SERATO POST

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

GET ON MY LEVEL.

I like this one, even for a graemlin. I'm thinking a staircase or something like that....

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Most who talk shit about Serato have not really used and explored Serato and do not understand the power[/b] of Serato. It's deeper than you uninitiated folls and purists think. Serato is changing the game in ways the lazy thinkers have not yet thought possible.

The growing prevalence of Serato will make microwave DJs, brick oven DJs, easy bake oven DJs and all other variants of the DJ-cooking appliance spectrum step their fucking game up. It's already happening[/b]. Believe it. It's a waste of time to argue against this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I just want to say that I respect the opinions of both dudes like Primo, dudes like Supreme, and other dudes that are actually real DJs in the game.

Also I want to go on the record and say that IN MY OPINION that Serato is the shit. I'm a dope DJ. Serato has made it easier for me to spin and to do my thing, given me more options as to what I want to do in a set skills wise, allowed me to play shit I never ever would have had a chance to play, and all in all made a dope DJ even doper. That's what it does. That's what it do.

As for all this blah blah about how it's corny and not real, 90% of you cats spouting that shit aren't on my level or on a professional AKA REAL level anyway so you can just go on ahead with your pipe dreams as to what reality is all about. You can also ride on your horse and buggies to your cave and go back to using your butter churn to make yourself some breakfast.

IMHO lots of dudes need to step out of that discussion.

Saying.

Humility personified.

GET ON MY LEVEL.

NO THANKS

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'm with Cosmo on this one.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Main thing that scares me about Serato is how easy it is for someone to run off with your $1500 piece of equipment (Laptop) and the thousands of MP3s that will be lost as soon as dude gets out the door. I'm too broke to be comfortable with that being a very real possibility. But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Main thing that scares me about Serato is how easy it is for someone to run off with your $1500 piece of equipment (Laptop) and the thousands of MP3s that will be lost as soon as dude gets out the door. I'm too broke to be comfortable with that being a very real possibility. But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

Mutherfucker stole my laptop last night! Man. I'm pissed! If you see fuckers trying to hawk 192k mp3s around the internet, help a dude out. If anyone knows cats at the other message boards, tell them to be on the lookout. I don't want to have to rip all my CDs again!

PS: can someone re-up the Skull Snaps LP?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

Step your game up?? What does that mean??

Does stepping your game up mean getting rid of your hundred plus Killah Kuts records for a laptop filled with thousands of MP3's of songs you always wished you had without putting in the work to track them down?

Or should step your game up mean pay ya dues and practice your shit?

• Is anyone really hating on serato though?

I personally think it's excellent (though I can't afford it). In life, there will always be uses for both original records and digital to vinyl means such as Serato.

For those DJs that can't stand it, did you really consider that fact that you're still mixing and manipulating vinyl or did you just write it off immediately?

The only issue with me is money to the artists. If most DJs scrap originals for mp3s and continue down that path, there will likely be less 12"s pressed for DJing purposes........right?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

Does stepping your game up mean getting rid of your hundred plus Killah Kuts records for a laptop filled with thousands of MP3's of songs you always wished you had without putting in the work to track them down?

You scared, doggie?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

The only issue with me is money to the artists.

This is my only real gripe. But it's a fuckin HUUUUUGE gripe.

I'd like to hear some record vendors give their REAL opinions.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

-e

You scared, doggie?

Not even. I don't mind a veteran DJ choosing to use Serato for whatever reason cause he's going to know his shit anyway, but I do mind people (new jack DJs) taking short cuts for props.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

-e

You scared, doggie?

Not even. I don't mind a veteran DJ choosing to use Serato for whatever reason cause he's going to know his shit anyway, but I do mind people (new jack DJs) taking short cuts for props.

People taking shortcuts to "get props" has always been the case in DJing, guitar playing, weightlifting, carpentry, molecular biology... whatever.

Cream still rises to the top.

• I'm rocking some vinyl right now. Fuck what you heard. Belle & Sebastian, motherfuckers.

Fuck that, I'm listening to Sufjan Stevens on iTunes. ALL OF YOU ARE OUT-HERBED!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

• But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

More importantly, is copping a "hundred plus Killah Kuts records" equivalent to "putting in work"?

Here's what my serato's filled with: 60% hip-hop, either dl'd recent stuff that I can't be bothered to pick up just to play out or ul'd CDs I've had for ages. 30% non-rap party records, from Jackson 5 to Loose Joints, ripped from records I own and had to "put in work" to track down. 10% dl'd joints that are great that I either a) haven't copped but see often, b) can't find because it's rare as shit, or c) own and would have ripped myself if not for the dl'd mp3.

So really I don't see where this is cramping anyone's record game. If you get it in record-wise, you'll have a broader knowledge base and untold joints to work with. If you'd rather spend a few hours ripping records at home so you don't have to lug 'em all later, then you're like me and I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you're not thorough, Planet, your stance on serato isn't gonna change shit about the fact that you have no record game.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm rocking some vinyl right now. Fuck what you heard. Belle & Sebastian, motherfuckers.

Fuck that, I'm listening to Sufjan Stevens on iTunes. ALL OF YOU ARE OUT-HERBED!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

That kind of does out herb me, but MA your avatar is KILLING IT.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

doesn't the H stand for humble?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

"Humble" in my world means something different than it does in yours.

When Final Scratch/Serato both came out, I was extremely sceptical of either package working well enough to be used on a professional level. I started out on Final Scratch and was impressed with how close it came to real vinyl. Then I tried Serato and was immediately amazed at how much better it was than Final Scratch. I went out the next day and bought Serato.
    Over the next 12 months or so, I would routinely take out 2 bags of vinyl and Serato. Every gig I was playing less and less vinyl as my faith in Serato grew. Now I have no need to take vinyl at all. Yes, it's simply that good.
    Every time i've introduced Serato to another DJ, it always meets with the same reaction... a mixture of disbelief, doubt and excitement. Then I let them use it. I know of at least 3 DJs I have 'converted', and these are your die-hard vinyl pro-club DJs types.

Serato is here to stay. There's no denying it.
    Yes, it DOES make more music available to amateur DJs. But as Cosmo stated, it has also allowed me to access WAY more music for gigs and I know I have grown as a DJ because of that.
    I still buy vinyl (yes, a lot less than I used to but i'm real happy about not having an overflow of records) and I still convert vinyl to mp3.

And to set things straight... access to mp3s is no different to buying compilation CDs or re-issue/bootleg vinyls. Anyone can go into Music Factory/Ameoba/whatever and buy bootlegs of raer shit. Serato DOES NOT improve your DJ skills, just your access to music.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One other thing. Since I bought Serato, I would have sworn that I would have saved money by not buying all those disposable "Pon De Replay" 12" that one sometimes has to get. However I've ended up spending more money on vinyl cause I spend the money of the raer. Turned around and bit me in the ass on that one.

• One other thing. Since I bought Serato, I would have sworn that I would have saved money by not buying all those disposable "Pon De Replay" 12" that one sometimes has to get. However I've ended up spending more money on vinyl cause I spend the money of the raer. Turned around and bit me in the ass on that one.

That's a better value for your money though Cos.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts

hum??ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hmbl)
    adj. hum??bler, hum??blest

1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.

2. Showing deferential or submissive respect: a humble apology.

3. Low in rank, quality, or station; unpretentious or lowly: a humble cottage.

• Serato DOES NOT improve your DJ skills, just your access to music.

I disagree, by improving your access to music (i.e, you can access 20,000 songs at your fingertips) it inherently improves your skills as a dj. Also, if your a hip hop dj who does quick-mixes, you should be building a shrine to Serato because, if you use markers and "relative mode", this shit is . Also, for those who haven't peeped the Serato boards recently, version 1.5 (which will be a free update) is gonna have on-the-fly looping.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

-e

More importantly, is copping a "hundred plus Killah Kuts records" equivalent to "putting in work"?

Here's what my serato's filled with: 60% hip-hop, either dl'd recent stuff that I can't be bothered to pick up just to play out or ul'd CDs I've had for ages. 30% non-rap party records, from Jackson 5 to Loose Joints, ripped from records I own and had to "put in work" to track down. 10% dl'd joints that are great that I either a) haven't copped but see often, b) can't find because it's rare as shit, or c) own and would have ripped myself if not for the dl'd mp3.

So really I don't see where this is cramping anyone's record game. If you get it in record-wise, you'll have a broader knowledge base and untold joints to work with. If you'd rather spend a few hours ripping records at home so you don't have to lug 'em all later, then you're like me and I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you're not thorough, Planet, your stance on serato isn't gonna change shit about the fact that you have no record game.

Lets go away from skill for a moment. Part of being a DJ is the weapons you have in your crate. Your selection. Now with serato, the newjacks can have your entire collection or Supreme's entire collection if he wanted to, and I think that's wack. So what Premier is saying is that to deserve Serato you should pay ya dues first. Pay ya dues, develope your skills and your library before you step into the game. That's all he's saying and I agree.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or spirit; not arrogant or prideful.

Yo Lucille Ball hairdo, I don't go spouting about what I do what I don't do whatever. However in the above case yes I am confident to state that I am a dope DJ, better than many, nowhere near in the realm of many, but dope in my own right for what I do, and I made that declaration to add weight to my arguement about Serato. On the strenght my rep proceeds me, but I don't rest on that. However if you want to pick a bone with me regarding what it do then you're barking up the wrong tree. Jees, I step off of Sulstrut because I'm tired of bullshit and not 12 hours back into it...

GET ON MY LEVEL.

• calling serato "dildo" is perfect. I've been to dj a couple places were i broke out the box to hook it up, and these hoes were like, "nu uhh, that's too big for me"

seriously. they got scurred. could'nt handle the girth.

some djs are genuinely scared of this shit. dude's, let it go. you'll be a happier person.

hah. thants some shit. fuck all the bullshit though. I have been making all my stuff for a new record and will be assembling the whole thing in Serato. can't do that without presssing up a couple g's in dubplates.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts

Yo Lucille Ball hairdo, I don't go spouting about what I do what I don't do whatever. However in the above case yes I am confident to state that I am a dope DJ, better than many, nowhere near in the realm of many, but dope in my own right for what I do, and I made that declaration to add weight to my arguement about Serato. On the strenght my rep proceeds me, but I don't rest on that. However if you want to pick a bone with me regarding what it do then you're barking up the wrong tree. Jees, I step off of Sulstrut because I'm tired of bullshit and not 12 hours back into it...

GET ON MY LEVEL.

I think your name fits you Iverson. Or maybe you should change your name to T.O. Pride and arrogence is

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Adios, Soulstrut.

• But, hating on Serato is some insecure, scared-of-new-jack DJ schitt. Don't be scurred! Step your game up!

-e

Lets go away from skill for a moment. Part of being a DJ is the weapons you have in your crate. Your selection. Now with serato, the newjacks can have your entire collection or Supreme's entire collection if he wanted to, and I think that's wack. So what Premier is saying is that to deserve Serato you should pay ya dues first. Pay ya dues, develope your skills and your library before you step into the game. That's all he's saying and I agree.

That's just not true though dude. Sure, fools have access to a lot of rare shit, or supposedly rare shit - but like anyone, you have to decide what you like, what works for a crowd, etc. This stuff doesn't come overnight. You can have a list of 2000 rare records and not be able to do anything with that. How is that gonna help you? How are you gonna know even what to look for? Bottom line man, you gotta KNOW music to be a great DJ, and no matter what you can access over the internet, what you can read or download, KNOWING music doesn't come overnight. How are you gonna make up for not being in the clubs night after night, hearing dudes like the aforementioned Danny Krivit, Francois K, Kenny Dope, Jazzy Jeff, Kid Capri, Funkmaster Flex, and the list goes on. Just look at the population of this website - I mean, you yourself have access to a lot of great music that you wouldn't have known otherwise, has it made you a better DJ? Are you now the talk of the town because of your vast musical knowledge? NO, you're just another kid on soulstrut with an opinion, just like anyone else, and the fact that you downloaded Linda Perhacs or Turner Brothers rather than spending 10 years finding them doesn't make you the next Keb Darge, DJ Muro, or even the next Cosmo Baker.

So if this doesn't hold true for you, why would it hold true for anyone else?

Serato DOES NOT improve your DJ skills, just your access to music.

I disagree, by improving your access to music (i.e, you can access 20,000 songs at your fingertips) it inherently improves your skills as a dj. Also, if your a hip hop dj who does quick-mixes, you should be building a shrine to Serato because, if you use markers and "relative mode", this shit is .

That's a fairly weak arguement.
    Recognise the difference between access to the music and HOW you use it. That's why Serato does not make wack DJs better. Honestly, you can pretty much get ANYTHING on vinyl, even if it's on a comp or bootleg. And DJs have been using markers on vinyl for YEARS for quick mixes.

Remember, a good DJ is going to know that just because you have 10,000 songs with you, doesn't mean you will actually PLAY 10,000 songs. That's the thing people tend to overlook...

• Look what you've done now, prick! Dammit! "IMHO" is just a freakin' expression!

Anyway AI doesn't need to be humble, he'll DJ circles around you and doesn't need Serato to do it.