SERATO POST

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So vinyl will be gone in 3 years?

i don't think they will stop pressing 45s in Jamaica for a long ass time.

Hmmm.. Prolly sooner than you thought. Most of the heavy sounds down in Jamaica are all on CDJ's and get their dubplates via digital means.
    The nature of having the top riddims and songs fastest means not waiting for any vinyl to be pressed up.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    It seems to me like this topic is divided into two sides:

Those who KNOW what they're talking about
    Those who DON"T

I think we all know who falls into which category.

Planet DEFINITELY does not know what the hell he's talking about.

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've played with Final Scratch, CDJs, and Serato. I used to sell this shit and get demos from company reps. It's cool technology but nothing beats the real thing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

On a whole? I dunno about 3... But there will come a time when the only thing that gets pressed on vinyl, will be collector type stuff and a bit of boot/reish stuff. But yes, don't look to majors and 99% of indies to be pressing.

IMO of course.

Well, they haven't been wanting to press vinyl for quite some time. Vinyl, with its high manufacturing costs and low profit margin, was supposed to have been dead a long time ago, and it's primarily DJs keeping it alive. I do think that part of the rationale for CDJs first and now Serato-type stuff is to finally kill off vinyl. I don't think that's the only motivation, or even necessarily the primary motivation, but I do think record labels are happy that Serato is pushing things toward the end of vinyl.

But that's enough reasonable discussion--let's get back to comparing DJ credentials!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i don't think they will stop pressing 45s in Jamaica for a long ass time.

Hmmm.. Prolly sooner than you thought. Most of the heavy sounds down in Jamaica are all on CDJ's and get their dubplates via digital means.
    The nature of having the top riddims and songs fastest means not waiting for any vinyl to be pressed up.

i don't have a death date for vinyl, i just think the conversation is a little narrow in scope. hardcore bands will keep churning out those split 45s for as long as they can, too. as it a huge part of the jamaican economy and culture and there are quite number of presses there, i don't think it's the same situation as here. digital recording or not, dubplates are dubplates.

no doubt that everywhere in the world people are listening to and recording music differently.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Those who DON"T

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I've played with Final Scratch, CDJs, and Serato. I used to sell this shit and get demos from company reps. It's cool technology but nothing beats the real thing.

Dude, if you could know how much it's improved in so little time. And it just gets better and better with each build.

I remember when it was richie hawtin & John Aquaviva that were the test guinea pigs for pre final scratch (before serato). They were the first DJ's to start testing and using it. I remember reading all their complaints before it even came out (Delay was something like 4 seconds or some shit now it's at what? 20 ms or less?) and within months, many of those were put to rest. Shit ain't going away... It's just going to get better and more DJ's will move to it. It can't be stopped.

But that's enough reasonable discussion--let's get back to comparing DJ credentials!

LOL - you know?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What have I started?

Let's get back to talking about Emo credenials

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    What have I started?

What do you think of Looper? I'm not a huge fan, but they've got a couple decent joints.

What have I started?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What have I started?

What do you think of Looper? I'm not a huge fan, but they've got a couple decent joints.

I dunno about them but I made a beat once from that B&S record.

• It seems to me like this topic is divided into two sides:

Those who DON"T

Dude, if you could know how much it's improved in so little time. And it just gets better and better with each build.

I remember when it was richie hawtin & John Aquaviva that were the test guinea pigs for pre final scratch (before serato). They were the first DJ's to start testing and using it. I remember reading all their complaints before it even came out (Delay was something like 4 seconds or some shit now it's at what? 20 ms or less?) and within months, many of those were put to rest. Shit ain't going away... It's just going to get better and more DJ's will move to it. It can't be stopped.

Its INEVITABLE

It seems like the only ones getting a hard on regarding this topic are OTHER DJ'S. Honestly if you would have asked any woman gettin down on the dance floor, sweatin to your mix what her opinion was on this...I think folks are getting a bit bitter on this topic. Honestly and if you do earn your bread Djin and you are salty on this than it is time to step the game up. Seperate yourself from the pack. That is if we are still talking about Music, Dancing, and Fun.

Those who DON"T

Its INEVITABLE

It seems like the only ones getting a hard on regarding this topic are OTHER DJ'S. Honestly if you would have asked any woman gettin down on the dance floor, sweatin to your mix what her opinion was on this...I think folks are getting a bit bitter on this topic. Honestly and if you do earn your bread Djin and you are salty on this than it is time to step the game up. Seperate yourself from the pack. That is if we are still talking about Music, Dancing, and Fun.

not for nothing, said women wouldn't care if it was the radio or tape either. Let's not give 'em too much credit.

Those who DON"T

Its INEVITABLE

not for nothing, said women wouldn't care if it was the radio or tape either. Let's not give 'em too much credit.

But then who would they give winks to and hit on? Hoping to bag themselves a well known DJ? Remember... "Gurls love the way he spins!!"

Those who DON"T

Its INEVITABLE

But then who would they give winks to and hit on?

i don't have a death date for vinyl, i just think the conversation is a little narrow in scope. hardcore bands will keep churning out those split 45s for as long as they can, too. as it a huge part of the jamaican economy and culture and there are quite number of presses there, i don't think it's the same situation as here. digital recording or not, dubplates are dubplates.

no doubt that everywhere in the world people are listening to and recording music differently.

hipster rock snobs love their vinyl. lots of non-djs are still buying records.

also serato/final scratch are expensive and basically require a laptop. it's already $1000 for two good turntables/cdjs and a mixer (at least); that's almost another $2000 on top to run serato!

hipster rock snobs love their vinyl. lots of non-djs are still buying records.

also serato/final scratch are expensive and basically require a laptop. it's already $1000 for two good turntables/cdjs and a mixer (at least); that's almost another $2000 on top to run serato!

But serato has dropped by almost half in the last 2 years and you can pick up a decent laptop for like 8 bills now. If you play out, 1200's and a mixer are already there.

If ur a working DJ, it won't take long to make that money back... 1300-1500 bucks ain't a huge investment if ur playing out often.

If records are eliminated it seems like dj turntables will also be replaced by some sort of serato (dildo) control device.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Not for nothing, said women are the ones paying your bills. They deserve at least 90% of the credit.

-e

Those who DON"T

Its INEVITABLE

Indeed. I guess im guilty of throwing on one to many BEST OF's

Its INEVITABLE

But then who would they give winks to and hit on? Hoping to bag themselves a well known DJ? Remember... "Gurls love the way he spins!!"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    People who think that DJs will be eliminated by technology are ridiculous.

I've rocked parties with several DJs and while we've had almost identical records in our crates, they rocked the crowd way better than I would've been able to with nearly the exact same pieces of music available. Knowing when to play something and in what context is what DJing is all about.

We've all got access to the same words (they're all in the dictionary after all) but that doesn't mean we're all great writers. It's all about how the words are strung together.

-e

• not for nothing, said women wouldn't care if it was the radio or tape either. Let's not give 'em too much credit.

Not for nothing, said women are the ones paying your bills. They deserve at least 90% of the credit.

-e

That logic rivals "I PAY TO POST HERE". I guess I should just walk around with a sign-up sheet beforehand then.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    If records are eliminated it seems like dj turntables will also be replaced by some sort of serato (dildo) control device.

Yes, i've heard that Technics have introduced an amazing new device just for this:

Its INEVITABLE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

We've all got access to the same words (they're all in the dictionary after all) but that doesn't mean we're all great writers. It's all about how the words are strung together.

Very nice, Emil.

And by the way, the girls hollor at me much less since I've started using dildo.

• People who think that DJs will be eliminated by technology are ridiculous.

I've rocked parties with several DJs and while we've had almost identical records in our crates, they rocked the crowd way better than I would've been able to with nearly the exact same pieces of music available. Knowing when to play something and in what context is what DJing is all about.

-e

DJ DUDES TAKE NOTE!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Someone just needs to design a mixer with Serrato built-in - a little screen so it doesn't look like the DJs checking their email - and a DVD drive input to let you load 5 gigs of MP3s, and bingo, all you have to do is show up with a couple of DVDs and you're ready to go. At the end of the night you erase your tunes, and it's clear for the next DJ....

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

At the end of the night you erase your tunes, and it's clear for the next DJ....

And do not forget to defrag your disk before you leave