Arthur Verocai S/T Appreciation

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited December 2005 in Strut Central
The D.R. Hooker thread got me thinking about the albums I can't stop listening to since the massive uploads.
I was in an adventurous mood on this album and that led me to explore new melodic, harmonic and rhythmic paths.
What a gorgeous piece of work. NOTHING is fucking with this. At all. What else sounds like this?

Comments

• Big Cosign!
    "Presente Grego" is my shit... can't get enough of that.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i was going to post the exact same thing. i'd also like to know what else sounds like this.

• lo borges

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    yes, very excellent. I knew some history on this dude, apparently his music was very liberal for the time and got him in some hot water. there's some other stuff, but I forgot.

Does anyone actually have an original of this?

• this is wild that you brought this up. at my work people can listen to other worker's music in their itunes and i JUST got this email from a coworker:

Does the Luv/Haight reissue of Verocai???s album have the lyrics translated?

i listen to this regularly now at work thx to massive upload thread

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    This is rain music. With a cup of tea....wow.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Haha not true, I have been listening to the LP a lot in the past couple years in sunny, non-rainy SD.

I do see your point though.

I was reading about the string section, I didn't realize it was so massive. Also, the vocals are fucking perfect. Just the right amount of fuzz. Has anyone even seen an og of this? I'm not usually into the hunting down the og game, but I would break bread on this.

Haha not true, I have been listening to the LP a lot in the past couple years in sunny, non-rainy SD.

I do see your point though.

Yeah, its just pouring today and this is hitting harder than ever. Melancholy but uplifting. Gettin my emo on...

• According to a brazilian soulseeker I texteded with, he still performs regularly in Rio.

• I also don't know anyone with an OG.

but big co-sign - this album is beautiful

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I was reading about the string section, I didn't realize it was so massive. Also, the vocals are fucking perfect. Just the right amount of fuzz. Has anyone even seen an og of this? I'm not usually into the hunting down the og game, but I would break bread on this.

I think OG is worth a bit....

• slushslush 691 Posts
    yeah i was listening yesterday after not playing it for a while. it doesnt get old. classic classic shit.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    i was going to post the exact same thing. i'd also like to know what else sounds like this.

You should look for music made by the "Clube da Esquina" people: Milton Nascimento, Lo Borges, Beto Guedes, Toninho Horta, Novelli, Wagner Tiso..... in the early 70's.
    Listen here

Peace

• I was reading about the string section, I didn't realize it was so massive. Also, the vocals are fucking perfect. Just the right amount of fuzz. Has anyone even seen an og of this? I'm not usually into the hunting down the og game, but I would break bread on this.

I think OG is worth a bit....

It seems to pop up a couple times a year and go for around $500. Popsike has one at $639:
    http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4029639670

A friend of mine in Rio has an original copy. He played it for me one rainy stoned evening in his apartment in the Leme neighborhood. This was a couple of years before the reissue so I had no idea.

Me: holy shit, do you have an extra copy of that?
    Him: uhhh, no. It's, uh, pretty hard to find...

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Does anyone actually have an original of this?

I do. Its my most prizedest Lp, for sure. I had to shell out a small fortune for it (sorry future kids, college is out of the question), but its worth every damn penny.

I might go traveling across america and photograph myself with this LP in every location.

If anyone is interested in funding this, PM me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I remember CoolChris talking about shelling out for this album as well.

I don't get the people who say, that the strings and/or horns are off.

It's a fucking perfect album.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

You should look for music made by the "Clube da Esquina" people: Milton Nascimento, Lo Borges, Beto Guedes, Toninho Horta, Novelli, Wagner Tiso..... in the early 70's.
    Listen here

Peace

some beautiful work out of minas gerais. i agree.

Toninho gets a bit to proggy and sappy at times- but good nonetheless (skip pat metheny).

beautiful arrangements- deep stuff.

much overlooked and very affordable: First few Luiz Gonzaga Jr. lps- a different feel but $15 well spent.

• yes, yes, and yes.

top fav.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    That album blew my fucking wig.

I want to make music like it.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    That album blew my fucking wig.

Co-Sizzle.

Its some of the best shit EVAR and its so unique - I dont want to get all dusty groove but its almost "genre defying - makes as many rules as it breaks.. music like this had never been done, before OR after!"

DJ Day, lets get our new genre on. Im getting way fuckin sick of making the same old shit.

I want to grow (no ayo) in that direction.

• That album blew my fucking wig.

Co-sign. Original, wonderful music.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Big co-sign, i have`nt stopped listening to it ever since. Nice mix of tones from sad to funky to simply chillin. How many spliffs to caboclo with a cup of tea indeed.

For the person who said his music was avant garde for his time. Indeed, I read he was one of the first brazilians to incorporate electronic aspects to his music in the way he did. Years later he is very appreciated. Gotta love that shit.
    PS:check jneiro jarel-Brazilian Thought (Label Who) for a sweet re-edit of track 2 (Pelas ...)

Wendy and bonnie is another one on constant rotation thanks to magic for the extra tracks

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I have been digging for records since 94 in Rio, usually once a year for 3-4 weeks. This is one of the toughest albums to find, even local dealers hardly come across it! I have found three copies in all that time, but they were all M-condition (first one picked up in 98).

I'll get back later with some other deep stuff in a similar vein...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i dont know.. i dig the record but its never BLOWN me away.. probably cause of the hype.

i still put it on every once in awhile trying to "get it" but it never seemes to kick in...

• I have found three copies in all that time, but they were all M-condition

Around here, M- indicates almost perfect condition. I guess they really do inflate the gradings in South America.

• at my work people can listen to other worker's music in their itunes

If you don't know about it already you need to download Our-Tunes. It lets you copy anything people are sharing over the i-tunes network. I think I'll start another thread with some questions I've got about it.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I am based in London, but know all about S.American grading issues!

The three copies were all M- copies. There were no marks, or noise on the records. I am fussy about quality of records, only take VG+ to M- copies for myself and for selling. To find three copies is lucky, but to find all three in such good condition was very fortunate...

Here are some records of a similar style, and some that are just for dropping the needle and listening all the way through!

Antonio Adolfo : Idem Philips 72

Azimuth : Idem Som Livre 75

Burnier e Cartier : Idem RCA 74

Eduardo Conde : Minha Chegada Philips 69

Filo : Idem Chantecler 78

Egberto Gismonte : Idem Elenco 69

Egbero Gismonte : Sonho 70 Polydor 70

Cesar Mariano & Cia : Sao Paulo RCA 77

Piri : Voces Querem Mate? Quartin 70

Sexteto do Beco : Idem Fundacao Cultural Do Estado Da Bahia 80

Gay Vaquer : The Morning Of The Musicians RCA 73

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Huge cosign

One of my favourite albums of all time. In my top #2. Nothing really sounds very similar to this album that I've heard but the next thing for me is Milton Nascimento, especially Courage, Cluba de Esquina (sp?) and S/T.

According to a brazilian soulseeker I texteded with, he still performs regularly in Rio.
    Dude is making a new album too

i dont know.. i dig the record but its never BLOWN me away.. probably cause of the hype.

i still put it on every once in awhile trying to "get it" but it never seemes to kick in...

Dude, I remember reading your list of albums you deleted after the first listen during the massive uploading, and being like pssshhhh..... I'm still waiting to hear what you DO like. I like your music though.