Akai MPC-2500 coming next month

2»

Comments

• Mesh: yeah, I think Paul Wolf (the guy who does Tonelux) helped design the API modular setup that I have been building. I am currently trying to figure out how I can build a decent EQ rack for my setup, as the Neve and API clones are still way outta my budget (I have been using the AKAI as my EQs cause I still think they kick serious ass).... You can kinda see it all at my shitty little mastering website (www.monoheat.com)

My current shit:

API 7600x2 for Pres/EQ/Linecards for Turntables.

API 8200x1 (from ProTools 002, soor to have a Crane Song HEDD as the main DA/AD).

API 7800 Master Module

API 2500 Stereo Bus Compressor all custom patchbay'd with Neutriks and Mogami

Dynaudio BM6a's

MPC4K and SP1200

1200's and Rane54

78 Fender Precision

MS20/50

Softwares.

--

• PS; that Sequential is one of the baddest sounding samplers ever made, its really too bad that they tried to do thier own system layouts for Midi. If they used the standard drum map, I think it would have been way more of a "classic" than the SP.

Anyone burnt thier own EPROMs for the Linn Drum? If so, come talk to a dood.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Its true that you can do everything on a computer that you can on an mpc, but an mpc is still wayyyy more fun in my opinion.

So am I really the only one thats the other way around?

Give me some real keys over pads any day... Gimme a mouse to navigate instead of that wheel... Gimme a 19" over that tiny LCD... Gimme Cubase/Logic/FL/ACID/Live over that MPC sequencer... You get the picture.

thats why you hook a keyboard up.

have you seriously ever owned one? Or are you just saying that you like your setup. cause i used to be all software, but I wouldnt go back. You can do more. But theres much to be said for something that actually limits your options.

nah havent owned one myself but ive made a couple of beats on friends mpcs - i guess its just not my thing. i own two samplers myself however (asr-10 and an emax), but i sequence on the computer... and yes, i like this setup!

also just bought an old tape-echo w/ reverb... dynachord echochord super 76, that thing is sersiously badass!

it takes shit to the

now all i need is a wahwah pedal, a mutron biphase and a minimoog voyager. if i only had the money. that mpc2500 is almost as much as a voyager, pretty insane when you think of it. i know which one i would have bought! but then again i allready have the asr.

• Speshboogie: did you get some buttons on your SP replaced? I never seen one with black buttons on the "Programming" level before. Looks a little more evil.
    kudos.

Thats actually a completely rebuilt SP that I customized myself.
    Added Blue Leds, swapped out LCD for different colored one, couple other things.
    It was definitely ill lookin' & one of a kind.
    I have a SP-12 thats going to look even better once I finish (back burnered project, one day it'll be done), think I'll dub it the Paul C. Commemorative SP-12.

• PS; that Sequential is one of the baddest sounding samplers ever made, its really too bad that they tried to do thier own system layouts for Midi. If they used the standard drum map, I think it would have been way more of a "classic" than the SP.

Anyone burnt thier own EPROMs for the Linn Drum? If so, come talk to a dood.

Fuck yeah, the 440 was so far ahead of the game it's ridiculous.
    Damn things were buggy as hell though.
    I've gone thru 2 of them & 1st one was crazy tempermental.
    They're sick machines if you spend the time with them.

I prefer my Prophet 2000 more though as it has the same sampler inside, plus all the insane filters built in.
    Whereass the 440 has none really, (unless you do the Resonance mod).

Oh yeah, i've burned eeproms before too, not for Linn Drum specifically, but shouldn't be that hard, been a while since I done it.
    You can also try to source out an Operheim Prommer.
    For the techies with MPC 60/3000 & eeprom programmers, you can edit/customize your screen text as well.

damn thun'ions, I am high as fuck right now.

• Nice gear homie.
    My board was made by the dudes who did some of the original API designs.
    Currently having a new master section custom built by one of the dudes.
    I recapped the damn thing myself this past summer.

Yo if you wanna save some dough, you can try your hand at building your own Neve Clones.
    About 1/2 the cost of a boutique clone.

I'm working on a SSL 2-buss comp clone & sourcing parts for a 1073'ish clone too.
    Shit takes forever but once you get hang of it, save crazy dough.

Yo the Akai MG series were damn ill too! I used to fiend for one!
    Still though, my all time fav has still got to be the Tascam 388 !!!
    Fuck I miss mine!

• Spesh: looks like you got a real hot setup... you working full time in music or just hobbyin?
    Is that board one of the Trident Fleximix ones? I kinda looks like the same sort of graphics or perhaps an old ADL? Looks cool anyways. Imma check into that Prommer... do they go for mad dough?

Nuff gear nerd questions, Im off to sleep.

Peace homies.

• Looks real fresh.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its true that you can do everything on a computer that you can on an mpc, but an mpc is still wayyyy more fun in my opinion.

So am I really the only one thats the other way around?

Give me some real keys over pads any day... Gimme a mouse to navigate instead of that wheel... Gimme a 19" over that tiny LCD... Gimme Cubase/Logic/FL/ACID/Live over that MPC sequencer... You get the picture.

thats why you hook a keyboard up.

have you seriously ever owned one? Or are you just saying that you like your setup. cause i used to be all software, but I wouldnt go back. You can do more. But theres much to be said for something that actually limits your options.

nah havent owned one myself but ive made a couple of beats on friends mpcs - i guess its just not my thing. i own two samplers myself however (asr-10 and an emax), but i sequence on the computer... and yes, i like this setup!

also just bought an old tape-echo w/ reverb... dynachord echochord super 76, that thing is sersiously badass!

it takes shit to the

now all i need is a wahwah pedal, a mutron biphase and a minimoog voyager. if i only had the money. that mpc2500 is almost as much as a voyager, pretty insane when you think of it. i know which one i would have bought! but then again i allready have the asr.

well actually, with samples and shit these days i have been going straight to pro tools. Generally that seems to work a bit better than chopping everything on the mpc.

Up until recently we were working mostly on a Mix plus system, but we just got the new HD rig, and with beat detection and shit thats pretty easy. I actually think this feature comes with le now too.

So I may be joining the dark side soon enought. But i still love my mp for fleshing out ideas quickly and spontaneously.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    yeah, beat detective finally comes with LE now. too bad i'm still using 6.4. need to upgrade.
    but thats the ticket though, for real. chopping with that is ridiculous.

which hd rig did you get bsides? 1, 2, 3? im thinking of going the poor mans hd way and getting a UAD card. anybody else doing that? maybe a powercore, i dunno.

i wanna save my money for analog gear to mix out of the box.

but as far as sequencing and computers go, i still use my mpc all the time to start the beat and then bring protools in as the master, using them at the same time.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I want one.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I want one.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

I want one.

i know right. that movie keeps going and going and going and going and everytime youre like, what?
    duh duh dun dun dun DAMMM!

i am starting to take back what i said about not wanting to switch out. my friend does wanna buy a used mpc...

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I was hoping 24 bit would be the next standard..

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I think the sample library compatibly is a bit lack luster. No S1000 compatibility?! It would have been nice if it supported rex files along the numerous other soft sampler libraries out there.

Also a 128 Meg memory card is the maximum it will take? What the f*ck?! That means an internal hard drive will be very necessary.

I wonder if you can preview sounds from the CD, flash memory, or hard drive without having to load them into the unit. This could be a great time saver when you???re going thru 500 hundred hi-hats looking for that one.

• it would have been cool to have every MPC file type ever compatibility plus S900/950 compatibilty as well.....

I'm sticking with my joints though:

Note the MV has been swapped for an MP3KLE

• it would have been cool to have every MPC file type ever compatibility plus S900/950 compatibilty as well.....

• Speshboogie: did you get some buttons on your SP replaced? I never seen one with black buttons on the "Programming" level before. Looks a little more evil.
    kudos.

Thats actually a completely rebuilt SP that I customized myself.
    Added Blue Leds, swapped out LCD for different colored one, couple other things.
    It was definitely ill lookin' & one of a kind.
    I have a SP-12 thats going to look even better once I finish (back burnered project, one day it'll be done), think I'll dub it the Paul C. Commemorative SP-12.
    Yo Spesh,
    Are you located in the bay area? If so, do you have anybody that you can recommend to fix a o.g. SP1200? I'm looking for somebody located locally...I feel kind of sketchy about shipping this (I've heard too many horror stories)
    Peace,
    Mike

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    it would have been cool to have every MPC file type ever compatibility plus S900/950 compatibilty as well.....

nice collection. i started one but quickly sold it due to financial situations. i had the 3000 and still have the 2000xl. what do you like best?

• my friend does wanna buy a used mpc...
    With autograph?

I wanna see the mpc rep battle that other dude from that keyboard demo.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

whats that? Im my experience I thought the MV was kinda garbage can.

I really wouldnt trade in the 2000xl for that 2500. I would if it were an even swap in terms of price, but buying one of those things new is sorta crazy seeing as how they really havent changed much over the years.

Unless your talking about the 4000. Thats a whole new beast.

• if it wasnt for the designer of the sp1200,there would be no mpc's.and you producers with 20minute memory,fuck ya!long live "ten seconds"

Real heads know these babies have major issues and minimal sampling time. And yo those pads aint wack, they ILL AS FUCK!!!! They are much softer than MPC pads and therefore feel alot sicker! You always see they fucked up in used machines though since everyday hammering treats em no good.

The 25hundo looks like it got some nice features. Can't be assed to pay 1,8K for it though. I'm happy with the 3000.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    my friend does wanna buy a used mpc...
    With autograph?

ZING!!![/b]

nah, all that shit is LONG gone. that fucker...

• Real heads know these babies have major issues and minimal sampling time. And yo those pads aint wack, they ILL AS FUCK!!!! They are much softer than MPC pads and therefore feel alot sicker! You always see they fucked up in used machines though since everyday hammering treats em no good.
    The 25hundo looks like it got some nice features. Can't be assed to pay 1,8K for it though. I'm happy with the 3000.

MPC 2500 I hear is gonna come out at around $2,499 retail.
    If you wait till after it's initial release I think that'll mean around 1,800-1,999 at your local Guitar Center.

The 440 had the most sampling time for a machine of it's type in its day.
    It was truly "ahead of it's time" in every sense.
    Not to mention SCSI, envelopes, etc... Really blew the SP outta the water.
    Except for fact they were so tempermental & for the most part the OS was incomplete (yes even the Pointsource OS).

Actually, I put brand spanking new pads on each the 440's I owned, just never could get into them sponges, though they were a good idea with regard to the velocity sensitivity effect.
    It's all presonal pref. for most, like some dudes prefer the SP pads/buttons.

Now, if you like the 440, it's sequencer-less big cousin is not to be effed with soundwise...

• If it works for you its all good homie!
    AFAIK these machines have been breaking down one after the other. So I'D??d never rely on a machine like that for steady production.
    Def something to play around with though.
    Guess I'll say akai head tell the day I die

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    it would have been cool to have every MPC file type ever compatibility plus S900/950 compatibilty as well.....

Lemme hear your stuff!