Does anybody actually like Cage?

Comments

• im into the 'scenester' 12..

• "I gave up Nin tendo[/b] and Bmx for rap music when i was 14.I just completed my new album Hell's Winter ,You will probably hate it."

• BEST SHIT EVAR!!!!

(moderator, can we get this in the pantheon?)

• Dudes like him and his fanbase are whats wrong about underground hip-hop.

• i know i'm setting my self up to get by faux (again), but i don't know guys, i think this album (minus like two unlistenable songs) is great

i think my biggest problem with a lot of underground rappers is that they don't really take the time to conceptually flesh out their songs. or they'll have one-two "high concept" rap songs on their album and then fill it out with some garbage ass rapping about rapping. but cage really got his shit together and made a very personal, well written record.

but the artwork is so ugly. def jux needs to step up their design game.

take that shit to rollingstone.com, son.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Dudes like him and his fanbase are whats wrong about underground hip-hop.

i agree

• cascas 1,484 Posts

"scenester" is my shit. cage has had some dope 12"s. whutcher damage, boy?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

"scenester" is my shit. cage has had some dope 12"s. whutcher damage, boy?

I don't think I ever heard that 12" was that from the Fondell 'em era

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    naw. it's actually off the new album. not sure who did the beat. blockhead maybe?

• I remember listening to a Cage record around the turn of the century, but was not moved. I can't even remember what it sounded like. The stuff on myspace is wack IMHO. Not feelin it.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Bought Cage's tape, opened it & dubbed over it.

how? you bought that shit on cassette?

thats a quote from an eminem track when they was tryin to dis eachother.

• "i think my biggest problem with a lot of underground rappers is that they don't really take the time to conceptually flesh out their songs. or they'll have one-two "high concept" rap songs on their album and then fill it out with some garbage ass rapping about rapping. but cage really got his shit together and made a very personal, well written record. "

YES

plus who can deny see thru and follow the liters from leak bros?
    but i'm a sucker for concept albums.

"scenester" is my shit. cage has had some dope 12"s.

exhibit a

• BEST SHIT EVAR!!!!

For Real !! Plaese to make this an official gremlin.

"scenester" is my shit. cage has had some dope 12"s.

exhibit a

yeah scenester is the only thing ive liked in a long while. the beats are all garbage.. hell the beat on the bside of the scenester 12 is ehh..

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What the fuck is this guy talking about? He sounds mad.

OHHHH....Its political. Underground white guy political raps. Original.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    What the fuck is this guy talking about? He sounds mad.

OHHHH....Its political. Underground white guy political raps. Original.

Hold on, I just heard some other song where hes rapping about how hes a psycho. Or hes crazy or something.

Now all we need is an experimental acoustic folk meets hip hop track about an ex-girlfriend and I think We have a DEF JUX release!

• how come nobody's mentioned the STARK REALITY SAMPLE on the first track of that page?!!

PAGING MONTY!

• Options

Hold on, I just heard some other song where hes rapping about how hes a psycho. Or hes crazy or something.

I believe he spent some time in a mental institution because his mom didn't want to deal with him for awhile, even though there was nothing mentally wrong with him (so goes the rumor). Technically I'm supposed to be in a crew that he's a part of called Cardboard City, but I'm kind of apathetic about the whole thing and haven't spoken to those involved in over a year. I guess I'm off the team. I got a nice t-shirt out of it though!

Oh, and add me to those who liked Radiohead and Agent Orange.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I believe he spent some time in a mental institution because his mom didn't want to deal with him for awhile, even though there was nothing mentally wrong with him (so goes the rumor). Technically I'm supposed to be in a crew that he's a part of called Cardboard City, but I'm kind of apathetic about the whole thing and haven't spoken to those involved in over a year. I guess I'm off the team. I got a nice t-shirt out of it though!

Oh, and add me to those who liked Radiohead and Agent Orange.

sounds like a great rumor for a underground white rapper who came out after eminem to spread about himself.

(sween, i'm loving ramp. 'i just love you' and 'look to the sky' are my jams right now. but its one of those few records i own that i think is too precious to play.)

• montymonty 420 Posts
    how come nobody's mentioned the STARK REALITY SAMPLE on the first track of that page?!!

PAGING MONTY!
    heh..... thanks for the page.

i listened to "Left It To Us" with the "All You Need To Make Music" sample.... even ordered the cd just for sentimental's sake.

sounded/felt cold/soulless - maybe that's just me - i didn't listen to what he's rappin about - i'll listen to it again.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

sounded/felt cold/soulless - maybe that's just me - i didn't listen to what he's rappin about - i'll listen to it again.

yeah, it is cold/soulless. Its not just you.

DONT listen to what he is rappin about.

• I was going to reply to this thread, then I listened to the sound clip on Cage's myspace page and thought......"what could I possibly say that can't be heard on that clip?"

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

BEST SHIT EVAR!!!!

For Real !! Plaese to make this an official gremlin.

- spidey

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    sounds like a great rumor for a underground white rapper who came out after eminem to spread about himself.

LOL,have you even read this thread? Cage had material on wax YEARS before Eminem even released anything.

And for the record i'm a fan of Cage.I liked the Leak Bros album and his solo album on eastern conference as well the Nighthawks album.
    Where's the "I celebrate his entire catalog" gremlin when you need it.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

LOL,have you even read this thread? Cage had material on wax YEARS before Eminem even released anything.

what did cage release before 97?
    in my own timeline, i remember eminem going at it on the radio and then dropping 'just the two of us' that year, and i thought cage's first release was that (dope) radiohead 12" in 98. i'm guessing they were probably coming up around the same time, but em definitely got known - amongst the underground and above - before cage.

• Nighthawks album.

• as a white guy myself(that would never try to rap)..I really cant stand white rappers except for paul wall at the moment. all that non phixon-cage-necro-blah blah blah shit all sucks. maybe its just me..and what do I know. I just cant get into it. Id be embarrassed for people to hear that shit bumping from my ride...where Mr Wall on the other hand sounds great coming outta the trunk.

Please read

taken from Cage's website. www.cagekennylz.com

18 years old, fresh out of the lodge, Cage decided to pursue his the talent he honed while in hell and try to become a professional rapper. He made a demo, got a manager and was introduced to Pete Nice of 3rd Bass fame. Pete featured Cage on his solo effort " Dust to Dust[/b] " on the song " Rich Bring ???Em Back[/b] " in 1993[/b] . This was his first appearance on a rap record.

In 1997[/b] , Cage???s friend and mentor Bobbito Garcia started his own independent label Fondle 'Em Records, and offered cage a twelve inch deal. Refocused and determined to get it right this time, Cage penned the single Agent Orange b/w Radiohead. The single would go on to be one of the landmark records of the golden era of NYC underground/independent rap music and propelled Cage into cult star status.

And if your still not certain about the year of release of that single,it was reviewed in the source magazine in the JULY 1997 issue by Chairman Mao in the section called sure shot singles.

"Dancing on the tombstone of horrorcore's long-buried corpse, this New York underground MC's single forges into its own steez of lunatic-fringe hysteria. Propelled by its slinky bassline groove, 'Radiohead's' relatively straight-up blueprint for sucker-prevention is laces with sick-of-it-all autobiographical accounts. However, Cage, and producer accomplice Necro, save their best move for the ingenious B-side, the Clockwork Orange homage, 'Agent Orange.' Lifting its melody from the motion picture's theme music and its chorus from the Genius' 'Liquid Swords' album intro, Cage frenziedly transposes futuristic ultraviolet thug life mentalities to fantamasgorical rhyme ciphers. Demented rap strikes again." - Chairman Mao, THE SOURCE

taken from http://sandbox.pair.com/fondle/7.html