Keak Da Sneak - 3 Freaks ft. Turf Talk DJ Shadow??

Comments

• Don't know if there are still doubters, but I just wanted to pop in and say that Shadow really did produce this, according to the industry insider that sent me the mp3 a few weeks ago.

I love the idea being purported in this thread that no one should ever change their musical direction or inclinations. It reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw a few years ago:

IF YOU'RE NOT STILL STRAIGHT-EDGE, YOU NEVER WERE.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

It was just one beer dude, alright, so fuck you!

• I think what Floss Hogg fails to mention is that right now the bay sound "is hot", so it just seems maaaaaaaaad suspect that the dude who has Thom Yorke's number on speed dial is now map questing directions to Macarthur Blvd with "Mill Valley" as his starting destination.

No one gave a schit that dude did beats for Cage (*blech*). I'm more fascinated at all the little dudes defending "like it's totally cool and rad to be down with rap music even though I use to hate that schit and got my pixie's 7 inch game on lock"

IMO:

I don't think he's jumping on the bandwagon, it's pretty obvious dude is a big collector of music in general and him having interests in the people in his area shoudn't be that crazy, but damn...why now[/b]? and is he still going to make blazing downtempo on the same album? Josh in oversized white t's?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Don't know if there are still doubters, but I just wanted to pop in and say that Shadow really did produce this, according to the industry insider that sent me the mp3 a few weeks ago.

I love the idea being purported in this thread that no one should ever change their musical direction or inclinations. It reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw a few years ago:

You seem to be conflating two different things, Ross:

All blazing downtempo artists should indeed struggle to redeem themselves.

However, this does not mean that indivduals of true taste should refrain from guffawing at these attempts at redemption.

• However, this does not mean that indivduals of true taste should refrain from guffawing at these attempts at redemption.

redemption though? Ouch....it's like his music shoudn't exist.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    so it just seems maaaaaaaaad suspect that the dude who has Thom Yorke's number on speed dial is now map questing directions to Macarthur Blvd with "Mill Valley" as his starting destination.

this shit is mad funny ...

i dont have anything to say. i like josh. hes got a nice rap collection from what ive seen (very very little). i didnt download the track to hear it but him making beats with local cats is like osamu working with local producers to put out gangster rap records in japan.

shit in the bay JUST HAPPENS.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I love the idea being purported in this thread that no one should ever change their musical direction or inclinations.

I agree with this 100%, but I think something that's more to the point of this particular conversation is that it's pretty clear that Shadow has been into all types of "regional rap" for years. I'm willing to bet he's been wanting to produce for Keak-type dudes for a long ass time, but either didn't have the funds to do it, didn't have the actual connections to make it happen, or these dudes simply didn't want to rap on his soft-ass beats.

The notion that Shadow is suddenly trying to capitalize on the relative success of the Bay sound is just unrealistic as far as I'm concerned.

Furthermore, I really like this song.

-e

• I think what Floss Hogg fails to mention is that right now the bay sound "is hot", so it just seems maaaaaaaaad suspect that the dude who has Thom Yorke's number on speed dial is now map questing directions to Macarthur Blvd with "Mill Valley" as his starting destination.

No one gave a schit that dude did beats for Cage (*blech*). I'm more fascinated at all the little dudes defending "like it's totally cool and rad to be down with rap music even though I use to hate that schit and got my pixie's 7 inch game on lock"

IMO:

I don't think he's jumping on the bandwagon, it's pretty obvious dude is a big collector of music in general and him having interests in the people in his area shoudn't be that crazy, but damn...why now[/b]? and is he still going to make blazing downtempo on the same album? Josh in oversized white t's?

Saying though dude, the bay sound isn't really hot anywhere except in the Bay (on the internets does not count).

DJ Shadow, as an artist, could've done a lot more lucrative things with his career than experiment with town shit... I don't think this is a cash-in at all, dude is just playing with something he likes.

And I'm saying though (further), none of us know what he was doing before his blazingdowntemposupremacy, or what he does (musically) in his spare time.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    By the way, I don't think the "new Bay" sound is remotely as "hot" as some Soulstrutters (and some bloggers) would have you believe. If Shadow were producing for some random Houston dudes, I think you'd have a better argument, but I think this is just a matter of Shadow attempting to "branch out" or something. Funny that one of Archaic's arch-enemy's (noz) is the one playing the role of authenticity police this time around, no?

-e

However, this does not mean that indivduals of true taste should refrain from guffawing at these attempts at redemption.

redemption though? Ouch....it's like his music shoudn't exist.

Oh damn... I spelled "individuals" wrong

Really, though, I'm just playing; I don't feel a way about anything that that guy does having nearly ten years ago consigned his work to the waste basket in my head labelled "not for people like me"

• So I think we can all agree ( ) that yes shadow is allowed by dudes on the internet to make bay rap, but just not good bay rap.

aaaaaaand we need Archaic

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fauxy,

Dude, I ain't catching feelings. I know Noz was joshing (pun intended) and so have I in reply to him.

I am saying though: you can't toss "bandwagon" out there and then try for a retraction on some, "oh, I meant bandwagon in the nice way."

maybe my use of the word bandwagon seemed malicious.

What, you mean unlike when "bandwagon" is used as a compliment?

I'm not trying to ride on you here but if people (including me) are barking at you, it's because bandwagon comes laden with a lot of meaning attached to it, none of it nice.

Now, now, let's not get emotional like Jeezy hugging the block.

We are all on some hip-hop schitt and playfully insulting eachother is definitely permitted.

Poptarts.

Fauxy,

Dude, I ain't catching feelings. I know Noz was joshing (pun intended) and so have I in reply to him.

I am saying though: you can't toss "bandwagon" out there and then try for a retraction on some, "oh, I meant bandwagon in the nice way."

"Bandwagon" is the nice way, though; "D**kriding" is the not-nice way.

• I don't think he's jumping on the bandwagon, it's pretty obvious dude is a big collector of music in general and him having interests in the people in his area shoudn't be that crazy, but damn...why now[/b]? and is he still going to make blazing downtempo on the same album? Josh in oversized white t's?

I wonder if the emo kids checked his "indie pass" at the toll gate when he did the radiohead thing..

hell, he must have got heckled by the new romantics for a lack of a "nu-wave pass" when he was cutting up depeche mode..

Guess "the new age private prog jazzers" still accept him tho'

• It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    it is amazing how things like this get way overthought.

That song is nice. It is nice to see Josh producing for people other than Quannum artists or Cage.

I like it because the other schitt he was doing was not cutting it(cept for Private Press).

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    it is amazing how things like this get way overthought.

My thoughts exactly.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

don't get it twited i never retracted my use of the word:

bandwagon[/b]
    function: noun
    " a popular party, faction, or cause that attracts growing support -- often used in such phrases as climb on the bandwagon; a current or fashionable trend"

seems about appropriate? at least within the bay. artists like shadow, zion i and casual have recently been engaging in the popular bay area rap styles, which differ dramatically from their prior body of work. is this because the sound is popular and they're trying to cash in? maybe, maybe not.

and emynd, i'm not trying to play archaic style authenticity police (as industry insiders are murmering, i i lack the credentials for such policing, and i'll leave that to the inevitable second coming of rasheed) i just find the phenomenon a little funny and unexpected[/b], like i've now said in about every post i've made in this thread.

do you fools read my posts or do you just skim through em!??

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Jeez. Lots of discussion. Okay, lemme listen to it one more time.....

Okay its definitely shadow. LIsten to how overly complicated he makes it. Id be all for this if it was good....but sadly, its not. Sounds like a crunk version of a lyrics born song or something.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    also to all counter credibility police industry types, plaese to consult last weeks sf weekly:

"Cocaine Blunts and Hip Hop Tapes" (www.cocaineblunts.com)

I>B>Having recently transplanted himself eastward/B>, DJ Noz maintains "Cocaine Blunts and Hip Hop Tapes," which profiles Yay Area artists and labels, offering temporary downloads of super-rare songs. In recent months, he's served up cassette-only tracks from Oakland rapper Too $hort's early days and delved into the years when New Orleans rap mogul Master P ran his No Limit record label out here in Richmond./I>

if it's in print it must be true. [color:white]i've lived on the east coast my entire life. i transplanted myself back eastward after a one week vacation. i'm not a dj either/FONT>

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

From my experience, trying to pigeonhole artists' musical tastes (that you have never really hung out with) based on their body of work is a bad move. Most artists that I have had the chance to talk with for extended periods of time have musical tastes and interests that are a hell of a lot more varied than I thought. I think part of the issue is we grow to identify an artist with their body of work not taking into consideration that even though he/she is successful at what they produce, that may not be their real interest, or that their interests extend far beyond the musical area they grew popular at.

I'm not defending Shadow as I have never had a talked to him and am not a close follower of everything he has done. However it does not seem out of place for a bay area local to get involved or remain involved in their scene even after they have blown up so to speak on one style. then again maybe he is trying to cash in before what he sees is a wave of popularity about to hit the bay area rap scene. Either way I hope it works out for them, I like the varied backgrounds and styles of different artists coming together to make music.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

do you fools read my posts or do you just skim through em!??

Dog, you used the judgment-laden phrase "funny sad," not just "hm, isn't that just so funny and unexpected!" Hattin'!

Doesn't Shadow sell way more records than these dudes anyway? I admit that I really have no idea how many units dudes like Turf and Keak are pushing. I'm sure they claim to be "platinum in the streets" like everyone else that's ever sold a cd from their trunk, but anybody got more specific numbers?

-e

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Dog, you used the judgment-laden phrase "funny sad," not just "hm, isn't that just so funny and unexpected!" Hattin'!

ha ha yeah i forgot about that, i guess you pulled my card.

i mean this when i say i had no intended malice in my initial post, it was just one of those off the cuff comments that doesn't really translate very well to internet speak.

i was thinking about the big picture and including casual and zion i in my head when i wrote that part. i was trying to say that it's sad that these artists don't feel that they cannot blow up (locally) on their own merits, as all of them are very good at what they do/did (some i like better than others). but i didn't articulate that well (or at all) by just saying "these underground dudes". sorry.

Doesn't Shadow sell way more records than these dudes anyway? I admit that I really have no idea how many units dudes like Turf and Keak are pushing. I'm sure they claim to be "platinum in the streets" like everyone else that's ever sold a cd from their trunk, but anybody got more specific numbers?

i think something has to be said for hometown hero status though. shadow may be the biggest dj in london or something, but i'm sure he would not mind that level of respect/adoration at home.

i don't have specific numbers, but i am curious as well.

i think something has to be said for hometown hero status though. shadow may be the biggest dj in london or something, but i'm sure he would not mind that level of respect/adoration at home.

i don't have specific numbers, but i am curious as well.

Yeah, it's not like Shadow would have as easy a time pulling up in Richmond and moving units out the back of his trunk. In the Haight, ok, sure...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Ok, what about Shadow working with David Banner? Is he a carpetbaggeur for that?

Ok, what about Shadow working with David Banner? Is he a carpetbaggeur for that?

If DJ Shadow started making reggaeton tracks, then you might have an argument on your hands.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

If DJ Shadow started making reggaeton tracks, then you might have an argument on your hands.

I would totally be down for that shit if and only if he did shoutouts in Spanish.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

short answer: probably

zion i

Some of the corniest rap schitt I have ever heard.

Dog

He took it to the gutter!