WEEKEND DIGS...

1235»

Comments

• and this record, which had no sleeve and is really really good. Can anyone shed any light on this? I don't really know Latin stuff very well, but tis is amazing - every track is nice in my opinion. Any info and value of this would be appreciated.

Artist: Mr. Bongo featuring Gerrie Woo
    Title: Viva Tirado

"Mr. Bongo" is a guy named Jack Costanza (Costanzo[/b]?) who released a bunch of cool latin LPs under his own name (I don't know why thie one came out as Mr. Bongo but the missing jacket may solve that mystery). Gerrie Woo was his wife.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i never got to post my finds from last week. there was a lot.
    but here is what i found this week.-- total spent this weekend 12 bucks--

a dollar spent on a box of 78s. there was a norman granz jazz one-- tons of acetates and audition records in there. haven't listened to but a few, which seem to be mostly recordings of radio shows spun at 33rpm, but i have no idea baout al lthe others. it's cool to hear old advertisements though.

lots of this stuff is to resell -- all in excellent shape--

ruin -- he-ho lp (3rd copy)
    van dyke parks -- song cycle lp (3rd copy)
    sandra & david -- s/t lp (early 70s soul/funk private press from bermuda)
    richard cobett -- sensitive cat (still sealed . private press mid 70s soul jazz from the looks of it)
    oscar peterson trio w/ milt jackson --very tall lp
    oscar peterson trio -- the trio lp
    the oscar peterson trio and the gerry mulligan quartet at newport lp
    grand encounter: john lewis/percy heath/bill perkins/chico hamilton lp (pacific jazz. 1962. considered one of the top west coast jazz records.it's worths some bread, so i am contemplating selling it)

the california poppy pickers lp (psych-sploitation record. as seen in incredibly strange music and i think doubl decker has a copy of it right now for 30 bucks i think, though i'm not exactly sure why. it kind of sucks. but i guess it is sought after?)
    v/a: out of sight! lp (like my 5th copy of it-- includes the beachnuts --- lou reed pre velvet underground)
    harpers bizarre -- anything goes lp
    zombies -- time of the 2xlp
    the fireballs -- come on, react! lp (mediocre, not so hot late 60s rock/pop)
    logans run soundtrack lp (jerry goldsmith. includes some moog/electronic stuff. pretty good)
    arthur "guitar boogie" smith and his crackerjacks -- mister guitar lp

isaura garcia -- lp (female brazilian pop from 69. nice)
    johnny ventura y su combo show -- la protesta de los feos lp
    v/a: guarachngeando sandungeando lp (pepe reyes, rafael cabeza, combo sumpuesano, angel vasquez, pedro osorio, angel nino. from colombia. pretty good, entertaining, more raw sounding salsa)

45s --

the family circle -- change/if you really make it
    michael olatunji -- soul makossa pt 1/2
    morty jay -- i don't care if the sun don't shine/beef-eater
    davey dee,dozy, beaky, mick and tich -- you know what i want/hold tight!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Is this guy's stuff actually good? I've never been game to try.

i got those for 10 cents.. so, it was hard not to try!
    haven't listened to them yet, but i'm thinking its pretty standard bop. the one with mj has to be him on vibes, so it probably sounds kind of like a modern jazz quartet style.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    i got those for 10 cents.. so, it was hard not to try!
    haven't listened to them yet, but i'm thinking its pretty standard bop. the one with mj has to be him on vibes, so it probably sounds kind of like a modern jazz quartet style.

Ok ok, with prices like that, eben if they are wack, you're making money if you sold them for a buck! But yeah - so there ain't nuthin funky on his rekkids iz thur?

• and this record, which had no sleeve and is really really good. Can anyone shed any light on this? I don't really know Latin stuff very well, but tis is amazing - every track is nice in my opinion. Any info and value of this would be appreciated.

Artist: Mr. Bongo featuring Gerrie Woo
    Title: Viva Tirado

"Mr. Bongo" is a guy named Jack Costanza (Costanzo[/b]?) who released a bunch of cool latin LPs under his own name (I don't know why thie one came out as Mr. Bongo but the missing jacket may solve that mystery). Gerrie Woo was his wife.

Trivia!

* During the brief "bongo craze" in the fifties, mr Costanzo was an in-demand teacher... reportedly showing Marlon Brando, James Dean and others how to get down.

*He met Gerrie Woo at one of Hugh Hefner's parties. She used to be a playmate.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Oscar Peterson is one of the great piano players in jazz. Like many players, he is taken for granted because he was not considered to be as innovative like Monk or Bud Powell, and he was not the reknowned composer like Ellington, Randy Weston,etc. But he made tons of nice records(my faves are on Verve, stuff like "On the Town with..") and gets a bad rap(meaning he is considered "sleepy" or "dull") because he fell in between the big movements in Jazz and never made a 'heavy' funk record(although there is a Rhodes LP he did I am still looking for and I believe someone here "Ishe"-ed).

Short answer, yeah, he's one of the great jazz pianists with plenty of good stuff. Just a lot to wade thru.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yes, he is very very good. Subjectively speaking, of course.

• Options
    Oscar is the man. There' some jungle drums on "Walking The Line" (MPS) and some ill-rhodes funk 45's only put out here in Canada. I'll get you some names when I find them....besides being one of the kindest, most giving human beings I've ever met.

Found this funky Studio 1 45 for a bean ($1). Soooooo glad I read the Studio 1 matrix book in the can.

K.

• Soooooo glad I read the Studio 1 matrix book in the can.

You really do scare me.

• Actually my best find this weekend was online. Was recommended an artist from private press jazz fiend #1, then listened to a cut over the phone from friend #2, checked on GEMM and found one seller who had almost the entire discography up. Made him a low low offer and its on its way. It's really amazing to me what you can pick up online for a few bucks.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Hidden Strength S/T (United Artists, 75)

And a couple of hot to death 45s...

Brothers Seven "Funky Smunk" / "Evil Ways" (Funk 45 reissue, obviously)

El Michaels Affair "Creation" / "Behind The Blue" (Truth & Soul, 2005)

• tell me about this record

from the previous week, since i was asked about it via pm) ---

from thrifts and fleas--e verything 25 cents to a dollar each.

meredith monk -- key lp (og. listening to her right now. it's killing me! in a good way!)
    rocio durcal -- buenos dias condesita --banda original del film (awesome awesome awesome latin soundtrack from the 60s -- from exotic, strange interludes -- to georgeous female latin pop )

v/a: the exciting new liverpool sound" the authentic mersey beat lp (recorded in liverpool -- white label promo copy--w/ ian and the zodiacs, rory storm and the hurricanes, mark peters and the silhouettes, faron's flamingoes, the del renas, earl preston and the t.t.'s)

ed badeaux -- american guitar (folkways lp . david stone martin cover art)
    qawwali: sufi music from pakistan by the sabri brothers & ensemble lp (nonesuch explorer series)
    pallawi: south indian flute music lp (nonesuch explorer series)
    tom ze : postmodern platos 12" ep (remixes by amon tobin, john mcentire, sasha-frere jones of ui, and more)
    cristina: s/t lp
    flying lizards -- s/t lp (who knows how many copies of this i have--- i've at least given 4 of them away, but i have a few more duplicates here)

the zeet band -- moogie woogie lp (chess. funky moog psych. the guys from the electric flag did this. pretty top notch.)

les loups noirs -- music band for lovers (afro beat/highlife. pretty good)

the triffids -- born sandy devotional lp (rough trade. aussie college/post-punk)

this pussy belongs to me (ummm... x-rated comedy songs lp. cheesecake nudie cover with bare breasted redhead with a pussy cat on her lap. beacon label)
    "smarty" party songs --(same kind of deal, but no nudie cover)

sedatives lp (a filmstrip record put out by the "guidance associates". halarious. no date, but from the early 70s i think. meant to scare teens away from drugs. it is all about "sedatives" and has pretty funny skits about people talking about popping pills, going on about thier trips, alcohol, marijuana, and other downers. would be great for sampling. too bad this didn't have the film strip! because it is really ridiculous)

fausto rey -- II lp
    cantemos villancicos: coro parroquaial del sufragio (this is a nice latin record with lots of nice, almost toy instrument sound of percussion going on. not "batucadas" ala brazilian music, but different. )

and these were all free from a former nyc dj guy whose garage was flooded. last fall, i went to his yard sale and picked up a copy of liquid liquid's optimo 12" fopr 50 cents among others. but he wanted to sell everything.and he had thousands of records. i gave his number to a record store guy because i don't have the kind of dough i think he would have wanted for all of them. i mean literally--the entire garage was records. but then there was a massive flood . and the guy from the record shop i know bought a lot, but didn't want a lot either. it was cool though, because the guy from the record shop gave me 75 bucks credit just for telling him about it.
    and... i got to go over to the guys place and pick up what i wanted for free....

biz markie -- goin' off lp (2nd copy. still sealed)
    barundi black -- s/t 12" (still sealed)
    viktor uwaifo -- 5 days a week love/arabade 12" (afrobeat on makossa)
    cloud nine -- play by numbers 12" ep (nyc post-punk/dance early 80s)
    3rd bass -- steppin' to the am 12" (still sealed... ugh. half of these were still sealed. i'm going to stop with that)
    kj and 'da fellas -- get retarded (now go)/do the spuds 12" (miami bass/electro)
    the bendeth band -- i was there 12
    treacherous three-- yes we can-can 12'
    kebelektrik -- magic fly 12" (awesome)
    brooklyn express-- unknown 12" test pressing hot tracks (mixed by tee scott/began cekic)
    yellow magic orchestra -- computer games 12"
    house train 12"

otis brown's Grade A -- strut on 12" (probably my fave of all the disco/dance records/ from 1980. otb records. pretty obscure left-field 12"/BREAKS!)
    the fantastic aleems -- get down friday night 12" (nia. no date. looks like an earlier nia logo, light blue label. looks pretty scarce. hot track)
    lots of...
    nick straker --little bit of 12" (white label. 3 copies of this. all still sealed)
    brooklyn express 12"s (still sealed)
    martin circus lps and 12"s on prelude and vogue
    jamaica girls -- rock the beat,
    blowfly -- business deal promo 12
    other 12"s from ---
    true mathematics, c.o.d., inner life,
    bon rock & cotton candy (early tommy boy), ottawan, amoretto, buckelew (sleeping bag), chuck roberson, boys town gang, klique, honeydrippers, philly society,
    material, weeks and co, the bang gang (sugarscoop), brother to brother,, jonzun crew, microchip leage (mcl), , desire, janice christie, paul mc douglas --geil 12" (zyx), voyage,fast radio, gayle adams lp, viola willis, lydia murdock , left lane -- bam jam 12" , the strikers, patrick cowley -- tech-no-logical world 12" (awesome), k.i.d, sugar & spice (is this the jj fad ladiez?) , karen silver, don armados , konk, a bunch more.... and that's all i'm writing.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

les loups noirs -- music band for lovers (afro beat/highlife. pretty good)

they're a haitian group. not highlife, style of music is compas. good group though, led by Gardner lalanne.

yo aleit,
    thanks for clearing that up that they are from haiti and not from africa. it is difficult for me honestly to figure some of this out, as the writing appeared to be french (making me think of the colonised lands, but you remind me that the french had many colonies) and it was distributed by african music worldwide here in the states.

i know afro music is your thing. i have many african records --- knowing a good deal about the nonesuch explorer and folkways field recordings from the 50s-70s, and i have some obvious afrobeat/funky records, but there is a lot of really interesting pop music african stuff i don't know how to categorize.
    would you care to share some of your knowledge on the subject? is there a website or anything you reccomend?

De La Cruz Band - Maskara LP

Atmospheres - Trip to Uranus LP

El Coco - Cocomotion LP

Narnia boot on Solar Circus... 012 of 300

Errol Garner on MPS

Flip Phillips 10"

Michael Urbaniak - Exstacy

+ more

40 "dolla".

• tell me about this record

No One Can Do It Better!