TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Cheers for the words guys. Burying my head in work seems to be the best solution. And going out and enjoying the Canadian autumnal colours.

etc
    Jimsterklezmer electro-thug beatsElectrodeppadilhaketan

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I know Teh Brits will probably never get over 1986, but c'mon

Duderonomy

I was discussing The Hand of God with a friend today, and I said that I forgave him over time, and my friend replied that he forgave him immediately and supported Argentina for the remainder of the tournament. Upon reflection I realised that I also forgave him immediately, but I would say I supported Maradona - and not so much Argentina - for the remainder because he was simply the greatest player I’d ever seen (or have since).

What really did change over time was that I went from being angry that Maradona had cheated to happy. England were involved in one of the most controversial moments in football history thanks to Maradona. He scored the worst ever World Cup goal and the best ever World Cup goal against us, and for a great player to raise his game like that is a kind of respect. Damn he hated us.

RIP to the true GOAT.

Also I think in general the perceived English saltiness about Maradona is exaggerated. A poll asked English people what was the worst World Cup goal ever scored and they said the hand of god. When the same people were asked about the best goal at a World Cup, they said his 2nd goal against England. My answers would be the same.

http://youtu.be/s7ZjU-6iSwk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Can someone translate?

What a legend - RIP to one of the GOAT Earthlings.  

Duder, sorry to hear about your dad passing.  Can't be easy to deal with that.  Glad you've got some nice places to get lost near you.  Did you end up in MTL or are you living nearby?

Duderonomy

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts

he had a brief moment of lucidity. Opened his eyes wide, said ‘Hey butthead... this sucks’. According to my cousin and the nurses, that was the last coherent thing he ever said. 

Damn. This struck a chord. 

Duderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    ketan said:

Can someone translate?

I have trouble keeping up with fluent, verbal Spanish but I caught, "excuse me, ladies", "they suck" and "black or white, not grey". So I searched and found this:

"Con perdón de las damas, que la chupen. Que la sigan chupando. Yo soy blanco o negro, gris no lo voy a ser en la vida. Ustedes me trataron como me están tratando. Sigan mamando".

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Also I think in general the perceived English saltiness about Maradona is exaggerated. 

Think again.

Naah, what's done is done.  There's the Ronaldo wink-off, the cun actor who got Beckham sent off, the Lampard four miles over the line disallowed goal, the Sol Campbell header disallowed, the list of how England lose or are defrauded in massive games (in events that are not strictly football-related) goes on and on.

Great player.  No-one been close to his level for a long time.

Duderonomy

ketan said:

Duder, sorry to hear about your dad passing.  Can't be easy to deal with that.  Glad you've got some nice places to get lost near you.  Did you end up in MTL or are you living nearby?

As the time passes I'm finding it's that sense of "...oh, I should give dad a call - wait, nope" that's depressing. Unlearning good habits - that's the stinker. He unintentionally cut the ties at his end and now I have to intentionally do the same at my end.

We She chose a lab in Quebec city*, but we've been to Montreal a few times and loved it. Quebec is really nice (and after Barcelona soooo clean and peaceful), but there's a lot more life in Montreal. She's speculated that if a position turned up in MTL she'd be happy to live there for a year or two although for the foreseeable she's tied to a recent government scholarship connected to her current lab/research project. Lockdown was eased this summer and we went to Gaspesie (super beautiful) for a week, and have been exploring a lot of the national parks and doing some great hiking trails. Canada has impressed upon Dudette that actual changing seasons make for a stronger sense of nature being in your life, and she's really enjoying it. Spain is more loooong hot, and then some rain for a very short winter, boom, another year gone.

*She had another offer in Philly, but Trump's covid response has been a reason to be happy for the relative safety of the great white north, and more than once we've both looked at scenes in the US and been Damn, glad we came to Quebec.

Jimster

We She chose a lab in Quebec city*, but we've been to Montreal a few times and loved it. Quebec is really nice (and after Barcelona soooo clean and peaceful), but there's a lot more life in Montreal. She's speculated that if a position turned up in MTL she'd be happy to live there for a year or two although for the foreseeable she's tied to a recent government scholarship connected to her current lab/research project. Lockdown was eased this summer and we went to Gaspesie (super beautiful) for a week, and have been exploring a lot of the national parks and doing some great hiking trails. Canada has impressed upon Dudette that actual changing seasons make for a stronger sense of nature being in your life, and she's really enjoying it. Spain is more loooong hot, and then some rain for a very short winter, boom, another year gone.

*She had another offer in Philly, but Trump's covid response has been a reason to be happy for the relative safety of the great white north, and more than once we've both looked at scenes in the US and been Damn, glad we came to Quebec.

Sounds grand, really.  I'm definitely jealous about the nature you can explore there - always wanted to see more of Quebec.  If you ever leave Quebec Ciy, I'm sure you'll back on it as an idyllic place to be, if a bit boring and xenophobic.  

Yeah, I grew up appreciating the seasons as a canuck, and then left for tropical/sub-tropical places for about 8 years - nary a snowflake in sight - and since moving back to canuckistan, winter is something to endure...  

Duderonomy

As the time passes I'm finding it's that sense of "...oh, I should give dad a call - wait, nope" that's depressing. Unlearning good habits - that's the stinker. 

Sorry to hear that L*o. 

Same here.  Been seeing Christmas cards and tins of shortcake biscuits (Legit has to have Deer/Stag Combo artworks or your (sic) soft) which we always got for him but, no.. not this year.  Or ever.  And seems mum has took a nosedive - she's unable to look after herself and has gone into a home.  From speaking to her oldest friends, looks like she has had an eating disorder for years (swapping gin for food and other bulimia-R behaviours) and it was not talked about by my dad or anyone that knew.  Now it's all caught up with her.

But she's currently in hospital because she's got t3h Covids.  What she comes out like (if at all) is going to be a lottery but we did our best.  She is somehow very resilient.  They told her ten years ago she would die if she started drinking again but she's gotten away with it.  She should hit up the tequila with you, bud!  God that was a messy evening in London.  Wandering around with a bag of vinyl, barely able to stand up, couldn't find my room.  I was in the wrong building.  Slept through all alarms and missed about 5 calls from Skel.  Went to the bathroom to do the old technicolour yawn.  Apparently I'd been there before during the night because it was already like an explosion in a soup factory.

Cleaned it up, just caught the train.  Realized I'd left all my clothes in the wardrobe.  I never got them back.  I did however, keep the vinyl on me at all times.

Apropos of nothing - thanks to the Strutmen @ppadilha @billbradley @Electrode for helping out with the offloadings and generally for keeping the Strut forums going, it's the only place I would ever talk this kind of shit on the internet.

DuderonomyElectrodeppadilhaDORbillbradley

I know that many, particularly in the UK and Canada, don't have a favo(u)rable view of the US and I get it, but you guys are friends who I've never met and are welcome if ever you find yourselves in Southern California. 
    DuderonomyJimster

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    ketan said:
    ppadilha said:

Can someone translate?

What a legend - RIP to one of the GOAT Earthlings.  

for context, Maradona had been hired as coach for Argentina's national team and they were on the brink of not qualifying with something like 3 games left. His first game in charge was a 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Bolivia in La Paz (non-South Americans I don't think understand what playing at the top of the Andes with zero time to acclimate does to someone). They then won their last 2 games and managed to qualify by their skin of their teeth.

So Maradona wanders into the press conference afterwards and delivers this speech to the press:

“[We qualified] with nobody’s help. With all the honours. Beating a great team, as is the Uruguayan team, which played their own life on the field. And we won as men … to those who do not believe, to those who did not believe, now suck my dick – I’m sorry ladies for my words – and keep on sucking it … You treated me as you did, now keep on sucking dicks … I’m grateful to my players and to the Argentinian people; I thank no one but them. The rest, keep on sucking dicks.”

DuderonomyketanJimsterElectrode

Oh wow, thanks for the translation! 

Sad to hear your mum’s condition is so bleak Jimster. Maybe she’ll come through and a brush with mortality will scare her sober? Fingers crossed.

b/w sounds like you need more practice with tequila LOL. I remember it as a good night out in London but no digestive issues. Good to see that even in a state of extreme inebriation you had your priorities straight with teh chud though.

And @Electrode... sorry if there’s too much negativity around the US. Imagine you’re in a bar, and there’s this loud dude who’s a bit drunk and is always fighting. You know the guy is probably decent, but for some reason whenever he’s in public he feels that he’s got brag that he’s the greatest, and you just wish he’d chill with the pissing contest. Lots of Americans have no wish to be seen this way, but the guys in charge don’t do enough to change things, so everyone else is left rolling their eyes wondering how long it will take for the loud braggart to chillax. In the past I’ve got under people’s skin being critical (particularly Rockadelic) of the US, but I’m half American, lived there to the age of 6-7, first school experiences were there, spent summers going back to see my dad all my life, and the criticism (for me at least) stems from wanting to see your own heritage/roots DO BETTER. That’s really what it comes down to. Decades of explaining to US relatives why I don’t want to live there? Shouldn’t have been necessary. And in case you’re wondering about courage of my convictions, I was happy enough to carry the Brit passport, but post-Brexit, my next one will be Spanish. I’ll renounce that shit in a heartbeat for the same reasons I come down hard on the US. Fucking DO BETTER Britain, if you can’t, adios.
    One thing I’ve learnt from a mixed nationality nomadic upbringing is there are great people everywhere... and arseholes too!
    Anyone ever in Quebec and I’ll be more than happy (COVID allowing) to meet up, if I’m in a big enough apartment by then accommodation may be a possibility too (pending Dudette’s approval).

and Ketan, we are enjoying the Quebec City experience, and actually I don’t find them xenophobic... maybe as a result of marrying a Catalan I’ve got plenty of sympathy for people wanting to preserve their language and culture. I try a little French and always apologise profusely for being so retarded and everyone we’ve met has been happy to talk in Frenglish and been hospitable, warm and curious.
    ElectrodeJimster

and Ketan, we are enjoying the Quebec City experience, and actually I don’t find them xenophobic... maybe as a result of marrying a Catalan I’ve got plenty of sympathy for people wanting to preserve their language and culture. I try a little French and always apologise profusely for being so retarded and everyone we’ve met has been happy to talk in Frenglish and been hospitable, warm and curious.

I figure if I lived there, I'd be obese off daily Paillard and beer.  So good luck with that.

I had a good debrief about Bill 21 with a Quebecer a couple of years back and I it's a hard one to fully accept.  But yeah, shouldn't write off a population like that.  

Oh you married a Catalan!  The struggle is real for them.

Jimster - i'm glad your mum is resilient.  Wishing her the best.
    ElectrodeJimster

ketan said:

I had a good debrief about Bill 21 with a Quebecer a couple of years back and it's a hard one to fully accept.  But yeah, shouldn't write off a population like that.

Ignorance is bliss! Not sure I want to find out what Bill 21 is about 

It's a ban against religious symbols in the public service that resonated with a lot of people who don't like Muslim women wearing hijabs.  So for example, female Muslim teachers can no longer wear hijab. An oppressive way to separate church and state...

Started watching this Maradona doc by Asif Kapadia last night and so far it's 

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I know this thread is for soccer and the existentialist threat that is the end of our meaningless existence but I wanted to ask:

what do Brits think of The Crown? I’ve watched a few episodes here and there and it seems good to me but I could imagine a British show about an American presidency seeming strange. 

So: bullocks or brilliant?

(the only two brit adjectives I know)

dizzybull said:
    I know this thread is for soccer and the existentialist threat that is the end of our meaningless existence but I wanted to ask:

what do Brits think of The Crown? I’ve watched a few episodes here and there and it seems good to me but I could imagine a British show about an American presidency seeming strange. 

So: bullocks or brilliant?

(the only two brit adjectives I know)

Hey G*ry... it's "Bollocks".  Slang for testicles.  It can mean good or bad, depending on context.

"It's THE bollocks" = good.

"It's the dog's bollocks" = very good (see "Donkey's knob")

"He's got some bollocks doing that" = he has some bravery.

"He's talking absolute bollocks" = he's full of shit.

"It's bollocks" = bad

I guess it's like when something is shit, or theee shit.

I've never watched the crown but from all accounts it's good.  Yours included.  But also fug them.  Muhfugs be starving out there.

Duderonomy

I passed by the former Bullock's Wilshire building today.

Jimster said:

As the time passes I'm finding it's that sense of "...oh, I should give dad a call - wait, nope" that's depressing. Unlearning good habits - that's the stinker. 

Sorry to hear that L*o. 

Same here.  Been seeing Christmas cards and tins of shortcake biscuits (Legit has to have Deer/Stag Combo artworks or your (sic) soft) which we always got for him but, no.. not this year.  Or ever.  And seems mum has took a nosedive - she's unable to look after herself and has gone into a home.  From speaking to her oldest friends, looks like she has had an eating disorder for years (swapping gin for food and other bulimia-R behaviours) and it was not talked about by my dad or anyone that knew.  Now it's all caught up with her.

But she's currently in hospital because she's got t3h Covids.  What she comes out like (if at all) is going to be a lottery but we did our best.  

She went this morning.   I think she'd had enough to be honest and was deliberately not eating or drinking sufficiently to carry on.  I drove up there and back Tuesday evening to say my goodbyes, she was asleep and couldn't be woken, but looked in peace.  I guess when you are 82, have osteoporosis, failing eyesight and hearing, and just lost your partner of 60+ years, you think it's your time.  Or it could have been the Covid, although she wasn't on a ventilator.  But at least this one wasn't a surprise, it was just a shame she's gone so soon after my dad.  I think frustration at her ill-health is what did him in.  Either way, it's over and I don't have to keep waiting for "The Call" anymore.

Anyway kids - nearly Christmas - :that gif of Leonardo Di Caprio raising a glass: 

10 Leonardo DiCaprio GIFs in Honour of Your Boo Boos Birthday - FLARE

Electrode said:
    I passed by the former Bullock's Wilshire building today.

More dick than balls!  

DuderonomyElectrode

Sorry to hear this news, Jimster.  Glad you got to see her in peace before she passed.  Take care of yourself this holiday season, buddy.  
    JimsterDuderonomyElectrode

ketan said:
    Sorry to hear this news, Jimster.  Glad you got to see her in peace before she passed.  Take care of yourself this holiday season, buddy.  

Thanks Ketan.  It's kind of a load off now.  I know some friends who have folks in long spirals of dementia or off/on cancer therapy, which I am happy to have swerved.  I am actually looking forward to Christmas to cheer us all up.  I mean, it's been a fucker of a year for everyone.

Duderonomy

I hear that. 

I've been so overwhelmed with work/family duties all year, and I have to start teaching in January and haven't even started prepping for how to do it online yet, but I am absolutely taking the holidays to brighten myself up!  Sleep, merriment and music... then everything else, for me.
    Duderonomy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Jimster said:

She went this morning.   I think she'd had enough to be honest and was deliberately not eating or drinking sufficiently to carry on.  I drove up there and back Tuesday evening to say my goodbyes, she was asleep and couldn't be woken, but looked in peace.  I guess when you are 82, have osteoporosis, failing eyesight and hearing, and just lost your partner of 60+ years, you think it's your time.  Or it could have been the Covid, although she wasn't on a ventilator.  But at least this one wasn't a surprise, it was just a shame she's gone so soon after my dad.  I think frustration at her ill-health is what did him in.  Either way, it's over and I don't have to keep waiting for "The Call" anymore.

Anyway kids - nearly Christmas - :that gif of Leonardo Di Caprio raising a glass: 

10 Leonardo DiCaprio GIFs in Honour of Your Boo Boos Birthday - FLARE

RIP. 

Take care Jimster

DuderonomyJimster

Definitely unburden yourself of any guilt or angst or whatever and get some well-deserved R&R Jimster. Looking back and for me the whole time was tiring worrying and wondering about what was going to happen, and how bad the suffering was.
    Maybe it's enviable that it doesn't sound like she feared death.

Have a really good one with your nearest & dearest man.
    ElectrodeDORJimster