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

IMHO lots of dudes need to step out of that discussion.

doesn't the H stand for humble?

"Humble" in my world means something different than it does in yours.

hum??ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hmbl)
    adj. hum??bler, hum??blest

1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.

2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.

3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.

Yo Lucille Ball hairdo, I don't go spouting about what I do what I don't do whatever. However in the above case yes I am confident to state that I am a dope DJ, better than many, nowhere near in the realm of many, but dope in my own right for what I do, and I made that declaration to add weight to my arguement about Serato. On the strenght my rep proceeds me, but I don't rest on that. However if you want to pick a bone with me regarding what it do then you're barking up the wrong tree. Jees, I step off of Sulstrut because I'm tired of bullshit and not 12 hours back into it...

IMHO lots of dudes need to step out of that discussion.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

I think your name fits you Iverson. Or maybe you should change your name to T.O. Pride and arrogence is

Planet, You need to learn somemuthafuckin manners. Do you really have any idea who AI is?

• I guess this goes for all the dudes that have records out:

What do you think about deejays just dl'ing your shit? Like let's say a noticeable amount of dj dudes downloaded the rub ep? (I use the Rub EP because that is probally a record only a working dj would buy, rather than a "regular" album that non-deejay dudes would cop) Would you care and just be glad folks are spinning you're stuff? or pissed that no ones buying the vinyl and units aren't moving?

I'm asking because this is my only concern with Serato, small/up and coming vinyl dudes losing paper/not making any.

DISCUSS

P.S. I think I'm one of the better deejays on this site as well

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It's all song selection when it comes down to it whether you rock vinyl, CDJs, cassette, 8 tracks. I will admit that vinyl sounds so much better than MP3s. As a one time a year DJ... I will rock the vinyl, but if I was going over to Germany 3 xs a year... serato it is... fuck sound quality!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Adios, Soulstrut.

"Come back....come back"

• Planet, having "weapons" in your crate means NOTHING. Knowing WHAT TO DO with those "weapons" is what being a good DJ is all about. PERIOD. Any DJ that doesn't understand this is a shit DJ.

Like urrrs says ...

i have been making so much more music since i got it, becuase of the instant gratification of being able to play it out in the club or put it on a mixtape when it is still brand new and i am not sick of it yet. beats, new tracks, remixes, re-edits, party breaks, scratch sentences, all custom.

THIS is what I was talking about. This is the kind of thinking that's gonna separate the wheat from the chaffe in this DJing shit. And trust me, that's still only a part of it. It's not just about what mp3s a DJ has on his or her hard drive or what records he or she has in her crates. Because of Serato and it's ilk, DJs are gonna have to do MORE, and this gives the creative and talented people MORE options and MORE tools. That's the whole point.

The hatters are lazy.

I love Serato. If I had a real reason to I would buy it.

I dont give a shit what anyone rocks as long as they fuckin rock it!

Unless---The night is billed as some rare funk night and there is a bunch of newjacks rockin shit they downloaded then I wouldnt be too happy but as long as they rocked it i wouldnt hate that much.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    What do you think about deejays just dl'ing your shit?

Young Phonics on the production credit = DL and no purchase.

I keed, I keed.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    WOW!!!!

Look at THIS FUCKING SHIT! Straight offa Planet's blog:

"It's been a little while since I've come across a stack of vinyl this good, and priced so low that you'd have to be retarded to pass these up. Last night, after sifting through some ok promos, I came across a stash of sealed Rawkus[/b] releases-all original in fact sitting in the used Hiphop section of a local store. "

Little tiny miniscule dude alert!!!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    "It's been a little while since I've come across a stack of vinyl this good, and priced so low that you'd have to be retarded to pass these up. Last night, after sifting through some ok promos, I came across a stash of sealed Rawkus[/b] releases-all original in fact sitting in the used Hiphop section of a local store. "

hahahahahaha

but dude. SEALED RAWKUS!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    If I was a DJ who played out all the time, I never would stop using Serato. The days of getting crates or records stolen or damaged (From the club/car/airline) could be a thing of the past. I think the whole DJ/Collectro deal will separate. The old business model of selling records and promoting them will/is changing. Let???s get real, nobody???s been making money off new vinyl record sales for the last 20 years. I think in the future all non-tangible music items will be used as strictly a promoting function. Where money will be made from things like licensing, concerts/gigs, merchandise, etc.

Anyone that hates on a DJ for using it could be the ones getting left behind.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

Didn't planet mention on some recent topic that he was known as a dj and ask some one to pm him for his dj name to prove it? Who is he?

There are maybe 3-5 people on this board that could think about steppping to AI as a dj and none of them would do it. Unless I am mistaken, I doubt Planet remotely is close to his/their league. I know I'm not.

I've never used it, but Serato is a perfectly fine look. It can not make a dj.

• If I was a DJ who played out all the time, I never would stop using Serato. The days of getting crates or records stolen or damaged (From the club/car/airline) could be a thing of the past. I think the whole DJ/Collectro deal will separate. The old business model of selling records and promoting them will/is changing. Let???s get real, nobody???s been making money off new vinyl record sales for the last 20 years. I think in the future all non-tangible music items will be used as strictly a promoting function. Where money will be made from things like licensing, concerts/gigs, merchandise, etc.

Anyone that hates on a DJ for using it could be the ones getting left behind.

Word up

I was talking to some homies that work at distributors and we where all saying the same thing (new buisness models and alternate ways of making money). I'm just wondering how long the switch will take and how bad will it get in the meantime.

I think the only people that may not be affected will be places like Groove Merchant, TSL, Good records etc...a great collectro is a great collectro.

There are maybe 3-5 people on this board that could think about steppping to AI as a dj and none of them would do it. Unless I am mistaken, I doubt Planet remotely is close to his/their league. I know I'm not.

he is not. who is he? what as he done?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I think the only people that may not be affected will be places like Groove Merchant, TSL, Good records etc...a great collectro is a great collectro.

This opinion is based on what? Your knowledge of the great collectro scene? For every great collectro out there, there are 5 saying "fuck it" It is having a tangible effect on high end stores.... you know the ones where a used to roll through and drop loot?

Nobody but Dj Planet...

Plaese read the chronology of a lil dude:
    http://vinylathletes.blogspot.com/

DJ Planet
    Astrological Sign: Aries
    Zodiac Year: Dragon
    About Me
    I grew up listening to all kinds of music from pop's record collection. Started DJing and buying my own records in early 1990. In 1996 I became a college radio DJ on UC Berkeley's KALX 90.7FM. Then in 1997 I got into making beats. Right now I'm working on my own music and still searching the globe for those elusive records. When I DJ expect to hear quality music. Stay tuned...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I guess this goes for all the dudes that have records out:

What do you think about deejays just dl'ing your shit? Like let's say a noticeable amount of dj dudes downloaded the rub ep? (I use the Rub EP because that is probally a record only a working dj would buy, rather than a "regular" album that non-deejay dudes would cop) Would you care and just be glad folks are spinning you're stuff? or pissed that no ones buying the vinyl and units aren't moving?

i think a lot of the people who buy The Rub records are bedroom dj types. either way vinyl is a huge pain in the ass that makes very little money compared to CDs, and i would rather people play my shit when it is new. i pretty much put everything i do up on the rub website right when i do it. if you are a digital person and want to support, buy the cd and rip the tracks for serato. but i don't think deterring people from downloading will help record sales, and besides record $ is just a drop in the bucket compared to gigs. but it is good to have it all out there.

Nobody but Dj Planet...

Plaese read the chronology of a lil dude:
    http://vinylathletes.blogspot.com/

DJ Planet
    Astrological Sign: Aries
    Zodiac Year: Dragon
    About Me
    I grew up listening to all kinds of music from pop's record collection. Started DJing and buying my own records in early 1990. In 1996 I became a college radio DJ on UC Berkeley's KALX 90.7FM. Then in 1997 I got into making beats. Right now I'm working on my own music and still searching the globe for those elusive records. When I DJ expect to hear quality music. Stay tuned...

i didnt know his credentials were so long.

man. AI aint got nothin on planet.

• I think the only people that may not be affected will be places like Groove Merchant, TSL, Good records etc...a great collectro is a great collectro.

This opinion is based on what? Your knowledge of the great collectro scene? For every great collectro out there, there are 5 saying "fuck it" It is having a tangible effect on high end stores.... you know the ones where a used to roll through and drop loot?

Well, I can't speak for other shops but the only effects serato has on my business is people don't buy much new vinyl or scuffy play copies of 12"s (unless they are raer) and more hip-hop collections are popping up.

Big DJs shop here and buy raers. I don't see that changing.

Word up

I was talking to some homies that work at distributors and we where all saying the same thing (new buisness models and alternate ways of making money). I'm just wondering how long the switch will take and how bad will it get in the meantime.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

Step your game up?? What does that mean??

Does stepping your game up mean getting rid of your hundred plus Killah Kuts records for a laptop filled with thousands of MP3's of songs you always wished you had without putting in the work to track them down?

Or should step your game up mean pay ya dues and practice your shit?

More importantly, is copping a "hundred plus Killah Kuts records" equivalent to "putting in work"?

Here's what my serato's filled with: 60% hip-hop, either dl'd recent stuff that I can't be bothered to pick up just to play out or ul'd CDs I've had for ages. 30% non-rap party records, from Jackson 5 to Loose Joints, ripped from records I own and had to "put in work" to track down. 10% dl'd joints that are great that I either a) haven't copped but see often, b) can't find because it's rare as shit, or c) own and would have ripped myself if not for the dl'd mp3.

So really I don't see where this is cramping anyone's record game. If you get it in record-wise, you'll have a broader knowledge base and untold joints to work with. If you'd rather spend a few hours ripping records at home so you don't have to lug 'em all later, then you're like me and I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you're not thorough, Planet, your stance on serato isn't gonna change shit about the fact that you have no record game.

Lets go away from skill for a moment. Part of being a DJ is the weapons you have in your crate. Your selection. Now with serato, the newjacks can have your entire collection or Supreme's entire collection if he wanted to, and I think that's wack. So what Premier is saying is that to deserve Serato you should pay ya dues first. Pay ya dues, develope your skills and your library before you step into the game. That's all he's saying and I agree.

That's just not true though dude. Sure, fools have access to a lot of rare shit, or supposedly rare shit - but like anyone, you have to decide what you like, what works for a crowd, etc. This stuff doesn't come overnight. You can have a list of 2000 rare records and not be able to do anything with that. How is that gonna help you? How are you gonna know even what to look for? Bottom line man, you gotta KNOW music to be a great DJ, and no matter what you can access over the internet, what you can read or download, KNOWING music doesn't come overnight. How are you gonna make up for not being in the clubs night after night, hearing dudes like the aforementioned Danny Krivit, Francois K, Kenny Dope, Jazzy Jeff, Kid Capri, Funkmaster Flex, and the list goes on. Just look at the population of this website - I mean, you yourself have access to a lot of great music that you wouldn't have known otherwise, has it made you a better DJ? Are you now the talk of the town because of your vast musical knowledge? NO, you're just another kid on soulstrut with an opinion, just like anyone else, and the fact that you downloaded Linda Perhacs or Turner Brothers rather than spending 10 years finding them doesn't make you the next Keb Darge, DJ Muro, or even the next Cosmo Baker.

So if this doesn't hold true for you, why would it hold true for anyone else?

Man Johnny you sound like you think you know me. I've already developed my sound, my selection, my style. I've rocked crowds. Been there done that. I know what I like and I buy records accordingly. I would hope that you or any other DJ out there would do the same and I think a tool like Serato has the potential to open the flood gates for bad DJ's to look good. Especially if they have preset mixes. That's bullshit. You don't know what they're doing up there behind that computer screen.

Well, I can't speak for other shops but the only effects serato has on my business is people don't buy much new vinyl or scuffy play copies of 12"s (unless they are raer) and more hip-hop collections are popping up.

Big DJs shop here and buy raers. I don't see that changing.

I'm almost positive shops selling old stuff will be around for quite awhile. Shops that just sell new stuff will become extinct.

• So vinyl will be gone in 3 years?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    So vinyl will be gone in 3 years?

Until we start making it cheaper from corn.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It seems to me like this topic is divided into two sides:

Those who KNOW what they're talking about
    Those who DON"T

I think we all know who falls into which category.

But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

Step your game up?? What does that mean??

Does stepping your game up mean getting rid of your hundred plus Killah Kuts records for a laptop filled with thousands of MP3's of songs you always wished you had without putting in the work to track them down?

Or should step your game up mean pay ya dues and practice your shit?

More importantly, is copping a "hundred plus Killah Kuts records" equivalent to "putting in work"?

Here's what my serato's filled with: 60% hip-hop, either dl'd recent stuff that I can't be bothered to pick up just to play out or ul'd CDs I've had for ages. 30% non-rap party records, from Jackson 5 to Loose Joints, ripped from records I own and had to "put in work" to track down. 10% dl'd joints that are great that I either a) haven't copped but see often, b) can't find because it's rare as shit, or c) own and would have ripped myself if not for the dl'd mp3.

So really I don't see where this is cramping anyone's record game. If you get it in record-wise, you'll have a broader knowledge base and untold joints to work with. If you'd rather spend a few hours ripping records at home so you don't have to lug 'em all later, then you're like me and I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you're not thorough, Planet, your stance on serato isn't gonna change shit about the fact that you have no record game.

Lets go away from skill for a moment. Part of being a DJ is the weapons you have in your crate. Your selection. Now with serato, the newjacks can have your entire collection or Supreme's entire collection if he wanted to, and I think that's wack. So what Premier is saying is that to deserve Serato you should pay ya dues first. Pay ya dues, develope your skills and your library before you step into the game. That's all he's saying and I agree.

That's just not true though dude. Sure, fools have access to a lot of rare shit, or supposedly rare shit - but like anyone, you have to decide what you like, what works for a crowd, etc. This stuff doesn't come overnight. You can have a list of 2000 rare records and not be able to do anything with that. How is that gonna help you? How are you gonna know even what to look for? Bottom line man, you gotta KNOW music to be a great DJ, and no matter what you can access over the internet, what you can read or download, KNOWING music doesn't come overnight. How are you gonna make up for not being in the clubs night after night, hearing dudes like the aforementioned Danny Krivit, Francois K, Kenny Dope, Jazzy Jeff, Kid Capri, Funkmaster Flex, and the list goes on. Just look at the population of this website - I mean, you yourself have access to a lot of great music that you wouldn't have known otherwise, has it made you a better DJ? Are you now the talk of the town because of your vast musical knowledge? NO, you're just another kid on soulstrut with an opinion, just like anyone else, and the fact that you downloaded Linda Perhacs or Turner Brothers rather than spending 10 years finding them doesn't make you the next Keb Darge, DJ Muro, or even the next Cosmo Baker.

So if this doesn't hold true for you, why would it hold true for anyone else?

Man Johnny you sound like you think you know me. I've already developed my sound, my selection, my style.[/b] I've rocked crowds. Been there done that. I know what I like and I buy records accordingly. I would hope that you or any other DJ out there would do the same and I think a tool like Serato has the potential to open the flood gates for bad DJ's to look good. Especially if they have preset mixes. That's bullshit. You don't know what they're doing up there behind that computer screen.

I don't think that this idiot even really knows what Serato is or even does. It does NOT premix anything for you. Presetting a mix in Serato would work EXACTLY the same way it would work on vinyl. You're thinking of Tracktion, you idiot.

Serato in NO way can make a bad dj look good. Your skills still remain the same no matter what.

It seems to me like this topic is divided into two sides:

Those who KNOW what they're talking about
    Those who DON"T

I think we all know who falls into which category.

Planet DEFINITELY does not know what the hell he's talking about.

On a whole? I dunno about 3... But there will come a time when the only thing that gets pressed on vinyl, will be collector type stuff and a bit of boot/reish stuff. But yes, don't look to majors and 99% of indies to be pressing.

IMO of course.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i don't think they will stop pressing 45s in Jamaica for a long ass time.