phony rappers that do not write; phony rappers

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What???? when was the last time you heard Phife was sloppy?

see above artists solo album

I believe that Ross Hogg--who is generally fairly sensible--has been known to jock this record...

• What???? when was the last time you heard Phife was sloppy?

I believe that Ross Hogg--who is generally fairly sensible--has been known to jock this record...

The record I like is not his solo album, but his solo single ("U Know U Want It").

Read up on your readups.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I like aboves solo album!

new q tip is cornier than phife

What???? when was the last time you heard Phife was sloppy?

The record I like is not his solo album, but his solo single ("U Know U Want It").

Read up on your readups.

Regardless, it is almost beyond imaginability that the contents of a record called "U Know U Want It" could redeem it's title...

Q-Tip Kravitz = painfully corny

Amplified = better than the last two ATCQ records
    (Yeah, I said it)

(Yeah, I said it)

maybe if phife was on it !

• new q tip is cornier than phife

prime cuts is Y[/b]

• BR&L had a few good moments. Get A Hold is near classic Tribe schitt to me. Jam, Phony Rappers, Keeping It Moving, The Hop and 1nce Again were all a-ight. But as a whole album? I would not call it a terd compared to most of what's out there, but compared to their first three albums... yeah, I have to admit I think it's kinda terd-like. Put it like this: I'm selling off most of my hip hop vinyl and ripping MP3's of the stuff that I need to have. I did not rip BR&L to MP3.

More than anything I think that the selection of samples was not up to Tribe-level. What really baffles me is that me and some other beat dealers were selling Tip records around this time- I know he had some certifiable heat he could've used on that album if he so chose to. But hey, dudes are artists; you can't knock them if that's their vision they were trying to put out there. I still got crazy respect for those dudes' music regardless.

• new q tip is cornier than phife

(Yeah, I said it)

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

• I still got crazy respect for those dudes

• yall are buggin..i love this album, forever a summer classic to me, beats are smooth as fuck, and phife actually shows sign of finding his style,...word to brl !

Summer classic? You must have lived through some wack summers.

And Phife sounded horrible on this record.
    dude, you really need to just shut up sometimes. you obviously have wack taste in music. this album is no classic, but definitely a solid listen.

faux, what albums were you listening to in 95? D'angelo-brown sugar?

Not fair. Say what you will about BRL but Brown Sugar is nice. I'm sure lot's of whack albums came out in '95 that you could have used to try to clown faux.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Co-sign. It's not as good as the three albums before it but I still found it quite listenable.

BR&L had a few good moments. Get A Hold is near classic Tribe schitt to me. Jam, Phony Rappers, Keeping It Moving, The Hop and 1nce Again were all a-ight. But as a whole album? I would not call it a terd compared to most of what's out there, but compared to their first three albums... yeah, I have to admit I think it's kinda terd-like. Put it like this: I'm selling off most of my hip hop vinyl and ripping MP3's of the stuff that I need to have. I did not rip BR&L to MP3.

More than anything I think that the selection of samples was not up to Tribe-level. What really baffles me is that me and some other beat dealers were selling Tip records around this time- I know he had some certifiable heat he could've used on that album if he so chose to. But hey, dudes are artists; you can't knock them if that's their vision they were trying to put out there. I still got crazy respect for those dudes' music regardless.

• Sorry, i'll get in real Tribe fan mode now, here goes...

I agree, this album is doo-doo, it's all about Midnight Marauders or Low End Theory and maybe People's Instinctive Travels, after that they didn't even deserve a listen!

Thank you

It's people like you that made Q-Tip turn gay. Good job, crotch rocket.

Actually, I haven't listened to that album in a long time. And looking over the discography, I see why. What a bunch of crap.

Sorry, i'll get in real Tribe fan mode now, here goes...

I agree, this album is doo-doo, it's all about Midnight Marauders or Low End Theory and maybe People's Instinctive Travels, after that they didn't even deserve a listen!

Thank you

It's people like you that made Q-Tip turn gay. Good job, crotch rocket.

This is one of your better posts... the logic of it evades me, but it's still a good post.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The album gets progressively worse from track 1 onwards.

• I remember being sooo excited to go out and get it when it finally came out, I was slightly disappointed. However, it did grow on me. No, it is not like their first three, but like PhilMost said, it is better than most of the shit out there.

And I think the good tracks (and there are several of them) still sound good today. Still a solid listen.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Phony rappers...

Get a hold...

motivators...

jam...

crew...

1nce again...

mind power...

the hop....

keep it moving...

baby phifes return.....

seperate together...

what really goes....

word play....

stressed out....

Amplified is much better than B,R&L and Love Mov't....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

the hop....

Amplified is much better than B,R&L and slightly better than Love Mov't....

The Hop stands out to me. I dont really feel amplified (it may have been because of the judgment I was passing on Q-Tip's ego at the time)

Time for some new tribe stuff?

Time for some new tribe stuff?

Hell no.....

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

-"Realms & Reality"-Cella Dwellas.

!!!

Whoa, totally forgot about this one.

I seem to remember bumping that OGC album quite a bit in '96, but I haven't listened to it in years. Worth going back to?

• yall are buggin..i love this album, forever a summer classic to me, beats are smooth as fuck, and phife actually shows sign of finding his style,...word to brl !

Summer classic? You must have lived through some wack summers.

And Phife sounded horrible on this record.

I Agree. Phife did sound horrible

The funny thing is Phife's solo effort was hands down far better then Q-Tip's

Some other gems from that time would have to be

The B.U.M.S. - Lyfe 'n' Tyme
    O.C. - Word....Life
    Artifacts - That's Them
    Pete Rock and Cl Smooth - The Main Ingredient
    Poor Righteous Teachers - New World Order
    Kurious - A Constipated Monkey (One of my all time favorites)

• The funny thing is Phife's solo effort was hands down far better then Q-Tip's

There are a lotta opinions on here that I don't really agree with but WOW.

• Don't get me wrong Q-Tip has always been my favorite member of Tribe but his solo album was abolutely terrible.

The funny thing is Phife's solo effort was hands down far better then Q-Tip's

• BRL was a good album. not classic.

Others from 95/96 - Fugees - nobody said this?

wasnt Dogg Pound around this time? extremely snoozed on.

how bout non-urban 95-96?

don't forget - Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I'm embarassed that something about this still appeals to me. they were creative musicians you gotta admit (for this album).

and also - Nirvana in 95 was the shit. you know that was the first shit you learned on guitar. shit was hot for the time, and I've heard people argue its classic. not sure if I'd go that far, but you gotta admit it was among the best non-urban shit in the mid90's. and STP.

What. I have diverse taste.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Some other gems from that time would have to be

The B.U.M.S. - Lyfe 'n' Tyme
    O.C. - Word....Life
    Artifacts - That's Them
    Pete Rock and Cl Smooth - The Main Ingredient
    Poor Righteous Teachers - New World Order
    Kurious - A Constipated Monkey (One of my all time favorites)

Seriously, I challenge anyone to listen to at least 4/5ths of those above albums and make it through even half the songs without being bored to tears. This is coming from someone who actually really LOVED hip-hop during that era but as time goes by, a lot of that shit just doesn't age well. Off that list though, the PRT was, in my opinion, rather slept-on and as I get older, I find that "The Main Ingredient's" best cuts are more listenable to me than most of "Mecca and the Soul Brother" though there was also some syrupy bullshit on "The Main Ingredient" too.

• Seriously, I challenge anyone to listen to at least 4/5ths of those above albums and make it through even half the songs without being bored to tears. This is coming from someone who actually really LOVED hip-hop during that era but as time goes by, a lot of that shit just doesn't age well. Off that list though, the PRT was, in my opinion, rather slept-on and as I get older, I find that "The Main Ingredient's" best cuts are more listenable to me than most of "Mecca and the Soul Brother" though there was also some syrupy bullshit on "The Main Ingredient" too.

Just an aside, but I couldn't help but wondering if back in the day people had this conversation about, like, jazz from the 30s. Or 50s. Whatever. People who were originally around when the shit first hit... like "Ehh, this didn't age so well."
    Flash forward now to those that weren't around (us) and we eat a lot of that old stuff for breakfast.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Seriously, I challenge anyone to listen to at least 4/5ths of those above albums and make it through even half the songs without being bored to tears. This is coming from someone who actually really LOVED hip-hop during that era but as time goes by, a lot of that shit just doesn't age well. Off that list though, the PRT was, in my opinion, rather slept-on and as I get older, I find that "The Main Ingredient's" best cuts are more listenable to me than most of "Mecca and the Soul Brother" though there was also some syrupy bullshit on "The Main Ingredient" too.

Just an aside, but I couldn't help but wondering if back in the day people had this conversation about, like, jazz from the 30s. Or 50s. Whatever. People who were originally around when the shit first hit... like "Ehh, this didn't age so well."
    Flash forward now to those that weren't around (us) and we eat a lot of that old stuff for breakfast.

I would say that the ever changing trends of hip hop definitely come into play with a lot of the music.

Apart from dance music I can think of no other genre where what is considered hot and what is considered passe is so transient.

• You know, I like the beats better on Main Ingredient these days but some of the rhyming is a little cringe-inducing. Whereas I love the rhyming on Mecca & The Soul Brother.

Other than that yeah most of the albums discussed in this thread are shit. Big Stacks, a grown and sexy man like yourself wouldn't be caught dead listening to a terd like "That's Them" would you?

Oh yeah, cosign on New World Order. Very slept on album with some straight heatery.