Does anybody actually like Cage?

DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I mean really?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    his verse on pete nice's lp was

• love the dude as a conceptualizer and an artist, love reading his writings and I have a lot of respect for his theories, but I cant listen to his records...I dont think his music was really meant to be listened to at home...I think the "idea" of his music and actually witnessing a performance was what it was made for, just my opinion.

wait are you talking about John Cage? prolly not, my bad.

• love the dude as a conceptualizer and an artist, love reading his writings and I have a lot of respect for his theories, but I cant listen to his records...I dont think his music was really meant to be listened to at home...I think the "idea" of his music and actually witnessing a performance was what it was made for, just my opinion.

ha! that's who I was thinking of...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I do

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

that is true. But after that.

love the dude as a conceptualizer and an artist, love reading his writings and I have a lot of respect for his theories, but I cant listen to his records...I dont think his music was really meant to be listened to at home...I think the "idea" of his music and actually witnessing a performance was what it was made for, just my opinion.

yeah sorry, I meant that whack fuckin white rapper who thinks its ok to use the word "nigga"

• nope

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

MUDBONE!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I thought you were talking about Nicholas Cage because of that movie Lord of War....

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That Radiohead 12" is my SHIT!

it's just you and me daze

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

fuck if I care, I'll play that record till I die. And my homie that's on here occasionally is just as exited about it too, so there's 3 of us.

fuck if I care, I'll play that record till I die. And my homie that's on here occasionally is just as exited about it too, so there's 3 of us.

charter members: soulstrut cage fan club

• That Radiohead 12" is my SHIT!

I like "Agent Orange," so that's like four of us. Let's take over and shut this board down!

• his verse on pete nice's lp was

MUDBONE!MIILKBONE!

• Nah. I'd still rather listen to him than Necro though.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i know i'm setting my self up to get by faux (again), but i don't know guys, i think this album (minus like two unlistenable songs) is great

i think my biggest problem with a lot of underground rappers is that they don't really take the time to conceptually flesh out their songs. or they'll have one-two "high concept" rap songs on their album and then fill it out with some garbage ass rapping about rapping. but cage really got his shit together and made a very personal, well written record.

but the artwork is so ugly. def jux needs to step up their design game.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Anyone familiar with Cage's NY radio appearances and bootlegs throughout the mid-90s knows that he equaled the Pete Nice verse many times over. There is just no denying that he had a consistent output of amazing verses, sick flow, etc. around that time. Just refer to "The Muppet Show" or his WFMU promo with Godfather Don. Dude could most definately rap. And he was/is mad clever on top of that.

*HOWEVER*

Having said that, I find it very hard defending Cage as a "good rapper" because of how repellent I find the whole woman-hating, gay-bashing, n-word using, chest-beating persona. It's not just off-putting how much he seems to knowingly embrace that shit- it's actually downright confusing in light of equally representative verses from him about burying "judges and decision makers" "underground in black-owned acres" etc.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I'll play that record till I die

• Anyone familiar with Cage's NY radio appearances and bootlegs throughout the mid-90s knows that he equaled the Pete Nice verse many times over. There is just no denying that he had a consistent output of amazing verses, sick flow, etc. around that time. Just refer to "The Muppet Show" or his WFMU promo with Godfather Don.

Unless you post mp3s we cannot possibly believe you on this.

Anyone familiar with Cage's NY radio appearances and bootlegs throughout the mid-90s knows that he equaled the Pete Nice verse many times over. There is just no denying that he had a consistent output of amazing verses, sick flow, etc. around that time. Just refer to "The Muppet Show" or his WFMU promo with Godfather Don.

yeah.

I forgot about that Radiohead/Agent Orange shit. That was hella dope. I guess I meant more along the lines of anything sense then, and especially that hells winter shit.

My boy is going ape over it and i cannot for the life of me figure it out. and he just showed me cages myspace site. http://www.myspace.com/cagekennylz

dude looks like a hipster rocker or some shit.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Anyone familiar with Cage's NY radio appearances and bootlegs throughout the mid-90s knows that he equaled the Pete Nice verse many times over. There is just no denying that he had a consistent output of amazing verses, sick flow, etc. around that time. Just refer to "The Muppet Show" or his WFMU promo with Godfather Don.

yeah.

I forgot about that Radiohead/Agent Orange shit. That was hella dope. I guess I meant more along the lines of anything sense then, and especially that hells winter shit.

My boy is going ape over it and i cannot for the life of me figure it out. and he just showed me cages myspace site. http://www.myspace.com/cagekennylz

dude looks like a hipster rocker or some shit.

but his 'about me' section is pretty apt

"I gave up Ninjitsu and Bmx for rap music when i was 14.I just completed my new album Hell's Winter ,You will probably hate it."

• rookrook 357 Posts
    he drops it on el's 'accidents dont happen' -filthy beat. cage is obnoxious but over the right grime he's ite. straight outta orange county

• some of the leak bro's ish is meh
    some is good

• rookrook 357 Posts
    he acts like a foll on the def jux dvd, bitchin about a club where he stubbed his toe or sum

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Touche. Unfortunately my only internet connection is at work, where I am utterly mp3less. You can trust me, tho.

And I forgot about the guest verse on the el-p album. That was a great, relatively recent example of how dope he can be. It's actually the only track I can really listen to off that album.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Bought Cage's tape, opened it & dubbed over it.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Touche. Unfortunately my only internet connection is at work, where I am utterly mp3less. You can trust me, tho.

And I forgot about the guest verse on the el-p album. That was a great, relatively recent example of how dope he can be. It's actually the only track I can really listen to off that album.

Nah I've heard that muppet show ish. It is dope...He comes with the nice political Metaphor. I have always kinda liked his old stuff but never really could feel cats he does stuff with

• Bought Cage's tape, opened it & dubbed over it.

how? you bought that shit on cassette?