how important is dj skillz when you play live

Comments

• if you are doing what you are supposed to, each transition should get a crowd reaction like "ohhhhh" or something to that effect.

We clearly do not attend the same parties.... the crowd goes "oohhhhhhh" when you drop the dope jam not because you executed your cuts on point player.

this thread is lame

• I heart DJing. Arguing about DJing, hatting on DJ's who do this or don't do that, etc. not so fun. Who cares. You like what you like.

• I heart DJing. Arguing about DJing, hatting on DJ's who do this or don't do that, etc. not so fun. Who cares. You like what you like.

DONT GET STOLED ON.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I heart DJing. Arguing about DJing, hatting on DJ's who do this or don't do that, etc. not so fun. Who cares. You like what you like.

Sounds like somebody who doesn't get an "ohhhhh" on each transition to me.

Sounds like somebody who doesn't worry about it too much.

• Sounds like somebody who gets a YEEE! YEEE! YEEE! on each transition to me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    why is this thread so lame?

i'm so out of touch with the struts.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    next time i get an "oooohhhh", i think i will rewind not one, but both records in order to duplicate the blend and pump the party up an extra notch

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i don't mind the cute drunk girl bumping the decks as much though, cause after the first time i just stick my hand out whenever she gets too close to bumping the decks again and cop a cheap perv feel.

Last saturday a drunk girl came up to the decks several times asking for this and that. Her motor skills were decreasing, and I told her to just relax and enjoy the music, because she was starting to get real pushy and I could feel that she was about to stumble into the decks. Sure enough she did just that, needle doing that nasty 'RRRRRRRRTCH' slide across the record. Then she had the nerve to stand there with a sheepish grin saying

"Hey that sounded pretty cool!"

I'm usually very courteous even with the most annoying hecklers, but I to cuss her out real bad.

On-topic: I prefer listening to tasteful selections with basic blends than a whole lot of showing off skills you don't really have. I'm not a scratch dj, I have very basic mixing skills, but I do know how to keep the music moving seamlessly on most nights (i.e. when I'm not too drunk). If you got the skills, use them according to the situation. It can be fun to do some quick mixing here and there, but if the track is more than just a 30 second schnappet, let it ride until whenever a break feels natural. Some dudes are way too jumpy in their mixing, just because they feel they have to do 'something'.

One of the things I feel is very important as well, is that the DJ has to look like he's enjoying himself. THE DJ HAS TO BE ABLE TO DANCE TOO. Don't just stand there looking like Kraftwerk, it's a party for christ's sake! I'm not saying you have to moonwalk across the dancefloor everytime you throw on a record, just move a little somethin'. The crowd will be more receptive, and you will scare off potential hecklers, because they can't come with the old "play something we can dance to" routine. One time I was playing 'Yellow Fever' by Fela, and this girl came up asking "How do I dance to that". She wasn't being rude at all, just kind of baffled by a kind of music she hadn't heard before. So I grab her and take her out on the dancefloor showing her my best (not necessarily good, but hey???) and little by little I get the whole crowd feeling it, going into a trance. "Yellow Fever" is a long ass track (20 mins?), and after that they were like putty in my hands. I got to play all kinds of crazy shit, and it was a real good night.

Play tastefully, play for the girls and fuck that hawd shit.

• I fear my wife's reaction on each transition.

• If skillz didn't matter a lot of DJs would be out of a job right now, because shady club owners would be killing ITunes and downloading this week's hottest tracks then having a monkey sequence the bountiful selection.

In my opinion here's what I thinks matters (in order of priority):

1. Having a good selection music (not necessarily deep crates but having bona fide crowd pleasers of both today???s hot joints and yesteryear???s forgotten proven heat.)
    2. Displaying a better than average turntable ability (gotta be better than the average dude walking off the street; a dude don???t hear you do some s#it that he can do himself.)
    3. Knowing how to READ THE CROWD.
    4. Being able to convey your personality through the way you drop each joint (i.e. Primo would drop ???Full Clip??? differently than say J-Rocc, but one would expect both would be able to excite the crowd equally.)
    5. Always being seen with a fly honey after the jam???s done. A DJ can always get a good piece of trim after rocking the party. A DJ that can???t scoop a few ladies probably wasn???t good selecta to begin with.

Bring on the Hate

-----------
    Edit Dat DeejaY

• why is this thread so lame?

i'm so out of touch with the struts.

probably because in the short one year I've been a member, this is at least the 3rd time we've had a conversation similar to this. And it never fails to be an exercise in relativity.

Happy Wedding by the way!

thanks.

i'm surprised old headz need to run up in here sayin it's lame. you know?

these threads have to happen every now and then. it ain't no thing.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm a pretty good dj.

I'm a pretty good dj.

yeah, but do you drink?

BTW--are you nicotine free?

• thanks.

i'm surprised old headz need to run up in here sayin it's lame. you know?

these threads have to happen every now and then. it ain't no thing.

slow day at work...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm a pretty good dj.

yeah, but do you drink?

BTW--are you nicotine free?

yes, and no.

One of these days I'll be able to sing

I've got the power hey yeah heh
    I've got the power
    Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh yeah-eah-eah-eah-eah-eah
    I've got the power
    Gettin' kinda heavy

It's gettin' it's gettin' it's gettin' kinda hectic

Like the crack of the whip I snap attack
    Front to back in this thing called rap
    Dig it like a shovel rhyme devil
    On a heavenly level
    Bang the bass turn up the treble
    Radical mind day and night all the time
    Seven to fourteen wise divine
    Maniac brainiac winning the game
    I'm the lyrical Jesse James

I've got the power
    Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh yeah
    Gettin' kinda heavy
    I've got the power

It's gettin' it's gettin' it's gettin' kinda heavy

I've got the power
    He's gonna break my heart
    He's gonna break my heart of hearts
    He's got the power oh-oh-oh-oh

I've got the power
    I've got the power

Quality I possess something I'm fresh
    When my voice goes through the rest
    Of the microphone that I am holdin'
    Copywritten lyrics so they can't be stolen
    If they are snap
    Don't need the police to try to save them
    Your voice will sink so please stay off my back
    Or I will attack and you don't want that

I've got the power

I've got the power

I've got the power

yes, and no.

i feel you holmes. it's a deep fucking hook.

steps out for a smoke

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    yes, and no.

i feel you holmes. it's a deep fucking hook.

steps out for a smoke

Telling me, holmes.

But I did get my fresh new T in the mail today:

Oh yeah, and I suck as a DJ. Happily B-Listed.

• THE DJ HAS TO BE ABLE TO DANCE TOO.

supergreg style

THE DJ HAS TO BE ABLE TO DANCE TOO.

supergreg style

Supergreg is creepy. What's up with that manic look on his face? He's got some crazy routines, though:

http://www.talonse.com/supergreg.swf

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'd rather listen to a DJ that played a great selection but couldn't mix, than a DJ with amazing skills who plays a wack selection, ANYDAY.

are you serious? listening to trainwrecks, song after song, gets old quick and kills dancefloors. plus girls aren't impressed with wackness.

there is a middle ground - some dudes blend between songs that are similar enough to keep the dancefloor going, but not exactly BPM'd or whatever.

The most boring shit is a safe ass DJ who has everything BPMd plays nothing new has standard cuts and wellpracticed blends. The most exciting shit is a dude with deep crates who has a basic knowledge of mixing and blending, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Cutting can be cool but that's like the icing on the cake. I go to hear music, not technique.

JP, you just made a DJ who is trying to improve his skills very happy.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I go to hear music, not technique.

Amen to that.

amen to the middle ground.

amen to that[/b]

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

supergreg style

Supergreg is creepy. What's up with that manic look on his face? He's got some crazy routines, though:

He's got the Al B. Sure unabrow stizzy on lock.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    number 1.

i need that animated gif...can anyone help a brotha out?

• Yo, I have to whole-heartedly agree with you. I ain't the illest on the turntables..far from it, but I appreciate the art of it! I don't know where you are from, but I have djed many a places and let me tell you..you have to feel that crowd number#1 and be easy and comfortable. Skills and selection go hand to hand in my book. What most of you guys are talking about is selectors versus a dj. The diff. is a selector many times has a dope selection to pick from while a dj has the skills. Combine those two together and you have a REAL DJ!!! I mean anyone can display their super rare gems. Or anyone can play all the ill party joints from michael jackson, but it is how you mix and blend them that makes the crowd really get open. It's crazy to have the crowd not wanna leave the club(like what happened to kon and i in hamburg last year) cause they cannot get enough of you working them into a frenzy. Basically, djing is the art of moving butts!! Not the art of displaying who has the illest records. Save that shit for the mo parties..

peace,
    amir

• THE DJ HAS TO BE ABLE TO DANCE TOO.

supergreg style

didnt put 2 and 2 together...is that Ali G before he was Ali G?

supergreg style

didnt put 2 and 2 together...is that Ali G before he was Ali G?

Not quite. This is the dude in question:

Late 80s r'n'b singer with the unabrow stizzy.

Aah yes, I see (said the blind man when he fell into the hole). I dunno who Supergreg is, but I do know he is one ugly mofo.

• as long as their is alcohol readily available, there is no dead air, the volumes and tempos are kept in the same ballpark, and you play kick ass vinyl records at 33 or 45(shit, if you can rock kick ass 78s, do it!)..then saul good.