MOTHERFUCKING FUCK. TRIO MOCOTO $100 STOLEN

Comments

• johnny, sucks my man.
    sucks to mentally grapple with theft.
    i know id like the "Sleeve in the bin" shit, with maybe a postit with record condition on it.

but if you make a top row on the wall, cant you have some tripledigie pieces out of arms length?

i swear im a be up soon

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How much did you get it for? Just look at it like you lost that much.

He's in the record business, so that logic is not really applicable.

Records are how he makes a living--it would be like a motherf**ker not only stole your record but a portion of your paycheck.

• a portion of your paycheck.

It is true that I'm half the man I used to be

so you're negative 50% a man?

deeyum.

so you're negative 50% a man?

deeyum.

I know the California school system is in trouble. You're a smart guy. But math for you, not so much eh?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    JP -

Sorry about the theft; wondering if a dedicated small desktop PC would fit in the budget - you could take digital photos and load up JPEGs of the front/back of the jacket as well as the record and label - place 'em in a folder for people to view on a monitor to check out the raers - time consuming, I know, but this way, serious folls who want a particular record s/he's checked out can then ask for it @ the counter - retrieve it - have 'em look it over and then ring up the sale...

Just a thought...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Is this the first item that has been stolen from your store?

• johnny, sucks my man.
    sucks to mentally grapple with theft.
    i know id like the "Sleeve in the bin" shit, with maybe a postit with record condition on it.

but if you make a top row on the wall, cant you have some tripledigie pieces out of arms length?

i swear im a be up soon

i'll be up soon as well, johnny. thats some shit...and i know how u feel.

but yeah...i agree with the sleeve in the bin....vinyl behind the counter....have the buyer inspect that shit in your face....and if he wants it...buy it right then...or you physically hold it until they are ready to leave the store.

i'm looking at getting a storefront in the near future as well...so all these suggestions are helpful.

• JP -

Sorry about the theft; wondering if a dedicated small desktop PC would fit in the budget - you could take digital photos and load up JPEGs of the front/back of the jacket as well as the record and label - place 'em in a folder for people to view on a monitor to check out the raers - time consuming, I know, but this way, serious folls who want a particular record s/he's checked out can then ask for it @ the counter - retrieve it - have 'em look it over and then ring up the sale...

Just a thought...

I just bought a new computer for the shop, so no I do not have the budget for a second one but thanks for the idea. If I end up listing some high end stuff on the website then I will definitely do the picture thing.

I just reorganized the store, giving some of the bins a bit more room to breath (jazz and breaks sections were getting a little tight)... for those that have been through the shop, the "Expensive Shit" bin is no more. $40-45 records have been absorbed into the regular bins and anything $50 and up is going behind the counter until we can add more wall display, which should happen over the next few weeks. I have posted a little card on the display counter to "ask for the raer box". Anyone and everyone - feel free to peruse them freely when you fall through. It's really unfortunate that we can't just have hype raerities on the floor for the folks, but we gotta be a little more cautious.

Thank you all again for the positive words.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    what about this...

have your records displayed on the wall, and a listening station that comprises of an cd/mp3 player, that contains a cd of mp3s you ripped off the vinyl u own. this way people could pretty much sample everthing in your store (well an mp3 cd can hold 9 hours of mp3s at 128kbp) without bugging you to get it off the wall and physically playing it (and in some cases wearing the sheit down)? just a thought...

if they like what they hear and intend on buying it once they hear/see the condition of the record for themselves, by all means get it for them as you know you have a serious buyer on your hands. problem solved?

PROS:
    -they get to hear it
    -they are not wrecking your records
    -because its not such a hassle to ask you to get the record off the wall (for some people its a psychological factor, they dont want to bug you), they have access to listening to more sheit and may be enticed in purchasing something they never thought of checking out before

CONS:
    -time to rip onto mp3
    -some people may think its gay to listen to an mp3 (but who cares? you're sampling the product afterall)

To make it efficent:
    -Have a printout of the tracks that correspond to the track numbers so they can shuffle through-
    -you dont have to rip a whole record, but just certain track if it eats up your time ripping it to mp3

• OK if you are reading this motherfucker. You just fucked this shit up for everyone. Shit is now going behind the counter cause of your dumb fucking stupid shit. It ain't enough that we price shit under Moerer, under Library, under Pearson, etc etc etc you gotta try to get over. So now its NO FUCKING FUN FOR NOBODY IN THIS SHOP ANY MORE. I try to be a good dude and put real heat out on the floor, but motherfuckers can't fucking play the game right.

SO. If any of yall dudes see or hear of Trio Mocoto Brazilian Sound on CAM just recently "arriving" you know the deal. Holler and you'll be compensated.

FUCK THAT.

It might be worth investing in surveillance. Dudes will think twice when they see a camera pointed right at them. Myabe you can catch a break on your insurance too?

Bottom line is, this kinda shit shouldn't be an issue... its hard enough to find to find good shit... this kinda stuff just made shit terrible for everyone.

I doubt that someone on soulstrut would jack that shit... probably some punk ass nobody looking for money for his spinner fund.

• JP -

Just a thought...

I just bought a new computer for the shop, so no I do not have the budget for a second one but thanks for the idea. If I end up listing some high end stuff on the website then I will definitely do the picture thing.

I just reorganized the store, giving some of the bins a bit more room to breath (jazz and breaks sections were getting a little tight)... for those that have been through the shop, the "Expensive Shit" bin is no more. $40-45 records have been absorbed into the regular bins and anything $50 and up is going behind the counter until we can add more wall display, which should happen over the next few weeks. I have posted a little card on the display counter to "ask for the raer box". Anyone and everyone - feel free to peruse them freely when you fall through. It's really unfortunate that we can't just have hype raerities on the floor for the folks, but we gotta be a little more cautious.

Thank you all again for the positive words.

Why not put place cards in the regular bins too that would say something like, "Hey, we got a Stark Realty behind the counter. Just ask!". Then when someone buys it pull the place card.

• Is this the first item that has been stolen from your store?

There are a couple of records that are unaccounted for, but nothing major. Nothing over $20. And that was since we opened, I never really saw them after the first week so it's kind of murky if they ever ended up in the shop at all. I might have them misfiled somewhere in my own shit at home....

As for MP3ing, place cards, etc... look, I don't have enough time as it is.... this whole debacle delayed me from finishing up a major purchase, switching payroll services, updating my sales database, conference call with my accountant, and last but most importantly pricing and putting out a box of records! So while these are all good ideas the bottom line is I just don't have the time to flick/mp3/placecard every record over $50 that we have in stock. And, at the end of the day, there is really no reason to... the only people who buy these are the great collectros of the world. Which only come in, at most, once or twice a week.

Legend holler at me if you want to discuss storefronts. It's the move.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

No problem - JP - I know that people by and large are visually driven so having some sort of display via digital imagery may serve its purpose in catching someone's eye (and safeguard the actual record in this manner)... SB's suggestion about a soundclip also may prove useful and you could have 'em linked to the corresponding title in question - 'cause the JPEGs are stored on the computer, they could be pretty large in size so that you wouldn't have anyone squinting trying to make out the details...

Whatever route you take, hopefully it'll circumvent/curb this from happening again...

• JUST FOUND ANOTHER RECORD MISSING. I AM ABOUT TO SHOOT SOMEONE FOR NO REASON

• Legend holler at me if you want to discuss storefronts. It's the move.

- makes "call me" motions

dude, outsource? if i was 17 and you paid me to rip vinyl onto a computer inside your store for $8/hr and a pack of smokes and i got to listen to music, i'd do it.

• $8/hr

shit dude, that's damn near what I pay my employees. My budget basically = intern

ADD TO THE MISSING IN ACTION LIST:

ESG "DANCE TO THE BEAT OF MOODY"

grrrrrrrr

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    JUST FOUND ANOTHER RECORD MISSING. I AM ABOUT TO SHOOT SOMEONE FOR NO REASON

dude!!!! that sucks. I said put them out without the vinyl, but if its really that hard to be watching the door, any of the other options i would also be cool with.

I would probably advise against the list idea, or the hidden raer box. Its true that serious collectors wont mind, but I know for a fact that alot of people that normally wouldnt drop crazy loot on a record are SERIOUSLY motivated to purchase if its sitting there in front of them. Its something about seeing the physical, tangible object that will suck people in.

I seriously admire you for doing the whole record store thing proper though. I think its fucking awesome. It might not be turning a profit immediately, but I bet once people start to learn about the store a little more, you will be getting regular clientele.

Personally, every time I know someone thats going to NYC and shops for records I tell them to be sure and check out your shop.

Now what would really be next level is if one of you big dudes from L.A. got it together to open up a similar type store. AP? Mabye? I understand how ebay might seem more profitable, but if you could give me bins and bins of heat, I would most definitely shell out for the extra cash. You gotta be able to listen to them though!

$8/hr

shit dude, that's damn near what I pay my employees. My budget basically = intern

grrrrrrrr

ya, but im talking canadian

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    sorry to hear that things are missing.

i think it's incredibly lame that folks would steal from a store like yours (yet to visit). I would think that some respect would be shown for independent minds trying to start up a small business and keep it comfortable, neighborhood oriented, and real. too many boutiques for critique. but lots of respect to you jonny for starting up a shop- i remember you talking about this a year and a half ago.... i raised my eyebrows, but you got things rolling along....

to the point- always got to deal with this kind of bullshit when you run a business. be pissed, tighten up on the high priced items, but do not bear grudges too long (i know you won't.)

also, never accuse unless you see it with your own eyes. i remember last time i was in NYC , i went into Bleecker Street Records b/c i was in the area. i spent 15 minutes in there, asked the guy at the counter a question about something or other, and found nothing of interest so went back upstairs. On the way up, the clerk in the record room announces over the intercom that they should intercept me before i leave the shop and search my bag for stolen records. the funny thing is that i was standing right at the front counter when this went over the intercom and just looked at the dudes up front. i told them that if the guy downstairs would like to search my bag, i'd gladly go downstairs and assist him with the process. my temper doesn't usually flare but it did this time. that's the last time i ever go into that shop.

long digression. coffee's working.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    have your records displayed on the wall, and a listening station that comprises of an cd/mp3 player, that contains a cd of mp3s you ripped off the vinyl u own. this way people could pretty much sample everthing in your store (well an mp3 cd can hold 9 hours of mp3s at 128kbp) without bugging you to get it off the wall and physically playing it (and in some cases wearing the sheit down)? just a thought...

That's really time intensive if he does any volume of records at all.

I guess he could do it but that's the thing about records, they're such low value, semi-unique items you can't really give individual attention like that.

Well, like I said, you COULD... but once again it wouldn't take much to make that very time consuming.

Good thing you didn't start a convenience store.

Good thing you didn't start a convenience store.

who did your avatar? tell them, they are a genius.

who did your avatar? tell them, they are a genius.

Haha I have no idea. Thank ytmnd.com.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

i think it's incredibly lame that folks would steal from a store like yours (yet to visit). I would think that some respect would be shown for independent minds trying to start up a small business and keep it comfortable, neighborhood oriented, and real.

What are you a commie???? Just kidding, I wish more people thought like you, but the world is so full of fucked up people. Even people that act hip are usually full of shit if you are around them enough. Plus, people think that JP (and every other store) just bought all his rares for a quater and goes home to his hot tub of $100 bills every night. The thing about this is that it was 99.9% a DJ or collector. It's not like regular theives are going to jack a record and then try to get the money out of some "rare" record.

• if shit is that bad..just print out a daily list of in-stock raers, if someone wants to see a particular LP, you show it to them...that way the records are outta sight-outta mind to scumbag shoplifters.

this idea i quite dig. that way its not much of a hassle to anybody, if someone asks, u just show them the list.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Hey Jonny P-

Sorry to hear about the theivery, but as you know it is a part of the game that is gonna happen and there's really not a whole lot you can do except try to make it as difficult as possible for people to get away with the big items. Serious raers behind the counter, medium raers up on the wall, leave all record bags at the door, etc. The idea about having a laptop for public use so they can check out what you have is a nice thought but if you turn your back folls will steal the laptop itself. I know you are now probably staring down every dude that comes up in the shop in hopes of catching a thief in the act- this is also if you want your biz to flourish. People will know when they are being watched and suspected as criminals and this will definitely turn shoppers off and make them not want to buy anything from you (trust me on this- as a black shopper I have a lot of experience being closely watched in stores).

I think you kinda have to factor in theft when you calculate all of your expenses, profits, etc. You're gonna lose x amount of dollars monthly due to theft and that's all there is to it. Just try to make sure that when the boostin' goes down it's not the Trio Mocotos but maybe just the Leo Sayers,

I am also in favor of sawed off shotgunnin' mofo's down right where they stand. If this suggestion does not appeal to you, I understand. I will be up at the shop probably next month (once it's cold enough that I can wear my huge 3x Woolrich, the one with the secret compartments in the lining). Stay focused, mang!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

grrrrrrrr

Mothefucker, this one hits close to home! That's the first "good" record I scored you!

Sorry to hear about this shit Jonathan. But fuck it, not the first or last time you will go through it unfortunately. I know it's hard to hear right now, but don't drive yourself crazy over it dude. People have a point when you may just have to absorb the loss cause it is something all retailers deal with. Not worth shooting someone!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Another thing I forgot to mention- if you hang in there long enough, once the planned abortion of all black babies goes into effect you will never have to worry about crime of any kind ever again! Problem solved.