how important is dj skillz when you play live

124»

Comments

• as davidwingate said in an earlier post; i believe a great deejay can combine their rarer, more eccentric pieces of music with their more accesible party music to both enlighten and move a crowd.
    i can still enjoy a dj that simply selects his/her music - in fact a fellow dj partner of mine does just that - but have always prefered to be challenged by a melding of both skill and selection.

the primary mechanics of deejaying require more skill than some realize. for instance, some deejays have no clue how to equalize from song to song. i have heard only a handful, maybe 3 or 4 who display this skill (ie: realizing the inherent differnces in vintage vinyl recordings and adapting to them)
    in truth, most deejays could care less about this, let alone the pitch, structure and
    full body of a piece of music.
    it never fails that the most highly recognized deejays in the world, gain there success on the back of their ability to mix perfectly quantized, similarily eq'ued/mastered music. a clone of a clone of a clone.
    this more than anything else, pisses me off to no end!

i would love to see how some of these superstar deejays would transition from say joni mitchell to koop...i can only imagine the calamity!

your favorite deejay snob
    general eclectic

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    how important is dj skillz when you play live
    "obviously not a dj"

• per0per0 153 Posts
    I gotta say not particularly, but you do need a good idea of what works. I beatmix nothing or nearly nothing, but knowing your records helps. I'm all about good music to move yo butt.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    as davidwingate said in an earlier post; i believe a great deejay can combine their rarer, more eccentric pieces of music with their more accesible party music to both enlighten and move a crowd.
    i can still enjoy a dj that simply selects his/her music - in fact a fellow dj partner of mine does just that - but have always prefered to be challenged by a melding of both skill and selection.

the primary mechanics of deejaying require more skill than some realize. for instance, some deejays have no clue how to equalize from song to song. i have heard only a handful, maybe 3 or 4 who display this skill (ie: realizing the inherent differnces in vintage vinyl recordings and adapting to them)
    in truth, most deejays could care less about this, let alone the pitch, structure and
    full body of a piece of music.
    it never fails that the most highly recognized deejays in the world, gain there success on the back of their ability to mix perfectly quantized, similarily eq'ued/mastered music. a clone of a clone of a clone.
    this more than anything else, pisses me off to no end!

i would love to see how some of these superstar deejays would transition from say joni mitchell to koop...i can only imagine the calamity!

your favorite deejay snob
    general eclectic

save for the last two paragraphs, i don't really understand what you're saying, but i do love dancing while i play records. but you already knew this.

THE DJ HAS TO BE ABLE TO DANCE TOO.

• i just meant that most deejays have difficulty using the basic bass/midrange/treble eq's on a mixer. like seguing from old records to new records, a good deejay would know how to manipulate these controls so that during the transition(be it beat match, simple cross fade, whatever), the two records coalesce in harmony w/ one another.
    the other stuff about pitch and structure was referring to most deejays lacking of the basic knowledge of popular music song structure and arrangement that would greatly aid in being able to pull off a creative mix of music.

and yes, if a deejay's aim is to make people dance, and they themselves have no clue what makes them dance, then they are at a great misfortune. i would not like to be in their shoes!

oh yeah ms. bassie, we know you move w/ the music...that is your trademark when behind the decks!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have no right to be here. Obviously.