weekend finds nov 11-nov13

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
not mind blowing, but not what I expected either. I got home from DJing at 4:30AM, my girl tells me there is an estate/warehouse sale at 8AM on Chelsea Ave. I get amped, Chelsea ave in the 50s and 60s was the record drag..lots of labels(Active, Chris) and recording studios(Meteor) on that strip back in the day. PLus when I arrived I ran into Jeff Evans and he tells me the building was the old plastic products building...its is where every SUN 45 was pressed and countless other labels, so we were hoiping for a miracle. It didnt happen, but found a couple cool ass African 45s:Sir Victor Uwaifo and his Melody Maestros "Okiekie/kokuko-kokuko-kokuko"(Philips)Dr. Nico Orchestre African Fiesta Sukisa "pol amewe/nazali semoba lina yo"(african) cool, haunting psych slide guitar stuff...I digothersChico Hamilton 7"EP (repretory) perhaps Eric Dolphy's first recording with Mr. Hamilton---dbl for tradeJudy Clay "It takes a lotta good love/you cant run away form your heart"(stax)I dont know why Ms. Clay's sides are so elusive here in Memphis...you can always find the Judy Clay/William Bell sides but not this one...good good stuff.Jimmy Nolen "Swinging Peter Gunn pts 1 and 2"(fidelity)part two is cool as hellworth only getting 3 hours of sleep I think, but now...I nap.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    from "my bed down wish list".

• from "my bed down wish list".

man, I lent that edgar froese to my neighbor back in Texas and never got it back...that is a cool ass headphone LP, recorded in some strange proto surround mode...

yeah, it's uber trippy. it even says in the gatefold they had some special dude do some special just for headphones stuff to it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    jaime brockett sux

jaime brockett sux

kinda.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Fania All Stars Vol. 2 LP at lunch today thanks to my favorite thrift shop.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are you feeling "My Thing"? If not, give it a few weeks crink, and those red/white flower print sheets will be purple satin.

Are you feeling "My Thing"? If not, give it a few weeks crink, and those red/white flower print sheets will be purple satin.

haha! definitely feelin' it.

• Jimi Hendrix - Second Time Around
    This is the mother of all budget Hendrix albums! One psych/funk instro. banger after another. Beastie Boys raer!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Ray Bryant Combo The Madison Time - Part I B/W Part II[/b] (Columbia)

Part of a project to own every record used in the movie Hairspray.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Ray Bryant Combo The Madison Time - Part I B/W Part II[/b] (Columbia)

Part of a project to own every record used in the movie Hairspray.

I met John Waters Wednesday night
    http://jesgrew.blogspot.com/2005/11/john-waters-is-very-nice-fellow.html

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ted Heath And His Music - The Big Ones[/b]
    THis is dope. Uber lounge versions of Light My Fire, Spinning Wheel, Satisfaction, Honkey Tonk Women, etc etc. This record is from germany so I can't read the liner notes, but this shit is a fucking winner. The treatment of honkey tonk women is so cheesily wonderful and bizarre you would have to hear it to beleive it.

Toni Bordoni (sings) Arranged and Conducted By Laurindo Almeida [/b]
    This has been sitting in the shop for a while, so I decided to finally give it a listen. Its odd, for sure, but the bossa version of Michelle made it worth picking up. The cover looks home made, with something like a flyer glued on to the cover. With a big name like Laurindo Almeida I'm suprised this shit was put together so cheap. Its even got this note on there:

Note to program directors and D.J.'s: This album is made of finest material if any decevt prevails - please return album to me (TONI) and I shall send one to replace same. [sic]

Thats nice of her.

The Turtles - The Battle Of The Bands [/b]
    ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME. and for only 4 dollars. I swear this has been a white whale of mine forever (get it?). This album is so awesome. The only songs I can do without are the title track and 'surfer dan'. THe rest are so awesome.

James Last - Classics Up To Date [/b]
    I'm a sucker for people who gave the 'now sound' to classical music. Back does jazz, chopin goes disco, etc etc. And as far as these types of records go this one is actually pretty damn good. no seriously... well ok, maybe its something only I can appreciate, but whatever.

Hugo Montenegro - Colours of Love [/b]
    Shockingly bad version of Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye with shockingly dope break.

Woody Herman - Light my fire [/b]
    Already got one, but for 4 bucks, why not own 2? I like woody herman. Everybody should own this record.

Woody Herman and friends - Monterey Jazz Festical 1979 [/b]
    I've never seen or heard of this one before. The version of Manteca isn't as classic as the OG, but its pretty enjoyable in its own way, and hey, it features Dizzy Gillespie on the trumpet, so its kinda like a remix. Caravan is kinda dope too.

Woody Herman - Thundering Herd[/b]
    I picked this up because of a song called Corazon, which is kinda dope. Other people might like the wah keyboard action on Bass Folk Song.

Earl Hines/ Budd Johnson: Linger Awhile [/b]
    Good jazz. I like the way this was engineered. Maybe its because it was 1979, but the bass is bangin. and i dont mean the bass drum. i mean the one that makes notes and stuff.

I might have to post up some MP3s later, but i get the feeling i'm the only one who gives a shit anyways.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i get the feeling i'm the only one who gives a shit anyways.

Not at all, I was just listening to Hugo Montenegro - Slaughter on 10th St. and thinking how dope it sounded. Will now look for my Ted Heath LP.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I hit my normal spot today with my 6 year old daughter. Needless to say, the digging was kind of tough. Plus the batteries on my portable died... Any other diggers attempt digging with small children? I'm cold and I'm hungry were the quotes of the morning. She's a trooper though. Scored some wax, so it was worth it.

Laid Back - keep smiling (sire)
    Roy Ayers Ubiquity - everybody loves the sunshine (polydor)
    Terry Callier - what color is love (cadet)
    Andy Montanez - una dimension desconocida (l.a.d.)
    Mongo Santamaria and Justo Betancourt - ubane (vaya)
    Catalyst - catalyst (cobblestone)
    ohio players - pain (westbound)
    George Benson - The other side of abbey road (cti/a&m)
    Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - The first minute of a new day (arista)
    kenny burrell - god bless the child (cti)

didn't have enough time to go thru more records because of the kinder. My vinyl fix is appeased for the moment.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    does he dig with you?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Haven't done one of these in a minute, but I said screw the car insurance and went on a bender - actually, nothing in here was more than $10, most of it was $2-4:

Frank Frost - S/T- Jewel - 1973[/b] early 70's reissue of stoopid-rare 1961 LP. Hot shit, that real schitt.

Tony Williams Lifetime - Turn It Over - Polydor[/b] the trio from Emergency!

adds Jack Bruce on bass, and kicks out the jams in a real loud way.

Ultimate Spinach - Behold & See - MGM [/b] worth having for $2

David McCallum - McCallum - Capitol[/b] Tell me again what David McCallum has to do with these records?? Anyway, Axlerod & Barnum produced EZ listening that has some really cool moments. The tracks that have drums? Nice. The tracks without? Pallid.

Jackson 5 - Goin' Back to Indiana - Motown [/b] Feelin' Alright is a mother. As is most of Side 2. Mint copy even has J5 inner sleeve with all kinds of shit you can order, including an opportunity to be Marlon's "Soul Mate."

Peanut Butter Conspiracy - For Children of All Ages - Challenge [/b] 1969 issue of pre-1967 recordings. Kind of better than the later stuff, with some nice horn charts on the early psych styles. Soulful.

Elmore James - Memorial Album - Sue UK 1963[/b] LP is trashed beyond belief but I grabbed at $2 just to have the cover, which is OG, minty and going on the wall.

Spider John Koerner - Spider Blues - Elektra[/b] I like this record.

Rusty Bryant - Wildfire - Prestige[/b] Idris Muhammad, Jimmy Ponder, Buddy Caldwell, Bill Mason, Ernest Reid fill out this 1972 session that sees them kind of fucking up a chance to blow up on the Doors' Riders on the Storm, but there are 3 solid, funky tracks on here, and the weaker tunes are covers of good songs, like the Doors one and Stevie Wonder's If You Really Love Me, so even those are bearable.

Elvis Presley - King Creole OST - RCA[/b] One of the only Presley LP's I was checking for, finally a cheap OG of this crosses my path. Really fun album with the NOLA theme throughout, classics like "Crawfish," "Trouble" and the title track.

Jean Fontaine - L'Etranger - London[/b] crazy-old looking French rockabilly record, from early 60's at the latest, maybe late 50's. Maybe worth hundreds of dollars, maybe worth no more than the $1.99 I paid for it. I'm giving it to my friend for Christmas either way. She likes French albums, and she likes rockabilly. I'm golden.

Gladys Knight & the Pips - All I Need is Time - Soul[/b] later release (1973) still with Motown, with some hot tracks like a cover of Sly Stone's "Thank You" & a couple of H.B.-Barnum-arranged numbers. People sleep on shit like this.

• FIONA APPLE ALBUM
    DELIA AND GAVEN ALBUM
    BEER TONIGHT
    BED NOW
    FREE VODKA THAT I WOULD HAVE PAID FOR
    DANCE MUSIC THAT WAS OKAY
    CANDY
    SO MUCH CANDY

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Ted Heath And His Music - The Big Ones[/b]
    THis is dope. Uber lounge versions of Light My Fire, Spinning Wheel, Satisfaction, Honkey Tonk Women, etc etc. This record is from germany so I can't read the liner notes, but this shit is a fucking winner. The treatment of honkey tonk women is so cheesily wonderful and bizarre you would have to hear it to beleive it.

I sold this one for cheap 7 years ago, thinking "if I want this again, I'll find it". Of course I haven't seen it since, and I am constantly reminded of my mistake.

Moldies[/b]:

The Keith Mansfield Orchestra - S/T
    Sly & The Family Stone - Life
    Gene Harris - Astral Signal
    Buddy Terry - Awareness
    Freddie McCoy - Peas'n'Rice
    Michael White's Magic Music Company - Go With The Flow
    Mighty Joe Hicks - S/T

Thanks to GamleOle for the trades.

Newbies[/b]:

My sleeping ass finally woke up to these guys:

Danish psychedelic stoner rock from 2001 (in a 1969 time capsule) featuring members from former incarnations of On Trial. The singer/multinstrumentalist Guf is now in Baby Woodrose. The group is called Spids N??genhat (psilocybin mushroom) and the titles are in the vein of 'Mit Psykedeliske Tapet' (My Psychedelic Carpet) and 'Hvad Har Du Taget?' (What Are You On?). Love this stuff. Check out a lo-rez mp3 from Orpheus Records here. Orpheus specializes in retro psych rock, both new and previously unissued old stuff, and are dedicated vinyl enthusiasts. Psych heads, check them out!

Also got the 'Cry Of Jazz' DVD featuring footage of Sun Ra and the 50's incarnation of The Arkestra. Nice. Had to order 'The Magic Sun' DVD as well straight away.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I have some Stan Tracey stuff on Steam that is really good. How's that one?

• I just won The Tams--" Hey Girl Don't Bother Me" 7" I found out it was number 1 in the UK the day I was born so I picked it up. Those kooky kids with their northern soul.

• I have some Stan Tracey stuff on Steam that is really good. How's that one?

Really moody - awesome stuff.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Slim pickins round hurr, but...

Last week and not this copy. $1.

"The Brain Of Oskar Panizza" clip

• Got a bunch of nice things today but by far the wildest was danser's inferno for 5 dollah (first pressing).

Do people like this? It's already been offered to finish up a trade, if not that, then it's hitting ebay...

• Not too much, but not too bad either -

Norman Giscombe "Hot up and Heated" 12"
    Larry Young "Into Something" Lp NY address - mono
    and one that had eluded me forever --
    Whole Darn Family "Seven minutes of..." 12"

At 23 bucks for all of 'em - not too shabby.

• stopped at a garage sale on the way into work...

Visitors- Neptune (cobblestone). this any good? i have a couple of their Muse lps which are aw-ight. i keep thinking they must have some fire somewhere.
    Monty Alexander- We've only just begun (mps)
    Wilson Pickett-Don't knock my love (atl)
    Chick Corea- sundance (groove merchant)

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Got a bunch of nice things today but by far the wildest was danser's inferno for 5 dollah (first pressing).

Do people like this? It's already been offered to finish up a trade, if not that, then it's hitting ebay...

i dont like you anymore