PICTURES

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Okay, as requested a number of times... more old school flickery from the Phill Most photo albums.

A young boyish Philly Phill MC (about 75 lbs. lighter than today) and DJ Master Rob, 1984

Phill & Rob in their "Hornit & Kato" masks, 1984. We were NYC area transplants, straight up b-boy cats, who were living in Harrisburg, PA. At this time places like Harrisburg knew almost NOTHING about hip hop, so we made it our mission to introduce the citizens to our culture. One part of our mission was to TOTALLY bomb the city with graffiti. We would go out at night wearing our masks and all-black karate suits, riding these old-ass bikes while carrying bags full of spray paint. Before long you saw "HORNIT" and "KATO" almost everywhere you went in Harrisburg. We actually wreaked so much havoc that our reign of terror made the front page of the city paper! One note, though- I made sure that we never hit up any private homes or people's cars or anything. Vandals with a heart, for sure.

Phill w/ box, 1984. The boombox shown in the previous picture got dissed at a couple of breakdance battles ("Yo homes, your box is weak!"). So I made it a point to get the most powerful box in existence, so that no one would EVER be able to dis again. This is the legendary Conion joint (this actually might be the Helix model, forget... same thing, though) with the alarm on it. The skinny arms seen in this pic definitely began to bulk up a little after lugging this monstrosity around for miles everyday.

Phill & Rob on the mic and wheels, 1984.

Thugged out young Phill, 1984.

Phill in front of "Fresh" piece, 1984. This was my 1st large piece and I was still learning, so please excuse the wack letter styles. We had gotten so bold that we did this piece in broad daylight on a busy, heavily trafficked street. The cops even stopped and came over to ask us what we were up to... we said we were painting a mural and had permission to do it, and just continued spraying right in front of the cops! (Of course we had no such permission.) But I really posted this pic to show this...

I tried to blow up the footwear as much as possible... I don't know if you can see it good, but check out the shelltoe Adidas ya boy is rocking in this pic. Yes, I was remixing the kicks back in 1984, dog! Grey on white... so coordinated with the grey Lees and white / grey Le Tigre. It was not a game BITD, mane.

Windmills in karate suits, 1984.

DJ Master Rob cold gettin' paid, 1984.

Rob with jacket I hooked up for him, 1984.

Ninja please. Philly Phill with Shorty Rock and Tazzie D, 1984. The world's first Kung Fu Hip Hop Pimp. Chuuuch...

As seen on that World Of Beats v2.0 blog... cassettes, 1984.

More cassettes, 1984. I did artwork like this on the labels of some of my old octopus breakbeat records (the OG UBB joints) too.

Before we say adios to 1984, I gotta give a shout to my man MC Dazz from Do Or Die Bedstuy, Brooklyn NY. Together we were the Sureshot 2 MCs, and for a short time in 1984 we ripped parties along with DJ Master Rob and DJ Jazzy Jay-Rock (aka Jollirock). Not long after this pic was taken, we lost touch with Dazz... heard he'd gone back to Brooklyn but never really knew the deal. Found out later he got knocked on some serious charges and has been incarcerated ever since, almost 20 years now. We still don't know what he could've done to get such serious time- he was a street kid, but we never knew him to be into anything that would get him a severe sentence like that. Anyway, I thought I'd post audio of the only tape I still have of MC Dazz, a practice tape we did in my crib in 1984. I think this is also the earliest tape I have of me rhyming... I had just started rapping in front of people.
Sureshot 2 MCs- MC Dazz, Phantastic Philly Phill MC & DJ Master Rob

Just a couple from the Phill Most Chill era... here I am at the Ruffhouse studios (I think called Studio 4 back then) in a recording session with Joe "The Butcher" Nicolo, 1988. We actually did a studio version of "On Tempo Jack" with Joe The Butcher! I wasn't happy with the outcome, though, so we never did anything with it. I looked happy as hell in this pic, though! (Close yo mouth, foll.) You gotta love the Louie Vuitton pouch.

Oh lawd, here we go... the native tongue era. Phill Most Chill in the studio recording the song "Woman To Woman" (as heard on the Jollirock The Black Prince ep... random rap headz know the deal), 1989. I also recorded two other unreleased songs at this sesion, "Damage" and "On The Hype Tip".

Last but not least, my favorite pic EVAR- My brother Cool Out C and I chillin' with our grandmother (who passed away this past summer), 1988. Mom Mom was mad cool and down to ride for the In Effect Posse fa sho! By the way, Raystar, that is NOT a Mickey Mouse shirt I am rocking in this pic, it's an Adidas. But trust me, I had my Mickey Mouse schitt too! Even a colorful Donald Duck nightshirt thing that cats actualy used to wear on the skreets... i wore it once, came to my senses and gave that schitt to my girl.

Anyway, hope y'all get a kick out of my little time machine return to the dayz of wayback. Don't worry... believe it or not, I actually am not still stuck back there. But it's cool to revisit those days sometimes, what can I say. I reminisce, I reminisce....

Comments

• Nice! Those cassetes are DOPE!

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

Anyway, hope y'all get a kick out of my little time machine return to the dayz of wayback. Don't worry... believe it or not, I actually am not still stuck back there. But it's cool to revisit those days sometimes, what can I say. I reminisce, I reminisce....
    Absolutely amazing Phill. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Just a couple from the Phill Most Chill era... here I am at the Ruffhouse studios (I think called Studio 4 back then) in a recording session with Joe "The Butcher" Nicolo, 1988. We actually did a studio version of "On Tempo Jack" with Joe The Butcher! I wasn't happy with the outcome, though, so we never did anything with it. I looked happy as hell in this pic, though! (Close yo mouth, foll.) You gotta love the Louie Vuitton pouch.
    On a small world related note, Joe Nicolo's son (T***r) is following in his dad's footsteps and produces and records in a garage converted into a recording studio somewhere in the woods in Montgomery County. Don't know too much about his Dad, but dude is good people.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Amazing Phil! I love seeing and reading shit like this!

You are going to have a pm in a little bit with some musical goodies in it.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Amazing!!!
    Thanks Phill.

• this stuff is amazing, and that audio is tight! I wish more MCs could partyrock like that still at first I read "Cool Out C" as "Cool C" and was like, wait, Cool C and Phil Most Chill are brothers?....

thanks for putting this stuff up Phil!!!

kung fu suits!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

these pictures are great

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

these pictures are great

LOL @ your avatar. Nice!

Phil, feelin your remixes man.
    Peace.

http://worldofbeatsv2.blogspot.com/

Bapt

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    nice man, always coming with the goods.

• legendlegend 124 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    That "Biters in the City" illustration is SO DOPE!

Nice photos Phill. Lovin' the one with Grams, as well.

Classic.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    WOW. those are great! thanks for posting this.

• Dope Pic Phill.

My old roomate works at the butcher bros. studio.

• This is fucking great.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This is fucking great.

• Hot damn, that is awesome man. Loving it.
    I'm so glad you give a monkeys enough to share. Fascinating.
    So historically important & personal.
    Not many of you blokes are still in there so deeply & generous with your time & knowledge.
    Good shit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    that's some wax poetics shit right there... between this and the biz thread, i feel like x-mas morning/7yrs old.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Phil, these are DEF!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    if we had like 10 phill most's on this board i dont think i would be able to turn off my computer ever... once again

• One question what is a mule barge ride? And why would one want to purchas snacks anywhere near it?

One question what is a mule barge ride? And why would one want to purchas snacks anywhere near it?

ha! i was wondering that same thing

• One question what is a mule barge ride? And why would one want to purchas snacks anywhere near it?

I found the answer to my first question with a goolge search, but still not sure about the snack.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn Phill! "Time machine" like Chocolate Milk! The pictures and stories are SO dope. Brings back a lot of memories of the 80s for an old dude like myself. LOL.
    Thank you for being the elder statesman of old school hip-hop and posting great things like this on the board for everyone to enjoy. The karate suits are RIDICULOUS! We used to buy those with the matching "karate" shoes in Seattle Chinatown. Out here on the politically correct West coast we called them kung-fu suits and kung-fu shoes!

This picture is

that poor mule

• these pics are DOPE - contender for best Phill Most thread EVER.

looking forward to the "freestylin with pmc" 12".

peace

RD

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Thanks Phill. Thank you for all you've done for hip hop (and beat-digging)!!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    soulman. you rule.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Ninja please. Philly Phill with Shorty Rock and Tazzie D, 1984. The world's first Kung Fu Hip Hop Pimp. Chuuuch...

PHILLY PHILL - thanks for sharing

"all you sucker mcs out there don't you bite,
    cuz our routines are so fresh,
    we'll make them last all damn night,
    you sexy girls! hooooo!"

the singing is

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    if we had like 10 phill most's on this board i dont think i would be able to turn off my computer ever... once again

what he said

• dayday 9,612 Posts

what he said

what they said

As usual hommie, you're