MOTHERFUCKING FUCK. TRIO MOCOTO $100 STOLEN

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm sorry to hear that Jonny. I hope shit gets resolved (ie. someone gets their ass beat )

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yo I just had some crazy de je vu

Did something happen to you around this time last year?

Maybe i'm just tripping but serious, that was weird.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Raer box behind the counter, you have to ask to see it

If you choose this option, which I prefer, you should make up a small sign so the customer will know to ask.

• no doubt. only a $180 at Lowes gets you 2 cameras and a monitor.

Don't even need to do that. There are plenty of PC-based surveillance programs, and you can use Webcams or whatever.

Plus, a 640x480 webcam is beyond TV quality and is cheap as fuck. He could have every inch of his store, outside the store, and the inside of his underwear monitored for the same price as something you would buy at Lowe's.

• Sleeves in the bin, vinyl behind the counter

I don't mind this system but please, please, please, please don't be one of those record store dudes that huffs and puffs anytime someone wants to hear one of those behind the counter records. I HATE that shit!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Hm, I like the empty sleeves idea... I guess you put cardboard in there or something so they don't get effed up though?

Or fiberglass display... just so they're out in the shop and can be stared at leisurely...

• if shit is that bad..just print out a daily list of in-stock raers, if someone wants to see a particular LP, you show it to them...that way the records are outta sight-outta mind to scumbag shoplifters.

• OK, so to make this productive, would you all prefer:

Not to be a dick though, but seriously, you run a retail store. And in NYC, at that. Shoplifting is going to happen from time to time.

Just wonder if making things inconvenient for customers (and maybe losing sales) will balance out with what you lose in shoplifting.

For me though I guess I would say keep the sleeves out and records behind the counter. The local spots do that and it seems to work well; it offers the best access.

A Fiberglass shield is too much I think, and keeping the whole lot behind the counter is going to be annoying to the point (some) people won't bother. If you leave the sleeves out they only have to deal with you directly if there is something they might be interested in buying.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Sleeves in the bin, vinyl behind the counter

fools will walk with the sleeve, then you are in the same jam.

Keep a tight rein on the rare shit.

• that way the records are outta sight-outta mind to potential customers[/b].

Not everyone is going to bother to go through a bunch of hoops.
    A lot of times if it's too much I won't bother. He needs to make it as easy as possible.

Plus, like any retail item, there's nothing like holding it in your hand to whet your appetite. A list just doesn't do that.

• Raers behind the counter...Dare I say TSL-style.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    no doubt. only a $180 at Lowes gets you 2 cameras and a monitor.

Don't even need to do that. There are plenty of PC-based surveillance programs, and you can use Webcams or whatever.

Plus, a 640x480 webcam is beyond TV quality and is cheap as fuck. He could have every inch of his store, outside the store, and the inside of his underwear monitored for the same price as something you would buy at Lowe's.

i have just been at lowes about 10 times in the past couple of weeks so that was fresh on the brain.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Has SPINNA been to your store lately?

whoever stole your wax j, smack 'em in the face when they walk in the store nonchalant like that next time yo!

peace.

• Sleeves in the bin, vinyl behind the counter

fools will walk with the sleeve, then you are in the same jam.

Keep a tight rein on the rare shit.

yep--you'll be inadvertently donating to someone else's MISSING SLEEVES FOUNDATION.

I say keep them behind the counter but let folks know they're there...

• that way the records are outta sight-outta mind to potential customers[/b].

Not everyone is going to bother to go through a bunch of hoops.
    A lot of times if it's too much I won't bother. He needs to make it as easy as possible.

Plus, like any retail item, there's nothing like holding it in your hand to whet your appetite. A list just doesn't do that.

folks that drop loot on records wouldnt mind purusing a list(I wouldnt), yeah you would lose the impulse buyer, but not many people buy three-digit LPs impulsively.

• yep--you'll be inadvertently donating to someone else's MISSING SLEEVES FOUNDATION.

I say keep them behind the counter but let folks know they're there...

Maybe, but how often would that be?

Like 5% of all possible thefts?

There is going to be some loss. He runs a retail store. The point is to balance an acceptable level of loss while keeping shit as available to customers as possible.

• folks that drop loot on records wouldnt mind purusing a list(I wouldnt), yeah you would lose the impulse buyer, but not many people buy three-digit LPs impulsively.

Possibly, and I don't really know. I don't buy them anyway.

I guess my point is if someone wanted to look at a list and not the product, they might as well shop on eBay.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Not to be a dick though, but seriously, you run a retail store. And in NYC, at that. Shoplifting is going to happen from time to time.

Flipping out is just going to make you on of those bitter record store dudes that has to shake down everyone that comes in the store.

If you take the whole one person ruined it for everyone idea then your taking it out on everyone and that's going to loose you business. If you have cameras outside you should have them inside too. Just talk it as a learning lesson and move on. Not saying you shouldn't change something, just don't treat all you customers like criminals.

Having said that DJ's and record dude's are crazy shady, so you always have to watch it.

• folks that drop loot on records wouldnt mind purusing a list(I wouldnt), yeah you would lose the impulse buyer, but not many people buy three-digit LPs impulsively.

This is the big point here. People love to peruse expensive records but 1% of our customers are serious about buying them. Most of the time it's, "is this rare i got it for $1" or "got that. got that. got that." Or, "yo I know that break". People who are truly interested in a Chocolate Star EP, Sun Ra on Saturn, Ray Tabs, Tom Ze 1st LP, Class Set, Listen To My Turbo 12" or any of the other expensive pieces we have here are not going to mind asking for the raer box. This is the solution that seems the best to me. I personally hate shops with the vinyl behind the counter, whereas I do not mind asking Cool Chris for the special box. nohomo.

And yes, it is part of the game but it is still frustrating. We had the raer box out because this store started as an alternative to hoarding, snotty dealers and shops. Here's to hoping we can cut a good middle ground.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    folks that drop loot on records wouldnt mind purusing a list(I wouldnt), yeah you would lose the impulse buyer, but not many people buy three-digit LPs impulsively.

This is the big point here. People love to peruse expensive records but 1% of our customers are serious about buying them. Most of the time it's, "is this rare i got it for $1" or "got that. got that. got that." Or, "yo I know that break". People who are truly interested in a Chocolate Star EP, Sun Ra on Saturn, Ray Tabs, Tom Ze 1st LP, Class Set, Listen To My Turbo 12" or any of the other expensive pieces we have here are not going to mind asking for the raer box. This is the solution that seems the best to me. I personally hate shops with the vinyl behind the counter, whereas I do not mind asking Cool Chris for the special box. nohomo.

And yes, it is part of the game but it is still frustrating. We had the raer box out because this store started as an alternative to hoarding, snotty dealers and shops. Here's to hoping we can cut a good middle ground.

I know it's a little cliche' but have you thought of the wall o records behind the counter? It's a good way for little dudes to look and not touch, while big dudes can see it and drop the loot.

• Whatever you do, PLEASE DON'T BECOME LIKE THOSE ASSHOLES AT THE SOUND LIBRARY (except for Jared, he's cool).

Man that fucking sucks. You're raer box in front was so fucking great. I thought it was such a legit and cool move to have the raers right out in front, but if cheap ass lowlife scoundrels are gonna drag the entire world down with them into their miserable rat hole of an existence, you cant do that anymore. Fuck, that sucks. Im gonna come buy and buy a hundred dollar record just cause.

• FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1128106724Jonny_Paycheck">

Raer Access[/b]
    fyberglass case you can look through but not take records out of
    Sleeves in the bin, vinyl behind the counter
    Raer box behind the counter, you have to ask to see it
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

forget all that mess. Just have Rape Donk stand by the big pieces rolling his eyes and snickering. That'll scur away all the little dudes. He does it already anyways.

I know it's a little cliche' but have you thought of the wall o records behind the counter? It's a good way for little dudes to look and not touch, while big dudes can see it and drop the loot.

We have records on the wall

And we are adding two more rows on top of that.

The rest will now be behind the counter and available to those who ask nicely.

• How much did you get it for? Just look at it like you lost that much. Also you own a store, somehow I think you were bound to get taxed.

• You can't just look at it like you got taxed what you paid - you got taxed for potential profit as well. That's the total loss.

And as for being only a matter of time... mr. i steal from goodwill... that may be true but it don't make it right.

Anyways yeah man. Thank you all for your kind words. Eyes and ears open like the god HQ said.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    And to sound like one of your customers: what's the retail price of that Vinicius/Caymmi? I got 2 of those, it keeps jumping on me in Buenos Aires

• It is a beautiful record. I sell it for $40-ish. Not very rare but sells easily on the merits of the music.

• We have records on the wall

[

dude *thats* your wall?! pffft. that's what my floor looks like! that's right- the THING I WALK ON!!!

just kidding, i can't wait to check you out next time i'm in nyc. respect

• this is one of the reasons i kind of don't want to run a physical store. always been paranoid of people jacking me, it's crazy. i've heard stories of dudes coming in and cleaning a place out, it's no good.

you cuold have the "raers" on the wall or something like atomic and have to ask them to get them down for you to look at.

dave