Artistes everyone likes but you don't?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    once you realize that its bernard purdie on the drums and not ringo and its george martin that really made them who they are..you get past the four faces and realize its just good music (the later part of their career anyways)..

this is def in the top 5 of retarded shit I've read here. jesus.

What? This is magnificent!

I suspect dude is so uncomfortable with admitting to himself that he might actually like the Beatles that he's constructed this bizarre justification for the way that the music affects him: "The Beatles were really a Bernard Purdie vanity project!"

Most important HipHOP producer since '95..? This is another POST.

Where's the JDILLA fans up in here?

Since '96.

And it's not another post because there's really no room for discussion--there is no other producer whose influence has dominated Black music the way Timbaland's has for that period. Nobody is even coming close.

• If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like frenetic club music that typically distances itself from hip-hop disguised as hip-hop.

Point taken.
    Without getting into some kind of "state of hip-hop" argument, let me say that a large percentage of dudes that ignore non-traditional hip-hop producers (read: non-NYC) are completely overlooking and perhaps even purposefully ignoring (for their own nostalgic intent) the forward evolution of a particular music form.

Personally I think it's great that hip-hop is no longer doubles of Chic or 8-bit Brethren chops. It shows that the form is progressing, love it or hate it.

If the Beatles and a band like Faust (or Geinoyamashirogumi for that matter) can both still be called "Rock," then Timbaland is certainly as hip-hop as Black Moon or Cold Crush.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    timbaland

I somehow find it impossible that a person could find NOTHING to like from the this man's expansive body of work.
    If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like hip-hop.
    I said it.

I like Timbo but to say he's Hip Hop like THAT is an overstatement IMO. There a many production styles in the game that someone could easily ignore his style or lets say not prefer.

He's only the most important producer of the past decade--if that doesn't make him "Hip-Hop like THAT," I don't know what would.

And? Does DJ Premier working with Christina Aguilera somehow erase his body of rap productions? What about Dre working with Burt Bacharach or Gwen Stefani?

To my knowledge, Timbo seems to make it a requirement for an MC (other than those in his own crew) to have already crossed over to the realms of pop before being handed a track.

In most cases (at least that I've heard), the result has been

See: Becky rap.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    timbaland bashing is weak

but so is prince and tupac bashing.

Most important HipHOP producer since '95..? This is another POST.

Since '96.

And it's not another post because there's really no room for discussion--there is no other producer whose influence has dominated Black music the way Timbaland's has for that period. Nobody is even coming close.

Take me off of ignore and wake up to Lil Jon all up in yo grill.

timbaland

I somehow find it impossible that a person could find NOTHING to like from the this man's expansive body of work.
    If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like hip-hop.
    I said it.

I like Timbo but to say he's Hip Hop like THAT is an overstatement IMO. There a many production styles in the game that someone could easily ignore his style or lets say not prefer.

He's only the most important producer of the past decade--if that doesn't make him "Hip-Hop like THAT," I don't know what would.

And? Does DJ Premier working with Christina Aguilera somehow erase his body of rap productions? What about Dre working with Burt Bacharach or Gwen Stefani?

To my knowledge, Timbo seems to make it a requirement for an MC (other than those in his own crew) to have already crossed over to the realms of pop before being handed a track.

Shied, in your mindgarden everything that anyone's actually heard is Becky Rap.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

You are

• Most important HipHOP producer since '95..? This is another POST.

Since '96.

Take me off of ignore and wake up to Lil Jon all up in yo grill.

Do you think lil jon would have blown up without Timbaland coming before him?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dr.Dre w/ M&M and 50

Timbo output definitley is R&B heavy. His Missy/ Aaliyah/Genuwine stuff shapes his career.

If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like frenetic club music that typically distances itself from hip-hop disguised as hip-hop.

Point taken.
    Without getting into some kind of "state of hip-hop" argument, let me say that a large percentage of dudes that ignore non-traditional hip-hop producers (read: non-NYC) are completely overlooking and perhaps even purposefully ignoring (for their own nostalgic intent) the forward evolution of a particular music form.

Personally I think it's great that hip-hop is no longer doubles of Chic or 8-bit Brethren chops. It shows that the form is progressing, love it or hate it.

If the Beatles and a band like Faust (or Geinoyamashirogumi for that matter) can both still be called "Rock," then Timbaland is certainly as hip-hop as Black Moon or Cold Crush.

It's not that he ain't hip-hop. It's that he's not hip-hop that ultimately matters to a hip-hop audience. His steez is way too cutesy-pie.

• If you can't get to Timbaland, you simply don't like frenetic club music that typically distances itself from hip-hop disguised as hip-hop.

Point taken.

It's not that he ain't hip-hop. It's that he's not hip-hop that ultimately matters to a hip-hop audience. His steez is way too cutesy-pie.

Sure, to each his own.
    I would, though, suggest that you dig deeper than the radio and listen to the PRODUCTION on these records, not the vocalist.
    Ain't nothing cutesy about Tim's production.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

WOW.

it's this type of insight into the mind of the hiphop audience that the world has been deprived of for the past month...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Harvey, do you know actual rap fans??? I'm not talking about today, I'm talking when Timbaland dropped "Snoopy Track" or "Ryde or Die Bitch"

I disagree w/ that. He has plenty of street bangers that matter.

Dr.Dre w/ M&M and 50

Timbo output definitley is R&B heavy. His Missy/ Aaliyah/Genuwine stuff shapes his career.

Haha... Please.

Dre's work during the past decade hasn't even come close to reshaping the paradigm of rap production the way Tim's has. That's not to say that some of it hasn't been great, but let's be serious. We are talking about very good versus completely game-changing.

I disagree w/ that. He has plenty of street bangers that matter.

Please be kind and name some for me then.

Timbo simply doesn't carry much weight around Texas as he apparently does in other places.

You can't drop any of his shit in the midst of Fat Pat's Top Drop, Lil Keke's Southside, Lil Troy's I'm a Baller, etc. But you could certainly drop something from Mannie Fresh or Lil Jon or DJ Toomp and have it work just fine.

• alot of reasons people are giving imply they don't like particular music for 'sociological' reasons.

what??s wrong with that?

one of the crucial factors that shapes your musical taste is socialization, isn??t it? Whether you like or dislike[/b] a particular style of music / artist aso. depends on 'sociological' reasons a lot.

Harvey, do you know actual rap fans??? I'm not talking about today, I'm talking when Timbaland dropped "Snoopy Track" or "Ryde or Die Bitch"

Deej, you sound like somebody not familiar with the Harvey Canal/Archaic backstory.

In his mindgarden Project Blowed is pretty much the most important thing to happen in rap music ever, which is a long way of saying that, no, he evidently does not know any actual rap fans if he has persisted under that illusion for this long.

He's more fun than a barrel full of has-been hackey-sacking outer space granola rappers, though.

Deej, you sound like somebody not familiar with the Harvey Canal/Archaic backstory.

In his mindgarden Project Blowed is pretty much the most important thing to happen in rap music ever, which is a long way of saying that, no, he evidently does not know any actual rap fans if he has persisted under that illusion for this long.

He's more fun than a barrel full of has-been hackey-sacking outer space granola rappers, though.

I think it's about time for you to attend the Austin Record Convention as well.

• I think it's about time for you to attend the Austin Record Convention as well.

This is the new "Meet me by the bike racks after school."

I looked through Tim's production credits...

Jay-Z - Big Pimpin - of course a classic, but way too played out. Granted, Bun B does still do this at his live shows.

Jay-Z - Dirt Off of Your Shoulder - also way too played out.

Ludacris - Roll Out - great song, but hardly that real schitt.

Lil Kim - The Jump Off - same as above.

Petey Pablo - Raise Up - there we go, one song out of hundreds that could possibly withstand the down home Texas club test.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    because we all know 'what works in texas clubs' > harvey's actual opinion of how a song sounds

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"You must become one with the Texas clubs"

• Jay-Z - Big Pimpin - of course a classic, but way too played out.

This may be the crux of the biscuit for this entire thread. Do you (any of you) really hate these artist(e)s, or do you just feel like they're played out? For example: there is nothing wrong with "The Choice Is Yours," but I never ever need to hear it again.

That must be what some of you Prince-Dissers mean when you say you don't like him. Please?

• I looked through Tim's production credits...

Jay-Z - Big Pimpin - of course a classic, but way too played out. Granted, Bun B does still do this at his live shows.

Jay-Z - Dirt Off of Your Shoulder - also way too played out.

Ludacris - Roll Out - great song, but hardly that real schitt.

Lil Kim - The Jump Off - same as above.

Petey Pablo - Raise Up - there we go, one song out of hundreds that could possibly withstand the down home Texas club test.

ALL RADIO.

For real examination, check out the production on:

Southernaire All-Stars
    Mocha "Running Shit"
    Nicole "Make It Hot"
    Sista "Sista Bounce" (shit is 94!)
    Cavie
    Any Ludacris tracks that weren't radio singles (like "Phat Rabbit")

Hell, even the Lloyd Banks track "I'm So Fly" and Pastor Troy's "Are We Cutting" are mashing.

This list could feasibly go on forever.
    And if you can deny the progressive hip-hop nature of the music on Aaliyah's "Try Again" you must not have ears for forward-thinking beat-making, radio hit or not.
    Just saying.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "It's Hot (Some Like It Hot)" and "Snoopy Track" d00d.

THE ORIGINATORS..............

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    For example: there is nothing wrong with "The Choice Is Yours," but I never ever need to hear it again.

I guess I should forget about getting a drop from you for my all-"The Choice Is Yours" mixtape, huh?