WEEKEND DIGS...

ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
edited April 2005 in Record Collecting
---Korean copy...Sealed!Also a SUN acetate 45!!!Charlene Mitchell...some teen vocal steez.And Chase hit me with all the new Memphix 45s too!THIS WAS THE COME UP... What did you ballers score?

Comments

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i used to have that Gal lp...wasn't too crazy about it but now my tastes my like later-70s brazillian a bit more.

i scored pretty big today:

Exodus "together forever" 12" on Charlotte Amelie...disco grail and one of my favorite tunes ever. never thought i'd find a copy.

Ian Dury "spasticus autisticus" / dub version 12"...haven't seen on of these in years...Compass Point disco not disco at it's finest.

The Monster Orchestra Strikes Again lp...nice white-label of this tough to find last John Davis lp. contains the sought-after version of "bourgie bourgie" with the breakbeat.

Ten City "that's the way love is" 12"...i heard this last week on Kiss FM and thought...i need this! and now i have it. classic chi-house produced by marshall jefferson...jack your body!

Count Coolout "rhythm rap rock" 12" on Boss...minty copy of this disco-rap rarity...breaks for days on the instrumental.

Bay City Rollers "don't stop the music" 12"...very rare canadian record pool with disco mix that starts off with great drums...worth about $130 more than what i paid on it.

One to One "body music" 12"...nice boogie cut, different than the strikers "body music".

and this 12" from Paris is Burning with a les rythmes digitales mix...i sort of collect his stuff.

spent $40 total.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I posted some shit that midweek finds thing, but seeing how its Thursday I'll just repost it here:

Champaign[/b] "How Bout Us" (Columbia) - seriously one of my new favorite modern soul LP's every track is nice

Sweet Marie[/b] "1" (Yard Bird) - Hawaiian group with a black rock sound. Very funky & Hendrix like. Thanks to all who supplied me with info on this rackord

Sandra Fava[/b] Savoir Faire" (Venture) - increidble opening track. the rest of the album is ok, but teh 1st track is just so nice that it makes up for any mediocrity

Sam Cooke[/b] "So Wonderful" (Famous) - Original press. excellent version of Gershwin's "Summertime".

Victor Wood[/b] "In Despair" (???) - Filipino garage rock release. Guys voice is terrible but the backing band, the Ramrods ain't half bad.

Leroy Hutson[/b] "Closer To The Source" (Curtom) - I've had the album 4 or 5 times and never actually listened to it until now. I think I'll keep this copy

Rinlew Allstars[/b] "S/T" (AVI) - modern soul from '79 that the Black Vinyl addict dude posted about on his website. I originally bought this as a joke but I actually like it now.

Keith Sweat[/b] "Make It Last Forever" (Vintertainment) - German press. I'm still trying to find a decent copy of Tevin Campbells 2nd LP & the Johnny Gill with "My My My" on it.

Stylistics[/b] "S/T" (Avco) - german press. Great album that I never bothered to pick up before. an essential in any good soul collection

• Sam Cooke "So Wonderful" (Famous) - Original press.

RCA??? It's Friday player.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Sam Cooke "So Wonderful" (Famous) - Original press.

RCA??? It's Friday player.

No its on Famous which I tihnk is a division of Keene recrods. F-508.

Damn it is Friday...that goes to show where my mind is

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    it has been an all 45 weekend so far

Joanne Gayles[/b] "Dont shake my tree/meet me half way"(Bright Star)
    talked about this one already, a bangin ass 2 sider

Joe Chopper and swinging 7 soul band[/b] "Soul pusher/for the good times"(Lanor)
    blind purchase, turns out "soul pusher" is just a raw-assed take on the Gaturs "Cold Bear"...I like

Russ Lewis[/b] "Brand New Recipe/love made me blue"(Sharp)
    picked it up because I was familar with "Brand new recipe" and liked it, but the real winner is the gangsta soul cut on the flip

Gene Chandler [/b]"There was a time/Those were the good old days"(Brunswick)
    might be the hottest Gene Chandler out there, whoop-ass take on james brown classic

Howlin Wolf[/b]"I had a dream/pop it to me"(Chess)
    another funky Howlin Wolf side! a bite of of "Sock it to me"...great!!!

Wayne Cochran[/b] "Harlem Shuffle/Chopper 70"(King)
    the a-side is pretty good, but "Chopper 70" is tha lick..heavy funk y'all

James Brown[/b] "hey america" vocal/instro(King) pic sleeve
    never heard this James Brown Christmas song, but dont have to wait 8 months to play it out cause the instro flip is where it is at with this one...

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    ahh, its good to be able to buy records again, jobs are sweet. went to go buy the new edan album but the dude who worked there took it for himself, bastard. picked up these instead:

12"s

reggie griffin & technofunk "mirda rock"
    positive k "carhoppers" promo i think? its white and says island, but i think it may be a boot
    public enemy "911 is a joke"
    public enemy "brothers gonna work it out"
    cam'ron "down and out"
    dj quik "tonite"
    willie d "play witcha mama"
    naughty by nature "hip hop hooray"
    lifers group "the real deal"
    snoop dogg "lets get blown"
    the nonce "live and direct"
    ll cool j "im that type of guy"
    peter brown "do you wanna get funky with me"

and a couple of others

LPs

the tapes "on a clear day"
    holly near "hang in there"

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Privatepresspsychmegaraer! 50 cents. NM.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4017431563

• so far :

Black Ivory "Don't Turn Around" LP
    Blues Magoos "Never Goin' Back To Georgia" LP
    Lowell Fullsom "Tramp" LP
    a couple of Fausto Papetti joints
    John Davis and The Monster Orchestra "Up Jumped The Devil" LP
    "Day Of The Dead" OST LP
    Roy Ayers "Coffy OST" LP - stone cold mint
    Keni Burke "Risin' To The Top" 12"
    Pieces Of A Dream "Mt. Airy Groove" 12"
    Count Coolout "Rhythm Rap Rock" 12" on Boss
    Jackson 5ive "Get It Together" LP sealed
    Elaine Brown "s/t" LP on Black Forum
    "Guess Who's Coming Home" LP on Black Forum
    The Last Poets "Right On" LP

+ some Albert Ayler and Sun Ra cassettes for the whip

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

pop artists:

usha uthup-24 carats
    babla & orchestra-bhula bisre geet

hindi soundtracks:

tumhaare bina-raam iaxman
    jeena hai pyar mein-bassu manohari
    gambler-s.d. burman
    joshila-r.d. burman
    tumse achha kaun hai-shankar jakishan
    morchaa-bappi lahiri
    pasand apni apni-bappi lahiri
    do kaliyan-ravi
    qaidi-r.d. burman
    jawaani-r.d. burman
    saagar-r.d. burman
    mera saathi-bappi lahiri
    pakhandee-laxmikant pyarelal
    sharmilee-s.d. burman
    rocky (no AYO ADRIAN!)-r.d. burman-this has the fonkiest track i've heard on a hindi soundtrack yet-better than any track on shalimar in my opinion

classical:

yehudi menuhin and ravi shankar-west meets east (vol. 1)
    shivkumar sharma w/zakir hussain-kirwani: live at rang bhavan bombay

bonus beats:

shalimar 45-r.d. burman-with 3 tracks incl. one of my favories naag devta (but not the title theme or baby let's dance together)
    manu dibango-soul makossa (indian pressing)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Paris finds from this week:

Serge Gainsbourg - ...Melodie Nelson (Philips) (x2, one for bambouche of the Request Squad)
    Ice - Afro Instrumental LP (Musidisc)
    Luis Agudo - Afrosamba (Red Record)

And the big pick:

Ananda Shankar and His Music (EMI)...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Digs at my favourite and oh-so-secret spot

and this record, which had no sleeve and is really really good. Can anyone shed any light on this? I don't really know Latin stuff very well, but tis is amazing - every track is nice in my opinion. Any info and value of this would be appreciated.

Artist: Mr. Bongo featuring Gerrie Woo
    Title: Viva Tirado

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    these pictures represent about a weeks worth of driving up and down the west coast, hitting every spot i could hit while doing unrelated work and play. i have some friends who live in some pretty out of the way areas, so there were some cool scores at some weird used bookstores, flea markets, etc out in the middle of nowhere. plus hit some obvious big city spots. WA, OR, CA. everything was cheap except the Lightning Hopkins which was a VG at $50 and a crazy bargain at that price. im planning on keeping these, but i did get a lot of doubles/tradables (not pictured) ill list when im back east and can get my crap together.

and here it is... .50 cents and worth every penny! has anyone ever seen this in person? i always thought it was an internet urban legend.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Nice digs, Shig's gonna really want that Mazzy Star.

• Man, we had boxes of these sealed at my work. We used them to package and send out other records (ditch the vinyl and use the empty jacket to protect corners when mailing). Before I started working there my boss bought a barroom full of Casablanca stuff, all unplayed. There's still tons of stuff kicking around our store from that buy.

My favorite thing from that haul: pink tight Village People tank tops - classic!

SONIC

• some latin and 8 tracks

alma-s/t '77 (dope latin cover of stevie's another star)

orquesta-el chile verde- edicion 2 (got a chili pepper on the front holding two pistols and a peace sign belt buckle and the record is hot.)

heres a clip of el chile verde, peep the changeup 3 minutes in!:

http://s21.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0K3OSLYSKWE391FY9EESMUAP9X

any info on the above two?

lps

van mccoy-disco baby

nilsson-pandemonium shadow show

ramsey lewis-piano player (cadet)

8tracks

marvin gaye-lets get it on

racket squad-corners of your mind (w/ gomlw)

i know someone on here was buying 8 tracks. holler at me for trade.

• Privatepresspsychmegaraer! 50 cents. NM.

Should I be melting too? What is this?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Marlena Shaw - Spice Of Life
    Cleo Bradford - Her Point Of View
    (both courtesy of 3rdstream)

and

Impressions - Check Out Your Mind

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

Should I be melting too? What is this?

I've only spun it once. Some great tracks, some pretty bad ones. Here's a description someone else wrote describing the CD reissue.

FENNER, LELAND & O'BRIEN Somewhere, Someday, Somehow US '97 LP $20
    Unknown LP in a very limited reissue from1969 (pressed then in only150 copies). This was originally issued on the RPC Vanity label, also home of Rubber Memory. A stunning LP filled with that broken dreamer vibe, where youthful idealism and naivete met the cold facts of Vietnam and the government's "true intentions". The resulting sound is somewhat akin to some of Bryan MacLean's work with LOVE and Crosby's "Wooden Ships", yet this music is all their own. Some excellent fuzz on a couple tracks, and hailed by all who have heard it. Original copies sell for seriously lofty amounts!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

still sealed shaft in africa

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    just a few things today

Billy Cobham-Crosswinds
    Louis Hayes Group-Variety is the Spice
    Saheb Sarbib quartet-Seasons
    Bar Kays-Holy Ghost 12"

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

can we get some sound clips????? or send me a CD holmes! Ill trade you some goodies

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Today's work

The Paragons - Return - Wackies
    George Braith - Musart - Prestige
    Lenny Williams - Spark Of Love - ABC
    Aurra - When I Come Home/In The Mood To Groove - Dream
    Roger Troutman - The Many Facets Of Roger - WB
    Jon Lucien - Best Of - Columbia
    Silvertones - Silver Bullets - Trojan (Scratch Prod.)
    Francine Simone - Let Your Body Run/Inst. - BC
    The Originals - Another Time Another Place - Fantasy
    Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life - Tamla (wow, a mint copy with the poster & 7")
    Malo - S/T - WB
    Tito Puente/Mongo Santamaria/Willie Bobo/Patato - Puente In Percussion - Tico (2nd Press)
    Howard Tate - Get It While You Can - Verve (mono promo)
    Prince - For You - WB
    Loose Ends - A Little Spice - MCA
    Bernard Wright - 'Nard - GRP
    Fela Ransome-Kuti & Afrika '70 - Confusion - EMI
    Orquesta Broadway -Salvaje - Coco
    Sun Ra - Nidhamu - El Saturn
    Love - Out Here - Blue Thumb
    Geto Boys - Mind Playing Tricks On Me/Inst - Rap-A-Lot
    Cloud One - Atmosphere Strut - P&P (LP)
    Eddie Holman - I Love You - ABC
    Leon Ware - Inside Is Love - Fabulous
    Pharoah Sanders ft. Leon Thomas - Shukuru - Theresa

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Ray Alexander Technique - Let's Talk LP
    rescued from the sun at a flea market

• Ray Alexander Technique - Let's Talk LP
    rescued from the sun at a flea market

Man, all I caught was a case of dust poisoning out this morning. No ONE record anywhere. Definitely no sun-ra hiding out.

Staring at ass crack of old weirdbeard who wanders around the market from 7AM. has one of those little wire push carts and smells like cigars really bad.

That reminds me, last weekend I was there and he sees me next to the records and says "so do they have scratches?" and I kinda laugh and say "yeah they're pretty well-loved." and he says kind of irritated, "that's NOT what I was asking... I was ASKING if they were scratched!" and I'm just left like yeah that's what I was GETTING AT. nice chatting with ya.

PS: he put back all the lawrence welk he was checking out. I guess it was too scratched.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Definitely no sun-ra hiding out.

The story on that is kind of funny... a dude tried to throw me on a wild goose chase because he was getting a lead on the batch, which was mostly reggae 45s... well, long story short, when I finally got there dude hadn't even touched the LPs. Sun Ra (in E condition), Eddie Holman, Cloud One LPs for $2? Yes plaese.

It never pays to play dirty.

• Way to hold your cards close to your chest!

That sun-ra has a dope synth solo for like a whole side of the record, right?

I've found that cloud one at least 3 times the last year. One just last week. I don't care for it, but it's popular... always goes out my door quick.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    close to your chest! always goes out my door quick.

ayo!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    45's

-Roy C-Open Letter to the President/Got to get enough (Alaga)
    -Jo Ann Garrett-You Can't Come In (Chess)
    -Queen Yahna-Aint it Time/Instru. (P&P) This is really dope early disco. not the 12'' but this will do.
    -The Meters-Good Ole Funky Music(Josie)
    -The James Boys-The Horse/The Mule(Phil-LA of Soul)
    -Joe Quarterman & Free Soul-This Girl of Mine/I Feel Like This (GSF)
    -Harvey Scales & The 7 Sounds-Funkt Football/Get Down 1970 (Chess)
    -Clarence Reid-Funky Party/Winte Man (Dash) 2 Real dope 45 only Reid cuts from 74.
    -Clarence Reid-I'm going to Do something Good to You (Alston) more 45 only reid tracks.
    -Della Humphrey-Don't Make the Good Girls Go Bad/Your Love is All I Need (Artic) Miami Soul on Philly Label. Della was 12/13 when this was recorded.
    -Jane Birkin-Je Taime/Jane B (WB) Pic Sleeve. The b side was on one of those Moldy Fingers lp's or something.

Lp's
    -Herbie Hancock-Flood (CBS) Unplayed copy of this Japan only lp. "Hang Up You Hang-Up's" is transformed to a 19+ minute jazz funk jam.
    -Eddie Hazel-Dames, Games & Guitar Thangs (WB) "Frantic Moment" is @ least for me. The lyrics are great. Can't fake on the version of "California Dreamin"
    -Earth Wind & Fire-The Need of Love (WB) Double...
    -Horace Silver-United States of Mind Phase 3 (Blue Note) It's no "Song For My Father" but for a buck I can't complain.
    -The Insect Trust-Hoboken Saturday Night (Atco) Upgrade copy of this EZ to find psych lp.
    -Ramsey Lewis-Solar Wind (Columbia) I've never seen this b4 ...Good LP!
    Alexis Korner-Bootleg Him (Reprise) "Sunrise" sounds like it was left off one of those Chapter 3 lp...Thank You Diminishing Returns for putting up on this.