The 1st time you spent mad cake on a record

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm talking about more than, let's say for the sake of it, $40.The first time I spent dough on a record was in 2002.I bought a minty copy of Pete Jolly "Seasons" for well over $40 from Dan (LaserWolf) at Jump Jump Music. And I haven't looked back since...

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    where is laserwolf lately?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Steady B Ceerus remix. $60. Not ubber rare but well worth it. Right after I copped it on Ebay it showed up several times and I grabbed another copy for much less. Doesn't look like it's been on Ebay for a while.

• Laileh OST - $150 eons ago....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think the first time I spent what seemed like "mad cake" for a record it was like 1995 or 6 & I spent $35 for Bobby Calender "Rainbow". I was bummed. I don't care what AP says, that record fuckin' sucks!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    first time I spent major cakage was after I made some major cakage off of records.

I splurged and put $120 on that Food LP.

Then $200 and $300 was around the bend, after selling some stuff for $500 a popper.

There is no price limit, so long as I can sell shit for some high prices.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

There is no price limit, so long as I can sell shit for some high prices.
    Co-sign.

• prolly would be alvin cash's Twine Time on XL back in early 2003.

paid i think 75 USD.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    probably Heath Brothers Marchin On for $70. That was back in 99. Its sounds weird to say back in 99.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    $45 for Headless Heroes. Man, that seems like nothing right now, but back then I was struggling with it big time. Maybe I need to revert back to those days

DJ Ferrari

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    $45 for Headless Heroes.

• Cesar Mariano & Cia - Sao Paulo Brazil $92.50 on the Bay ($15 of that was for shipping from Brazil) I have yet to go over the $100 mark, but I don't think that will be true by the end of 2005.

• When I was nickle and diming I paid $20 for Minnie Ripperton's Come Into My Garden. Seemed like a lot at the time.

• My first big money drop was for:

Bad Medicine - Trespasser 45 OG M- shape.
    It was a good 120 bones, and worth every penny. I had dough at the time cause I sold some psych record and a Dysons Faces LP (oops).

• The very first one was 30 for a sealed Lyn Collins-Think About It at my first record show. The first time I went over 50 was probably Songs of Experience for like 65.

• first big purchase was axelrod's "songs of innocence" for fitty dollas.

• dropped $60 for:

and hated myself for like 6 months.

like B.I.G. said, Things done changed...

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    dropped $60 for:

Are there two different covers? The one I have he's drooped over the drum with his head hanging down and not looking so happy. Or is that just a picture of the back of the LP you have?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    dropped $60 for:

I would pay $60 for that right now.

• Honestly that seems like a lot now.

Does this routinely go for that much or more?

I have a couple of copies and I see the record all the time at thrift stores in VG/VG+ condition and better.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    first big purchase was axelrod's "songs of innocence" for fitty dollas.

Axelrod was like the de-virginizer of cheapness for many a young record digger.

My first big purchase was a sealed copy of the Auction for $40 back in 2000

• I rarely see it with the die-cut David or in good shape.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I heard this had made breakbeat raers on it so I balled out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've only spent over 40 dollars for a record during the heatrock auctions. The only time I've needed too.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    40 bucks for an Awakening on black jazz lp from tripledouble a few years back.

• I don't believe I have broken my $40 cherry yet (well once, but it was something I was just buying to re-sell). Lots of stuff in the $30-$40 range through. Maybe a copy of Hook And Sling was the first record I spent $25 on?

• The first time was fairly early on in my career. I took one of those 50 dollar chances on a Paul Humphrey and Cool Aid Chemists. I knew nothing then but thought I really couldnt be that wrong on a record where the Artist is selling his own "How to play soul drums" book on the back.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I can't remember when I first broke $100 but I do remember spending $125 to buy an OG copy of the Kashmere Stage Band's "Out of Gas But Still Burnin'". Looking back now, that shit seemed like a bargain considering that it's going for well over $250 these days.

Up until recently, that's the most cash I've ever paid out for a record, though I recently jumped up to $175 for a record and these days, I'll drop $100 on something with only minimal deliberation if I think it's worth it.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    You're not got gonna catch me buying any $40 records, but the first time I dropped major $ on a lot of records was in 2000 when my friend and I spent just over $100 a piece to split up a huge collection of choice unplayed rap radio promos (all the early DITC shit, KMD, Kurious, Nonce, etc. etc) from the early to mid 90s. It seemed beyond us at the time to pay an extra $50 each to take away the whole lot- which we didn't- but I think we probably only missed out on a handful of lesser joints as a result, so I'm not sweating it.

• The first time was fairly early on in my career. I took one of those 50 dollar chances on a Paul Humphrey and Cool Aid Chemists. I knew nothing then but thought I really couldnt be that wrong on a record where the Artist is selling his own "How to play soul drums" book on the back.

I didn't spend $ on it, but I was excited the first time I saw the cover for "supermellow".

Then I heard it.

• a while back i heard i was getting a small inheritance from an aunt who passed away in South America. due to international bureaucracy i had to visit the Consulate in NYC in order to expedite the process. so i did.
    about 1.5 - 2 years later, after i had given up on ever seeing the $$, i finally got the check. It wasn't life changing money or anything, but i decided to splurge on the LP topping my list at the time: Gal Costa Tuareg. cost me ~$40 i think.

Funny thing is, a few months later i somehow got another check from the same inheritance, apparently they had underestimated the $$ she had or something (i dunno). I bought a sealed Sagittarius by Frank Cunimondo for $75*

*sad part is, this and other Cunimondos used to be everywhere here in Pittsburgh back in the day, and i never bought them (see records you regret not buying thread.)

almost 5:00 yet?

p.s. records-only day RULES!!!