weekend finds nov 11-nov13

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Did you get the Lee Moses at WFMU??

• birthday weekend!!(today)

• Archie Shepp- In Europe (Delmark)
    Miles Davis- On the Corner (Columbia)
    Black Arthur Blythe- Bush Baby (Adelphi)
    Joe McPhee and John Snyder- Pieces of Light (CjR)- ebay purchase, picked it up yesterday, mint
    Anthony Braxton- Six Monk's Compositions (1987) (Black Saint)
    Sonny Rollins- Way Out West (Contemporary)- OG, mint, $8.00. I'll take it!
    V/A- The Super Groups (Peacock)- gospel comp from 1973...really great stuff on here
    Kurtis Blow- Tough (Mercury)
    Egyptian Lover- Egypt, Egypt 12" (Freak Beat)- sealed
    Hampton Hawes- Vol. 1: The Trio (Contemporary)- another mint OG Contemporary pressing
    Albert Ayler- My Name is Albert Ayler (Fantasy)- mono, white label promo

oh and one 45, nothing too special:
    Elijah and the Ebonies- Hot Grits! / Sock it To 'Em Soul Brother (Capsoul)

• Outskirts of Dallas Saturday the 12th...sorry for the crappy photos.

rockadallas...that shaftman has music or no??
    i know the reissue with the white dude on the cover has the same story dialogue, but it also has a bunch of sick funk cuts on it too, including sexy coffee pot. whats the deal???

are you the dallas dude that sets up at the birmingham and austin shows?

• just got back from a local Milwaukee record show where the dealers are clueless about records and found a couple nice things..spent about 40 dollars total and came home with Bill Doggett Honky Tonk 45 (beatnuts loop),James Brown Sex Machine Lp,The Headhunters Straight From The Gate Lp,Herman Kelly And Life Percussion Explosion (2 dollars),Melinda OST By Jerry Butler,Maxayn S/T LP,Friend And Lover LP,Roger Daltrey Lp,Peter Green In The Skies LP,The Sons Of Champlin S/T LP,and another Donovan Hurdy Gurdy Lp....I love Milwaukee

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

rockadallas...that shaftman has music or no??
    i know the reissue with the white dude on the cover has the same story dialogue, but it also has a bunch of sick funk cuts on it too, including sexy coffee pot. whats the deal???

are you the dallas dude that sets up at the birmingham and austin shows?

I haven't been to Birmingham in many years but I do set up at Austin....I think you are referring to David Foreman.....he deals mostly in 45's and some crazy ass LP's...

No music on the Shaftman LP...just the sounds of Sex-O-Rama

Rich

• You will like that charles owens nate. A highly underrated album IMO and always affordable whenever I see it but I think that's just because it's not widely known. Or not outright funky.

I can get with the belly peeking out from under afro-centric sweatpants look. He is a new age soul man capable of blowing galaxies from his saxophone.

• Options
    pookeyblows

K.

Private Dutch disco-funk LP with RAP! WHOOOO!

listen:

http://www.bombaybeats.com/mp3/Erwinbouterse.mp3

This LP is 70's edition of Ace is Base or "Come on Barbie". A stoopid-butt full of ass tracks on that LP (and the 45) IMO.

K.

• haha man what do you mean? i like that song!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Stopped by [censored] and was excited to come up on the Talk Talk and and Disco joint etc., becuase things have been slow for me lately, but then I hit the jazz vein. Most are OG monos. All are minty.

• Options
    That it's some of the worst disco I've ever heard (and I like West Indian takes on disco).

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts and fleas: 25 cents - a dollar each
    (the only exceptions being the slits lp and the john fahey lp --traded in to a record shop for those macho core 7"s i got last week for 2 bucks).

bob pinodo in that above pic is a pretty decent afrobeat/highlife record. the song "africa" is awesome!

mystic moods orchestra audiophile copy w/ loads of breaks and funkiness--dj shadow made this one famous. megaraer stan getz lp on norgran---megaraer italian jazz lp, lots of good soundtracks--fave being the resnais directed italo score.

45s---

private electro funk/boogie/hip-hop/go-go 45!!:

60s mod/garage single:

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    dakar, please tell me where these thrifts/fleas are that you come up at EVERY week.

that Stan Getz album cover is one of the dopest ive ever seen

dakar, please tell me where these thrifts/fleas are that you come up at EVERY week.

that Stan Getz album cover is one of the dopest ive ever seen

TheMack--Eastern Pa. mostly--some in NJ.
    I also have a hook-up who is a real cool dude--Mark Mylatency met him when he came out to visit NYC area-- but I haven't visited him in a while --but I'm pretty sure it is him dropping some of this at the thrift actually. he's just got so many records.
    plus--the fleas around here are usually good. my main competition is old doo-wop dudes. they hate on hip-hop, disco, punk, funk, international/ethnic etc. so i usually do ok.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    my main competition is old doo-wop dudes. they hate on hip-hop, disco, punk, funk, international/ethnic etc. so i usually do ok.

having semi/clueless old men as competition is the best.

• have you ever heard those record or are you just hating? "pookeyBLOWS" "worst shit ever" blablabla is it better if stop using the word disco? Please dont tell me that the break aint nice...

what west indian?

• Both JFK's in one find- noice! Both are pretty essential stuff imho.

• Some dude must have given all of his country rock to the goodwill. I love goodwill because generally if you find one good thing you find a couple of the same genra.

Cat Mother and the All Night News Boys S/T
    Taste S/T
    Maggie Bell - Queen of the Night

a few from this weekend

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    that umiliani problemi d'oggi is on mp2000? i thought it was liuto?

by the way, awesome records as usual.

hello Salvin, no it's on sound-workshop and distributed in france by mp2000.

• Saturday:

Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay
    Freddie Hubbard - Blue Spirits
    Booker Ervin - The Song Book
    Art Blakey - A Night at Birdland Vol.2
    Milt Jackson & the Thelonious Monk Quintet

• "ahhh Jigsaw...RARE!!"

Does anyone remember the european(actually Danish) beat diggin documentary that was posted on here a while ago? I think it's godfather don who is trying to convince us that it's rare:)

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    greensboro/raliegh

• Options
    have you ever heard those record or are you just hating? "pookeyBLOWS" "worst shit ever" blablabla is it better if stop using the word disco? Please dont tell me that the break aint nice...

what west indian?

The break is so so, but I don't thing it warrants a "Killer Disco Boogie Funk!" comment. Again, this is just my opinion, but an educated one. Those dudes originate from French caribbean island (the name of whihc I can't recall at the moment). Had both the Lp and the 45 a couple times.

I apolgise for the Pookeyblows comment, but I try to lookout for my fellow soulstrut family and would not want them pushed in the wrong direction. There are musical elements that are appealing on the above records, but nothing that is complete IMO.

easy, k.

P.S. Does the word hate infer knowledge of what you're hating? I think so.

• t*m a mash up dem crates, everytime!

• that "rock blast" lp is fun...I've used that on several mixes for scratch dialogue, etc.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    that "rock blast" lp is fun...I've used that on several mixes for scratch dialogue, etc.

the dylan "sample" is pretty raw
    wtf
    i almost gave it a pass
    but after buying & playing
    2 or 3 other dealers want a cd-r

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    definitely BBQ in Greensboro. I feel like that is the only business that lines the streets.

What's that Chapparrals all about? looks cool. And the ITT next to it. ?????

And one last one: in the reggae pic, top row, last one on the right?

ok, no more questions.

Now jetset to utrecht.