what r u listen'n 2

Comments

• (bernie voice) In my view... to "lay some pipe" can serve... as a euphemism both for sex, and, let's not forget, taking a dump, and in cases such as these... context... is everything. (huge audience applause)
    Duderonomy

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    The Algorithm suggested this to me (although I think I've listened to a bunch of stuff on this channel before):

nice and chill Brazilian afrobeat by way of some dude from Budapest or something like that

Electrodeklezmer electro-thug beats

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I had a DJ gig a few weeks ago at the Japanese ambassador's residence for the Iceland-Japan Society so I dug out my city pop jamz which I hadn't listened to in a while.

A lot of the city pop records are super hit-and-miss but I found that this ("Misslim" by Yumi Arai, later Yumi Matsutoya) is a really solid listen throughout. Love her vocal style and laid back vibe. It's a bit too early for the city pop label perhaps, more folk mixed with funk.

ketan

• Hey Girl-The Temptations- Skylark[Aretha].

• Smoky Joe's Cafe[The Coasters].

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    A lot of Don Rendell & Ian Carr: Blue Mosque for starters.

Also Bachanal by Gabor Szabo.
    JimsterMondeyano

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Was on a Rendell/Carr trip in the Summer.  I think it was seeing this and teleporting mentally into the field and just really getting the late sixties, 3:30PM August Dapper Scarecrow vibes.  You know what I mean.

Right now it's...

Bass spectrum is massive on this.  Forget about merely knocking - Like being inside a cathedral when the Vikings are battering the door.  If you have gringdonkleous bass on your system, let me know how this goes. Changes darker after the vocal.  Has to be the LBB Emerald Japan mix.  Mmmmmmmm.
    Duderonomyketan

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Colonel Bagshot - 6 Day War
    ketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Colonel Bagshot - 6 Day War

makes me think of a really real tribute mix jon sikich put together when shadow dropped the album - it was full of drums and other samples/vibes.  he was sharing it with some nice handicraft packaging at the time. i'm going to try to find my copy....

https://qameferaq.bandcamp.com/album/dupont-helali <-- been  

Duderonomy

• getting a lot of requests from my 2 year old for 'twinkle twinkle little star' and 'wind the bobbin up'. realized i don't know many kids songs, and know precisely zero of the gestures/actions you're supposed to do to them. that's my music life at the moment... oh yeah and this:

ketanElectrodeDuderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Shawn Lee is great. I've been a fan since someone gave me a copy of the Ping Pong Orchestra "Moods And Grooves" for free way back.

Been in a Brian Eno mood lately. My Antilles copy of "Music For Films" isn't in that great condition so it ruins the ambient vibe somewhat, but I really enjoy it

Dom Salvador is coming to LA this summer so I listened to this for the first time. 

This one is next

Sons Of Kemet are also playing here soon.

DuderonomyppadilhaJimster

• Just groovin with Miss Sarah Vaughan.
    ketanJimsterElectrode

Was listening to Sarah over the weekend a lot.  Damn, she could sing.  Even when she was sick AF...

Electrodeketancove

• Hey There Lonely Girl- [Eddie Holman].
    ketan

Jimster said:
    Was listening to Sarah over the weekend a lot.  Damn, she could sing.  Even when she was sick AF...

thanks, hadn't seen this.  

she was one of my gateways into jazz as a teenager.  stunning.

Electrode

I've never been a huge fan of jazz in the 1980s but then, I did watch a lot of Night Court...

ElectrodeJimster

• Tribe vibes volumes 2

That is my favorite CSN&Y song but "Wooden Ships" is a close second. 

ketan said:
    I've never been a huge fan of jazz in the 1980s but then, I did watch a lot of Night Court...

Always loved this tune.  R.I.P. Mike Brecker.  Eliane Elias must be about 19 here?

Electrode said:

Dem tune dem

The Weather Report lineup at the time never did it for me, I was always a Pastorius/Acuna/Badrena stan and so I apologise in advance.  I'm also going to venture I have yet to get Zawinul's melodic sense, before I pull my neck into my shell, like a bloodclat Bowser.

I'd forgotten about Clutch, they sound way better to me now than they did to me back then.  Pretty tuff.  My brother will be down.

I was not familiar with the Chico, it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on... A Bill Laswell joint?

Yes, "Heavy Weather" with those three is a classic, as is Jaco's self-titled before he joined WR. I was reminded of Clutch's debut because I saw that they have a new album out. Takes me back to the good-bad ol' days when I was young and angry. I was reminded of that Chico Science because of their cover of "Maracatu Atomico", which appears on their follow-up before his deadly accident and in the Ayrton Senna doc from 2010 which I watched a few months ago. There are similarities to Praxis.

Praxis maybe... Also I think it was this, a band my brother loves:

"Roots" in my Walkman all day back then!

Chico Science & Nação Zumbi were big into Sepultura:

but Sepultura was really into them too, Roots definitely bears the influence of their sound.

Legend has it that the dudes from The Prodigy were also into them, and their music was an influence on Fat of the Land. Not sure how much I believe that, although I could see them having passed through Brazil and listening to the band.

Jimster

every once in a while I go an afrobeats/amapiano kick. I like how chill that stuff can be. Recently stumbled onto this singer:

JimsterElectrodeketan

Met up with the one @djwaxon to catch these guys last week.  Great gig.  Got a real West Coast/Yachty Pippen/Doobie/BeeGee vibe.  

Young Gun Silver Fox - Rolling Back (Official Video)

• If You Can Want-The Miracles

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thanks Jimster for hipping me to Young Gun Silver Fox

Sophistipop of the highest tier

• I Want You-Marvin Gaye