how important is dj skillz when you play live

Comments

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

there is a middle ground - some dudes blend between songs that are similar enough to keep the dancefloor going, but not exactly BPM'd or whatever.

I tihnk this is what we are looking for. Dude is by no means a battle dj....but he will have a dance floor going nuts with the right selection and be flexing undeniable skills. IT"S CALLED BEING WELL ROUNDED!

• scratching is soooooooo immature

Yeah, it's so talentless. Seriously, making music with music. PFFFT.

• As been said before, it all depends. You never know what kind of people will show up. And you got to give the party people what they want/need. You help them, they help you, you help them ad infinitum. I'm pretty sure tho, that no one wants to hear a long scratch solo with ahhhh anymore.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    mixtapes is where technique is key.

yes, yes!

• i don't mind the cute drunk girl bumping the decks as much though, cause after the first time i just stick my hand out whenever she gets too close to bumping the decks again and cop a cheap perv feel.

HAHAHA. That's the way to do it.

• My biggest beef is with Dj's that try to do more then they are capable of. Like DJ's who try and cut or do their best JRocc impression but its not on beat. What you can do on you nice bedroom setup you might not be able to do at the club. Once you realize that shits not working do everyone a favor and just mix.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I go to hear records, not CDs or MP3s.

again, two sided...i once djed this festival/party near Prague and the dj before me used mp3s and final scratch and it had the advantage of having every record in doubles quickly, no heavy bags etc. but his brother said, he looked like checking emails inbetween songs when u watched him from the dancefloor. so after him, i did it the old school way and got some more crowd respone when flipping records quickly and diggin in them crates. The performance aspect is a bit more valuable, i guess, but then again, who cares. Cd's is still a big nono, unless u are the scratch perverts and play some new dubs of drum'n bass which are not cut on acetate anymore or your new productions to try them out. I heard from a fellow promoter, who does drum'n bass parties that there is a small vinyl-only movement in the Uk and that dj's who play cd's get paid less. It just doesn't look right...can we have a CD-only avatar ?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i'm not a dj, so take my opinion for what its worth but,

there are times when i hear a mix/blend/whatever u want to call it by some noobs on message boards and i think they are fantastic...then 3 seconds later a "seasoned" dj posts to cut it up saying the beats are off..meanwhile i was just appreciating the track based on it energy and i guess its because of my aural ignorance i didnt catch on to the "mis"-beated beat. now, not to take away from well developed skill, but people into general things(or straight out partying i should say) dont care about crazy technicality.

for example, right now im learning typography (its the study of text/type in design). in typography there's a technique called "kerning" which involves tweaking letters besides eachother so that they look jusssssssst right, because even though they may have equal spacing between them, they kind of trick the eye by having gaps that dont look right to the detailed eye. the thing is, prior to studying it(well i still am), i had no clue about this design flaw prevalent in so many things, even in stuff that look just beautiful and right. so i mean unless you're spinning for 200 ear trained djs in the audience (or designing for designers), why would u care? plus alcohol's a factor at live gigs, so stop being anal and push the energy.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    My biggest beef is with Dj's that try to do more then they are capable of. Like DJ's who try and cut or do their best JRocc impression but its not on beat. What you can do on you nice bedroom setup you might not be able to do at the club. Once you realize that shits not working do everyone a favor and just mix.

I do agree...thats why it's called skills (it takes practice and work). If you can't double or do skilled mixing techniques don't kill a dance floor trying to show off ...just blend..

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    scratching is soooooooo immature

i've been around this shit for a really long time so you don't need to break it down like to me, but let me break it down like this:

battle djs talent is not in making music but moving thier hands fast enough to make them masturbation champions at the next jerkoff jamboree aka dj battle

seriously, musically that shit sounds awful even when it's "done right" much of the time. let's be real, it's about impressing thier peers more so than making great music for people to listen to.

one more thing, if you're playing somewhere and the audience really really really really really cares about your dj skillz and nothing but, you should get the hell out, cause you have one ugly looking audience.

again, two sided...i once djed this festival/party near Prague and the dj before me used mp3s and final scratch and it had the advantage of having every record in doubles quickly, no heavy bags etc. but his brother said, he looked like checking emails inbetween songs when u watched him from the dancefloor. so after him, i did it the old school way and got some more crowd respone when flipping records quickly and diggin in them crates. The performance aspect is a bit more valuable, i guess, but then again, who cares. Cd's is still a big nono, unless u are the scratch perverts and play some new dubs of drum'n bass which are not cut on acetate anymore or your new productions to try them out. I heard from a fellow promoter, who does drum'n bass parties that there is a small vinyl-only movement in the Uk and that dj's who play cd's get paid less. It just doesn't look right...can we have a CD-only avatar ?

i understand all the practical arguments. i do weddings, for example, and the idea of having 100,000 songs with serato (sp) is great...but I think digital music sounds bad. period.

• one more thing, if you're playing somewhere and the audience really really really really really cares about your dj skillz and nothing but, you should get the hell out, cause you have one all male [/b] audience.

one more thing, if you're playing somewhere and the audience really really really really really cares about your dj skillz and nothing but, you should get the hell out, cause you have one all male [/b] audience.

i was alluding to that, but they are really ugly too (no ayo)

TURNTABLISM = PROG ROCK[/b]

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This thread is lame.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    scratching is soooooooo immature

i've been around this shit for a really long time so you don't need to break it down like to me, but let me break it down like this:

battle djs talent is not in making music but moving thier hands fast enough to make them masturbation champions at the next jerkoff jamboree aka dj battle

seriously, musically that shit sounds awful even when it's "done right" much of the time. let's be real, it's about impressing thier peers more so than making great music for people to listen to.

Yeah, there used to a time around 98, when Babu rocked "Blind Alley" in a real musical way, where i was pretty hyped about the battle scene. Then it just went too technical, now it sometimes sounds like robocopmusic. and just ask lukas aka rafik, current ITF Champion, about male groupies. From time to time he gets these calls from guys that wanna cut with him (no Ayo)...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    This thread is lame.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    one more thing, if you're playing somewhere and the audience really really really really really cares about your dj skillz and nothing but, you should get the hell out, cause you have one all male [/b] audience.

This thread is lame.

moody

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Don't hate on that. There is a certain performance element associated with mixing vinyl. You lose some of that with CD DJ's and almost all of it with MP3 Djs.

Don't hate on that. There is a certain performance element associated with mixing vinyl. You lose some of that with CD DJ's and almost all of it with MP3 Djs.

CDs sound bad to me.

• are you serious? listening to trainwrecks, song after song, gets old quick and kills dancefloors. plus girls aren't impressed with wackness.

there is a middle ground - some dudes blend between songs that are similar enough to keep the dancefloor going, but not exactly BPM'd or whatever.

The most boring shit is a safe ass DJ who has everything BPMd plays nothing new has standard cuts and wellpracticed blends. The most exciting shit is a dude with deep crates who has a basic knowledge of mixing and blending, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Cutting can be cool but that's like the icing on the cake. I go to hear music, not technique.

I couldn't agree more. My skills are whatever, but I think I have a much better selection of music than a lot of djs.

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    This is the most obsurd comment ive ever heard. Alot of cats say this to me when actually they are hating because they might lack the skillz themselves. When you hear Jazzy Jeff scratch do you feel this way?

• This thread is lame.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    This is the most obsurd comment ive ever heard. Alot of cats say this to me when actually they are hating because they might lack the skillz themselves. When you hear Jazzy Jeff scratch do you feel this way?

Read again I said "battle djs", not party djs. Jazzy Jeff is a party DJ. I also said "much of the time", not all of the time.

BTW I don't really enjoy it even when Jazzy Jeff does it.

P.S. Very true, this thread is lame.

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    I Read you right the first time brother. Jazzy Jeff was a battle DJ b4 he had any product out. He won a superman battle. But hey thats your opinion I guess. Kinda crazy, but alot of people who envy a good scratcher make this general statement and it kinda makes me smile. hahahah to funny

Read again I said "battle djs", not party djs. Jazzy Jeff is a party DJ. I also said "much of the time", not all of the time.

BTW I don't really enjoy it even when Jazzy Jeff does it.

P.S. Very true, this thread is lame.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    first off: jrocc might not be a "battle dj" but he has won dmc teams w/ the beat junkies and his techniques are battle oriented. beat junkies wouldnt roll with him if he didnt have those skills. second, if you think that dj skills arent important than you obviously dont have any and are looking to compensate for it by thinking your selection is so great. give a wack dj the same crate as a skilled dj and 10 out of 10 times the skilled dj will rock the crowd 50 times better. i have been amped to hear songs i dont even like in the club because the dj mixed it in right while i have not been excited to hear songs i like because the dj sucks and didnt transition correctly. if you are doing what you are supposed to, each transition should get a crowd reaction like "ohhhhh" or something to that effect. if you arent getting this, you are wack as fuck and should donate your technics to someone who can actually make use of them and cop a radio shack belt drive.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    djs can rock crowds on a pair of thorens

• mrragzmrragz 22 Posts
    first off: if you arent getting this, you are wack as fuck and should donate your technics to someone who can actually make use of them and cop a radio shack belt drive.

Amen, now let us bow our heads and pray.