what r u listen'n 2

1235»

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    skel said:
    Thanks Jimster for hipping me to Young Gun Silver Fox

Sophistipop of the highest tier

They are touring the U.S. and A and Canadia this month.  I wouldn't sleap on it if you get the opportunity.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,099 Posts
    I'm just getting into the recording of the De La release party/tribute to Dave from earlier tonight and Rich Medina starting things off nice with a mix of actual classics (think: Stezo) and rarities. I don't think I know that remix of 10 Crack Commandments.

Damn, there's some ill breaking to Kane atm and the crowd looks barely hyped. many cell phones. not enough hands in the air.

Rich is killing is tho.

edit: okay, jungle bros and the crowd is sufficiently loose now 
    Duderonomy

got a copy of Soft Space recently and this song is on repeat:
    Beatducer Jimster

All the early Jef Lorber Fusion has fire on it, even when the one Kenny Gorelick came onboard.  Them cats wuz having a blast.  A solid run of albums, if you like your fusion.

Jimster said:
    if you like your fusion.

it's a wide open space, fusion.  there are lanes i really like, but i'm always walking a fine line.    

grew up really into making music/those shakti albums that john mclaughlin and zakir hussein put together - my parents were really into that stuff.  shows you how interesting things can get.

fusion can be really rewarding, or pretty wanky.    

this new muggs album where he's sampling sun ra/arkestra is dope:

https://nowagainrecords.bandcamp.com/album/notes-tones-album-and-wine

can't find the first track on the album online but here's a just as interesting trio version
    Jimster

ketan said:

fusion can be really rewarding, or pretty wanky. 

Absolutely this.

I've come to learn they are either showing off how clever they are, or trying to make you feel something.  Or annoyingly for the divisive, black-and-white pigeon-holes of internet opinions, both.  Some days I find Allan Holdsworth like a wasp in my ears.  Other days, you really feel propelled by that angular shredding.  And I still can't ride for certain acts that have exactly all the pieces in place for me to lap that shit up - Like for example, Snarky Puppy.  By any genius algorithm, they should be exactly up my street, but nothing I've heard makes me want to rewind it instantly.  Same with Vulfpeck.  They should on paper be more soulful than Allan but I can feel some of them licks, right?

I used to be salty I was not able to play at this level.  Nor will I ever be able to.  It's a bitter pill that I don't think I'll ever fully digest.  Maybe my mistake was trying to play instruments, because the more you play, it just reveals how big the climb is.  Times I find myself getting pissed because I know I that child-prodigy shredding Coltrane at 2 x speed on an upright bass at 14 years old has rendered my noodlings into a speck in their rear-view mirror.

To be honest, I don't think doing something hard just because it's hard is the best use of anyone's time, if nobody other than the a few musicians understand it.  Just copping the stuff that makes me feel something now.  I think that's actually rarer than the incredible-playing-type fusion, when some mug stringing two nice chords together hits harder.  And you can find that in Dilla, Joni, gospel keys, some singer singing it like they mean it... I guess that's harder than the million notes, no?

Electrode

• yeah, sometimes i have to clean my palate after something noodly (and I have most likely a far lower tolerance for million note mans/chops-flexin/noodling fusion type stuff than you guys) with, like, the bassline to lou donaldson hamp's hump. like not even listening to the track, just imagining a dumb-ass simple groove line like it that does not innovate or challenge at all but is like a warm blanket and sticks with me.

Jimster

still giving a lot of time to the sza and panda bear/sonic boom albums. the andy shauf album, norm, is just so good too. there's a whole concept to the album so if you end up addicted to it, you should czech this interview: https://ourculturemag.com/2023/02/10/andy-shauf-breaks-down-every-song-on-his-new-album-norm/

• Groovy World-The Unifics
    Duderonomy

• I got some Jazz vocals going on with[ Manhattan Transfer- Chaka Khan- Rare Silk-The HI-Lo's]

• Toast , Eggs , Coffee and … 

• Title track is incredible!