how important is dj skillz when you play live

vinylfiendvinylfiend 7 Posts
edited October 2005 in DJ Talk / Mixes
i have a friend who has been diggin for years and I know nobody who has got a collection like he does.Me and him stay gettin into arguements over whats more important when playin out.I think it as alot to do with your skillz on your decks rather then your record selection,he disgrees with me completely.He thinks that when people come to hear somebody spin (breaks)they want to hear what rare records you got.Don't be misunderstood ,he got skills but when he plays out he doesn't show them off.He sort of just jumps from break to break all night.So i want to get other peoples opinions on this.Do you agree with me or him.Peace

Comments

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    I think its a combo, but honestly, around 1 or 2 am, people dont even care if your rocking a muppet movie soundtrack, there already at the point of no return. But I really think it depends on the night and the style your droppin.

• I don't agree with either one of you. People want to dance and get drunk. They don't want to hear you juggle and scratch your nuts and they could give a fuck if shit is raer. They want shit they know for the most part and no train wreaks.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm feeling your use of language.

• musical catalog trumps skillz in my book.

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    ud be suprised, and thats why AI think it goes to "it just depends". Have you ever "Caught a vibe" and just wreked and and peeps were buggin out with a combo of the skillz and the selection? It just really depends.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    important to serve your crowd what they want. if what they want ain't your bag, step the fuck out.

good DJs:

1) have deep crates

2) are not snobs about new shit

3) can blend beats seemlessly when the floor is packed.

4) tastfully throw in some juggling/scratching type shit here and there

5) comprise less than .0001% of current "DJs"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What happened?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I'd rather listen to a DJ that played a great selection but couldn't mix, than a DJ with amazing skills who plays a wack selection, ANYDAY.

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    everyone got naked and there was a huge ORGY!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I thought somebody mentioned my name.

Oh okay.

Here's some Angela Winbush

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    important to serve your crowd what they want. also important to get the crowd YOU want.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    when i'm dancing - there is nothing more annoying than a DJ that jumps from song to song to song. I like more than the chorus and/or break and my attention span can handle more than just a minute of song...

It has to be a balance - all technique and no selection style makes jack/jill a dull dj. big gaping holes between songs and train wreck mixes interfere with the flow and good-feelings of a party. catering to record nerds and forgetting/not caring that not everyone will appreciate a Gary Wilson freak-fest is just plain boring.

but then again - a little gap now and then is not a bad thing - you know, for a little drama and anticipation's sake!

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    thanks, Ill bring her back tomorrow

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I'd rather listen to a DJ that played a great selection but couldn't mix, than a DJ with amazing skills who plays a wack selection, ANYDAY.

are you serious? listening to trainwrecks, song after song, gets old quick and kills dancefloors. plus girls aren't impressed with wackness.

when i'm dancing - there is nothing more annoying than a DJ that jumps from song to song to song. I like more than the chorus and/or break and my attention span can handle more than just a minute of song..

but also, there has to be a moment where this can be used to hype the party. But i agree, there has to be a point where the tracks get played for a longer time. usually in the early morning hours i dont even mix no more, or even do a pasue on purpose to attract the crowd again. Use all techniques there are in a sensible way, play all the music you like and you and your crowd will have a good time. Like Jeff Mills once said: "Read the crowd" - and supply them with according heat.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    it's all about having the right tracks to play. you if you don't have that you could just stay home.

skills is, for the general crowd, just a tasteful spice, unless you gig at some hardcore hip hop club with a lot of true school hip hoppers.

are you serious? listening to trainwrecks, song after song, gets old quick and kills dancefloors. plus girls aren't impressed with wackness.

Skills mean shit if your selection is boring, monotonous, predictible, old, etc etc etc...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    scratching is soooooooo immature

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Use all techniques there are in a sensible way, play all the music you like and you and your crowd will have a good time.

this is true

• I'd rather listen to a DJ that played a great selection but couldn't mix, than a DJ with amazing skills who plays a wack selection, ANYDAY.

there is a middle ground - some dudes blend between songs that are similar enough to keep the dancefloor going, but not exactly BPM'd or whatever.

The most boring shit is a safe ass DJ who has everything BPMd plays nothing new has standard cuts and wellpracticed blends. The most exciting shit is a dude with deep crates who has a basic knowledge of mixing and blending, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Cutting can be cool but that's like the icing on the cake. I go to hear music, not technique.

I go to hear music, not technique.

Amen to that.

unless you gig at some hardcore hip hop club with a lot of true school hip hoppers.

best parties evar!!! If you have some nice girls in there too, a very nice experience...

plus girls aren't impressed with wackness.

but couldn't mix,

you mean train wrecks or slamming tracks on beat?

train wrecks are heartbreaking. on the other hand, slamming tracks on beat might have the two other DJs in the room rolling eyes, but as long as your tempo is on, the floor will go with you.

I go to hear records, not CDs or MP3s.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I go to hear music, not technique.

Amen to that.

amen to the middle ground.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    the truth is that there is no formula

if you've been dj'ing for a long enough time and honestly know what you are doing, then you know your approach will change from evening to evening and crowd to crowd...

• but couldn't mix,

you mean train wrecks or slamming tracks on beat?

train wrecks are heartbreaking. on the other hand, slamming tracks on beat might have the two other DJs in the room rolling eyes, but as long as your tempo is on, the floor will go with you.

As long as shit sounds clean its all good. I like dope blends, but a lot of people wont even notice. Trainwreaks are just, aw man, I am sure everyone here who has dj'ed has had someone come up and bump the needle and the whole damn room turns and looks at you like WTF.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I am sure everyone here who has dj'ed has had someone come up and bump the needle and the whole damn room turns and looks at you like WTF.

what about house parties where you have that seriously drunken idiot loving your set so much he jumps and stomps so hard it skips your needle like 5 times before you completely lose it and flip out on him.

i don't mind the cute drunk girl bumping the decks as much though, cause after the first time i just stick my hand out whenever she gets too close to bumping the decks again and cop a cheap perv feel.

that's why i keep a grip of drunk bitches up by the decks. so when the sneakers start clunking around, i just look over like "they" did it.

• When you are trying to get your dance on technique matters to an extent but on mixtapes is where technique is key.