Keak Da Sneak - 3 Freaks ft. Turf Talk DJ Shadow??

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Its not like any of you folls are connected with the streets that love these guys anyway.

absofuckinglutely

well, not counting folks proximity to their monitors.

"but I got that internet connection dawg!"

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    TRUE SPEEK (hi jake)

PS..some late night photoshop fun

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Internet connection is real serious.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    TRUE SPEEK (hi jake)

• TRUE SPEEK (hi jake)

[/q

Man. I had a BAD hangover this morning. Did a bit too much connecting with the grey goose last night. You have a good time?

ha...yeah that shit was fun. Figured you were gonna be pretty lit by the way you were sippin on stage. I-tunes beat battles lol.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ha...yeah that shit was fun. Figured you were gonna be pretty lit by the way you were sippin on stage. I-tunes beat battles lol.

yo how did that go, or do we need another thread for that?

• ha...yeah that shit was fun. Figured you were gonna be pretty lit by the way you were sippin on stage. I-tunes beat battles lol.

Yeah we did it pretty big. It was some random ass people from hip hop's past backstage too. No way I was about to load up floppies again. That was way too stressfull. They wanted the ASR up there as a prop. The highlight from my trip was some of the crazy stuff the hommie JRocc hooked me up. "Misdemeanor" instrumentals and all type of bizzarre shit.

Yeah, we were all stunned when they brough out Prince-Po on stage. Too dope. Jake killed IMO.

• Yeah, we were all stunned when they brough out Prince-Po on stage. Too dope. Jake killed IMO.

Thanks man. Yeah its cool to hear the slaps at such a high volume. Buckshot was back there too. We saw him at Roscoes Friday with the Ill Caucasian.

• ha...yeah that shit was fun. Figured you were gonna be pretty lit by the way you were sippin on stage. I-tunes beat battles lol.

yo how did that go, or do we need another thread for that?

Shit was fun. My hommie shot some video up in there. I'll try to post some of it when I get it from him. It was a good turnout and suprisingly it seemed like a lot of girls were there.

suprisingly it seemed like a lot of girls were there.

I know!! I had yet to go to this kind of show in LA so I was expecting the usual sausage fest that I had seen in other cities but the girls repped hard. Finally got to meet DJ Therapy too...!!! Damn had to dodge the promo crown on the way out though. We ended up with 10 different flyers and a couple glossies.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    What makes it different from, say, A Trak producing the Diplomats, or Disco D working with 50 Cent ?
    It's not the first time a producer who already has a name by himself is working with a new artist.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    How come no one has mentioned Shadow's work with Paris before the whole Solesides thing? Can we put 3 pages before day break?

Well, how is the Shadow+Paris convo relevant to this discussion of new rap + regional styles?

I believe this will be a 5 pager in the morning.

Paris is from the bay area & has a sound/image you wouldn't likely associate with Dj Shadow. The guy has shown willingness in the past to work with bay area artists outside of his crew. What's so surprising that he made a record with keak or turf talk?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Song is dope but the hook is WACK

h

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    To be honest, exactly how big is the "hyphy bay rap" bandwagon?

go to the bay and ask that question.

just because you only read about it on blogs doesn't mean that it only exists on blogs. this shit is the pop music out there.

beyond the bay and the blogosphere, shit does not exist

Just wanted to pop my head in here to point out that the new XXL has a full page on Keak and a recent ROLLING STONE had a half-page on "Hyphy" (which they say is the name of this 'scene' BTW)

bye

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    What makes it different from, say, A Trak producing the Diplomats, or Disco D working with 50 Cent ?

nothing, i think both those match ups are kinda funny/unexpected. if five years ago you'd have told me shadow was making a record with the dude from 3x crazy and e-40's cousin i would've said 'huh?' and 'ha'. same as my initial response.

all i'm trying to do is discuss this phenomenon not attack shadows street credibility. maybe my use of the word bandwagon seemed malicious.

• LOLZERS BLUDS!!!!

I don't think anyone in this thread aside from Josh Bea and Jake One has much ground to stand on when talking about Bay rap.

Now, Noz, no offense (really) but when did you start listening/collecting to this stuff? My guess is after DJ Shadow. I find it odd that you see so much fault in what Shadow's doing. It's no more or less odd than you writing a blog about it (among other things), imo.

I grew up listening to a lot of Bay rap, because it is ubiquitous in the Bay, but I was way houser with mines and it would be a lie to say I was hellof into it.

As for a Booty Bass connection to Bay Area rap, man, I mean.... to quote Big Boi and bring this shit all together, "it's all about that tick tick followed by that bump."

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Oh my gosh, look at all these words!!

People, THis sucks. Badly. Nothing else to say!

Next!!!

• Oh my gosh, look at all these words!!

People, THis sucks. Badly. Nothing else to say!

Next!!!

B we're not talking about the music we're talking about the concept

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    You know, it's completely possible that Shadow didn't work with Bay Area "street" rappers in the past because he didn't have the oppurtunity to.

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You know, it's completely possible that Shadow didn't work with Bay Area "street" rappers in the past because he didn't have the oppurtunity to.

You're living a fantasy!

Why would they have declined the opportunity to work with the greatest producer in the history of hip-hop?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Now, Noz, no offense (really) but when did you start listening/collecting to this stuff? My guess is after DJ Shadow.

well in all fairness i was a thirteen year old in new jersey in 1996 (which i'm using as a bookmark as that's the time when endtroducing was released), that's a very a different position to be in than being a world renowned dj living in the bay area. perhaps if shadow was riding for this shit at that time kids like me would've gotten into it a lot earlier.

i'll be the first to tell you that i'm neither an expert or more credible than the next man when it comes to bay. yes, it's a regional scene whos music i find interesting as an outsider, but was never a part of. i don't think that makes me in no position to critique the goings on with in the scene as an informed outsider. it's no different than say, a bunch of white dudes geeked about funk or boogaloo or other shit recorded well before they were born.

and to answer your question, i got into this stuff probably ~4-5 years ago, which yes, i'm sure was a lot later than shadow was aware of it's existence.

I find it odd that you see so much fault in what Shadow's doing. It's no more or less odd than you writing a blog about it (among other things), imo.

well the sites been intended as a wideframe view of rap music from the jump and it would be down right negligent for me not to cover a scene as vibrant as the bay just because i'm not from there. i've been writing about bay rap (like you said among other things) for as long as i've had that blog up. if i was writing about blazing downtempo for eight years and one day was just like "hyphyhyphyhyphythizz" i don't think it'd be uncalled for that heads would be like "ha.. that's kinda funny", which is the extent of my critique on shadow.

and you don't think there's a big difference between writing about music and recording it? i mean feel free to put me in check when i release a record about real hood niggaz

As for a Booty Bass connection to Bay Area rap, man, I mean.... to quote Big Boi and bring this shit all together, "it's all about that tick tick followed by that bump."

yeah but it's a real tenuous connection. you could probably equally draw a similar line from, say, detroit techno to the current bay aesthetic. and it doesn't mean i won't be shocked if e-40 shows up on a derrick may record or something.

• if e-40 shows up on a lyrics born record or something.

• The only difference between Miami Bass & Detroit Techno as respects the Bay is that Miami Bass got a lot of play in the Bay Area whereas, as far as my ears know, Detroit Techno didn't.

So yeah i'm definitely saying "you had to be there" lol

• The only difference between Miami Bass & Detroit Techno as respects the Bay is that Miami Bass got a lot of play in the Bay Area whereas, as far as my ears know, Detroit Techno didn't.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but let's try to remember that this was a way more open minded and "innocent" (in terms of creative boundaries) era of rap music..

1)you know the label "techno-hop", right? investigate it if you've not checked it.. interesting

2)in LA they used to call "808 music" (let's just stick a global term on it) "LA Bass" or "techno Bass"

3)in other areas, "rap" was known as "techno"

Bottom line, there was no compartmentalisation back in the early 80s..

anyway, over, please continue, this is great fun.

and I don't like that tune.

maybe my use of the word bandwagon seemed malicious.

What, you mean unlike when "bandwagon" is used as a compliment?

I'm not trying to ride on you here but if people (including me) are barking at you, it's because bandwagon comes laden with a lot of meaning attached to it, none of it nice.

The only difference between Miami Bass & Detroit Techno as respects the Bay is that Miami Bass got a lot of play in the Bay Area whereas, as far as my ears know, Detroit Techno didn't.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but let's try to remember that this was a way more open minded and "innocent" (in terms of creative boundaries) era of rap music..

1)you know the label "techno-hop", right? investigate it if you've not checked it.. interesting

2)in LA they used to call "808 music" (let's just stick a global term on it) "LA Bass" or "techno Bass"

3)in other areas, "rap" was known as "techno"

For real - check out the World Class Wreckin Cru shit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    maybe my use of the word bandwagon seemed malicious.

What, you mean unlike when "bandwagon" is used as a compliment?

I'm not trying to ride on you here but if people (including me) are barking at you, it's because bandwagon comes laden with a lot of meaning attached to it, none of it nice.

Now, now, let's not get emotional like Jeezy hugging the block.

We are all on some hip-hop schitt and playfully insulting eachother is definitely permitted.

Poptarts.