The 1st time you spent mad cake on a record

Comments

• The first time was fairly early on in my career. I took one of those 50 dollar chances on a Paul Humphrey and Cool Aid Chemists. I knew nothing then but thought I really couldnt be that wrong on a record where the Artist is selling his own "How to play soul drums" book on the back.

I didn't spend $ on it, but I was excited the first time I saw the cover for "supermellow".

Then I heard it.

I know, that was SO dissapointing!!! I spent like 30 on it, I think. UGH!

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    I broke $100 to scoop a copy of a)History of Melody Nelson and b)Sweet Charles for like $125 each.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

$50 on the monster freakbeat 45 by The Attack - Anymore Than I Do.

Then I went to the next record dealer at the show and found a copy for $25, which was bought and quickly traded.

• soul and sunshine was the 1st on ebay. chosen few, what else? helen white. not mad cake though, just cake batter.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Totally off subject, but still record related... I like your avatar djr. Good old Funk City Records. Any other releases than Xplosions - Tell me Face to Face?

DJ Ferrari

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I paid $50 for this a couple years back. It was a Christmas gift for somebody else, which justified the expense at the time. I would pay the same for a second copy for myself. Since then I've dropped $40 a couple of times on myself, but that's pretty much it. Most I ever spent for a 45 was $25.

• RYPYRYPY 7 Posts
    Just last month $64 on Marcos Valle - Samba '68 and $63 on Mary Lou Williams - Black Christ Of The Andes

Both ebay purchases bought on the same day - which i've just realised. Must of thought i was rich that day.

edit....thats not true the most was on The Gap Mangione Trio - Diana In The Autumn Wind 45 - $70 bought right here on this board from Drewn during Heatrock.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I couldn??t pass a near mint copy of

for US$60.

Last one was Uni??o Black for $85.

Need to upgrade to marcofunk??s level???, though.

Peace

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For real...I've found that once you pass your pricing ceiling, it just keeps stepping up from there...not necessarily rapidly but over the course of say, five years, it's quite easy to see one's pricing ceiling double or triple in height. Once you pass, say, that $100 bar, it becomes easier to do it again the next time and so far.

The thing is: I'm all for hustling for good records on the cheap but if you're serious about elevating your collection from Lil Dude to Medium Dude to Big Dude, there's just no way you can do it without coming out of your pocket now and then.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1st time I spent $40 on a record was a copy of David Axelrod's "Seriously Deep." The one and only time I've spent a $100 on a record was on a trip to Chicago when I found a copy of Parliament's Osmium at Dusty Groove for $99.99. Didn't hesitate. I've bid over $100 on eBay auctions but never won

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    The thing is: I'm all for hustling for good records on the cheap but if you're serious about elevating your collection from Lil Dude to Medium Dude to Big Dude, there's just no way you can do it without coming out of your pocket now and then.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's the justification I try and give people when they give me a hard time for dropping loot on records.

DJ Ferrari

The other thing too...and I've said this many times before...is that people will drop loot on all sorts of things: a good meal, clothes, a night out drinking with friends, etc. that easily surpasses what one might spend for a record that, if it's the right one, will easily outlast the memory of the other purchased items. That being true, I never understand why people set what I'd consider artificially low price ceilings for themselves. It's not my place to judge folks on their spending habits but seriously, it cost me and my wife at least $100 to go out to dinner and a movie the other night between babysitter, dinner, gas and movie costs and while I certainly did enjoy "The 40 Year Old Virgin", I'm pretty sure that same $100+, as applied to a record, would have lasted me a lot longer.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's the justification I try and give people when they give me a hard time for dropping loot on records.

DJ Ferrari

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    The other thing too...and I've said this many times before...is that people will drop loot on all sorts of things: a good meal, clothes, a night out drinking with friends, etc. that easily surpasses what one might spend for a record that, if it's the right one, will easily outlast the memory of the other purchased items. That being true, I never understand why people set what I'd consider artificially low price ceilings for themselves. It's not my place to judge folks on their spending habits but seriously, it cost me and my wife at least $100 to go out to dinner and a movie the other night between babysitter, dinner, gas and movie costs and while I certainly did enjoy "The 40 Year Old Virgin", I'm pretty sure that same $100+, as applied to a record, would have lasted me a lot longer.

SEVER ALL TIES TO OUTSIDE LIFE. DEDICATE SELF SOLELY TO RECORD ACCUMULATION!

i'm debating whether to stay at work overtime just to peep all the strut overload that's been going on today (aka severing all ties...), but the weekend calls.
    peas i'm out.

SEVER ALL TIES TO OUTSIDE LIFE. DEDICATE SELF SOLELY TO RECORD ACCUMULATION!

Naw mang...I'm saying, if you're gonna drop bread on stuff outside of records, why not drop bread for records?

• Options
    For real...I've found that once you pass your pricing ceiling, it just keeps stepping up from there...not necessarily rapidly but over the course of say, five years, it's quite easy to see one's pricing ceiling double or triple in height. Once you pass, say, that $100 bar, it becomes easier to do it again the next time and so far.

I agree with this, I never thought I'd spend more than 50 for a record. Then one day I splurged to 70, then it was 90, then a few months ago it was maybe 130 for something, then the heatrock auction came along...

Same thing happened with sneakers though. I used to say I would never go over a hundred for a pair, now it's a treat if I can score something good for under a bill and I'm routinely shelling out 150-300 for pairs. Just so they can sit in a box for a few years before I'm ready to wear them.

That's how it is with anything money-related. Once you hit a certain level, it's not such a big deal to operate at that level anymore and you look higher. Vicious cycle.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That's how it is with anything money-related. Once you hit a certain level, it's not such a big deal to operate at that level anymore and you look higher. Vicious cycle.

hey drug abuse works the same way

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

RECORDS ARE DRUGS

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

RECORDS ARE DRUGS

DRUGS ARE RECORDS!

• it's not such a big deal

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    First record I went $100+ on was Capprells "Close Your Eyes" 45. After that it became a lot easier.

I've bid $300-$400+ on records and haven't won them.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Well I'm posting on here because I just spent mad cake on a record, for the first time! Clicky!

This shatters my previous high on like $76 for an OG pressing of Out to Lunch. I'm a little stunned right now that I just spent that much on a record, but I've recently sold some stuff on ebay that I got for cheap so out of pocket it's really less than $100.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Remigio Ducros: America Giovane

I laid down for this obscuro Italian library cuz it had a couple of righteous funk tracks and a fairly bomb-ass cover. The funny part is I've played it like, twice

Well I'm posting on here because I just spent mad cake on a record, for the first time! Clicky!

We also have a near mint copy of the even scarcer Joe McPhee recording Trinity.

It didn't meet the reserve - GO FOR IT!

• $440 for:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

NEED SLEEVE 4 ALICE CLARK ON MAINSTREAM!!!

FUK A SLEAVE!!! CUZTOMISE DAT CRACK!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    NEED SLEEVE 4 ALICE CLARK ON MAINSTREAM!!!

FUK A SLEAVE!!! CUZTOMISE DAT CRACK!!!

• Well I'm posting on here because I just spent mad cake on a record, for the first time! Clicky!

We also have a near mint copy of the even scarcer Joe McPhee recording Trinity.

It didn't meet the reserve - GO FOR IT!

damn...'ionization'?? that McPhee shit looks surrrious

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Trinity is a great great record. I got a mint copy for $40 buy it now awhile back.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts