Artistes everyone likes but you don't?

Comments

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    The Roots
    Dylan
    Kanye (as a rapper. I rate his production as top five)
    Tupac
    Erykah Badu
    Common
    Kendrick Lamar (out of everything he's done, I can think of less than five songs I like and half that's with him as a feature)
    Wiz
    Mac Miller
    Aubs

I listen to a good many artists whose personal conduct ran/runs from questionable to revolting. I've been able to separate the art from the artist...til R Kelly.
    Within the past year or so, it's become impossible to hear him without my skin crawling. Officially done with that.

• Mark4Mark4 Manziel Brozier 13 Posts
    Let's see:

Zach Brown Band
    Jimmy Buffet
    Kenny Chesney

and I can go on....

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Ok now I keep forgetting if I'm in the duechbag thread or what's going on here. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    deezlee said:
    Ok now I keep forgetting if I'm in the duechbag thread or what's going on here. 
    interchangeable

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Northern.

And I am Northern

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    RAJ..........hating on zappa?

GTFOOHWTBS

c’mon dude you can’t be serious,or you have not spent any time diggin to the moisture
    especially since you play guitar!

and admit to getting into the dead?

one of the first examples of two hand tapping in a guitar solo on a rock lp 

then.......

\
    it’s endless

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I've said it years ago here and got trashed for it, but I'll say it again: John Coltrane.

I'm just being real.

I'll play A Love Supreme over and over again every once in a while, but I honestly don't get it, even though I'm trying to.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Ban
    para11axketanJimster

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    para11ax said:
    I've said it years ago here and got trashed for it, but I'll say it again: John Coltrane.

I'm just being real.

I'll play A Love Supreme over and over again every once in a while, but I honestly don't get it, even though I'm trying to.

maybe you should just say you're not into jazz?

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Future. Dirty shite. 

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

I'll say the artists I don't like (or never got into) that everybody likes include (in no particular order):

-cosign on Common

-Elvis Presley

-cosign on Tupac

-Jay-Z

-Coldplay

-Taylor Swift

-Naughty by Nature

-Dire Straits

-New Edition

-Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince

-Heavy D & the Boyz

-Lil' Wayne

-Too Short

-Smokey Robinson (I like certain songs)

-Diana Ross (I only like a few songs here and there; weak voice-related)

-co-sign on Jimmy Buffet

-Dave Matthews Band

-Patti LaBelle (her yelling grates on my nerves)

-Luther Vandross (I only liked his early stuff)

-Alicia Keyes

-Alanis Morrisette

-Katy Perry

-Guns N' Roses

-The Cranberries

-Bon Jovi

-Rihanna

-Maroon 5

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

kala said:
    RAJ..........hating on zappa?

GTFOOHWTBS

c’mon dude you can’t be serious,or you have not spent any time diggin to the moisture
    especially since you play guitar!

it’s endless
    Appreciative of Zappa?  Sure.  I like what he stood for (anti-corporate and his ability to recruit insane musicians).  Never got into his guitar playing, though.  Steve Vai is cut from the same cloth and his playing makes my ears bleed. 

Hot Rats is the only Zappa record I could Really get into.  His songs are too scatterbrained for me and I find the subject matter too pretentious.  

With all that said I would love to see this documentary!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alexwinter/frank-zappa

RAJ said:
    Never got into his guitar playing, though.  Steve Vai is cut from the same cloth and his playing makes my ears bleed.
    Zappa is a lot more bluesy than Vai.  I get the feeling that Vai really felt compelled to out-, er...out-Halen van Halen.  It's like when "Scratch" World Champion DJs do whatever it is they do.  It's certainly way beyond the point of music.

Check out that Vid I posted up there.  Find "Cosmic Debris".  Really nice solo.  Love the metal pick tone.  Edit: It's at 39' 41"

Jimster said:
    RAJ said:
    Never got into his guitar playing, though.  Steve Vai is cut from the same cloth and his playing makes my ears bleed.
    Zappa is a lot more bluesy than Vai.  I get the feeling that Vai really felt compelled to out-, er...out-Halen van Halen.  It's like when "Scratch" World Champion DJs do whatever it is they do.  It's certainly way beyond the point of music.

Check out that Vid I posted up there.  Find "Cosmic Debris".  Really nice solo.  Love the metal pick tone.  Edit: It's at 39' 41"
    @Jimster 

You ever hear this record?

This was the most "palpable" of his records...It's a home recording with a heavy Zappa influence.

ppadilha said:
    para11ax said:

I'm just being real.

I know, right?

But most of my collection IS jazz, which makes it all the more frustrating.

I dunno. I'll play that shit again tonight and see if it sticks.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

para11ax said:
    ppadilha said:
    para11ax said:

I'm just being real.

I know, right?

Try a different Coltrane album.. How about the one in my avatar? @para11ax

para11axJimster

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

To contribute to the multiple bad looks in this thread, I'll throw CAN into the ring.

I've tried, and I'm sure will try again, but they've never lived up to the hype for me. Great drummer though.

cai said:

para11ax said:
    ppadilha said:
    para11ax said:

I'm just being real.

I know, right?

Try a different Coltrane album.. How about the one in my avatar? @para11ax

That's actually a great idea.

Coltrane and Ornette Coleman are 2 cats that I just don't get. But yeah, duh, I should try a bunch of different albums before writing them off.

"Giant Steps" > "A Love Supreme", deffo.

Maybe even Booker Ervin > Coltrane some days

I can't get with Ornette either. 

Or a lot of Wayne Shorter's stuff.

Maybe it's because I am a moronic bass player who wants almost everything to swing, but life is too short for some meandering shit.
    Duderonomypara11ax

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    para11ax said:

Coltrane and Ornette Coleman are 2 cats that I just don't get. But yeah, duh, I should try a bunch of different albums before writing them off.

try this one too:

obviously I don't expect everyone to ride for things like Interstellar Space, but I never thought of A Love Supreme being a difficult record in any way.
    para11ax

• bassie2 said:
    Kendrick Lamar (out of everything he's done, I can think of less than five songs I like and half that's with him as a feature)
    Aubs
    Kendrick is, for me, like System Of A Down: I get it and everything, but it mostly leaves me flat, but at the same time I'm heartened that something so charged and dense can get genuinely popular and engage broader culture. It's not for me, but I'm real glad it's out there for the kids to chew on. That sounds dismissive, but I don't mean it to be.

Your homeboy Drake, though, is baffling. I don't get that dude's appeal at all. He's good-looking and all (as long as he's not smiling), but he can't write, can't rap, can't dance, and can't seem to advance his correspondence-course mack. I've yet to hear a record by that dude that didn't sound like Adele, Jeremy Scott, and a Little Debbie Swiss Roll bound together into a single slowly rapping mummy. Like a remorseful Lloyd Banks, only less intimidating and more paid. No thanks.    
    bassie2 said:
    I listen to a good many artists whose personal conduct ran/runs from questionable to revolting. I've been able to separate the art from the artist...til R Kelly.
    Within the past year or so, it's become impossible to hear him without my skin crawling. Officially done with that.
    Yeah, I'm still working my way through dude, but I'm pretty close to the end. As recently as a couple years ago I had my physical media down to a couple singles with good instrumentals ("Happy People" and, god help me, "Freaky In The Club"), but I don't even fuck with those anymore, so I think that just leaves mp3s of "When A Woman's Fed Up" and "Be Careful." At some point I'll probably get there with those, too, though. Fuck that dude, for real and forever. (Gas face, too, to Chance The Rapper for putting him on one of two Chance The Rapper songs I halfway like. I get that Chano's like nine years old or whatever, and is, like Minnie Pearl, "just so happy to be here!", but still.)

I know the timing of this is shitty, but one of my big ones is Bowie. With the exception of maybe six or eight singles, I can only hang, not genuinely enjoy. I was born in '74, and I think if you're around my age and didn't have an older sibling or a cool friend to guide you around behind the curtain, what you were left with was the surface layer of Bowie in all his less-interesting 1980s ubiquity. And with that, you're gonna plateau. I was a teenage punk, uninterested in theatricality or performance or chameleonic quick-change, so to me the main message of Bowie seemed to be "It's okay--you don't have to mean things." I moved on, and never truly circled back.     
    cai

bassie2 said:
    Aubs
    Kendrick is, for me, like System Of A Down: I get it and everything, but it mostly leaves me flat, but at the same time I'm heartened that something so charged and dense can get genuinely popular and engage broader culture. It's not for me, but I'm real glad it's out there for the kids to chew on. That sounds dismissive, but I don't mean it to be.

Your homeboy Drake, though, is baffling. I don't get that dude's appeal at all. He's good-looking and all (as long as he's not smiling), but he can't write, can't rap, can't dance, and can't seem to advance his correspondence-course mack. I've yet to hear a record by that dude that didn't sound like Adele, Jeremy Scott, and a Little Debbie Swiss Roll bound together into a single slowly rapping mummy. Like a remorseful Lloyd Banks, only less intimidating and more paid. No thanks.    
    bassie2 said:
    Yeah, I'm still working my way through dude, but I'm pretty close to the end. As recently as a couple years ago I had my physical media down to a couple singles with good instrumentals ("Happy People" and, god help me, "Freaky In The Club"), but I don't even fuck with those anymore, so I think that just leaves mp3s of "When A Woman's Fed Up" and "Be Careful." At some point I'll probably get there with those, too, though. Fuck that dude, for real and forever. (Gas face, too, to Chance The Rapper for putting him on one of two Chance The Rapper songs I halfway like. I get that Chano's like nine years old or whatever, and is, like Minnie Pearl, "just so happy to be here!", but still.)

I know the timing of this is shitty, but one of my big ones is Bowie. With the exception of maybe six or eight singles, I can only hang, not genuinely enjoy. I was born in '74, and I think if you're around my age and didn't have an older sibling or a cool friend to guide you around behind the curtain, what you were left with was the surface layer of Bowie in all his less-interesting 1980s ubiquity. And with that, you're gonna plateau. I was a teenage punk, uninterested in theatricality or performance or chameleonic quick-change, so to me the main message of Bowie seemed to be "It's okay--you don't have to mean things." I moved on, and never truly circled back.     

Welcome back, James.
    RAJ

Don't scare him off!
    para11ax

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    Aubs

bassie2 said:

• Mark4Mark4 Manziel Brozier 13 Posts

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

JIMMY BUFFET

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Y'all should rename this thread The Crochety bitter old men Circle Jerk.

damo

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Y'all should rename this forum The Crochety bitter old men Circle Jerk.

damo
    fxd
    you're welcome

the_dL said:
    SPlDEY said:

damo
    fxd
    you're welcome
    You're thinking waxi bro.

This place is more like grumpy old men reminiscing over the golden era.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    para11ax said:
    the_dL said:
    SPlDEY said:

damo
    fxd
    you're welcome

i was just being a smart ass  

the_dL said:
    para11ax said:
    the_dL said:
    SPlDEY said:

damo
    fxd
    you're welcome

i was just being a smart ass